Thread: My Ode to "The Undertaker"...Dylan McIlrath

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries

My Ode to "The Undertaker"...Dylan McIlrath

Hell, the guy even has a cool name.

Rangers Ink Dylan McIlrath

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms with defenseman Dylan McIlrath.

McIlrath, 18, has skated in 59 games with the Moose Jaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League (WHL) this season, registering five goals and 18 assists for 23 points, along with 141 penalty minutes. He ranks third among team defensemen in points, goals and power play goals (two), and ranks third on Moose Jaw in penalty minutes. McIlrath established a career-high with his 18th assist of the season in a 5-3 win vs. Regina on March 1.

He has also tied his career-high with four multi-point performances this season, including back-to-back two-assist efforts on January 19 vs. Lethbridge and January 21 at Edmonton. McIlrath recorded at least one point in six of eight games from October 13 vs. Kootenay to November 5 at Regina, registering seven points (two goals, five assists) during the stretch.

In addition, he posted a career-high, four-game point streak from December 14 vs. Saskatoon to December 28 at Calgary, tallying five points (one goal, four assists) over the span.

Last season, McIlrath received Moose Jaw’s Most Improved Player Award for the second consecutive season, establishing career-highs in games played (65), goals (seven), points (24), penalty minutes (169), plus/minus rating (plus-20), and game-winning goals (two). He ranked second on Moose Jaw with a plus-20 rating, having made a plus-42 improvement in plus/minus rating over the previous season. He also tied for third among team defensemen in goals, assists and points, and led the Warriors and ranked seventh in the league in penalty minutes.

The second-year defenseman was selected to participate in the 2010 Canadian Hockey League (CHL) Top Prospects Game on January 20 as a member of Team Orr, and he finished second in the Hardest Shot event at the Skills Competition with a 91.8 mph shot. In addition, McIlrath registered one assist and 21 penalty minutes in seven playoff contests, making his WHL playoff debut on March 18 at Calgary and tallying his first career playoff point with an assist on March 23 vs. Calgary.

The 6-5, 215-pounder has appeared in 177 career WHL games over three seasons with Moose Jaw, registering 13 goals and 38 assists for 51 points, along with 412 penalty minutes. McIlrath captured Moose Jaw’s Most Improved Player Award following his rookie season in 2008-09. He made his WHL debut on September 19, 2008 vs. Swift Current, and registered his first career point with a goal on January 10, 2009 at Saskatoon. McIlrath has also tallied one assist and 21 penalty minutes in seven career playoff games with Moose Jaw.

The Winnipeg, Manitoba native was originally selected as the Rangers first round choice, 10th overall, in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

3rd Line
    Didn't think he would be ready so soon. Thought they said on draft day 3-4 years.
    We're at the point where we don't want respect, we want to win

– Landon Donovan

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/nyihater4life/lundqvist.jpg

Twitter: @nyihater4life

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Rangers prospect has surgery for dislocated kneecap

Written By Joe Yerdon on Jul 7, 2012, 12:19 PM

No one likes to see anyone get hurt playing hockey. For Rangers prospect Dylan McIlrath, he wins the award for having the most gruesome offseason injury. The Rangers announced McIlrath underwent surgery for a dislocated kneecap.

Hang on, I need a second because… OUCH. Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports there’s no timetable for when he will return or if he’ll be ready for training camp in September.

McIlrath was the Rangers’ top pick in the 2010 draft at 10th overall. The Rangers passed on Cam Fowler to pick him, and his game comes with a ferocious edge to it. At 20 years-old, he’s about ready to start challenging for a spot in the NHL. McIlrath spent last season finishing his time in junior hockey with Moose Jaw before ending the season in the AHL.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

All-Star
    Users License plate
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    The Rangers passed on Cam Fowler to pick him
    .....the Rangers might want to have a little chat with their scouting department about this one.
    Hall
    Eberle
    Lander
    Pouliot

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Hard-nosed defenseman Dylan McIlrath was on the ice Monday for another Rangers prospect camp, hoping to avoid an injury similar to the one that detoured his career 13 months ago.

The 6-5 McIlrath, picked 10th overall in the 2010 draft, dislocated his left knee in a collision with Kyle Jean. When he returned after surgery, still in pain, the Winnipeg native played 45 games for AHL Hartford. He had five assists and 125 penalty minutes, engaging in 13 fights with players who were testing him.

"I knew I had to step up a few times if I was going to play that way," said McIlrath, 21. "I'm not going to change my style, so I'm going to get asked [to drop the gloves]. I'm going to be that type of player. I think after your first year, you have respect in the league a bit more; I'm hoping that's the case."

The Rangers hope McIlrath's physical game will be an asset this season and beyond, and he believes he has "a legitimate shot'' to make the club. "The knee is not an excuse anymore," he said. Usually, McIlrath said, "I'm a little bit of a slow starter, and by the end of the season, I'm usually peaking. Last year was different . . . I think I plateaued."

McIlrath's injury typically takes a year to heal, and he has been home training and rehabbing for a month. "There's been no setbacks and the strength has been getting better," he said. "Hopefully by [training] camp, I'll be 100 percent."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    The New York Rangers will be sporting a new look tonight when they host Columbus at MSG.

Center Derick Brassard will miss his first game of the season — with a “sore posterior,” according to head coach Alain Vigneault — while rookie defenseman Dylan McIlrath will make his NHL debut.

McIlrath, 21, was the club’s first-round pick (1oth overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has appeared in 23 games for the Wolf Pack this season, scoring three goals and seven points.

The towering defenseman (6-foot-5, 215 pounds) spent all of last year in the AHL but felt he had “a legitimate shot” of making the NHL this season. A tough, physical player that isn’t afraid to fight, McIlrath was dropped from the Rangers just prior to the end of training camp.

He was recalled yesterday.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    "If tonight is you're first night at fight club, you have to fight"...

Dylan McIlrath's first NHL Fight

Big Props to B Mac for giving the kid his first shot, welcome to the NHL kid.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Rangers make roster cuts, McIlrath enjoys the perks of a former first round pick

October 1st, 2014 at 6:59 pm by Bill

The Rangers cut their roster to 34 today, assigning the following players to Hartford: : Conor Allen, Mat Bodie, Chris Bourque, Ryan Bourque, Tommy Hughes, Danny Kristo, Jason Missiaen, Nick Tarnasky, and Petr Zamorsky.

There weren’t any surprises in the cuts. Though it surely is disappointing that Kristo couldn’t make it to the final cut and I’m sure we all would have liked to see more of Mat Bodie in the pre-season games.

However, the omission of Dylan McIlrath is annoying. Particularly if it was at the expense of Conor Allen. McIlrath made it pretty clear with his play in the pre-season that he doesn’t belong in the NHL for the time being (or ever). Even when paired with Ryan McDonagh, the Rangers former first round pick struggled. Allen on the other hand, showed some promise. The fact he can skate at the NHL level is a bonus, something McIlrath will never be able to do. The ability to skate for a defenseman is sort of important these days, if you haven’t noticed.

Yet, here we are with McIlrath still enjoying training camp and the Rangers brass hoping and praying to squeeze anything of value out of a terrible draft day decision. Lets keep on pretending fellas.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    So it would seem that the former 1st round pick, which i admit was a reach is still around, yet struggling.

And despite bill's displeasure, it seems the brass has a reason to keep him around.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Rangers’ defense looking pretty Wolf Pack-ish tonight

Mike Halford, Nov 3, 2014, 1:44 PM EST

Ryan McDonagh, Kevin Klein and Dan Boyle are all hurt.

John Moore is suspended.

As such, the New York Rangers are leaning heavily on their AHL affiliate’s blueline for tonight’s tilt against the Blues.

The pairings:

Dan Girardi-Marc Staal

Matt Hunwick-Michael Kostka

Dylan McIlrath-Conor Allen

Girardi (34:50) and Staal (29:33) played gigantic minutes in Saturday’s 1-0 shootout loss to Winnipeg, and it’s safe to expect that to continue.

McIlrath and Allen will be making their season debuts tonight, while Kostka will play for just the third time all year. Vigneault recognizes his defensive depth is depleted, but he’s not about to use it as an excuse.

“They’re just part of the game,” Vigneault said about the losses, per the Bergen Record. “This game is about finding ways to win. That’s what we’ve got to do tonight.

“We’re playing against, in my book, one of the elite teams in the NHL. We’ve got to find ways with our team and that’s what we’re going to do.”

It’s likely many eyes will be on McIlrath tonight. The Rangers’ first-round pick (1oth overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, the towering defenseman has played in just two career NHL games, far fewer than fellow draft mates Erik Gudbranson (3rd overall, 178 games) and Cam Fowler (12th overall, 278 games).

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    There’s a real ‘last chance’ vibe at Rangers camp

Written By Mike Halford, Sep 22, 2015, 12:01 PM EDT

Dylan McIlrath and Oscar Lindberg have a few things in common. They’re both 23. Both were taken at the 2010 draft. Both split last year between New York and AHL Hartford, and both are facing what could be their last chance to become Rangers.

So says the New York Post, anyway.

First, the skinny on McIlrath:

This training camp truly does represent Dylan McIlrath’s last chance to make the Rangers, because if the 2010 first-rounder can’t earn a spot as the club’s seventh defenseman, he would have to clear waivers to remain in the organization at AHL Hartford.

Given his age (23), position (right side), and contract (one year at $600,000 NHL, $90,000 AHL), it is extremely unlikely McIlrath would clear. Indeed, if he can’t beat out journeyman Raphael Diaz for the spot, the Rangers most likely would seek to deal the defenseman in order to get at least something in exchange for losing him.

Then, Lindberg:

[He] would have to clear waivers in order to be assigned to the AHL Hartford Wolf Pack.

That’s unlikely given the combination of the 23-year-old’s upside and his modest $650,000 contract. Both he and the Rangers know it.

Which is why Lindberg’s last chance is likely his best chance, as the Rangers’ management and coaching staff are committed to giving him every chance to make the squad.

Of the two, McIlrath has the potential for bigger blowback. He was already considered a reach in his draft year — 10th overall, two spots ahead of Anaheim d-man Cam Fowler — and has failed to materialize at the NHL level. Losing him via waivers would compound what many already see as a mistake.

Losing Lindberg, a natural center, would be more understandable. The Rangers have a logjam down the middle — Derek Stepan, Derick Brassard, Kevin Hayes, Jarret Stoll and Dominic Moore — and there are questions about Lindberg’s ability to produce offensively.

That said, head coach Alain Vigneault has floated the idea of moving Lindberg to wing.

Whatever happens, the McIlrath and Lindberg situations are worth monitoring. The Post is right in that both would undoubtedly be scooped off waivers if made available, and everybody knows the scorn front offices face when they don’t get anything in return for departing assets

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Looks like the kid made the opening night roster...took him long enough.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Finally, the "undertaker" gets his 1st NHL Goal

12/15/15 vs

Congrats kid, took longer than I had expected, but good for you.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    10. (10) Dylan McIlrath, D, 6.0B
    Drafted: 1st round, 10th overall, 2010

Much talked about 2010 draft pick, Dylan McIlrath became a semi-regular NHL player in 2015-16 for the first time. Obviously, he has never been much for puck skills, so his two goals and two assists in 34 games is not terribly surprising, or relevant really, given his play style. Cutting away the draft pick itself, the controversy and all the hoopla, to just evaluate the player himself: McIlrath did just fine for a rookie in fairly limited time.

At 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, McIlrath is like Satan on skates for opposing forwards going to the net. His skating has improved overall; the stride still looks a bit goofy and loose, plus the lateral mobility is not as keen as coaches would like to see in the hyper-speed game that we have today, but he can survive if he reads the play well enough. If he can get down the positioning, he could end up being a Hal Gill type of player. Like Gill, McIlrath never passes up an opportunity to spank the puck on net from distance, as he is not a gifted passer or handler, but he can crank it. He is still a work in progress even at 24 years old, but if he can avoid chasing after hits on the rush, he has a future as a bottom pairing, physical defenseman.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Rangers sign McIlrath, narrow to-do list down to Kreider, Hayes

By James O'Brien, Jul 15, 2016, 10:07 AM EDT

The New York Rangers aren’t waiting until the last minute to handle every salary arbitration situation, although they still have some work to do.

The Rangers avoided arbitration with defenseman Dylan McIlrath via a one-year, $800K deal, according to the CBC’s Tim Wharnsby. New York recently confirmed that an agreement was made.

This comes after locking down promising forward J.T. Miller on Wednesday while New York still faces potential hearings with Chris Kreider (slated for July 22) and Kevin Hayes (July 27).

Locking up McIlrath to a reasonable deal provides optimism that the Rangers could take care of both Kreider and Hayes.

(For further reading on one of those scenarios, note that The New York Post’s Larry Brooks believes Kyle Palmieri‘s contract could stand as a comparable for Kreider.)

McIlrath, the 10th pick of the 2010 NHL Draft, is still attempting to carve out his place in the Rangers’ lineup. He played 34 of his 37 career NHL regular season games last season and added a playoff contest as well.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Getty

Report: Rangers hope to trade McIlrath

By James O'BrienOct 10, 2016, 9:10 PM EDT

Defense is an obvious question mark for the New York Rangers, and that’s before they possibly move first-rounder Dylan McIlrath.

The New York Post’s Larry Brooks and New York Newsday’s Steve Zipay are among those reporting that the Rangers are looking to trade McIlrath.

Brooks explains that free agent acquisition Adam Clendening “better suits the quick-decision, quick-puck-moving style” Alain Vigneault emphasizes.

The Rangers are in a pickle with McIlrath; they don’t want to waive the 24-year-old, yet he doesn’t seem to fit the bill in the eyes of management.

(Such a viewpoint is, erm, poorly received by certain Rangers fans.)

Beyond the obvious defensemen, the other players who might push McIlrath out of the mix include Nick Holden and Brady Skjei.

It’s weird to picture the Rangers giving up a young defenseman with some pedigree at a time like this, but McIlrath is in a funny place. Maybe a change of location would benefit him while netting the Rangers an asset or two at the same time?

That would be the ideal scenario, yet it’s also possible that things will be as messy as they’ll end up many nights in New York’s defensive zone.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Dylan McIlrath will watch Wednesday's game against the visiting Red Wings from the Madison Square Gardens press box

The young rearguard has dressed once this season, playing 9:14 and earning two minors, after sitting out the first two games. He dressed in 34 games in 2015-16, scoring two goals (34-2-2-4) on 28 shots.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Looking more and more like his days in NY are #'erd

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    McIlrath clears waivers, which may surprise a few people

By Jason Brough, Oct 28, 2016, 12:46 PM EDT

Alain Vigneault got his wish. Dylan McIlrath has cleared waivers and been assigned to AHL Hartford.

McIlrath, 24, was placed on waivers yesterday after getting into just one game for the New York Rangers through their first seven.

“Selfishly, I hope he clears waivers and goes to Hartford and plays,” the Rangers’ head coach said. “But if somebody would pick him up and give him an opportunity, I’d be very happy for him.”

Many speculated that McIlrath, a right shot, would get claimed, perhaps by a team like the Boston Bruins. But the emergence of rookie Brandon Carlo, combined with the return of Adam McQuaid from injury, made a claim less likely for the B’s. Carlo and McQuaid both shoot right, as does regular Colin Miller. (Ditto for Kevan Miller, though he’s on injured reserve with a broken hand.)

And so McIlrath remains a member of the organization that drafted him. Hartford plays tonight and tomorrow at home to Lehigh Valley and Utica, respectively.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Rangers cut bait on McIlrath, trade him to Panthers

By Jason Brough, Nov 8, 2016, 4:36 PM EST

The New York Rangers have traded defenseman Dylan McIlrath to the Florida Panthers for defenseman Steven Kampfer and a conditional seventh-round pick in 2018.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie was the first to report the trade. The condition on the deal is that McIlrath plays 30 NHL games this season. If that condition isn’t met, no draft pick will be exchanged, per McKenzie.

It’s an interesting swap in that both McIlrath and Kampfer have already been on waivers this season. McIlrath, 24, cleared two weeks ago and was assigned to AHL Hartford. Kampfer, 28, cleared yesterday and can now be sent to the AHL as well.

The fact the Rangers were able to get a pick out of the Panthers, albeit just a conditional seventh-rounder, suggests that McIlrath is the more valuable of the two d-men. Florida’s management, which has made no secret of its belief in analytics, may have been intrigued by McIlrath’s solid possession numbers last season, not to mention his size and toughness.

For the Rangers, the trade closes the book on McIlrath, whom they selected 10th overall in 2010.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Panthers send McIlrath to minors for conditioning

By Mike Halford, Jan 4, 2017, 10:49 AM EST

Dylan McIlrath, the former 10th overall pick Florida acquired from the Rangers in November, has been sent to the Panthers’ AHL affiliate on a conditioning loan, the club announced on Wednesday.

The decision comes after McIlrath had appeared in just four games since being acquired. His last came on Dec. 15, when he played sparingly (6:09 TOI) in a shootout loss to Winnipeg.

A big (6-foot-5, 236 pounds), physical defenseman, McIlrath came into the league high on promise but has failed to materialize, due in large part to his average skating ability and lack of offense.

There was hope within the Panthers organization he would add some needed snarl to the lineup, but neither head coach — Gerard Gallant or Tom Rowe — dressed McIlrath enough to make an impact.

Conditioning loans are of the two-week variety, so this will give McIlrath a chance to play some games. But it’s hard to see him jumping back into the Panthers lineup after that, especially if the club is still in the thick of the playoff chase.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Panthers recall McIlrath from AHL — but will they play him?

By Jason Brough, Jan 16, 2017, 12:31 PM EST

The Florida Panthers have recalled defenseman Dylan McIlrath from a conditioning stint in the AHL.

The question now is whether they’ll play him.

McIlrath has only appeared in four games for the Panthers since getting traded by the Rangers in November — and in three of those games, he logged less than 10 minutes of ice time.

On his conditioning assignment, the 24-year-old played six games for the Springfield Thunderbirds, scoring once with an assist and 13 PIM.

It seems unlikely that the Panthers would make any changes to their lineup after knocking off Columbus, 4-3, on Saturday. They start a four-game road trip tomorrow in Calgary.

McIlrath’s chances of playing may be limited due to the fact he’s a right shot and the Panthers’ back end already has three healthy right shots in Aaron Ekblad, Jason Demers, and Mark Pysyk.

Ekblad, Demers, and Pysyk have each played all 45 games this season. The leading candidate to be scratched is probably Jakub Kindl, a left shot.

So barring an injury, McIlrath may have to sit and wait some more. The Panthers have won four of their last six, and they’re not in a position to mess with success.

Alex Petrovic (ankle) is Florida’s only injured defenseman. Also a right shot, he could be ready to return in early February.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Getty

Panthers place Dylan Mcilrath, Paul Thompson on waivers

By Adam Gretz, Jan 31, 2017, 1:30 PM EST

The Florida Panthers made a couple of roster moves on Tuesday morning by placing defenseman Dylan McIlrath and forward Paul Thompson on waivers.

Mcilrath, originally a first-round pick (No. 10 overall) by the New York Rangers back in 2010, was acquired by the Panthers in a trade for Steve Kampfer earlier this season. He has been limited to just five games with the Panthers since the trade, logging just 48 total minutes of ice time and scoring a single goal.

Known more for his toughness and physical play, he has also recorded 10 penalty minutes in his limited role this season. He is likely headed back to Springfield of the American Hockey League where he has one goal and one assist in six games this season. The decision to waive Mcilrath comes just after Alex Petrovic returned to the lineup last week following a lengthy absence due to injury.

Mcilrath has appeared in just one game for the Panthers since Dec. 15, playing 8:49 in a shootout loss to the Edmonton Oilers back on Jan. 18.

Thompson, meanwhile, joined the Panthers organization this past offseason and has appeared in 21 games for the big club this season recording three assists in what has mostly been a fourth line role, logging just a little more than seven minutes of ice time per game when he has been in the lineup. The 28-year-old winger has spent much of the season in Springfield where he has 15 points (six goals, nine assists) in 20 games.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Panthers acquire Vanek for McIlrath, pick

By Mike Halford, Mar 1, 2017, 12:03 PM EST

Florida has added the goalscoring winger it wanted for a playoff push.

Thomas Vanek, who leads the Red Wings with 15 goals this season, has been acquired in exchange for defenseman Dylan McIlrath and a third-round pick, per TSN.

Vanek, 33, is on a one-year, $2.6 million deal. Detroit’s retaining 50 percent of his salary in this trade, so it’s an affordable pickup for the Panthers.

The Austrian winger should fit nicely into an offensively gifted group that includes Aleksander Barkov, Jonathan Huberdeau, Jaromir Jagr, Vincent Trocheck, Reilly Smith and Jussi Jokinen. Vanek should also help out on the power play, where he has five markers this season.

“Thomas is a proven scorer in this league who will add some offensive savvy and experience to our young group of forwards,” Panthers GM Dale Tallon said in a release. “We believe strongly in our group and we’re confident that he will help our power play and supplement our core effectively.”

As for the other side of things…

The Red Wings, who will see their 25-year playoff streak snapped, began selling off assets yesterday by flipping Brendan Smith to the Rangers, and Steve Ott to the Habs.

Early analysis has panned GM Ken Holland for his sub-par return for Vanek who — while somewhat flawed — has enjoyed a bounce-back season in Detroit, and has a history for finding the back of the net.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries