Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boston Bruins 2017/18 Season

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 50

3 2

Bruins beat Red Wings 3-2, close in on NHL-best Tampa Bay

DETROIT -- The Boston Bruins' formula looks almost foolproof at the moment: Rask and the rookies.

Tuukka Rask made 26 saves, and rookies Sean Kuraly and Danton Heinen scored for Boston in a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night. David Krejci also scored for the Bruins, who are 17-1-4 in their last 22 games and only three points behind NHL-leading Tampa Bay in the Atlantic Division.

Boston won without forward Brad Marchand, who served the final game of his five-game suspension for elbowing New Jersey's Marcus Johansson.

"We were joking about it after the game -- we're not sure Marchie is a lock to get back into this lineup," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "Frank (Vetrano) had a lower-body injury, and we'll have to see how he is tomorrow, but it is tough to break up this group."

The Bruins have an NHL-high 38 goals by rookies this season. Rask, meanwhile, improved to 19-0-2 in his last 21 games. Detroit had only 12 shots through two periods before adding 16 in the third.

"We're not going to skill our way to wins," Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill said. "We have to outwork the other team every night, and we've just got to decide that we're going to be special that way."

Martin Frk scored a power-play goal in the second for Detroit, but the Bruins quickly wiped out that lead later in the period with goals by Kuraly and Krejci. Heinen scored with 11:39 remaining in the third to put Boston up by two.

With their goalie pulled, the Red Wings moved within one when Frans Nielsen scored with 1:24 to play, but Boston held on.

"We've known all year that we have a great team if we just focus on what we're supposed to be doing," Rask said. "We aren't worried about other teams, and we're getting off to better starts, but even if we get a goal behind like we did today, we know that we can still win the game if we play our game."

Frk opened the scoring when he beat Rask from the left circle, and Darren Helm whiffed on a rebound later in the second, missing a chance to double Detroit's lead. Kuraly equalized with 7:49 remaining in the period.

Just more than two minutes later, after a scramble in front, the puck popped out to Krejci in the slot. With goalie Jimmy Howard out of position, Krejci scored his 10th goal of the season.

Heinen beat Howard high to the blocker side for his 12th goal . Nielsen made it 3-2 when he put a rebound past Rask.

Nielsen had another chance in the final minute when the puck bounced to his feet right in front of the net, but he wasn't able to get his stick on it cleanly.

"I just fanned on it," Nielsen said. "I know it was bouncing right there. I think it went down on the heel or something."
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 51

6 1

Bruins rout Rangers 6-1 for 18th win in 23 games

NEW YORK -- The Boston Bruins have been winning every conceivable way recently. Against the sagging New York Rangers, they used stellar goaltending early and six straight goals to do the job.

Riley Nash and Zdeno Chara scored first-period goals and Patrice Bergeron added two in the second to help the surging Bruins swamp the Rangers 6-1 on Wednesday night.

The Bruins won for the 18th time in their last 23 games, getting 21 saves from backup netminder Anton Khudobin. The Bruins (33-11-8) are just a point behind Atlantic Division-leading Tampa Bay.

"In the first period, our goaltender was terrific," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "He was the difference tonight. We got a lead going into the second and once that happened, our group thought we would be in good shape."

Tim Schaller's goal that made it 4-1 at 7:25 of the second period chased Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist and brought boos from the crowd at Madison Square Garden. Lundqvist was replaced by Ondrej Pavelec.

"After they scored two in the first, instead of staying aggressive the way I need to be, I became passive," said Lundqvist, who hasn't won since Jan. 18. "When you lose a lot, obviously it's going to affect you."

The Rangers had won seven straight over the Bruins, including both meetings this season. But New York was no match for the Boston attack on Wednesday.

After Rick Nash gave the Rangers an early lead with his 16th goal five minutes into the first period, the Bruins began their relentless barrage. Riley Nash tied it with his eighth of the season at 7:54 with assists to David Backes and Danton Heinen.

Lundqvist initially stopped a shot by Backes. But the Bruins forward recovered his rebound, then sent the puck in front to Nash as Rangers defenseman Tony DeAngelo was caught out of position.

Chara, the 40-year-old defenseman playing his 20th NHL season, put Boston ahead at 16:09 of the first with his fifth goal of the season and the 193rd of his career.

"We were talking we wanted to keep making strong plays and play well defensively," Chara said. "Anton made some really good saves for us and we got ahead."

The Bruins extended the lead to 3-1 at 3:47 of the second when Bergeron's long shot from just inside the blue line skittered past Lundqvist after the goaltender seemed to make a pad save.

Schaller extended the lead with his eighth of the season before Bergeron scored his second of the game -- this time short-handed -- at the 10-minute mark. The goal was Bergeron's team-leading 24th and came with assists to Chara and Brad Marchand, who returned after serving a five-game suspension for elbowing New Jersey's Marcus Johansson.

"Every line is stepping up for us," Marchand said. "It makes us hard to play against."

Sean Kuraly completed the scoring with his fifth goal at 6:14 of the third.

Boston is 18-1-4 in their last 23 games and 27-4-4 in its last 35 contests. The Bruins are 10-0-2 in their last 12 road games. They last lost an away game in regulation on Dec. 4 at Nashville.

"We want to play up to a certain standard and not worry about what the other team does," Chara added. "We just want to focus on us."

The spiraling Rangers have lost four straight and seven of their last eight games. They are 3-10-0 since winning at Arizona on Jan. 6. The Rangers last missed the playoffs in 2010.

"There's no doubt they made us look very bad tonight," Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said. "There's no doubt that in the second period after that third and fourth goal, we fell hard."

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 52

2 4

Wilson helps Sabres cool off Rask, Bruins in 4-2 victory

BOSTON -- Buffalo star Jack Eichel went down with an injury and his teammates responded with one of their best performances of the season.

Scott Wilson had a goal and an assist during Buffalo's big second period, helping the Sabres cool off Tuukka Rask and the Boston Bruins with a 4-2 victory on Saturday night.

"I thought the guys made a terrific effort tonight," Buffalo coach Phil Housley said. "One of the best games I've seen us check."

Eichel left midway through the opening period, favoring his right knee after falling awkwardly on a check by Boston defenseman Matt Grzelcyk along the boards behind the Bruins' net.

"He got tangled up in the corner," Housley said. "We'll know tomorrow when he sees our doctors."

Evander Kane and Benoit Pouliot also scored during the second and Rasmus Ristolainen added an empty-netter with 29 seconds remaining. Former Bruins goalie Chad Johnson made 25 saves as the Sabres picked up the road win with their fathers along for the trip.

"To see Jack go down like that, that's a big hole to fill," Pouliot said. "(The win) feels good for the dads and for everyone."

The Sabres had lost four of five and entered with the NHL's second-fewest points.

Rask stopped 24 shots, but lost in regulation for the first time since Nov. 26. It snapped his career-best 21-game streak with at least a point (19-0-2), the fourth-longest in team history.

The Bruins were bothered by their subpar effort.

"I think it was pretty obvious that wasn't our best game -- the way we want to play -- but those games happen," Rask said.

Boston center Patrice Bergeron agreed they had a poor effort from the start.

"We were flat," Bergeron said. "When you do that, you don't deserve it -- plain and simple."

Ryan Spooner and David Backes accounted for Boston's goals. The Bruins failed to get a point for just the second time in 24 games (18-2-4).

Backes scored with 59 seconds left after Rask was replaced by an extra skater. But Ristolainen fired one nearly the length of the ice for his fifth of the season.

Kane made it 1-0 when he broke in on a clean breakaway after Bruins forward David Pastrnak flubbed a pass near the right point and Sam Reinhart passed the puck to the winger. Kane fired a hard wrist shot that beat Rask on the glove side inside the right post 7:44 into the second.

Wilson made it 2-0 just over five minutes later when he collected a loose puck that was blocked by Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid and slipped a wrist shot into the net.

Spooner's goal sliced the lead in half before Pouliot one-timed Wilson's pass by Rask at the end of a 3-on-1 break with 71 seconds left in the second.

Rask made a pair of nice pad stops in a relatively quiet opening period. Boston's first shot on goal by a forward came in the final minute.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    [b]Game # 53[/]

5 3

McQuaid's first goal gives Bruins win over Devils

NEWARK, N.J. -- Even when they don't play their best, the Boston Bruins are still getting it done on the road.

Adam McQuaid got his first goal of the season with 8:05 to play, and the Bruins extended their road point-scoring streak to 13 games with a 5-3 victory over the slumping New Jersey Devils on Sunday night.

"We're trying to dictate the play early," said Boston defenseman Torey Krug, who scored twice. "Don't let the other team use their home-ice advantage, just make sure we're skating and going and have them react to us. I think every game we've given ourselves a chance to win the game going into the third period. We were ugly the first two, but got the job done in the third."

Boston is 11-0-2 in its current road run and 16-5-4 away from TD Garden overall.

Tim Schaller also scored a goal that the Devils were not convinced crossed the goal line despite a review, and Patrice Bergeron added an empty-netter as the Bruins improved to 19-2-4 in their last 25 games. Boston also killed off all seven New Jersey power plays, scored an extra-man goal and got two short-handed in sweeping the three-game season series.

"We're getting production up and down the lineup," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "If they shut down our top guys then someone else contributes. That's a hallmark of our group, they like to pick each other up and know they don't have to be the best player every night."

Backup goalie Anton Khudobin stopped a first-period penalty shot and finished with 35 saves as Boston avoided consecutive losses in regulation for what would have been the third time this season.

Miles Wood, Taylor Hall and Kyle Palmieri scored for the Devils, who have lost four straight and eight of 11. Eddie Lack, who was acquired in a trade with Calgary in late December, made 22 saves in his first start for New Jersey.

"Our power play was the difference tonight," Hall said. "They got one and we gave up a couple on the other end. Like I said, it was one of those nights. We were trying. The effort was there, 5 on 5, I thought we had them for sure. Our power play could not execute."

McQuaid, who returned to the lineup on Jan. 17 after missing 36 games with a broken right leg, snapped a 3-all tie with a shot from the right point that deflected off the stick of Devils forward Drew Stafford and bounced past Lack.

"He battles so hard for us, does little things, blocks shots, and make hits," Krug said of McQuaid. "For him to get that one and play with confidence was great. It's nice to see him get rewarded."

It was the first game between the teams since Brad Marchand was suspended for five games for elbowing New Jersey's Marcus Johansson in the head in Boston on Jan. 23. Marchand was booed every time he touched the puck.

There was a scrum after Bergeron scored with 39 seconds to play. Marchand was knocked down by Damon Severson before the goal.

Boston took leads of 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 in the first two periods. The Devils responded every time, with Palmieri tying it at 3 by beating Khudobin in close after taking a nice pass from Hall.

The Bruins' first two goals were a little bizarre. Krug got his first when Nico Hischier tried to clear a puck in the crease and slid it under Lack, who was playing in his sixth NHL game this season.

Wood came out of the penalty box and tied the game with a breakaway goal at 16:32, but Schaller got the lead back for Boston with a stuff at the corner of the net with three seconds left after Hall could not handle a Lack pass.

Hall made up for the mistake 31 seconds into the second period after Hischier intercepted a Marchand pass.

Krug got his 10th of the season with a point shot three seconds after Stafford was called for elbowing.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 54

5 2

Bergeron, Nash leads Bruins past Flames 5-2

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins made up for a slow start with an impressive finish.

Patrice Bergeron played a key role.

Bergeron score two of Boston's three goals in the third period, and the Bruins pulled away from the Calgary Flames for a 5-2 win on Tuesday night.

Boston held Calgary to 17 shots in the last 40 minutes and scored four straight goals after falling behind 2-1.

"We played much more to our style of play, how we want to wear teams down and eventually get our looks," coach Bruce Cassidy said.

"That's essentially what we asked our group to be after the first period. Let's just play hard, get back to competing hard and winning pucks, getting there first. If you're not getting there first, arrive ornery and I thought we did a good job."

Riley Nash also scored twice and David Backes had two assists for the Bruins, who won for the sixth time in seven games. Zdeno Chara had an empty-net goal and Tuukka Rask stopped 27 shots.

"I thought the last 40 minutes were the way we want to play," Bergeron said. "That's heavy team that's got a lot of skills. It's going to happen. You're not going to dominate and be at your best all the time."

Calgary had won four of five. Sam Bennett and Johnny Gaudreau scored for the Flames, and David Rittich had 35 saves.

Down 4-2, the Flames gambled by pulling Rittich for an extra skater and Chara made them play with an end-to-end shot with 3:46 left to play.

After coming up empty on five power-play opportunities, the Flames felt they cost themselves a chance at a point or two in the fifth of six straight on the road.

"We've just got to better obviously on special teams," said Flames captain Mark Giordano, who assisted on Gaudreau's goal. "We had our looks on the power play. We had some good kills early but at the end of the day not good enough."

The Flames wrap up the long trip Thursday at Nashville.

Boston jumped in front on Nash's ninth goal just 28 seconds into the game, but Bennett got his eighth of the season at 2:03 and Gaudreau stuffed in a rebound at 9:12 to put Calgary up 2-1.

Nash tied it with 3:40 left in the second, and Boston regained the lead 1:15 into the third period when Bergeron scored on the power play. Bergeron took a long pass through center ice from Torey Krug and beat Rittich with a wrist shot to the stick side.

It was the 26th goal of the season for Bergeron, who added No. 27 at 9:19 when he tipped in a shot from Brad Marchand after blocking a shot in Boston's own zone and starting the Bruins on an odd-man rush the other way.

"You always try to take care of the D-zone first and then you can think offense," Bergeron said. "Obviously after that we were able to sustain some pressure and eventually get the goal."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 55

1 6

Eriksson, Nilsson lead Canucks past Bruins, 6-1

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Anders Nilsson finally had his hard work rewarded with a victory.

Loui Eriksson scored his second goal of the night late in the third period and Nilsson stopped 44 shots to pick up his first win in 2 1/2 months as the Vancouver Canucks beat the Boston Bruins 6-1 Saturday night.

Nilsson was 0-7-0 in his last 11 appearances, including nine starts, since beating Nashville on Nov. 30.

"I feel like I'm getting back to my game a little bit," the 27-year-old Swede said. "Even though the results haven't been going my way, or the team's way, I'm feeling like my game has slowly been getting back to the way it should be and the way when I play my best.

"It feels great to be able to contribute to two points."

Nilsson started the season strong with four wins in his first five starts, including shutouts over Ottawa and Minnesota. Since December, however, he has struggled. His win against the Bruins improved his record to 7-10-1.

Jacob Markstrom was scheduled to start against the Bruins after Nilsson played in a 4-1 loss to San Jose on Thursday night. Nilsson learned after the morning skate that Markstrom was sick and he'd be starting instead.

"It was plenty of time to get prepared," he said. "I still had the whole day. I just prepared the way I normally do."

Daniel Sedin, Sven Baertschi, Nic Dowd and Bo Horvat also scored for Vancouver, which scored four goals in the first to take control. It gave the Canucks just their second win in eight games.

Vancouver was outshot 45-23 but got some timely saves from Nilsson.

Tim Schaller scored in the third period for the Bruins, who lost in regulation for just the third time in 27 games. Tuukka Rask started and gave up four goals on eight shots in the first period. Anton Khudobin came on to start the second and finished with 13 saves.

"I look at the goals and they got there," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "They wanted to get there, and we didn't prevent them from getting there.

"We got sloppy at times and we paid the price."

Nilsson made a couple of big saves early, including getting a pad on Danton Heinen's shot off a rebound during a first-period Boston power play. In the third, he robbed Schaller and Sean Kuraly on back-to-back plays.

Nilsson also got a little lucky as the Bruins hit three posts in the first 20 minutes.

"We played a pretty good game, but we have to be honest, we got some bounces," Nilsson said. "It was nice to see us get an early lead and maybe control the game.

The Canucks were outshot 18-9 in the first period but led 4-0.

Eriksson opened the scoring two minutes into the game. Rask gave up a big rebound off Alex Edler's shot, and Sedin took a swipe at the puck before it rolled to Eriksson, who whacked it into the net.

The Canucks went ahead 2-0 at 10:54 on a pretty play from Thomas Vanek. He skated down the middle the ice then feathered a pass through the legs of Bruins defenseman Brandon Carlo to Sedin, who was alone at the side of the net.

Horvat made it 3-0 just 56 seconds later as he took a pass from Troy Stecher, skated around defenseman Charlie McAvoy, and put a shot over Rask's glove. Nilsson earned an assist on the goal.

The Canucks made it 4-0 on a strange play. Rask stopped a shot from Baertschi and Boston's Noel Acciari tried to clear the rebound, but the puck hit Kuraly's stick and went into the net.

"We hung our goalies out to dry," the Bruins' David Backes said. "Then you are climbing uphill the rest of the games."

Dowd scored the only goal of the second period to make it 5-0. Jake Virtanen cut across the front of the net and took a shot that Khudobin stopped but Dowd put in the rebound for his second at 2:44.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123