Thread: Does anyone here collect Hockey Cards ?

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries

Does anyone here collect Hockey Cards ?

I was just going through one of my downstairs storage shelves, and i came across tons of hockey cards, most opened but a few sets that were still in the boxes.

Way back when i had tons of time, i started putting together a massive book of cards, as in all teams, alphabetical order, by team, then by player, and over the years i collected more cards than i had time to sort through, now i have tons of half done scrap book, unsorted cards, and cards still in sets.

Anyone collect, want some, etc...
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

Winnipeg Jets and Montréal Canadiens Moderator
    What years/era? My main interests are 1970's cards.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Sir, 1980-2000...etc.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

Early 80's are interesting to me. Ogrodnick, Maniego, Maruk, and such, etc...

I quit buying about 20 years ago but had amassed a pretty good collection by then, most mint rookies from ~'70-90, many duplicates, notables missing include Lafleur, Dryden, Gripesky (had a chance to buy about 10 mint ones for $35 each when I was a kid but since Messier, Bossy, Trottier, Dionne etc were going for $2-5 at the time thought they were overpriced...)
    "For me, I'd like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, 'You're a moron.' It doesn't really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud." - Gary Roberts.

LOL I almost, almost googled Gripesky to see who the hell he was...then it dawned on me...

Quote Originally Posted by yoata View Post
    I quit buying about 20 years ago but had amassed a pretty good collection by then, most mint rookies from ~'70-90, many duplicates, notables missing include Lafleur, Dryden, Gripesky (had a chance to buy about 10 mint ones for $35 each when I was a kid but since Messier, Bossy, Trottier, Dionne etc were going for $2-5 at the time thought they were overpriced...)

That stinks...Is that not the only hockey card left worth any kind of real money?

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimeHockey View Post
    That stinks...Is that not the only hockey card left worth any kind of real money?
    Actually don't have a clue what any of them are worth, haven't checked in years. Have 2 Lemieux rookies that iirc peaked around $500 (I paid $3-4) but that was when things got stupid (and I quit collecting), I think the Whiner cards were going for $2,500+ at one point.
    "For me, I'd like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, 'You're a moron.' It doesn't really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud." - Gary Roberts.

I collect Hockey cards...

SDHF Administrator
    Users License plate
    I have a box downstairs with over 10,000, but they are almost all from the era when cards were at their peak of popularity so they aren't worth much.

My son has the sticker book from the last three years, he completed the first one, we had trouble finding the stickers last year and lost interest, but this year he is into it again.

I used to get the sticker books every year.

Needs a new hobby
    Users License plate
    I Have Lots Collected Over The Years When I Was Kid And What My Dad Use To Have Range From 60s - Early 2000s , Have Over 150,000 Cards!! Mostly All In Stroage Would Never Get Rid Of Them!!

Quote Originally Posted by zukes View Post
    I have a box downstairs with over 10,000, but they are almost all from the era when cards were at their peak of popularity so they aren't worth much.

My son has the sticker book from the last three years, he completed the first one, we had trouble finding the stickers last year and lost interest, but this year he is into it again.

I used to get the sticker books every year.
    heh, I have one of those NHL sticker books somewhere from 1982, complete with a bunch of foils and such from when the Nucks lost to the Isle in the finals.