Thread: Oilers lose, disgruntled fan tosses jersey on the ice – again

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries

Oilers lose, disgruntled fan tosses jersey on the ice – again

Written By Cam Tucker, Oct 10, 2014

It happened again.

The Edmonton Oilers lost, this time it was their season and home opener to their long-time rivals, the Calgary Flames, and a disgruntled Oilers fan tossed their jersey on to the ice at the conclusion of the game.

After fighting their way back into the game with power play goals from Teddy Purcell and Taylor Hall, the Oilers couldn’t take the lead in the third period. In fact, that’s where they lost this one.

The Flames scored three times in the final 20 minutes, including a pair from Mason Raymond to complete his hat trick, for the 5-2 victory, which came about 24 hours after they lost to the Vancouver Canucks back in Calgary.

Yeah. Not the way the Oilers wanted to start this season. And another fan, angry with the result, tossed a jersey on to the ice, according to numerous reports on Twitter and a photo on The Canadian Press wire service.

Seems like this is the new tradition or something, as the Oilers look to show signs of an improving team.

In December of last year, a fan tossed a jersey on to the ice after a loss, prompting quite a response from head coach Dallas Eakins.

“Whoever threw that jersey on the ice, they’re out, they’ve given up, they’re a quitter,” said Eakins at the time. “We don’t want that here.”

That was in late-December. This is October. Game One out of 82.

“They’re easy adjustments on the goals they scored … These were honest mistakes. I did feel some guys were rusty at times,” said Eakins, as per the team’s Twitter account.

“I’m not going to walk out here and say we played crappy, because we didn’t. But we lost the game and that’s unacceptable,” he added.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

Colorado Avalanche Moderator
    Users License plate
    Blog Entries
    Frankly the Oiler fans are getting tired of it. They currently have the longest NHL playoff drought and it's hard as a fan. The team has had numerous opportunities to draft high, many years of building and still can't get it going.

It's been 8 years since a playoff spot. These fans want success and they want it now. I don't blame them.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    True, and if i was a fan, i'd be pissed as well...

However, imo the biggest way to make your feeling really known, is to stay away.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

Users License plate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    True, and if i was a fan, i'd be pissed as well...

However, imo the biggest way to make your feeling really known, is to stay away.
    As a jersey geek, throwing a perfectly good jersey onto the ice bothers me...I don't like that way of protest at all. If you are annoyed, don't go.

Greatest Ceeb Pool Champ of All Time
    its not like that don't have any talent...my God their team has loads of it...not sure what the problem is but this team should be winning.

Simon Boisvert‏

Marc Bergevin loves making trades involving 4th liners and 7th defensemen. He's fascinated by players similar to what he was back in the day

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Wanna know what the problem is...

It's Eakins, he sucks, simple as that.

I want Mayhem's opinion on this matter.

Greatest Ceeb Pool Champ of All Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    Wanna know what the problem is...

It's Eakins, he sucks, simple as that.

I want Mayhem's opinion on this matter.

he might be apart of the problem but I think it goes deeper than him....they were losing before he got there.

Simon Boisvert‏

Marc Bergevin loves making trades involving 4th liners and 7th defensemen. He's fascinated by players similar to what he was back in the day

Living Legend
    Users License plate
    Eakins employs a horrific version of the Swarm which is what the Leafs failed at last year. There is a picture floating around of 1 Flame being wide open and 4 Oilers below their own goal line.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Winnipeg Jets and Montréal Canadiens Moderator
    throwing a jersey is symbolic but a waste-

return your season tickets for refund.

SDHF Super Moderator
    Users License plate

i understand being pissed, but just don't waste the money on tickets. i can never imagine throwing a jersey on the ice, if you have the money to throw away donate it to charity.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    While a idiot fan hocking his jersey on to the ice may be funny, it's something i would never do.

No matter how much the bruins or flames could suck, i have to much love for my team, and respect for the uniform to ever resort to that.

If i wanted to make a statement, i'd stay home.

Users License plate
    Blog Entries
    As a jersey/memorabilia nut, this bothers me more than on a protest level. Such a waste, such a shame. I understand the frustration, I understand that Eakins is a tool, but I disagee fully with the protest. If you've given up, don't go. Save that seat for somebody who cares...

With that said, (s)he wouldn't do it if there wasn't immediate media reaction.