Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boston Bruins 2017/18 Season

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 25

3 5

Smith scores twice to lead Predators over Bruins 5-3

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- With his team struggling in the third period, Predators coach Peter Laviolette called a timeout that helped swing the momentum.

Craig Smith scored twice and added an assist, and Nashville held off the Boston Bruins 5-3 on Monday night.

Kevin Fiala had a goal and an assist, and Nick Bonino and Filip Forsberg also scored for Nashville, which has won three of four. Pekka Rinne made 37 saves.

Charlie McAvoy, Zdeno Chara and David Pastrnak had the goals for Boston, which won its previous two games.

After the Predators raced out to a 4-0 lead, the Bruins cut it to 4-3 at 5:48 of the third. Laviolette used his lone timeout to try and halt the surge.

"One, just to stop the game, maybe send it in a different direction," Laviolette said. "Two, just to send a message that we've got to keep playing. I thought we were playing too much defense at that point. We needed to get back on the attack and look to create some offense."

Forsberg scored 34 seconds later and Nashville never looked back.

On a delayed offside just inside the Predators blue line, Boston's David Backes could not touch the puck. Nashville captain Roman Josi picked up the puck and found Forsberg with a pass in the neutral zone, sending him in on a breakaway. Forsberg beat goalie Tuukka Rask with a wrist shot that glanced off the inside of the right post.

"It's kind of a goofy play that's offside, but it's still 140 feet from our net," Backes said. "I think we can maybe get onside, still pressure it and they send a long pass to our blue line and sneak behind us and score a goal to make it a two-goal game again."

Forsberg has at least one point in each of Nashville's 14 home games this season.

"We were struggling big there in the third," Josi said. "Obviously, two quick goals. You're up 4-1, you don't want to give up two quick goals. When (Forsberg) has that puck on a breakaway in a dangerous spot, he always scores."

Smith scored the game's first goal at 1:26 of the opening period. Boston goalie Anton Khudobin stopped Alexei Emelin's slap shot from the left point, but Smith was positioned in the slot to bang home the rebound.

Smith struck again with 17.4 seconds remaining in the first.

From the left point, Mattias Ekholm sent a pass to Smith in the slot, sending him in on a partial breakaway. Smith beat Khudobin high to the glove side with a wrist shot for his 11th of the season.

"Just shooting the puck, having fun, making plays," Smith said. "We've got a good line going right now. It's as simple as that. I don't think I've changed very much. Took some of that preparation from last year and just continued to do it through this year."

Bonino made it 3-0 at 2:15 of the second.

Bonino won a faceoff back to Viktor Arvidsson at the top of the left circle. Arvidsson's shot hit Colton Sissons and the puck bounced to Bonino on the left side, where he had a virtually open net to put in his fifth of the season.

Fiala's goal at 4:10 spelled the end of the night for Khudobin. He allowed four goals on 14 shots and fell to 7-1-2 this season.

"When we made mistakes, we allowed them the good ice uncontested," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "You can't do that against any team, let alone a team like Nashville. Some mistakes there that were big ones."

Rask made 10 saves in relief.

McAvoy got the Bruins on the scoreboard at 10:14 of the second on a power play. From behind the Nashville net, Danton Heinen sent a pass to McAvoy at the right faceoff dot, where he beat Rinne with a one-timer low to the far side.

Boston made things interesting early in the third, getting goals from Chara and Pastrnak 1:15 apart to draw within one less than six minutes into the period.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 26

6 1

BOSTON -- David Backes is on the board with the Boston Bruins -- twice.

Backes scored his first two goals of the season, helping the Bruins beat the Arizona Coyotes 6-1 on Thursday night.

It was Backes' fourth game back after he missed 12 straight following surgery to remove part of his colon. The veteran forward scored his first goal with Boston on a tip-in 13:54 into the second and then added another goal with 54 seconds left in the period.

"No question -- contributing offensively is a good feeling," he said.

Brad Marchand scored 15 seconds into the game for the Bruins, who won for the seventh time in nine games. David Krejci, Danton Heinen and Anders Bjork also scored, and Tuukka Rask made 20 saves.

Christian Dvorak had an unassisted goal for Arizona, and Scott Wedgewood stopped 26 shots.

Backes, the former St. Louis captain who signed with Boston as an unrestricted free agent in July, was expected to miss up to eight weeks following his surgery to relieve inflammation caused by diverticulitis. He returned to the Bruins on Nov. 29 and got his 500th career point Monday with an assist during a loss at Nashville.

Backes, who has 225 career goals, said he was confident his first goal for the Bruins would come once he was healthy and his game started to return.

"I've always been one that trusted in the process -- trusted in playing hard, playing the right way and knowing that the results come from that," he said. "Over time, I know I'll get my looks, I'll get my opportunities. I've been there before and it'll go in eventually."

While there was no shortage of scoring for Boston, it was definitely Backes' night.

"He's a huge leader for our team," Marchand said. "There's a big void when he's not playing. We're very lucky to have the guy. He stepped up big tonight and really turned that game around for us."

Arizona coach Rick Tocchet said the Coyotes were able to shake off Marchand's early goal and played well up until midway through the second period.

"The 6-1 is not indicative of the game," Tocchet said. "They had one chance at the 10-minute mark and then we gave a couple plays away and it's 3-1 going into the third."

Backes deflected in Riley Nash's wrist shot from the blue line at to break a 1-all tie with 6:06 left in the second. He also stole the puck from Alex Goligoski inside the Arizona zone and beat Wedgewood with a wrist shot at 19:06.

Krecji's power-play goal in the opening minute of the third put Boston up 4-1 just 15 seconds after Luke Schenn was called for hooking. Heinen and Bjork scored 55 seconds apart late in the game, leading to a players-only meeting for the Coyotes.

"It was really about the last 10 minutes. We can't do that," Dvorak said. "We left Wedgie out to dry and that is unacceptable."

The Bruins struck first when Marchand scored on a one-timer off a crossing pass from David Pastrnak. But Dvorak tied it with a high backhand with 2:53 left in the first after stealing a clearing attempt by Brandon Carlo.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 27

3 1

Goals by Marchand, DeBrusk lead Bruins past Islanders 3-1

BOSTON -- Tuukka Rask has rediscovered his game and the Boston Bruins are starting to become the type of team they want to be in front of him -- one that's tough defensively.

Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk scored, Rask stopped 30 shots and the Bruins beat the New York Islanders 3-1 on Saturday night.

Danton Heinen added an empty-net goal, and Torey Krug and David Pastrnak each had two assists for the Bruins, who won for the eighth time in 10 games.

"Tuukka, you can usually tell how calm and composed he looks and it means we're generally calm and composed in front of him," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We're getting the result for him playing in front of him."

Anders Lee scored and Jaroslav Halak made 29 saves for New York, which has lost four of five.

Rask earned his fourth straight win after struggling to a 3-8-2 start this season, which prompted many Bruins fans to call for Cassidy to play backup Anton Khudobin as the No. 1 goalie. Khudobin opened the season 7-0-2.

"We're trying to build an identity that you have to battle hard and you have to skate hard," Rask said. "From that, you kind of build that identity and reputation to be a hard team to play against. That's something we want to accomplish and need to accomplish to make the playoffs and be an elite team in the league. I think we're heading in that direction."

The Bruins limited New York's chances most of the game.

"That's what they do," Islanders coach Doug Weight said. "They have big, long (defenseman), protect lanes and protect the net."

Marchand's goal made it 1-0 at 10:51 of the second period. With the Islanders short-handed because of a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty, Marchand took a pass from Krug, broke in down the left wing and snapped off a wrist shot that slipped between Halak's pads.

Early in the third, Marchand was given a five-minute major for interference when he came charging across the ice to hit John Tavares near the boards, but New York's Ryan Pulock took a cross-checking penalty when play stopped.

Boston's David Backes also got a major -- for head-butting -- and a game misconduct later in the third.

DeBrusk made it 2-0 when he collected a loose puck in the slot, spun and beat Halak with a wrister inside the right post 6:45 into the third.

Lee scored on a redirected shot from the top of the crease with 3:08 to play, just after Backes' penalty expired.

Heinen sealed it with 42 seconds left.

Rask was hardly tested through the first two periods, but made a solid glove stop on Mathew Barzal's shot from the left circle late in the second.

"We didn't enter the zone like we normally do tonight," Lee said. "We came in with no speed."

The best chances of a scoreless first came when Backes had a pair of bids from the edge of the crease seconds apart. Halak flashed his left pad to stop both.

Both teams seemed focused on limiting quality scoring chances from the start of the game -- and they did that, relying on tight checking and solid positioning to block shots and limit shooting angles in the first two periods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12