Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boston Bruins 2017/18 Season

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 25

3 5

Smith scores twice to lead Predators over Bruins 5-3

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- With his team struggling in the third period, Predators coach Peter Laviolette called a timeout that helped swing the momentum.

Craig Smith scored twice and added an assist, and Nashville held off the Boston Bruins 5-3 on Monday night.

Kevin Fiala had a goal and an assist, and Nick Bonino and Filip Forsberg also scored for Nashville, which has won three of four. Pekka Rinne made 37 saves.

Charlie McAvoy, Zdeno Chara and David Pastrnak had the goals for Boston, which won its previous two games.

After the Predators raced out to a 4-0 lead, the Bruins cut it to 4-3 at 5:48 of the third. Laviolette used his lone timeout to try and halt the surge.

"One, just to stop the game, maybe send it in a different direction," Laviolette said. "Two, just to send a message that we've got to keep playing. I thought we were playing too much defense at that point. We needed to get back on the attack and look to create some offense."

Forsberg scored 34 seconds later and Nashville never looked back.

On a delayed offside just inside the Predators blue line, Boston's David Backes could not touch the puck. Nashville captain Roman Josi picked up the puck and found Forsberg with a pass in the neutral zone, sending him in on a breakaway. Forsberg beat goalie Tuukka Rask with a wrist shot that glanced off the inside of the right post.

"It's kind of a goofy play that's offside, but it's still 140 feet from our net," Backes said. "I think we can maybe get onside, still pressure it and they send a long pass to our blue line and sneak behind us and score a goal to make it a two-goal game again."

Forsberg has at least one point in each of Nashville's 14 home games this season.

"We were struggling big there in the third," Josi said. "Obviously, two quick goals. You're up 4-1, you don't want to give up two quick goals. When (Forsberg) has that puck on a breakaway in a dangerous spot, he always scores."

Smith scored the game's first goal at 1:26 of the opening period. Boston goalie Anton Khudobin stopped Alexei Emelin's slap shot from the left point, but Smith was positioned in the slot to bang home the rebound.

Smith struck again with 17.4 seconds remaining in the first.

From the left point, Mattias Ekholm sent a pass to Smith in the slot, sending him in on a partial breakaway. Smith beat Khudobin high to the glove side with a wrist shot for his 11th of the season.

"Just shooting the puck, having fun, making plays," Smith said. "We've got a good line going right now. It's as simple as that. I don't think I've changed very much. Took some of that preparation from last year and just continued to do it through this year."

Bonino made it 3-0 at 2:15 of the second.

Bonino won a faceoff back to Viktor Arvidsson at the top of the left circle. Arvidsson's shot hit Colton Sissons and the puck bounced to Bonino on the left side, where he had a virtually open net to put in his fifth of the season.

Fiala's goal at 4:10 spelled the end of the night for Khudobin. He allowed four goals on 14 shots and fell to 7-1-2 this season.

"When we made mistakes, we allowed them the good ice uncontested," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "You can't do that against any team, let alone a team like Nashville. Some mistakes there that were big ones."

Rask made 10 saves in relief.

McAvoy got the Bruins on the scoreboard at 10:14 of the second on a power play. From behind the Nashville net, Danton Heinen sent a pass to McAvoy at the right faceoff dot, where he beat Rinne with a one-timer low to the far side.

Boston made things interesting early in the third, getting goals from Chara and Pastrnak 1:15 apart to draw within one less than six minutes into the period.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 26

6 1

BOSTON -- David Backes is on the board with the Boston Bruins -- twice.

Backes scored his first two goals of the season, helping the Bruins beat the Arizona Coyotes 6-1 on Thursday night.

It was Backes' fourth game back after he missed 12 straight following surgery to remove part of his colon. The veteran forward scored his first goal with Boston on a tip-in 13:54 into the second and then added another goal with 54 seconds left in the period.

"No question -- contributing offensively is a good feeling," he said.

Brad Marchand scored 15 seconds into the game for the Bruins, who won for the seventh time in nine games. David Krejci, Danton Heinen and Anders Bjork also scored, and Tuukka Rask made 20 saves.

Christian Dvorak had an unassisted goal for Arizona, and Scott Wedgewood stopped 26 shots.

Backes, the former St. Louis captain who signed with Boston as an unrestricted free agent in July, was expected to miss up to eight weeks following his surgery to relieve inflammation caused by diverticulitis. He returned to the Bruins on Nov. 29 and got his 500th career point Monday with an assist during a loss at Nashville.

Backes, who has 225 career goals, said he was confident his first goal for the Bruins would come once he was healthy and his game started to return.

"I've always been one that trusted in the process -- trusted in playing hard, playing the right way and knowing that the results come from that," he said. "Over time, I know I'll get my looks, I'll get my opportunities. I've been there before and it'll go in eventually."

While there was no shortage of scoring for Boston, it was definitely Backes' night.

"He's a huge leader for our team," Marchand said. "There's a big void when he's not playing. We're very lucky to have the guy. He stepped up big tonight and really turned that game around for us."

Arizona coach Rick Tocchet said the Coyotes were able to shake off Marchand's early goal and played well up until midway through the second period.

"The 6-1 is not indicative of the game," Tocchet said. "They had one chance at the 10-minute mark and then we gave a couple plays away and it's 3-1 going into the third."

Backes deflected in Riley Nash's wrist shot from the blue line at to break a 1-all tie with 6:06 left in the second. He also stole the puck from Alex Goligoski inside the Arizona zone and beat Wedgewood with a wrist shot at 19:06.

Krecji's power-play goal in the opening minute of the third put Boston up 4-1 just 15 seconds after Luke Schenn was called for hooking. Heinen and Bjork scored 55 seconds apart late in the game, leading to a players-only meeting for the Coyotes.

"It was really about the last 10 minutes. We can't do that," Dvorak said. "We left Wedgie out to dry and that is unacceptable."

The Bruins struck first when Marchand scored on a one-timer off a crossing pass from David Pastrnak. But Dvorak tied it with a high backhand with 2:53 left in the first after stealing a clearing attempt by Brandon Carlo.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 27

3 1

Goals by Marchand, DeBrusk lead Bruins past Islanders 3-1

BOSTON -- Tuukka Rask has rediscovered his game and the Boston Bruins are starting to become the type of team they want to be in front of him -- one that's tough defensively.

Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk scored, Rask stopped 30 shots and the Bruins beat the New York Islanders 3-1 on Saturday night.

Danton Heinen added an empty-net goal, and Torey Krug and David Pastrnak each had two assists for the Bruins, who won for the eighth time in 10 games.

"Tuukka, you can usually tell how calm and composed he looks and it means we're generally calm and composed in front of him," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We're getting the result for him playing in front of him."

Anders Lee scored and Jaroslav Halak made 29 saves for New York, which has lost four of five.

Rask earned his fourth straight win after struggling to a 3-8-2 start this season, which prompted many Bruins fans to call for Cassidy to play backup Anton Khudobin as the No. 1 goalie. Khudobin opened the season 7-0-2.

"We're trying to build an identity that you have to battle hard and you have to skate hard," Rask said. "From that, you kind of build that identity and reputation to be a hard team to play against. That's something we want to accomplish and need to accomplish to make the playoffs and be an elite team in the league. I think we're heading in that direction."

The Bruins limited New York's chances most of the game.

"That's what they do," Islanders coach Doug Weight said. "They have big, long (defenseman), protect lanes and protect the net."

Marchand's goal made it 1-0 at 10:51 of the second period. With the Islanders short-handed because of a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty, Marchand took a pass from Krug, broke in down the left wing and snapped off a wrist shot that slipped between Halak's pads.

Early in the third, Marchand was given a five-minute major for interference when he came charging across the ice to hit John Tavares near the boards, but New York's Ryan Pulock took a cross-checking penalty when play stopped.

Boston's David Backes also got a major -- for head-butting -- and a game misconduct later in the third.

DeBrusk made it 2-0 when he collected a loose puck in the slot, spun and beat Halak with a wrister inside the right post 6:45 into the third.

Lee scored on a redirected shot from the top of the crease with 3:08 to play, just after Backes' penalty expired.

Heinen sealed it with 42 seconds left.

Rask was hardly tested through the first two periods, but made a solid glove stop on Mathew Barzal's shot from the left circle late in the second.

"We didn't enter the zone like we normally do tonight," Lee said. "We came in with no speed."

The best chances of a scoreless first came when Backes had a pair of bids from the edge of the crease seconds apart. Halak flashed his left pad to stop both.

Both teams seemed focused on limiting quality scoring chances from the start of the game -- and they did that, relying on tight checking and solid positioning to block shots and limit shooting angles in the first two periods.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 28

3 2 OT

Bruins tie it late, beat Red Wings 3-2 in OT behind Marchand

DETROIT -- In just over two minutes, Brad Marchand stole another victory for the Boston Bruins.

Marchand assisted on the tying goal late in regulation and scored the game-winner 35 seconds into overtime to give the Bruins a 3-2 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday night. Boston managed only two shots on goal in the first period but twice rallied from a one-goal deficit for its ninth win in 11 games.

"It's big," Marchand said. "Just shows the character that we have in the room and that we're really learning a lot."

Detroit has dropped 10 of 11, although the Red Wings have earned a point in five of those losses.

David Pastrnak tied it with 1:26 remaining in the third period, extending his point streak to nine games. The Bruins had pulled goalie Tuukka Rask with more than two minutes left, and Marchand's pinpoint pass from the right side made it through traffic to Pastrnak at the left of the net. His 15th goal of the season sent the game to overtime.

"A lot of times it's tough to get those through," Marchand said. "One out of 10 or one out of 20, whatever. But luckily that one made it through and we were able to capitalize."

In the extra period, Marchand skated in ahead of defenseman Mike Green and stickhandled to the right before backhanding the puck past goalie Jimmy Howard from a sharp angle.

"We've played way too many games this season where we played good and came up short," Detroit's Tomas Tatar said. "Maybe that's showing us something. We have to be better somewhere."

Noel Acciari scored the other goal for Boston. Dylan Larkin and Tatar scored for Detroit.

Tatar opened the scoring on a second-period power play, beating Rask only 13 seconds after Patrice Bergeron received a minor penalty for tripping. Tatar's wrist shot made it through with teammate Justin Abdelkader standing in front of the net as a screen.

Pastrnak, playing his 200th career game, nearly tied it moments later when he skated in behind the Detroit defense, but Howard stopped him.

"In the end, we got it going eventually. There's a lot of pride in that room. We knew we needed to be better," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "In fairness, Detroit hasn't won much lately, but their will to block shots and keep the puck out of their nets was tremendous. You've got to give them credit."

Acciari tied it early in the third after a scramble in front of the net, and Boston went on the power play when Green was whistled for holding. But Larkin scored short-handed on a breakaway to put Detroit up 2-1.

The Red Wings couldn't hold onto that lead either, giving up the tying goal after the Bruins were able to set up in the Detroit zone.

"I think we got a little bit tired, so we didn't have enough pressure below the tops of the circles. We don't want to be that passive," Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill said. "I thought we were in the right places, but we didn't make a play on the puck. Ultimately, the puck went through multiple guys. It's a good play by Marchand. But we certainly were in the right spots, we've just got to make a play on the puck."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 29

3 5

Capitals beat Bruins again, 5-3

BOSTON -- Alex Chiasson had already scored once when he blocked a shot on the penalty kill, gave the puck a little kick and went off toward center ice.

Crossing the red line with three Bruins in pursuit, the Capitals forward moved in on Anton Khudobin, went to his backhand and beat the Boston goalie on the stick side. His two third-period goals made it 4-1 and sent Washington on its way to a 5-3 victory on Thursday night.

"The short-handed goal was massive," Washington coach Barry Trotz said. "If they score one there, the last few minutes would have been hectic."

Patrice Bergeron scored his 265th career goal to move past Bobby Orr on the Bruins all-time list, and then added another in the final seconds. Bergeron is 11 goals behind Wayne Cashman for seventh in franchise history.

"I love my old Bruins -- Bobby Orr, the most," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "But good for Pat. The more he scores, the more it helps us win."

Braden Holtby stopped 33 shots for the Capitals, who have beaten Boston 11 straight times. Jakub Vrana and Nicklas Backstrom also scored for Washington, and Alex Ovechkin added an empty netter after Boston cut the deficit to two goals with 4 minutes left.

David Krejci also scored for Boston, and Khudobin made 16 saves.

Backstrom gave Washington the lead midway through the second, and Chiasson added to it with 12 minutes left in the game when he took two swipes at a puck in the crease to get it past Khudobin. But an interference penalty on Brooks Orpik gave the Bruins hope to again make it a one-goal game.

Instead, Chiasson extended the lead to 4-1.

"It's always a little special for me to come here," said Chiasson, who went to Boston University. "It was three of the best years of my life, so far."

Vrana cut through two Boston defenders to give the Capitals a 1-0 lead after one period. Bergeron tied it on a power play in the second, getting the shot off just as Chiasson was knocking his leg out from under him.

The Bruins had won three straight and nine of 11. Washington has won six of seven and nine of 11.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 30

2 3

Zuccarello scores PP goal in OT as Rangers beat Bruins 3-2

BOSTON -- Henrik Lundqvist has seen Mats Zuccarello's shot many times during practice so he knows how tough it is to stop.

Zuccarello scored a power-play goal 1:56 into overtime to lift the New York Rangers to a 3-2 victory over the Boston Bruins on Saturday.

Skating 4-on-3 in the OT after Boston was whistled for too many men on the ice, Zuccarello beat Rask with a rising shot from the right circle to lift the Rangers to their ninth win in 13 games overall (9-3-1) and their seventh straight against the Bruins.

"It's such a quick release," said Lundqvist, who made 33 saves playing on back-to-back days. "Every team has one or two players that can snap the puck like that. As a goalie, you just have to be on your toes at all times.

"It's hard. He fakes it. Looks you off and it comes at you real fast."

Michael Grabner and J.T. Miller also scored for New York, which recovered after giving up a 2-0 lead.

Rangers coach Alain Vigneault treated this one like an important game, going to Lundqvist again.

"Like I said before, it was a big game and Henrik had been playing real well," he said. "I just thought it was the right thing to do."

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy thought the penalty in OT was the correct call.

"It was all three of them. Sometimes you try to gain an advantage and get away with it." he said. "I can't complain about it. It's a lousy way to lose."

Brad Marchand and Danton Heinen scored for Boston, which lost its second straight after winning nine of 11. Tuukka Rask stopped 25 shots.

Trailing 2-1, the Bruins tied it on Marchand's power-play goal at 5:38 of the third period. Marchand one-timed a cross-ice pass from David Pastrnak from the right circle for his 13th. Boston got the power play after Marchand drew a holding penalty on David Desharnais.

"There was a period where we weren't at our best, but we battled back," Rask said.

Boston's David Krejci hit a post with seven minutes left in regulation.

The Rangers took a 1-0 lead when Grabner benefited from a fluky bounce with 5:18 left in the first. He fired a shot from the slot that sailed over the net, but the puck caromed off the glass and hit Rask's back before sliding into the net for Grabner's team-leading 16th goal.

New York made it 2-0 on Miller's power-play goal 2:41 into the second. With Krejci off for high-sticking, Miller collected Ryan McDonagh's pass near Boston's blue line at full speed, cut into the zone, shifted around defenseman Brandon Carlo and lifted a backhander behind Rask.

Rask kept it a two-goal game by making a nice right-pad stop on Rick Nash's clean breakaway while the Bruins were on a power play.

Heinen then sliced Boston's deficit in half by tipping Zdeno Chara's snap shot between Lundqvist's pads with 2:48 left in the second.

Boston had a goal taken off the board early in the opening period by a coach's challenge because the play ended up being offside. Ryan Spooner had redirected Torey Krug's pass into the net 4:39 into the game.

There was a large contingent of Rangers fans wearing blue jerseys sprinkled throughout the stands, especially in the lower seats. They broke into chants of `Let's Go Rangers!' a handful of times.

They broke into a loud roar on the game-winner. Some remained and were still cheering minutes after the building was nearly empty

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 31

7 2

DeBrusk has goal, 2 assists as Bruins beat Blue Jackets 7-2

BOSTON -- Led by their young players, the Boston Bruins put up their highest scoring game of the season.

Rookie Jake DeBrusk set up second-period power-play goals by David Backes and fellow rookie Charlie McAvoy and added a goal of his own, Tuukka Rask stopped 16 shots to keep up his hot stretch, and the Bruins beat the Columbus Blue Jackets 7-2 on Monday night.

Brad Marchand, Danton Heinen, Torey Krug and Patrice Bergeron also scored for the Bruins, who halted a two-game skid. Rask improved to 6-0-1 in his last seven starts. McAvoy also had an assist and his first career NHL fight.

"It was an opportunity for them to show their abilities and their talents," Backes said of the young players. "They didn't disappoint one bit."

Josh Anderson and Seth Jones scored, and Sergei Bobrovsky made 38 saves -- including a penalty shot by Tim Schaller -- for the Blue Jackets.

"We have to take it right on the chin like we did tonight and try to get better for the next game. That's all we can do," Columbus coach John Tortorella said. "Right through our lineup we weren't good. Obviously, this is the result."

Columbus lost for the third in four games and was dominated in the first two periods when they fell into a 3-0 hole.

Leading 1-0 in the second, DeBrusk made his two very nice cross-ice passes, helping the Bruins converted on consecutive power plays just over five minutes apart.

On the first, DeBrusk skated deep down the left wing and sent a pass across to Backes, who one-timed a shot into the net.

DeBrusk then set up McAvoy's goal with a pass across the slot from the bottom of the right circle. McAvoy one-timed it into the net before Bobrovsky could get to the other side of the crease.

"It's fun hockey. It's nice to see those guys finish," DeBrusk said. "It's nice to find those seems and nice that we converted as well. The more seems you find, the more chances you'll get."

The Bruins owned a 28-14 edge in shots on goal after two periods, dictating play for most of the game. Columbus had just one shot on goal by a forward in the opening period.

Anderson converted a feed from Alexander Wennberg 8:32 into the third, but Heinen scored to seal it. Boston then scored three more.

"In the third period we fell apart," Anderson said. "I don't know what happened."

Rask made a solid pad stop on Cam Atkinson's partial breakaway with the Bruins on a power play early in the second.

Marchand made it 1-0 when he one-timed a drop pass from Bergeron inside the right post for his 14th goal with 5:12 left in the first.

Earlier in the period, Schaller missed a wide-open net when he hit the left post on a rebound with Bobrovsky out of position.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 32

3 0

DeBrusk, Khudobin send Bruins to 3-0 win over Sabres

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- This time, the Boston Bruins had to win the hard way.

Jake DeBrusk scored for the second straight night, Anton Khudobin turned away 36 shots and Boston blanked the Buffalo Sabres 3-0 on Tuesday.

Tim Schaller and David Backes added empty-net goals in the closing minutes as the Bruins won for the seventh time in 10 games. After a 7-2 victory over Columbus on Monday, the Bruins held off the Sabres in a low-scoring affair that included defenseman Kevan Miller getting into a fight and two crucial blocked shots by Noel Acciari.

"In the third, on the road, in a back-to-back, usually a team's going to have a push and, I don't want to be disrespectful, I don't know if (the Sabres) had a true sustained push," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said.

The Bruins came out flat in the first period, getting outshot 17-10. But they got a needed emotional boost when Miller dropped the gloves with Sabres defenseman Zach Bogosian and won the fight easily.

"Whenever something like that happens it wakes the guys up, kind of gets them going," Miller said. "I don't think we were playing that bad at that point but I think it's something that kind of sparks guys sometimes."

Buffalo threatened to get on the board first in the second period, but Khudobin made a pad save on Evander Kane to keep the game scoreless. Then with 9:46 remaining in the period, DeBrusk carried the puck into the Sabres zone and fired a wrist shot over Robin Lehner's shoulder.

DeBrusk has goals in consecutive games and four points in his last two.

"There's ups and downs for everybody, but obviously the last two games, things have gone my way," DeBrusk said. "I'm just trying to keep building."

With less than two minutes to go in the second, the Sabres narrowly missed capitalizing on two scoring chances. First, Kyle Okposo was late passing to Benoit Pouliot on an odd-man rush. Moments later, Pouliot had his shot blocked by Acciari after Khudobin allowed a big rebound.

"You need to have those types of guys in the room," Cassidy said of Acciari's shot blocking. "They're just good soldiers. It's very much appreciated the hits he takes and the hits he gives and the shot blocks. All those little things that make a team of character."

Khudobin stopped all 10 shots by the Sabres in the third to earn his first shutout of the season. The Bruins are 8-2-2 when Khudobin starts, and they needed him to stop 17 first-period shots.

"We need moments like this," Khudobin said. "Back-to-back, maybe legs are heavy in the first period. That's why I got the work. Moved a little bit more than usual, maybe, but everything went well.

"I'm glad I didn't get scored on."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 33

2 1 SO

Birthday boy McAvoy sends Bruins past Jets in shootout

BOSTON -- Tuukka Rask's wire-to-wire dominance helped to ensure that Charlie McAvoy's 20th birthday had a happy ending.

Rask was nearly impenetrable for over 65 minutes before McAvoy scored the decisive goal in the shootout for Boston as the Bruins beat the Jets 2-1 on Thursday night.

"A cherry on top of a great effort by our team," McAvoy said after he improved to 2-for-2 lifetime in shootouts.

After Winnipeg's Nikolaj Ehlers' first attempt of the sudden-death portion of the shootout clanged off the post, McAvoy took the puck and meandered up the ice before tucking his shot past Connor Hellebuyck.

"I saw some room on the blocker side and I just wanted to shoot it there before he was able to recover," McAvoy said of his winning goal.

Rask made 37 saves and recorded a point for his eighth straight game (7-0-1) as the Bruins beat the Jets for the fourth straight meeting.

It was the first shootout victory for Rask in four tries since Nov. 3, 2016 against Tampa Bay.

"Whenever the (Winnipeg) breakouts happen, then the quality chances I guess happen too and become dangerous, so it happened a few times today, but we battled through and survived," Rask said.

Torey Krug scored his sixth goal of the season for Boston (18-10-5), which won its third straight game and sixth of its last eight.

Patrik Laine scored his team-leading 18th goal for the Jets. Hellebuyck had 32 saves.

"We had some good chances to score before my goal but (Hellebuyck) was good tonight and it was hard to get the puck past him," Laine said.

Winnipeg (20-10-6) had its two-game winning streak snapped. The Jets have only won once in Boston since the franchise relocated to Winnipeg in 2011.

Two goals less than a minute apart midway in the third period accounted for the only action through 65 minutes.

Rask and Hellebuyck matched each other before Krug's wrister from the point beat Hellebuyck glove-side with 11:44 remaining.

Laine answered just 57 seconds later, rifling a wrist shot past an out-of-position Rask off a feed from Ehlers.

"It's a grinder and no fun to play (in) and we did a good job of staying in that (game)," Jets coach Paul Maurice said.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 34

3 1

Bergeron scores 2 for Bruins in 3-1 win over Red Wings

BOSTON -- David Backes and the Boston Bruins are having one nice holiday season.

Backes picked up two assists after he was away from the team to be with his wife for the birth of their son, and the Bruins beat the Detroit Red Wings 3-1 on Saturday for their fourth straight victory.

"After what I saw my wife go through birthing that baby, I figured I could come on a few hours sleep and play a hockey game," said Backes, who missed practice on Friday.

Patrice Bergeron scored twice in the third period and Brad Marchand had a goal and two assists for the Bruins, who have won 13 of 17 since they had a four-game losing streak last month. Tuukka Rask made 30 saves.

"It's always good to go into a break feeling good and on a little streak," Marchand said. "But we can't get too ahead of ourselves. We have to make sure when we come back we're playing the same way."

Frans Nielsen scored Detroit's only goal and Jimmy Howard stopped 23 shots for the Red Wings, who lost despite outshooting Boston 31-25.

Coach Jeff Blashill said the Red Wings played a lot like they did during a 4-3 loss at Philadelphia on Wednesday.

"On Wednesday, it's a tie game in the third and they make a play on a rush. Same thing tonight. They make a play on a rush," he said. "We've got to find a way to make a play to make the difference in a game. When you end games like this you're frustrated 100 percent."

The game was tied at 1 when Bergeron scored his ninth of the season at 6:11 on a one-timer Howard never saw. Marchand set up Bergeron's shot from the left circle with a pass across the slot for his 198th career assist.

"It was more of a better shot than a pass," Marchand said. "He one-timed it in stride and really didn't give the goalie a chance to get over there. It was a great shot by Bergie."

Down 2-1 in the final minutes, Detroit missed an opportunity to get Howard off the ice for an extra skater by icing the puck with 1:25 remaining. Howard made it to the bench with about 1:10 left and the Bruins needed a big save by Rask on a tip in front with 28 seconds remaining.

After a timeout, Marchand and Backes got the puck to Bergeron from just across center ice for the empty netter.

"As a team as of late, we're just not getting the results every single night that we want," Howard said. "For us right now they're must wins. We've got find ways to get the points and that's all it boils down to."

Boston jumped in front on Marchand's 15th goal on a one-timer 13:37 into the first off a crossing pass from Backes from the left side of the net. Boston was just 18 seconds into a 5-on-3 advantage with David Booth sitting out for a slashing minor and a call for too many men on the ice.

Marchand retrieved the puck from the back of the net and gave it to Backes.

"It just shows the character of him and what he's willing to battle through," Marchand said. "The fact that he came out and had such a big game is awesome."

The Red Wings quickly responded with a short-handed goal by Nielsen, who took the puck in alone after a turnover right outside the Boston zone and beat Rask between his pads at 14:38.

It was just the third shot of the game for Detroit, which was outshot 11-6 in the first period.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 35

5 1

Nash scores 2 goals as surging Bruins beat Senators 5-1

BOSTON -- Bruins captain Zdeno Chara didn't hesitate when he was asked if Boston is beginning to believe it's a top team.

"We know we have a good hockey team with good players. If we play to our way with our strength, we are effective," Chara said after the surging Bruins beat the Ottawa Senators 5-1 on Wednesday night for their fifth straight victory.

"It's easy to get comfortable and complacent. It's hard to play with that confidence every game," he added. "It's easy to lose it. We want to stay on top of that."

Riley Nash scored two goals, Kevan Miller got his first of the season and the Bruins won for the 14th time in 18 games. Tuukka Rask stopped 25 shots, improving to 9-0-1 in his past 10 games. Rask was selected the NHL's first star for last week.

"I think the last month or so everybody's been contributing," Rask said. "That's what we talk about needing to have happen."

Danton Heinen and David Backes also scored for Boston in the first meeting between the teams since Ottawa beat the Bruins in the opening round of the playoffs last spring. Nash also had an assist on Miller's goal.

Thomas Chabot scored and Craig Anderson made 18 saves for struggling Ottawa, which lost for the ninth time in 11 games (2-7-2).

"We can't find ways to push back -- and today was another one of those," Senators captain Erik Karlsson said. "I think as of right now we're not playing up to the standard that we expect of ourselves and I think everybody knows it."

The Bruins scored twice in the opening 8 1/2 minutes and eventually built a 3-0 lead.

Miller skated quickly to a rebound in the right circle and unloaded a rising shot that sailed over Anderson's shoulder 5:22 into the game. Heinen redirected a perfect pass from Ryan Spooner at the edge of the crease to make it 2-0. Spooner skated down the right wing and sent a backhand pass to the net.

Nash then blocked Karlsson's shot at the point and broke in on a partial breakaway before beating Anderson with a wrister to his glove side, making it 3-0 just 1:25 into the second.

"We're not proud how we played," Chabot said

Chabot sliced it to 3-1 on a slap shot from the right point, but Nash answered for Boston with his second goal.

He broke in down the left wing, shifted the puck from his forehand to backhand and faked out Anderson before tucking the puck in just between the netminder's right skate and the left post.

Senators defenseman Fredrik Claesson was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for a check to the head of forward Noel Acciari in the opening period.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 36

3 4 SO

Ovechkin powers Capitals to 4-3 shootout win over Bruins

WASHINGTON -- Alex Ovechkin made the most of a quick opportunity to make up for a shootout miss.

Ovechkin scored in regulation and the tiebreaker, lifting the Washington Capitals to a 4-3 victory over the Boston Bruins on Thursday night.

The 32-year-old Ovechkin missed his shootout try during Wednesday night's 1-0 loss to the New York Rangers.

"That's one thing that Ovie does, is that (if) he had a failure, he sort of says `I'm going to make up for it'," Washington coach Barry Trotz said. "There was no doubt that thing was in."

Lars Eller and Brett Connolly also scored for the Capitals, who snapped a three-game losing streak and won their 12th consecutive game over the Bruins.

Washington also ended a scoring drought that lasted almost nine full periods and overcame deficits of 2-0 in the first period and 3-2 in the third.

"It was not really one of our best games," Eller said. "But we battled back."

David Backes scored twice for the second time this season, but Boston lost for the third time in its last 12 games. Noel Acciari also scored for the Bruins.

Washington's Braden Holtby and Boston's Anton Khudobin each made 31 saves.

Connolly tied it at 3 with 8:38 left in the third when he attempted a centering feed toward Tom Wilson at the crease. Instead, the puck caromed off a Boston player and over the line before Khudobin could stop it.

Ovechkin had the only successful shootout attempt, finishing into the top right corner.

Washington gave up two goals during a 49-second stretch early in the first period, and then pulled even with two goals 96 seconds apart in the second.

First, Eller reached a loose puck between the circles and rifled a shot past Khudobin, ending a team drought of more than 178 minutes. Then, after Boston's Torey Krug picked up a slashing penalty, Ovechkin took John Carlson's feed at the left face-off circle and smashed it into the top right corner for his 24th goal.

"When you're able to get a 2-0 lead, you hope that you can step on the throat and finish them off at some point," Backes said. "The second period, a couple plays that they find pucks and they're able to score one. And then they get a power play shortly thereafter."

Ovechkin's goal was Washington's first on the power play in six games.

"It was very important for us on the power play to kind of bounce back," Ovechkin said. "It doesn't matter if I score or somebody else scores. Just to take the pressure off our shoulders."

Backes' second goal put Boston ahead 3-2 and came just moments after Washington killed off its fifth penalty of the game. T.J. Oshie gave the puck away in his own end, and Danton Heinen found Backes open for a shot that struck Holtby's glove on its way in.

Even then, Washington found a way to extend its Boston winning streak.

"We turned the puck over and just killed the momentum, and mentally that's really tough for a group that's been battling all night to get back," Trotz said. "And I just like our response. We just kept staying with the program."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 37

5 0

Ryan Spooner, Tuukka Rask help Bruins beat Senators 5-0

OTTAWA, Ontario -- The Boston Bruins pushed aside the reeling Ottawa Senators -- again.

Ryan Spooner scored twice and Tuukka Rask made 25 saves in the Bruins' 5-0 victory over the Senators on Saturday night.

Noel Acciari, David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron also scored for the Bruins, 5-1 winners over the Senators on Wednesday night in Boston. Rask had his second shutout of the season and 40th overall.

"We took over the game," Rask said. "Their chances came early and that's it. We scored more and we always played the same way and that's great to see. Going ahead that has to continue because that's going to reward us in the future."

Mike Condon stopped 29 shots for the Senators. Ottawa was shut out five times in December, going 4-8-2 in the month. The Senators have been outscored 14-6 in their past three games.

"It's stupidity and frustration," Senators forward Mark Stone said. "We put ourselves in terrible spots when you look at the goals that they're scoring. We're putting ourselves in terrible situations."

Boston took a 4-0 lead in the second, scoring three goals on 13 shots.

Sean Kuraly provided a screen for Acciari, who beat Condon off his backhand for a 2-0 advantage. Just over two minutes later, Ben Harpur, looking to shoot the puck in at the blue line, had his shot picked off by Spooner, who broke in alone and beat Condon through the legs.

Krejci, returning to the lineup after missing six games with an upper-body injury, then picked up Charlie McAvoy's rebound and tucked it in at the side of the net on the power play. The Bruins took a 5-0 lead in the opening minutes of the third when Bergeron tipped Torey Krug' shot for their third power-play goal of the game.

The Bruins opened the scoring at 8:13 of the first on the man advantage. After a couple of solid saves by Condon, a rebound popped right out to Spooner.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 38

5 1

Bruins score 3 in third, pull away to beat Islanders 5-1

NEW YORK -- Patrice Bergeron and Tuukka Rask helped the Boston Bruins keep up their winning ways to start the new year.

Bergeron had the go-ahead goal in the second period and the surging Bruins scored three times in the third to pull away for a 5-1 victory over the New York Islanders on Tuesday night. Tuukka Rask stopped 25 shots as Boston improved to 7-0-2 in their last nine, the longest streak of games with at least a point this season.

Danton Heinen, Brad Marchand, Tim Schaller and Noel Acciari also scored for the Bruins,

"We knew it was coming this year," Marchand said. "We had a lot of injuries and we knew we just needed some time to come together a bit, but you see the way some young guys are stepping up. It just seems like everyone is connecting. Every line has that chemistry."

Jordan Eberle had New York's goal and Jaroslav Halak finished with 33 saves as the Islanders lost their third straight. Josh Bailey was held without a point, ending his career-high streak at 11 games.

New York was 5-8-2 in December and the latest loss pushed the Islanders out of a playoff position with Carolina picking up a point in a shootout loss to Washington and having a game in hand.

"Adversity is hitting us between the eyes right now as a group, as a staff, as players," Islanders coach Doug Weight said. "We've got to find a way. If you're going to use words like flat or a little sluggish at times in the second or third it's concerning, but it's not going away.

"We have three really big games and we have to figure it out."

After being outshot 12-9 in the first period, the Bruins held the Islanders to just 14 shots through the final 40 minutes and beat them for the second time in two meetings this season.

"We just tried to stick to our game plan and our systems," Boston's Sean Kuraly said. "Be quick through the neutral zone and hold onto pucks down low, and be a good puck possession team. I think for most of the game we did that."

It was a fluky goal from Bergeron that put the Bruins ahead 2-1 in the second. A centering pass to Marchand took a funny deflection right to Bergeron on the side of the net and the Bruins' forward banked it in off Halak at 8:28. Marchand got his 200th career assist on the play.

Marchand then got his 16th goal at 9:04 of the third after the Islanders turned over the puck and David Pastrnak led an odd-man rush to make it 3-1.

Schaller deflected the puck out of the air to give the Bruins a three-goal lead with just under five minutes left in the game, and Accaiari added an empty-netter with 2:13 remaining.

"We know they're down a few guys, so you have to force those young kids to make plays," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "I don't think we turned it over much. If we did we reloaded pretty well. That was a bit of the game plan, force them to break out and go 200 feet.

"When we get buzzing we're a decent forechecking team. We have some heavy lines and even our skilled lines are good at handling the puck."

The Bruins extended their record to 12-1-2 in their last 15 contests against Eastern Conference opponents.

Boston opened the scoring with a goal off a draw in the middle of the first period. Riley Nash won the faceoff and the puck went right to Heninen, who fired the puck past Halak at 8:17.

Eberle evened the score just over a minute later after he forced a turnover in front of the net and slid the puck past the extended leg of Rask for his 14th.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 39

7 1

Bergeron scores 4 goals for Bruins in 7-1 win over Carolina

BOSTON -- Patrice Bergeron surpassed one milestone shortly before reaching another.

Bergeron had four goals and an assist while leading the Boston Bruins to 7-1 rout of the Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday night, topping the 700-point mark for his career and tying a club record for goals in a game.

"It was one of those nights where the puck was going in," said Bergeron, the 16th player in Bruins history with a four-goal game.

"Last time I did that I was 16 years old. I don't know what to think of it, to be honest."

Bergeron, Boston's second pick in the 2003 draft, needed three points for 700 in his career and reached the mark with two goals and an assist in the first period. He added two more in the first 10:45 of the second, making him the first Bruin with four goals since Dave Andreychuk on Oct. 28, 1999 against Tampa Bay.

"It's not just a night like tonight. It's every night. He does so much for this hockey club," Bruins captain Zdeno Chara said.

Bergeron's linemates also had a big night. Brad Marchand assisted on all of Bergeron's goals and David Pastrnak had a goal and two assists for the Bruins, who scored on their first two shots and led 5-1 after the first period.

Anton Khudobin had 27 saves as Boston improved to 8-0-2 in its last 10 games.

Jordan Staal scored a power-play goal for Carolina in the first period and Scott Darling stopped 23 of 28 shots in relief of Cam Ward, who was pulled after allowing two goals on two shots.

"I didn't think we had too many sustained shifts where we had pressure and we actually won shifts and built a game," Carolina coach Bill Peters said. "We didn't have a lot of pushback or a lot of mental toughness there."

Bergeron shined despite fighting a cold. He said he got some extra rest when Boston's game Thursday night against the Florida Panthers was postponed because of the fierce winter storm that swept up the East Coast. He put Boston up 1-0 with a short-handed goal 3:14 into the game, then set up Pastrnak for a power-play goal that put Boston up 3-1 at 9:04.

After Jake DeBrusk gave the Bruins a 4-1 lead on a tip-in 10:22 into the game, Marchand set up Bergeron for a one-timer from the right circle for point No. 700.

Bergeron scored again 5:36 into the second off a pass from Marchand, and Bruins fans celebrated with a wave of hats onto the ice. It was just the second career hat trick for Bergeron, whose only other three-goal game was during a 6-0 win over Ottawa on Jan. 11, 2011.

"We were hoping to get him to six, but it didn't work out," Marchand said.

Marchand and Pastrnak set up Bergeron again at 10:45 of the second for another one-timer from the left post for a 7-1 Boston lead.

Ward stopped 21 shots in a 4-0 win over Pittsburgh on Thursday for his first shutout of the season but lasted just 5:43 on Saturday. Bergeron beat him with a wrist shot to the glove side with Carolina on a power play early in the first, then Riley Nash scored again for Boston on another wrist shot past Ward's glove.

It was the 41st game of the season for the Hurricanes, who were 5-1-1 in their previous seven.

"Not the way we want to come into the midpoint of the season, but the reality is we didn't play very well," Peters said.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 40

5 6 OT

Malkin's overtime goal rallies Penguins to win over Bruins

PITTSBURGH -- Penguins coach Mike Sullivan believes the bye week has arrived at a perfect time for his up-and-down team.

Pittsburgh took an early two-goal lead before the two-time defending Stanley Cup champions were forced to rally from a two-goal hole with the final three goals of the game against Boston. Evgeni Malkin's second goal of the game at 2:51 of overtime capped the rally, as the Penguins beat the Bruins 6-5 Sunday night.

"It will be both a mental and physical break for everybody and it should serve us well," Sullivan said of the team's mandatory five-day break. "I don't think it's a bad thing for us to get away from the game a little bit and recharge the batteries, so when we all come back we should be excited to play."

The Penguins, coming off a 4-0 win at the New York Islanders on Friday, got consecutive victories for the first time since Dec. 1-2 when they defeated Buffalo twice by a combined score of 9-1. The Penguins, who have just six wins in their last 11 games, moved into the second wild card spot in the Eastern Conference, but are one point ahead of three teams tied for last place in the Metropolitan Division.

"To get results at this time of year is critically important because you can see how tight the league and our division is," Sullivan said. "There was a lot of adversity tonight, but I thought our guys stayed with it."

Phil Kessel set up Malkin, who one-timed a shot over Tuukka Rask's pad during a 2-on-1 for the game-winner. Malkin and Kessel scored power-play goals in regulation, while Kris Letang, Jamie Oleksiak and Riley Sheahan also scored for Pittsburgh.

Matt Murray stopped all six shots he faced in relief of Tristan Jarry, who made 14 saves on 19 shots before he was pulled after the Bruins' fifth goal.

Sidney Crosby had three assists after getting a season-high four points against the Islanders. Crosby, with points in five straight against Boston, had four points in 11 games before the last two.

"We were down, but we felt like we did some good things," Crosby said. "I think we've been resilient. They capitalized on some mistakes, but we stuck with it. We're starting to play with some speed and purpose out there."

Brad Marchand, David Pastrnak, David Backes, Noel Acciari and Ryan Spooner all scored in regulation for Boston. The Bruins lost, but earned a point for the 11th straight game (8-0-3). Boston has now totaled 22 goals in its last four games.

Rask, who hasn't lost in regulation since Nov. 26, stopped 29 shots for Boston.

Patrice Bergeron, who scored four goals one night earlier during a win against Carolina, briefly left in the first period after blocking a shot, but he returned. Bergeron, who played 18:12, said X-rays on his right foot were negative, but he needed stitches.

That didn't take away the sting of the loss.

"We got the start we wanted, but then we got away from our game and they took it to us," Bergeron said. "There are some breakdowns that are uncharacteristic of us, but we stuck with it and we got a point out of it. Obviously, we know that we can be a lot better."

Both teams let two-goal leads slip away.

Pittsburgh held a 3-1 advantage in the first period on goals by Oleksiak, Kessel and Letang. But Boston rallied with the next four goals from Marchand, Acciari, Pastrnak and Backes to open a 5-3 lead.

Malkin's power-play tally with 3.6 seconds to play in the second period pulled Pittsburgh within one and Sheahan's short-side goal off the rush 2:54 into the third period tied the score.

Murray stopped Marchand's penalty shot with 1:01 to play in regulation to force overtime, setting the stage for Malkin to end it.

"It's hard when you're up by two goals and then you end up being down the way we were," Sullivan said. "Just our ability to stay in it and respond is a great indicator of our team leadership."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 41

4 3 OT

Bruins beat Canadiens 4-3 after Danault hit by Chara shot

MONTREAL -- Canadiens center Phillip Danault was awake and moving after taking Zdeno Chara's slap shot to the head. Considering how hard Chara can shoot, many at the silent Bell Centre feared it might have been much worse.

Danault was hospitalized after a frightening play in Montreal's 4-3 loss to the Boston Bruins on Saturday night, a game that ended with Brad Marchand's goal in the fourth round of a shootout.

Danault was taken off the ice on a stretcher after he was hit in the head by Chara's shot -- the 6-foot-9 defenseman didn't wind up fully for the one-timer. The 24-year-old Danault was moving and speaking to medical staff before he departed to an ovation from the Bell Centre crowd.

Canadiens coach Claude Julien said after the game that Danault would remain in a hospital overnight and would be re-evaluated Sunday.

"You never want to see that," Julien said. "Regardless if it's your own team or the other team, no one wants to see injuries like that.

"They always make you worry. The players are still worried about him, but the reports are good so far."

Chara and other players from both teams gathered around Danault while he was down. As Danault was leaving the ice, Chara went over and said something to him.

"I wanted to make sure he was OK," Chara said. "He was talking to me and responding so that made me feel better that he's OK and he's not in a condition where he's not responding. So I was glad that he was doing OK."

Officials opted to play the final 1:37 of the second after intermission.

Marchand also scored in regulation, helping the Bruins improve to 9-0-3 in their last 12 games. Jake DeBrusk and David Krejci had the other goals for Boston, and Tuukka Rask made 27 saves.

"It's different, but this was just another game," said Marchand, who also scored in regulation. "We did a good job and look forward to the next one."

Alex Galchenyuk, Max Pacioretty and Nicolas Deslauriers scored for Montreal, and Carey Price had 29 stops. It was Galchenyuk's 100th career goal.

Claude Julien coached against Boston for the first time since he was fired by the Bruins last February and hired by the Canadiens a week later.

Montreal jumped in front 3:22 into the first when Pacioretty scored for the third straight game. Victor Mete, playing his first game back after helping Canada win world junior championship gold, picked up an assist when the rebound of his point shot was tucked inside the post by the captain of the Canadiens.

Marchand responded with a power-play goal at 17:11. He was left alone in front to take a feed from Patrice Bergeron and score his 18th of the season.

DeBrusk was sent in alone by Charlie McAvoy to beat Price with a high shot 2:55 into the second. Deslauriers picked up a loose puck at the Boston blue line and beat Rask with a low shot from the slot at 5:45.

Galchenyuk put the Canadiens in front again with a power-play wrist shot under the crossbar at 8:51. It was his 11th goal of the season.

But the Bruins tied it again with 2:18 left in the second. Jakub Jerabek swiped at and missed a bouncing puck and Krejci pounced on it and beat Price from close range.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 42

2 3 OT

Seguin scores in OT to lead Stars to 3-2 win over Bruins

BOSTON -- Former Boston first-round draft pick Tyler Seguin scored on a delayed penalty in overtime to lead the Dallas Stars to a 3-2 victory over the Bruins on Monday.

Boston rallied from a 2-0 deficit to send the game into overtime and earn a point for the 13th consecutive game. But with about three minutes left in the 3-on-3 overtime, the referee signaled for a penalty.

The Stars pulled goalie Kari Lehtonen for an extra skater and spent the next minute holding the puck, knowing they could maintain a 4-on-3 advantage the rest of the way. With 2:01 left, Seguin skated across the middle and beat Anton Khudobin with the game-winner.

Stephen Johns and Alexander Radulov also scored for Dallas, and Lehtonen stopped 30 shots.

Zdeno Chara and Ryan Spooner scored for Boston. Khudobin made 28 saves.

The Stars took the lead about four minutes into the second period when Johns scored from the left circle to finish off a four-man rush. They made it 2-0 when Jamie Benn won a faceoff and put a shot off Khudobin's left pad. It bounced right to Radulov in the slot, who flipped it over to his backhand and put it in the net.

But Chara's slapshot made it 2-1 with under 3 1/2 minutes left in the second. And Spooner tied it midway through the third when his slapshot got through Lehtonen and trickled toward the net; Boston's Charlie McAvoy and Dallas' Esa Lindell fought to get to the rolling puck, but it crossed the line before McAvoy's stick gave it some help.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 43

4 1

Bruins beat Canadiens 4-1 in coach Julien's return to Boston

BOSTON -- The Bruins showed former coach Claude Julien what a changed style looks like in Boston.

David Pastrnak and Ryan Spooner each scored an early goal, Tuukka Rask stopped 21 shots and the Bruins beat Montreal 4-1 Wednesday night in Canadiens coach Julien's return to Boston for the first time since he was fired nearly a year ago.

Dismissed last Feb. 7 in his 10th season, Julien -- who led the Bruins to the 2011 Stanley Cup championship -- was replaced by assistant and current Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy, who opted for more up-tempo, charge-into-the-zone play from his defensemen as opposed to Julien's mostly defensive-minded style.

"We're trying to play with pace and have guys that can play that way," said Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid, who was back after missing 36 games with a broken leg. "It's an advantage that way. I think everyone tries to play at their strength. We've been a little bit more up-tempo."

The surging Bruins have earned at least a point in 14 straight games (10-0-4), their longest stretch since going 15-0-1 in March 2014.

Julien was bothered by the play of his team, which had played well lately, going 2-0-2 after a five-game losing streak.

"We laid an egg -- not good enough," he said. "Obviously, it's a disappointing loss, especially with the situation we're in."

Brad Marchand added a power-play goal in the third period, David Krejci had an empty-netter and Patrice Bergeron had two assists for Boston, which posted its second win over the Canadiens in five days. The teams meet again in Montreal on Saturday night.

"We're trying to do that against everybody, to be honest," Cassidy of his team's style.

Jakub Jerabek scored his first NHL goal for Montreal, and Carey Price made 28 saves.

Montreal had grabbed a 1-0 lead in the game's opening minute, but failed to maintain momentum.

"We made some mistakes in the D-zone and stopped playing," Jerabek said.

Rask extended his career-best point streak to 15 games (13-0-2), including a 4-3 shootout win at Montreal last Saturday.

Trailing 1-0, Boston tied it 6:50 into the first when Pastrnak took a pass from Bergeron at the bottom of the left circle and slipped a wrister behind Price.

The Bruins took the lead early in the second when Spooner's backhander from just outside the crease caromed into the net off the right skate of Montreal forward Jonathan Drouin.

Montreal had a two-man power-play advantage for 69 seconds midway into the second -- immediately after Rask made a pad stop on Drouin's clean break in -- but Boston limited the Canadiens' shots to mostly lower-percentage chances from the outside.

Marchand's team-leading 19th goal came 3:40 into the period.

Jerabek's shot from the left point found its way through a group of players in front and slipped into the net 31 seconds into the game.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 44

5 2

Bergeron scores 3 as Bruins beat Islanders 5-2

NEW YORK -- A day after going without a shot on goal, Patrice Bergeron regained his scoring touch for the rolling Boston Bruins.

Bergeron scored three goals Thursday night for his second hat trick in less than two weeks, leading Boston to a 5-2 victory over the New York Islanders that gave the Bruins at least a point for the 15th consecutive game.

Brad Marchand had a goal and two assists as Boston improved to 11-0-4 since its last regulation loss Dec. 14 against Washington -- its best stretch since going 15-0-1 from March 2-30, 2014.

Bergeron had at least three goals in a game for the third time in his career and just 12 days after a four-goal performance at home against Carolina. He hadn't scored since that five-point night, but had four assists in four games, including two in a win at home against Montreal on Wednesday night.

"Last game was one of those nights where I was trying to find my wingers," the 32-year-old center said. "Tonight I was getting the looks again and I was trying to take them."

With 19 goals in 39 games this season, Bergeron is on pace to eclipse his career high of 32 set two season ago.

"I feel like I'm shooting just as much, maybe I get some better looks and Brad is finding me a little bit more in the slot," Bergeron said. "Puck goes in sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, and right now it is so I'm going to try to keep shooting and keep trying to find the back of the net."

Ryan Spooner had a goal and an assist, and Anton Khudobin stopped 22 shots as the Bruins improved to 20-3-4 since Nov. 15 and pulled within five points of first-place Tampa Bay in the Atlantic Division.

Jordan Eberle and John Tavares scored for New York, which has dropped seven of 10 -- with each of the losses coming in regulation. Jaroslav Halak made 29 saves.

Bergeron completed the hat trick when he took a pass from Marchand, spun and fired from the left circle at 3:45 of the third period.

"When he's playing the way he is right now, it's fun to watch," Marchand said. "It's fun to be on the ice with him."

Tavares' 25th pulled the Islanders within two with about 5 1/2 minutes remaining. Marchand capped the scoring with his 20th, an empty-netter with just over a minute to go.

Boston took control with two goals in the second period and sealed it with two more in the third.

Spooner put Boston ahead 2-1 near the midpoint of the second. Off a faceoff in the Islanders' zone to Halak's left, Spooner backhanded the puck past the goalie for his seventh at 9:47.

Just 15 seconds after New York's Anders Lee was sent off for tripping, Bergeron got the puck on the right side after Torey Krug's shot went off Islanders defenseman Adam Pelech's leg and beat Halak with 6:11 left in the middle period. Krug got his 200th career point on the play.

"They got a break on the second goal," New York coach Doug Weight said. "The (power-play goal) slapped us in the face and we got away from our game. We got frustrated in the third (period)."

Eberle gave the Islanders a 1-0 lead 7:35 into the game when he beat Khudobin for his 15th. Mathew Barzal got his 32nd assist and 48th point on the play -- both tops among all NHL rookies.

The Bruins tied it with 6:19 left in the first when Bergeron fired it past Halak from the inside edge of the right circle.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 45

4 1

Pastrnak has 2 goals, Bruins top Habs for 3rd time in 8 days

MONTREAL -- Canadiens coach Claude Julien's first few run-ins with his old team haven't gone well.

David Pastrnak scored twice and set up another goal to help the Boston Bruins beat Montreal 4-1 on Saturday night, their third win in eight days against their former coach.

These were the first three meetings between the Canadiens and Bruins since Boston fired Julien last February. Montreal scooped up the former boss of their longtime rival, but it didn't give him enough in his first showdowns against former players. Boston won last Saturday in a shootout in Montreal, then beat the Canadiens 4-1 at home Wednesday.

It was a combination Julien first put together seven years ago -- Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand, along with more recent linemate Pastrnak -- that did most of the damage.

"If I'd known I'd have to face them like I do now I would have kept them separated all those years," Julien joked.

Torey Krug had a goal and two assists and Riley Nash added an empty-netter for Boston, which is 12-0-4 in its past 16 games.

"Because of the rivalry and it's Montreal, it always means a little more over the years for fans in the New England area, but for us, we talked about trying to catch the teams in front of us and then eliminating opportunities for teams that are chasing you," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We did some of that this week with Montreal, being a division rival, so that part of it is good."

Max Pacioretty scored for Montreal, which ended a stretch of five games in eight days since their midseason break at 1-2-2. The Canadiens were coming off a 3-1 win Friday night in Washington.

"We didn't play a bad game but they were better than us," he said. "Our faceoffs and our puck battles. We need to be more determined."

Pacioretty got his seventh goal in seven games 11:29 into the second period. Paul Byron lost the puck, stripped it back from Charlie McAvoy from behind and then slipped a backhand pass to Pacioretty on a 2-on-1.

Pastrnak beat goalie Carey Price with a quick shot along the ice that caught the goaltender's left skate and went in at 14:09.

Krug was allowed to walk in from the blue line, take a feed from Pastrnak and beat Price over the right shoulder at 15:56.

The Bruins looked to have another goal on a power play at 11:00 of the third period, but a video review showed the play was offside.

Pastrnak got one that counted, his 20th of the season, at 17:03 when Jordie Benn couldn't handle a puck in front of Price and the Czech forward swept in to put it in the net.

"David's a dynamic player," said Cassidy. "I like that he went to the net more tonight and shot.

"When his goal-scoring goes away for a while I think he gets too cute at times or a little bit one on one moves. We've addressed it. He's trying to mature as a player as well. But tonight he threw pucks at the net and got to the net. That was a huge goal, the insurance goal late. That's a backbreaker. But that's a very, very good line. We get to see it every night and boy they came through for us."

Game notes

A moment of silence was held before the game for sports writer Red Fisher, who covered the Canadiens from 1955 to 2012. Fisher died Friday at 91.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 46

3 2

Marchand has goal, assist for Bruins in 3-2 win over Devils

BOSTON -- Tuukka Rask kept the Boston Bruins surging toward the All-Star break.

Rask stopped 37 shots and didn't allow a goal over the final 30 minutes as the Bruins rallied to a 3-2 win over the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday night.

Rask faced 20 shots in the first period and stopped them all, allowing the Bruins to recover from a sluggish start and win their fourth straight.

"It's just one of those games you've got to battle a little bit more," Rask said.

Brad Marchand scored his team-high 21st goal and added an assist for the Bruins, who improved to 13-0-4 in their last 17 and have not lost in regulation in more than a month. Patrice Bergeron and Riley Nash also scored for Boston.

Miles Wood and Damon Severson scored in the second period for New Jersey, which has lost three straight in regulation for the first time this season. Corey Schneider made 17 saves in the first two periods and Ken Appleby stopped the only four shots he faced in the third for the slumping Devils, who are 2-6-3 in their last 11.

New Jersey outshot Boston 20-9 in the first period, but couldn't get anything past Rask.

"He was awesome," said David Pastrnak, who assisted on Marchand's goal with 33 seconds left in the second. "We didn't have a good start and Tuukka was unbelievable in the first."

Marchand took a pass from Pastrnak for a breakaway and beat Cory Schneider on a backhand, breaking a 2-all tie and giving the Bruins their first lead.

"We didn't have a great game. We know that we need to be better. If we play like that a lot of nights it's not going to work out for us," Marchand said. "Tuuks did a great job and the D did a great job in the third. We came up big when it mattered and that's what you need."

Marchand also assisted on Bergeron's power-play goal with 7:07 to go in the second that tied it 2-all. It was the 20th goal of the season for Bergeron, who joined linemates Marchand and David Pastrnak to reach 20 goals.

Bergeron's tying goal came with New Jersey down two men because of penalties. Wood had only served 33 seconds of a double-minor for interference and cross-checking when Marcus Johansson was called for tripping at 12:03.

There was a 13-minute delay after the goal as the officials sorted out confusion about time remaining on the penalties, which continued to irk the Devils after the game.

"They were trying to figure out the clock and the times and what was accruate and what was not accurate," New Jersey coach John Hynes said. "Later, the refs talked to Miles and myself and just said they made a mistake."

Nash scored Boston's first goal 7:03 into the second, tying it after Wood broke the scoreless tie with a goal at 2:05. Severson regained the led for New Jersey two minutes later.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 47

3 2

Bruins keep rolling, beat Senators for fifth straight win

OTTAWA, Ontario -- Jake DeBrusk wasn't even trying to score and ended up with the winner.

DeBrusk beat Mike Condon with 8:41 left to lift the Boston Bruins over the Ottawa Senators 3-2 on Thursday night for their fifth straight win.

"I was aiming for a rebound and got some puck luck there," said DeBrusk, who scored his 11th of the season. "I think (Condon would) like to have that one back."

Danton Heinen and Tim Schaller also scored to help the Bruins get a point in their 18th straight game (14-0-4), their second longest point streak ever. Tuukka Rask stopped 21 shots.

Thomas Chabot and Ryan Dzingel scored for Ottawa, but the Senators are mired in a five-game skid.

Condon had 41 saves. The backup can't seem to catch a break this season, allowing a bad goal in nearly every home game he's played. The Senators (15-23-9) are on a five-game losing streak.

"You let in a bad goal when you're playing bad, you're still going to think it's a bad goal, so if you're playing well and you let in a bad goal, it doesn't really matter," Condon said. "A bad goal is a bad goal. They don't feel very good. I don't know what else to say about that."

Condon was the only reason the Senators were even in it as the Bruins outshot the Ottawa 20-7 in the first period.

"He was standing on his head," Dzingel said. "I think they had 21 shots in the first period and we wanted to hold them to 25 for the whole game so when a guy like that's playing for you, you want to do anything you can for him."

Boston was without leading scorer Brad Marchand, who began his five-game suspension for an elbow against New Jersey forward Marcus Johansson on Tuesday.

The Bruins took a 2-1 lead on a short-handed goal when Patrice Bergeron won a race to the puck and fed Schaller for a breakaway. The lead was short lived, as the Senators scored 20 seconds later after Dzingel and Matt Duchene executed a give-and-go.

The Bruins regained the lead when DeBrusk fired a bad-angle shot that Condon got a stick on, but the puck fluttered over and behind him.

With the Bruins on the power play, Zack Smith had the opportunity to clear the puck, but instead had his shot intercepted by Bergeron, who then found David Pastrnak. Pastrnak had a fluttering shot go up in the air and Heinen, with his first in nine games, was able to get a piece of it and beat Condon through the legs to tie it at 1.

Despite being outshot badly, the Senators managed to get out of the first period with a 1-0 lead. Chabot got his fourth of the season by firing a shot that hit Adam McQuaid's skate blade and went past Rask.

Game notes

During the first period, the Senators recognized Chris Neil, who retired last month, for his contributions to the organization.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 48

1 3

Henrique scores twice, Ducks end Bruins' streak with 3-1 win

BOSTON -- A quick start for the Anaheim Ducks finished Boston's run of 18 straight games with a point.

Adam Henrique and Jakob Silfverberg scored in the first period, when Anaheim held Boston to just five shots, and the Ducks held on for a 3-1 victory Tuesday night.

"We did a good job in the first period. We had some jump going," Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said.

The Ducks became the first team to beat the Bruins in regulation since Washington's 5-3 win Dec. 14 at Boston. Cam Fowler and Rickard Rakell had two assists apiece for Anaheim.

John Gibson stopped all 25 shots he faced before leaving in the third period after taking a puck off his chest earlier in the period. Ryan Miller played the final 7:25 and nearly completed a shutout for the Ducks before Ryan Spooner scored for Boston with 41 seconds left.

"We're trying to get on a streak of our own. I think we've been trending in the right direction with our hockey," Miller said.

Henrique scored into an empty net with 6.1 seconds remaining to seal it for the Ducks, who halted Boston's five-game winning streak and a stretch of 18 games with at least one point (14-0-4), which tied for the second-longest in franchise history.

"At some point it's going to happen. Hopefully we realize we need to be good from when they drop the puck," Bruins center Patrice Bergeron said. "We weren't moving our feet at the beginning. We had no forecheck or sustained pressure."

Anton Khudobin stopped 24 shots for the Bruins, who never recovered after being outshot 15-5 in the first period and falling behind 2-0 on goals by Silfverberg and Henrique.

"I thought we did a good job of that, controlling the play and obviously coming out with the lead," Henrique said. "Especially against this team at home, with the way they've been playing for a really long time, it was a big start for us."

The Ducks have won eight straight against the Bruins, who haven't beaten Anaheim since a 3-2 shootout win on Oct. 21, 2013.

The Bruins, who got away with several slow starts while riding their streak into the All-Star break, could not rally this time.

"It was disappointing the way we came out. We got the result that shows for it," Bergeron said. "You're not going to be able to get back in games every time."

Anaheim took a 1-0 lead when Khudobin couldn't quite hang onto a long backhand by Fowler. The puck fell from Khudobin's glove and slid across the crease, where it appeared to be knocked in by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara as he went crashing into his own net 9:04 into the game. Silfverberg was credited with the goal and assists went to Fowler and Rakell, who set up the Ducks' second goal a few minutes later when Henrique scored.

The Ducks were on a power play and worked the puck around the corners, then to Henrique in the right circle for a wrist shot that beat Khudobin on the stick side at 13:59.

"We get a bounce that went our way and then we scored a power-play goal to give us a 2-0 game and we kind of rode that the rest of the way," Carlyle said. "I think we were guilty of trying to play too cute in the second. We had opportunities to direct pucks toward the net and we decided to pass off. We got a little bit sloppy in the neutral ice with turnovers. We can't do that."

Gibson needed a few minutes to regroup after a hard shot from Bergeron hit him in the ribs early in the third, then ended up leaving with 7:25 left and was replaced by Miller.

"He looked like he was kind of having a little trouble. Hopefully it's nothing that's going to affect him too long," Miller said.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 49

3 1

Rask makes 32 saves, leads Bruins over Blues 3-1

BOSTON -- Tuukka Rask was again up to the task for the Bruins.

Rask made 32 saves and extended his personal point streak to 19 games lifting Boston to a 3-1 win over the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night.

"Any team will play better when you know the goaltender has your back," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We got sick of losing."

Rask is 17-0-2 in his last 19 starts and the Bruins improved to 15-1-4 in their last 20 games overall. David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron and David Backes scored for Boston.

In a game featuring two of the top three teams in goals against average, the goalies were the story as Jake Allen made 22 of his 43 saves in the second period -- including a spectacular glove stop of Krejci. Rask matched Allen by robbing Jaden Schwartz 1:45 into the third period with a glove save of his own.

"When I came off the ice, I started to feel bad for Jake, but then I was happy for him," Blues coach Mike Yeo said. "He rose to the occasion and if he continues to play like that, the game will reward him."

With the goalie pulled, Schwartz gave the Bruins a scare when he extended his scoring streak to five games and cut the lead to 2-1 with 1:32 remaining.

Backes scored an empty-netter against his old team with 1 second left to end it.

"Felt like I was on the cusp a few times tonight and my eyes were getting larger as I tried to beat the clock," Backes said. "Most complete game I feel we have played."

Krejci's goal was a controversial one at 12:32 of the first. He slipped the puck past a distracted Allen, who had collided with two Bruins players after making the initial save on Ryan Spooner. The Blues challenged by claiming goaltender interference, but the goal was upheld.

"You never know the way those challenges are going to go," Bruins defenseman Torey Krug said.

Bergeron added an insurance goal on the power play when he one-timed David Pastrnak's pass to beat Allen over the shoulder for a 2-0 Bruins lead at 9:05 of the third.

The Blues had previously won three straight and five of six.

Game notes

Kevan Miller left in the second period with an upper-body injury. ... Spooner had two assists for the Bruins. ... Boston scored first for the first time in nine games. ... Allen was undefeated in four career starts against Boston and started for the first time in seven games. ... Brad Marchand served the third game of his five-game suspension. ... St. Louis is 3-5-1 in its last nine road games.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast