Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Boston Bruins 2017/18 Season

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 75

4 2

Bergeron has goal, 2 assists as Bruins beat Lightning 4-2

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins appear to be quite ready for the playoffs.

And the Tampa Bay Lightning are slumping at the wrong time of the season.

The top two teams in the Eastern Conference slugged it out Thursday night and Boston prevailed, knocking Tampa Bay out of first place for the first time since October with a 4-2 win on Thursday night.

"This definitely had a playoff feel to it," said Brand Marchand, whose empty-net goal with 56 seconds left sealed it for the Bruins, who took over first place in the conference with less than two weeks remaining in the regular season.

"Obviously we all know how big it was for the standings and what it meant for both teams. So it was great to see the guys react the way they did and have the game we did."

Patrice Bergeron had a goal and two assists, Tim Schaller and David Pastrnak scored goals 32 seconds apart in the final minute of the first period and Tuukka Rask made 26 saves for the Bruins, who have 107 points and lead Tampa Bay by a point.

Boston has six games remaining in the regular season to five for Tampa Bay.

For the first time since Oct. 18, a team other than the Lightning leads the Eastern Conference.

"I think it means that we've been playing pretty good hockey the last couple of months," said Rask, who also helped set the emotional tone by unloading a flurry of punches on Tampa Bay's Cory Conacher during a scrum in the second.

It was one of many times in the game that postseason implications were apparent, including a rare fight for Pastrnak in the third period and several more battles before the officials had to separate both sides one final time -- after the third-period buzzer.

"There was a ton of passion," Tampa Bay's Alex Killorn said. "There was a lot of hits and a lot of scrums after the whistle. It seems like it could potentially be a playoff matchup. It definitely had a playoff atmosphere tonight."

J.T. Miller scored a power-play goal for Tampa Bay in the second and Victor Hedman added a goal in the third. Andrei Vasilevskiy finished with 26 saves for the Lightning, who have lost three straight and are 0-3 against the Bruins this season.

"Playing in here is always difficult," Killorn said. "The second and third period, I think we did a pretty good job. We created a lot more opportunities for ourselves."

Killorn had an apparent goal waved off in the third when a teammate was in the crease with Boston leading 2-1. A few minutes later, Torey Krug passed to Bergeron at the side of the net for a goal to put Boston up 3-1 at 11:59 of the third.

The Lightning cut it to 3-2 when Hedman beat Rask through his legs with 6:06 remaining in the third, but Marchand's empty-netter sealed it and Boston took over the top spot in the division and conference.

"It was a big win for us. Finally we jumped them after a whole season chasing them," Pastrnak said.

The Bruins outshot the Lightning 17-6 in the first period and took a 2-0 lead with a pair of goals in the final minute.

Schaller put Boston up 1-0 after stealing the puck from Ryan McDonagh just inside the blue line and started a 2-on-1 break with Tommy Wingels, who got off a shot as Schaller crashed the net and poked in the rebound.

Killorn took an interference penalty with 31 seconds remaining and Pastrnak scored 5 seconds into the penalty, putting the Bruins up 2-0 with 26 seconds left in the period.

The game paused for a few minutes with 8:44 left in the second after Rask took a few shots at Conacher when he was slow to get up after getting tangled with Brandon Carlo in the crease.

Rask landed several punches with his glove before players from both teams jumped in and were eventually separated.

Vasilevskiy skated toward the other end, but was cut off at the blue line by referee Francois St. Laurent, who kept the Tampa Bay goalie from entering the fray. Boston fans roared their approval by shouting "Tuuuuuuuuk!" throughout the altercation.

Later in the second, it was Pastrnak stepping in after a hit on Bergeron and squaring off with Tampa Bay's Dan Girardi. Pastrnak said it was his first fight and his inexperience showed when Girardi quickly took him down, but the Bruins appreciated his effort.

"I don't think I've fought ever -- like ever," he said. "I'm a pretty calm-down guy."
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 76

5 1

Bruins beat Panthers 5-1, regain first place in East

BOSTON -- Jake DeBrusk scored twice in his first game in more than two weeks, and Tuukka Rask stopped 30 shots on Saturday to help Boston beat the Florida Panthers 5-1 and move the Bruins back into first place in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

David Krejci had three assists and rookie Ryan Donato had a goal and an assist for Boston, which has won four of its last five games. The Bruins have earned a point in eight straight games and 15 of their last 17.

Jamie McGinn scored for Florida, which remains three points behind New Jersey in the race for the eighth and final playoff spot in the East. James Reimer stopped 17 of the 22 shots he faced before he was replaced by Roberto Luongo with 3:28 left in the second period, trailing 5-1.

Luongo, the losing goalie for Vancouver in the Bruins' 2011 Stanley Cup run, stopped all 11 shots the rest of the way.

Two days after a physical battle for first place with the Tampa Bay Lighting, which the Bruins won 4-2 to take temporary possession of the top spot, Boston sent the struggling Panthers to their third straight loss and moved back into first. The Lightning had jumped ahead of the Bruins with a win at the New York Rangers on Friday night.

McGinn gave the Panthers the lead when he poked a rebound between Rask's skate and the post five minutes into the first.

From there, it was all Boston.

The Bruins tied it when Krecji spun around at the blue line and wheeled it right to the slot for Nick Holden, who tipped through Reimer's legs and into the net for his first goal as a Bruin. With six minutes left in the first, Donato took advantage of a giveaway by Alexander Petrovic behind the Panthers' net and flipped it to DeBrusk in front.

Donato made it 3-1 just 90 seconds into the second period, Patrice Bergeron padded the lead and then DeBrusk scored on a rebound to chase Reimer. Donato has seven points in seven career NHL games.

Game notes

Bruins D Brandon Carlo was taken off on a stretcher in the third period after an apparent ankle injury. ... Reimer played in his 300th NHL game. ... Referee Tom Kowal officiated his last of more than 1,000 NHL games before retiring. ... The Bruins' 7th Player Award was given to D Charlie McAvoy before the game.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 77

3 4 OT

Claude Giroux's OT goal lifts Flyers over Bruins 4-3

PHILADELPHIA -- Claude Giroux scored his second goal with 1:21 left in overtime and the Philadelphia Flyers recovered from blowing a late lead, beating the Boston Bruins 4-3 Sunday to inch closer to returning to the playoffs after a year absence.

Travis Konecny added a dazzling goal and an assist, Nolan Patrick also scored and Petr Mrazek made 36 saves for the Flyers. Philadelphia who opened an eight-point lead over idle Florida, the last team that can overtake them for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference -- the Flyers have three games left and the Panthers five.

Patrice Bergeron tied it with 3.8 seconds left in regulation for the Bruins. With the goaltender pulled, Bergeron got his 30th goal on feed from Brad Marchand after the Flyers twice failed to clear the puck.

Noel Acciari and David Pasrnak scored and Anton Khudobin stopped 20 shots for the Bruins, who lost Brandon Carlo and Riley Nash to injuries a day earlier.

Giroux's career-high 29th goal on a breakaway extended Philadelphia's point streak to 5-0-3.

The Bruins controlled much of the play but had its eight-game point streak snapped. They remained one-point ahead of Tampa Bay atop the the Atlantic Division. The Lightning played later against Nashville.

A day after Vegas' Willam Karlsson's short-handed, between-the-legs goal was declared by many to be the NHL's top goal this season, Konecny provided competition. His nifty stick work made it 2-0 just 25 seconds into the second period.

Konecny flicked the puck between two defenders along the boards, regained possession in the faceoff circle, went to his backhand to slip past a flailing Bergeron and then quickly switched back to his forehand and beat Khudobin from the slot for his 24th goal.

Moments after Konecny and Giroux botched a two-on-none, the Bruins got within 2-1 with 5:35 left in the second period when Acciari sent a shot over Mrazek's left shoulder.

Patrick's 11th goal at 5:31 of the third made it 3-1. But Oskar Lindblom was called for hooking 28 seconds later and Pastrnak scored his 33rd on the power play to cut the lead in half.

The Bruins welcomed Zdeno Chara back from an upper body injury a day after losing fellow defenseman Carlo to a possible serious leg injury, but couldn't complete a season sweep of Philadelphia.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 78

0 4

Lightning beat 4-0 Bruins; teams tied for division lead

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Boston Bruins missed a chance to edge even closer to a division title.

Andrei Vasilevskiy made 33 saves, Braydon Coburn and Ryan Callahan both had two assists during a three-goal second period, and the Tampa Bay Lightning beat Boston 4-0 Tuesday night to move into a tie for the Atlantic Division lead with the Bruins.

"They hadn't beaten us this year, and they were determined to do that," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "The first period, I thought we were clearly outplayed for the most part. I thought the second period we didn't give up as many quality chances and three of them went in. That's the way it goes some times."

Brayden Point, Victor Hedman, Chris Kunitz and J.T. Miller scored for the Lightning, who had lost four of five.

"We want to finish in first place," Hedman said. "The first two periods were some of the best hockey we've played all year. I was very happy with the way we played."

Tampa Bay played without star center Steven Stamkos, who left Sunday's game against Nashville in the second period with a lower-body injury. It hasn't been announced if Stamkos will play in either of the Lightning's final two regular-season games.

Tuukka Rask stopped 32 shots for the Bruins, who had gone 5-0-4 over their previous nine games. Boston has three regular-season games left.

"They were definitely the better team," Rask said.

Vasilevskiy stopped a breakaway shot by David Pastrnak in the second, a period that saw Point, Hedman and Kunitz all have goals as the Lightning took a 3-0 lead. Tampa Bay has outscored its opponents 109-72 during the second this season.

It was Vasilevskiy's eighth shutout this season and first win (1-4-1) in six games against Boston. The eight shutouts set a franchise record.

"When he's on his game, he's really hard to beat," Point said.

Miller scored during a 2-on-1 break early in the third.

"A complete effort by the whole team," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said.

Boston won three of four in the season series.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 79

2 3

Panthers keep playoff hopes going in Luongo's 1,000th game

SUNRISE, Fla. -- The Florida Panthers are still alive for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. They're going to need some help, though.

Jared McCann scored with 5:37 left and Roberto Luongo got the win in his 1,000th career game, helping the Panthers stay in contention with a 3-2 victory over the Boston Bruins on Thursday night.

The Panthers trail the Philadelphia Flyers by four points for the final Eastern Conference wild card and have two games remaining, including a matchup Sunday night with Boston. Florida needs to win both games and have the Flyers lose to the New York Rangers in regulation Saturday.

"It would be nice to control our own fate, but we don't have that luxury," coach Bob Boughner said. "Who knows what's going to happen, but we know we have a job to do. Let's just hope that we are in a situation Saturday when the puck drops we've got a chance to make the playoffs."

The Panthers were also chasing the Devils and Blue Jackets, but both teams clinched playoff spots with victories Thursday.

The 39-year-old Luongo became the third goalie to reach the 1,000-game mark, joining Hall of Famers Martin Brodeur (1,266) and Patrick Roy (1,029). Luongo is the 322nd player to reach the milestone overall. He stopped 26 shots Thursday.

"It wasn't easy. I was feeling a little bit sluggish today for some reason, but tell you what, the boys probably played their best game of the year," Luongo said. "That's the best gift the boys could have given me."

Aleksander Barkov scored his 100th career goal, and Florida's Frank Vatrano scored a goal against his former team.

Barkov left the game with 6:51 left in the third period with an apparent upper-body injury after he was checked hard into the boards by Colby Cave. McCann took his spot on the top line and was able to make an impact.

"I was ready to go," McCann said. "I look for those opportunities every day. I was able to step up."

There wasn't an update on Barkov after the game.

"I know the doctors are back there checking him out, so I don't have anything as of now. It didn't look great when he was going off the ice, to be honest," Boughner said.

Danton Heinen and Ryan Donato scored for the Bruins. Tuukka Rask stopped 32 shots.

"Yeah, a tough start," Rask said. "They came to play, that's not a surprise to anybody. They're fighting for their lives and need every point they can get. You have to be ready for that and we weren't."

The Bruins have lost three straight, their longest losing streak since a four-game skid from November 8-15.

"You don't want to go into the playoffs limping," Rask said. "You want to go in full stride and that's something we have to fix the last two games."

Boston remains tied with Tampa Bay for the lead in the Atlantic Division, but Tampa owns the tiebreaker. Each team has two games left.

"We've got one out of six points on this trip," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "That's what happens in this league, I don't care what teams you play. A bad formula to play from behind. Guys have to be ready to go when the puck drops. That's something we have to look to correct."

McCann tipped in the winner off Mike Matheson's shot from the left side.

The Bruins tied it at 2 on Heinen's goal 2:11 into the second period. After a defensive turnover, David Krejci passed across to Heinen, who beat Luongo on the stick side.

Trailing 2-0, the Bruins closed to 2-1 on a power-play goal by Donato, who corralled a bouncing puck in front and swept it behind Luongo with 4:41 left in the first.

The Panthers took a 1-0 lead on Barkov's goal. Evgenii Dadonov made a nice pass from the right side to Barkov, who tucked the puck into the corner of the net at 7:42.

The Panthers went ahead 2-0 after Vatrano, acquired by the Panthers in a trade with Boston on Feb. 22, poked in a rebound at 9:34.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Pastrnak scores 34th, Bruins beat Senators 5-2

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins won, then got the break they needed to remain in contention for the top seed in the Eastern Conference.

David Pastrnak and Tommy Wingels scored 51 seconds apart in the second period and Boston beat Ottawa 5-2 on Saturday night, a win that preserved Bruins' chances for the No. 1 seed with an overtime loss by Tampa Bay.

"It's been a battle all year. It's been a grind, but we're in that position," said Patrice Bergeron, who assisted on Pastrnak's tying goal 8:08 into the second period.

The Bruins host Florida on Sunday night in a game postponed by a winter storm Jan. 4. Boston is one point behind Tampa Bay, which lost in overtime at Carolina, for the top spot in the East and the Atlantic Division.

Danton Heinen also scored for Boston, which added late goals by Noel Acciari and David Backes in the final two minutes to put away the Senators and complete the season sweep.

Anton Khudobin stopped 26 shots for the Bruins.

"We have a chance to move into first. That's what we all can ask for -- to have a chance," Boston captain Zdeno Chara said. "It's in our hands tomorrow."

Ryan Dzingel scored both goals for Ottawa and Colin White had two assists. Daniel Taylor made 29 saves for the Senators, who finished 28-43-11 one year after reaching the Eastern Conference finals.

The Senators closed out the season with back-to-back games on the road against two of the top teams in the East. After getting shut out 4-0 at Pittsburgh on Friday night, Ottawa didn't concede anything against the Bruins.

"We've got a lot of young guys and some big names missing. It could have been easy yesterday or today to come up with a poor effort or a lack of commitment," Ottawa coach Guy Boucher said. "We were making some mental mistakes and stuff but I think the effort was there from the beginning until the end."

After falling behind 1-0 on Dzingel's goal 12:31 into the game, Boston tied it on Pastrnak's power-play goal 8:08 into the second period. The tie lasted less than a minute before Wingels fired a wrist shot that Taylor got his glove on but couldn't hold and the puck bounced over the goal line at 8:59 of the second.

Heinen made a steal at the Boston blue line and took it the other way, beating Taylor on a wrist shot with 2:59 left in the second.

Dzingel pulled Ottawa to 3-2 at 7:07 of the third with his second goal of the game, but Acciari added an insurance goal for Boston with 1:51 left and David Backes scored on an empty net with 43 seconds left to play.

"I thought today we got better as the game went on and we really started playing our game, our style, our system and it showed on the scoreboard," Bergeron said. "We're in a position where we can win the conference. It's a big feat."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Panthers spoil Bruins' bid for top seed in East

BOSTON -- The Bruins didn't seem like the team with the most to gain until it was too late Sunday night.

Roberto Luongo came off the bench to shut down Boston in the third period, and the Florida Panthers dashed the Bruins' hopes of getting the top seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs with a 4-2 win.

The Bruins trailed Tampa Bay by a point heading into the regular-season finale but couldn't top a Panthers team that was eliminated from postseason contention Saturday.

"You would have hoped the urgency would have been there with an opportunity to win the division," Bruins forward David Backes said. "We had it in the third, but needed it right from the get go."

Boston will host the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first round beginning Thursday night. The Leafs were 3-1 against the Bruins in the regular season.

Florida starter James Reimer left in the third with an injury, and Luongo came in and stopped eight shots over the last 8:07. The pair combined to make 41 saves.

Henrik Borgstrom, Frank Vatrano, Maxim Mamin and Evgenii Dadonov scored for Florida.

Backes and David Pastrnak had a goal each for Boston, with Pastrnak cutting it to 3-2 shortly before Reimer was hurt. Tuukka Rask made 22 saves.

"We didn't deserve to win and that's the reality," Rask said. "I think it's mental, just not being sharp enough at the drop of the puck."

After beating the Bruins for the second time in three games, Florida is headed home despite an impressive 25-8-2 run to end the season, including winning their last five.

"It's disappointing. We were really hoping that we'd get a little help from some other teams and maybe get in," Panthers forward Vincent Trocheck said. "I think there's a lot of teams that didn't want to play us if we did make it in."

Trailing 3-1 heading into the third, Boston made a furious surge, outshooting Florida 26-6 but only scoring once.

Pastrnak scored a power-play goal at 9:54 of the third. Pastrnak led the Bruins with 35 goals and had a career-high 80 points.

"It has been a tough schedule for us but that's not an excuse," Pastrnak said. "The last few weeks have not been our best."

Dadonov put the game away when he scored an insurance goal with 1:49 remaining.

"Would have been easy for them to come and in and shut it down but it's a competitive league," Bruins forward Brad Marchand said.

Boston had been unbeaten in regulation over its last 11 home games and had beaten Florida in 12 of 13 overall.

Boston lost in the first round last year to Ottawa in six games after failing to make the playoffs the two previous seasons.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Bruins beat Maple Leafs 5-1 in opener of playoff series

BOSTON -- Sean Kuraly isn't so good at waiting.

The Boston Bruins forward is usually going full-speed on the ice, whether it's chasing the puck on the forecheck or sizing up an opponent for a hit. So when he saw David Pastrnak's shot hit off the post and flutter into the air, it was tough for Kuraly to be patient.

"A play like that doesn't come around very often. When it does, it's kind of a waiting game," he said on Thursday night after bunting the puck into the net to help the Bruins beat Toronto 5-1 in the opener of their first-round Eastern Conference playoff series.

"It's not really my style," said Kuraly, who had to resist hitting the puck before it fell below the level of the crossbar to avoid being called for a high stick. "To go from 100 mph and hitting everything that moves and (wait) in front of the net, it can be a challenge."

Brad Marchand, David Backes and David Krejci each scored a power-play goal, and Tuukka Rask stopped 26 shots for Boston. Pastrnak scored to make it 3-1 with 38 seconds left in the second period, then moved in on goalie Frederik Andersen seven minutes into the third before backhanding the puck off the post.

Kuraly waited, and then two-handed the puck off the shaft of his stick like a bunt as he fell over the sprawling goalie.

"I'm a terrible baseball player," he said. "It has nothing to do with baseball."

Game 2 of the best-of-seven series is back at the TD Garden on Saturday night.

"We've got a day to solve our problems," Toronto coach Mike Babcock said. "We could feel sorry for ourselves if we want tonight, but that's a waste of time and energy."

Boston already scored two power-play goals when Toronto's Nazem Kadri was thrown out of the game and given a five-minute major for an elbow to Tommy Wingels' head. Three-minutes later, Krejci bounced it in off Andersen from behind to make it 5-1.

"I thought it was the appropriate call," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "Where it goes from here is out of my hands."

Zach Hyman scored Toronto's only goal, and Andersen made 35 saves.

"They cranked it up, and we didn't answer," defenseman Ron Hainsey said.

The matchup is the first in the postseason for the teams since Toronto's Game 7 collapse in the first round in 2013, when Boston rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the third period, scoring twice in the last 82 seconds of regulation to send it into overtime. The Bruins went on to reach the Stanley Cup Finals.

The Maple Leafs never had a lead to blow in this one.

And the Boston power play was the reason.

"Obviously, our penalty kill wasn't good enough," Babcock said. "We took too many penalties in the third, and the third was no contest."

With James Van Riemsdyk off for hooking, Marchand scored on a backhander to give the Bruins the lead 5:28 into the game. Hyman tied it for the Leafs with about three minutes before the break but Backes put Boston back in front early in the second on a pass from Krejci.

Pastrnak converted a pass from Marchand with 38 seconds left in the period to make it 3-1, and then set up the next goal when he moved in on Andersen and bounced it off the post. As the puck fluttered in the air over the sprawled goalie, Kuraly came in trailing the play and knocked it into the net.
    Last edited by Happy Gilmore; 04-13-2018 at 07:00 AM.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Playoff game # 2

7 3

Pastrnak has 3 goals, 3 assists; Bruins beat Maple Leafs 7-3

BOSTON -- David Pastrnak's first goal required a 180-degree spin as he settled down a bouncing puck, shifted it from his forehand to his backhand and flipped it into the net.

By the time he scored his second he had already added three assists.

And when the Bruins forward completed the hat trick , faking out a second goalie with a forehand deke before sliding the puck between his legs, it was just one more chance for the Boston fans to celebrate his playoff coming-out party.

"Six points in a Stanley Cup playoff game with a hat trick," coach Bruce Cassidy said Saturday night after the Bruins beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 7-3 to take a 2-0 lead in their best-of-seven, first-round series. "That's special."

Pastrnak shattered his previous career high of four points, scoring his third goal with 1:36 left to bring two trash cans full of caps and winter hats fluttering down to the ice. Only Wayne Gretzky (three times), Mario Lemieux and Patrick Sundstrom have recorded more than six points in an NHL playoff game.

"A lot of people in Boston already know how good he is," linemate Patrice Bergeron said. "I think people on the outside are getting to know."

Bergeron and Brad Marchand had four assists apiece, Torey Krug had three, and Tuukka Rask stopped 30 shots for Boston. David Krejci, Rick Nash, Jake DeBrusk and Kevan Miller also scored -- the second straight game the Bruins had five different players with goals.

"It's not going to happen every night," Cassidy said. "At the end of the day, our guys do believe -- from one to 12, I do believe our guys believe they can score."

Two nights after Frederik Andersen allowed five goals in the series opener, he gave up three more on five shots in the first 12:13 before he was replaced by backup Curtis McElhinney. The Bruins added another power-play goal -- their second of the night and fifth of the series -- to make it 4-0 after one.

Mitch Marner, Tyler Bozak and James Van Riemsdyk scored for the Maple Leafs, who never got closer than three goals down after that. McElhinney stopped 19 of the 23 shots he faced.

The series moves to Toronto for Games 3 and 4 on Monday and Thursday. Game 5 would be back in Boston on Saturday, if necessary.

It doesn't look like it will be.

"Look, we were outplayed for two games, certainly," Maple Leafs defenseman Ron Hainsey said. "We deserve every bit of criticism far and wide. Good news is: (the) story's not totally written yet. ... We can try to change the story come Monday night."

Already struggling on offense, Toronto lost No. 4 scorer Nazem Kadri for three games when he was suspended by the NHL for boarding Tommy Wingels in Game 1. Wingels, whose injury was not disclosed, skated in practice Saturday but did not play.

The Leafs could have used Kadri -- and a few other scorers like him.

Pastrnak gave Boston a 1-0 lead five minutes into the game when he corralled a bouncing puck in the slot with his back to the goalie, settled it down, spun around and backhanded it in. After DeBrusk made it 2-0 on the power play four minutes later, Miller bounced one in off the back of defenseman Nikita Zaitsev to give the Bruins a three-goal lead and chase Andersen.

Just 11 seconds after Hainsey was given a double-minor for roughing, Nash made it 4-0.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Playoffs Game # 3

2 4

Matthews, Marleau lead Maple Leafs past Bruins 4-2 in Game 3

TORONTO -- Embarrassed and desperate after getting steamrolled by the Bruins through the first two games at Boston, the Toronto Maple Leafs had a point to prove.

His name sitting comfortably at the top of that list, Auston Matthews responded in a big way.

Matthews scored the go-ahead goal in the second period to lead the Maple Leafs picked in a 4-2 victory Monday night, cutting the Bruins' lead in their Eastern Conference first-round series to 2-1.

Toronto was reeling in the wake of 5-1 and 7-3 losses on the road, but got back to using its speed at home.

"I don't think any of us felt we played how we're capable," Matthews said. "Tonight definitely was a statement game."

Matthews was fiery after Saturday's blowout, responding to a question about how Boston's top line of David Pastrnak, Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron could have 20 points in two games compared to his trio's goose egg with an expletive: "(It) happens."

The raw emotion that comes with being a young star came out a different way in this one after he took a feed from William Nylander down low at 5:13 of the second and fired a shot short-side on Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask to send the Air Canada Centre crowd into a frenzy.

"It just feels like an earthquake in your feet when you score, especially in playoffs," Matthews said. "It's definitely emotional."

Toronto coach Mike Babcock said he hopes the goal takes a weight off the 20-year-old's shoulders.

"When you're my age, social media doesn't really affect your life," Babcock said. "When you're his age it affects your life. You know what people are saying."

Patrick Marleau had two goals, James van Riemsdyk also scored, and Mitch Marner and Morgan Rielly added two assists each for the Maple Leafs. Frederik Andersen stopped 40 shots.

Toronto will look to even the series here in Game 4 on Thursday night.

Adam McQuaid and Zdeno Chara scored, Sean Kuraly had two assists and Tuukka Rask had 26 saves for the Bruins.

"First couple games we had a couple bounces go our way, tonight we didn't," Marchand said. "That's hockey."

Pastrnak (four goals, five assists), Marchand (one goal, five assists) and Bergeron (five assists) had their way with Toronto through the first two games, but the Leafs held Boston's big line at bay thanks in large part to Marner, Marleau and Tomas Plekanec.

"We stuck to our game plan," Marner said. "We got the puck in our hands quickly. We used our speed."

The Bruins' power play -5 for 10 in the first two games -- got its first opportunity early in the third only to see Pastrnak hit the post.

The Maple Leafs sealed it with 3:35 left when Marleau scored his second of the night on a 2-on-1 rush for his 70th career playoff goal.

"We were on it all game," Marleau said. "We had our legs, we were playing the right way."

Pulled after allowing three goals on five shots in the first period of Game 2, Andersen then robbed Pastrnak with a stellar diving stick save with Rask on the bench for an extra attacker with just over two minutes to go.

Trailing 1-0 after 20 minutes, Boston tied it at 3:06 of the second when McQuaid's shot from the point squeezed under Andersen's pad and dribbled in. The goal came moments after Andersen made a stellar glove save from his belly on David Krejci with Nash and Travis Dermott battling in the blue paint.

The Maple Leafs went back ahead 43 seconds later when Marner controlled a pass off the boards from Rielly before feeding Marleau in front.

The Bruins again responded when Chara ripped a shot off Andersen's mask and in from an impossible angle at 6:19.

Toronto's Kasperi Kapanen, who hit the post early his team's ugly 7-3 loss in Game 2, found iron again later in the period on a shot that beat Rask clean, but Matthews would make no mistake later in the period.

Boston was left fuming after center Riley Nash, who returned to the lineup after suffering an ear laceration on March 31, was ruled to have put the puck directly over the glass for a delay of game penalty with just over three minutes left in the first, even though replays suggested otherwise.

Toronto, which was 1 for 7 with the man advantage through the first two games, made the Bruins pay just 7 seconds later when van Riemsdyk scored his second goal of the series at 17:05 to give the Leafs their first lead of the series.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    [b]Playoffs Game # 4

3 1

Bruins beat Maple Leafs 3-1 in Game 4

TORONTO -- Facing an opponent missing arguably its best player in front of a raucous home crowd, the Toronto Maple Leafs felt pretty good heading into their Game 4 matchup with the Boston Bruins.

Less than three hours later, they had been pushed to the brink of playoff elimination.

Brad Marchand scored the go-ahead goal and Tuukka Rask made 31 saves as the Bruins defeated the Leafs 3-1 to grab a commanding 3-1 lead in their first-round series. Boston was minus No. 1 center Patrice Bergeron, who was a late scratch with an upper-body injury, but it didn't matter as the Bruins ground out a victory on a night where some of Toronto's young stars failed to produce on the big stage.

"We were set up pretty good," Leafs coach Mike Babcock lamented. "We didn't take advantage. That's on us."

Torey Krug and Jake DeBrusk had the other goals for the Bruins, who can clinch the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series at home in Game 5 on Saturday at Boston's TD Garden. David Pastrnak added two assists.

Tomas Plekanec scored the lone goal for the Leafs, who got 18 saves from Frederik Andersen.

"We gave them opportunities and they didn't miss," Leafs forward Mitch Marner said. "Now it's do or die."

Bergeron, part of a top line that combined for 20 points in the Bruins' two home victories to open the series, was a surprise late scratch. Riley Nash took his spot between Marchand and Pastrnak, and played well in the four-time Selke Trophy winner's absence earlier this season.

"It doesn't matter (if Bergeron's out)," Marchand said. "You play the same way."

Marchand snapped a 1-1 tie for Boston with 3:05 left in the second after the Bruins were called for icing. Leafs coach Mike Babcock put his top line, centered by Auston Matthews, out hoping to pounce on a tired group, but Nash won the draw to Adam McQuaid, whose clearing attempt up the boards skipped past Toronto defenseman Jake Gardiner. Pastrnak moved in on a 2-on-1 with Marchand, faking a shot to draw the overaggressive Nikita Zaitsev to him before feeding his linemate with a slick pass for a wide-open net.

The Leafs had a number of chances earlier in the period to go ahead, including Mitch Marner's breakaway off a stretch pass from Morgan Rielly that Rask turned aside with the blocker, but were unable to get one by Rask.

Boston then made it 3-1 at 4:17 of the third. David Krejci blocked Travis Dermott's shot and raced the other way on a 2-on-1 before finding DeBrusk, who beat a helpless Andersen after Roman Polak failed to block the pass across.

"We had a breakaway and a good 2-on-1, and we got nothing out of it," Babcock said. "Both their 2-on-1s ... they buried and we didn't make good plays on them to help our goalie out. In the end, that's the game."

The Bruins stunned the Maple Leafs just 28 second into the game to quiet an electric Air Canada Centre when Krug's snapshot from the sideboards found its way past Nash and Plekanec in front before glancing in off Andersen's shoulder.

"It's one I've got to fight to see," Anderson said.

Toronto eventually got going and tied it at 7:43 when Marner fed a pass from his knees that was helped on by Patrick Marleau to Plekanec, who scored his first goal since being acquired from Montreal before the trade deadline.

The Leafs kept coming and nearly grabbed the lead later in the period, but Rask shot out his pad to deny Zach Hyman from in close as Toronto outshot Boston 12-7 through the opening 20 minutes.

Asked how concerned he is that Matthews, who scored the winner Monday, has been mostly quiet, Babcock said some of his youngsters are learning hard playoff lessons.

"I'm assuming he thought he would come tonight and dominate the game -- that's what I thought," the coach said. "I thought the same with (William Nylander). That didn't happen, but the other people you're playing against are pros and they're trying, too, and they're competitive. There's regular-season competitiveness and there's Stanley Cup playoff competitiveness, and it keeps amping up.

"When you leave here tonight as an individual, as a coach, as a player, you've got time to evaluate ... and most guys are pretty honest."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Playoffs Game # 5

Maple Leafs beat Bruins 4-3, avoid elimination in Game 5

BOSTON -- The Toronto Maple Leafs opened another 4-1 lead in Boston, and this time they held on.

Just barely.

Five years after blowing a three-goal lead in a playoff elimination game against the Bruins, Toronto killed off a 5-on-3 and three more penalties to beat the Bruins 4-3 in Game 5 on Saturday night and force the series to a sixth game.

"That was a little bit nerve-wracking," said Toronto forward Nazem Kadri, who returned from a three-game suspension and had an assist. "But we were able to weather the storm. Playoff games on the road, sometimes you just have to survive."

Connor Brown and Andreas Johnsson each scored his first career playoff goal in the first period, and Tyler Bozak and James van Riemsdyk scored 1:19 apart in the second to make it 4-1 and chase Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask.

Boston cut the deficit to one goal, but the Leafs survived despite a parade of penalties that left four men in the box at one point.

"When you're down a man six times -- and it was six times -- it's ridiculous," Toronto coach Mike Babcock said.

Frederik Andersen stopped 42 shots for Toronto, which returns home for Game 6 on Monday. Game 7 would be back in Boston on Wednesday, if necessary.

When the teams last met in the playoffs in 2013, Toronto twice won to stave off elimination and force the series to a seventh game. Once there, the Maple Leafs took a 4-1 into the third period before the Bruins won in overtime en route to their second Stanley Cup final berth in two years.

"That's in the past," Kadri said. "I think it's time we turn the page on that one."

Jake DeBrusk and Sean Kuraly scored for the Bruins. After missing one game with an undisclosed injury, Selke Trophy finalist Patrice Bergeron returned to the ice but not to the scoresheet; his line, which had 20 points in the first two games, was held without a goal or assist.

"He made it through today's game healthy," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We always want to see how they are in the morning. I don't anticipate there being any issues going into Game 6."

Rask was pulled after allowing four goals on 13 shots before skipping off to the locker room when he was pulled with 8:05 left in the second.

"Probably could have stopped more pucks with my eyes closed," he said. "It's on me, but moving on to the next one and try to finish it off in Toronto."

Anton Khudobin, making his first career playoff appearance, stopped all eight shots he saw the rest of the way.

"I didn't think he (Rask) had it tonight. So we went with Anton, who's been very good for us," Cassidy said. "And then there's always that part that gets the rest of the team's attention."

Toronto lost the first two games of the best-of-seven series in Boston by a combined score of 12-4, then won the third game at home before dropping the fourth to fall to the brink of elimination.

Leading 4-1 midway through second on Saturday, the Maple Leafs gave Boston four straight power plays but killed each one off. Kuraly made it a two-goal game with about three minutes left in the second and Noel Acciari made it 4-3 six minutes into the third.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 7

Bruins eliminate Maple Leafs with wild Game 7 win

The Canadian Press

BOSTON — Jake Debrusk scored his second goal of the game on a great individual effort in the third period as the Boston Bruins stormed back to defeat the Toronto Maple Leafs 7-4 on Wednesday in Game 7 to advance to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Boston, which led the series 3-1 before Toronto mounted a comeback to push the series to its limit, will take on the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Eastern Conference semifinal.

Game 1 of that series goes Saturday in Tampa, Fla.

, with a goal and two assists, , , and also scored for the Bruins. had three assists, while added two of his own.

made 20 stops. Pastrnak and Marchand had an assist each for a two-point night.

, with two, and replied for the Leafs. stopped 29 of 35 shots, with Marchand's goal going into an empty net. added two assists.

Toronto forced Game 7 after falling behind 3-1 in the series with a 4-3 victory in Game 5 where Andersen stood on his head with a 42-save performance at TD Garden before picking up 3-1 win on home ice in Game 6.

The Leafs also trailed the Bruins 3-1 the last time the clubs met in the playoffs in 2013 before coming back to tie the series. Toronto then earned the dubious distinction of becoming the first team in NHL history to blow a three-goal lead in the third period of a Game 7 as Boston stormed back from a 4-1 deficit before winning 5-4 in overtime.

The collapse wasn't quite as bad on this night, but it hurt just the same.

The visitors led 4-3 through two periods only to see Boston tie it 70 seconds into the third when Krug blasted a shot from the point past Andersen with the teams playing 4 on 4.

The Bruins then pulled in front at 5:25 with both teams again playing down a man when he cut around off the rush and slipped a shot through Andersen's five-hole at an electric TD Garden.

Pastrnak then put it away with 8:21 to play when he beat Andersen after Marchand won a battle behind the Toronto net. Marchand added his goal with 51 seconds left in the third.

Down 3-2 following a wild first period where they led twice, the Leafs tied things at 2:07 of the second when Dermott ripped a shot past Rask for the rookie's first playoff goal.

The Bruins then went on the power play, with Andersen robbing Krug on a spectacular save from the slot to set up Kapanen shorthanded. The rookie winger, who failed to connect on a number of chances earlier in the series, fought off Marchand before moving in alone on Rask and beating the Bruins netminder with a slick forehand-backhand move at 6:05.

Marleau opened the scoring on the power play at 2:05 of the first when he tipped Gardiner's point shot past Rask, but DeBrusk tied it on a Boston man advantage just 2:42 later when he redirected Pasternak's effort from the high slot.

Marleau restored Toronto's lead at 6:12 by roofing one on Rask, who allowed four goals on 13 shots in Game 5 before getting pulled, off a great pass from Mitch Marner.

But the Bruins came back once again when Heinen corralled a loose puck in front a beat Andersen at 9:10 to cap stretch of four goals on 11 combined shots.

The Leafs lost later in the period after he took a shot from the point in the mouth while battling in front. The bleeding Toronto defenceman missed the rest of the period, but returned for the second.

Marner and had a couple of chances to restore the Leafs' lead in the frenetic opening 20 minutes, but the Bruins when ahead with 36.4 seconds left when Miller shot intentionally wide right to Bergeron, who buried his first point since Game 2.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Lightning eliminate Bruins with 3-1 win in Game 5

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Lightning, with a primary assist from a team that handled them during the regular season, are back in the Eastern Conference final for the third time in four years.

Thank you, Boston Bruins.

"I guess I can say it now. Boston set the bar for us, and we played them three times late in the year," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said after his team's 3-1 victory over the Bruins ended their second-round playoff series in five games.

"The first two times we played them, they literally manhandled us. ... and we knew if we were going to go anywhere when we made the playoffs, or if we made the playoffs, that we had to be as good as Boston," Cooper added.

"We beat them 4-0 (in the last meeting). I think that gave us a little hit of confidence. I guess a lot of confidence. ... and, ultimately we carried that through into this playoff round."

Brayden Point and J.T. Miller scored second-period goals and Anton Stralman added an empty-netter with 1:29 remaining to end any chance for a Boston comeback.

Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped 27 shots -- 14 in the final period -- for the Lightning, who rebounded from losing the series opener at home to eliminate the Bruins in five games.

Boston won three of the four games between the teams during the regular season, finishing one point behind Tampa Bay for the Atlantic Division title and the No. 1 seed in the East.

The Bruins outlasted Toronto in seven games in the opening round of the playoffs. They scored six goals to beat the Lightning in Game 1, but had difficulty scoring after that.

Over the last three games, Boston failed to score an even-strength goal.

"You've got to give them credit. We're a team that scored all year long with different players in and out of the lineup," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said.

"We scored against Toronto, so it's not like after 89 games we forgot how to score or not play the right way," Cassidy added. "I think their D corps is big and they move the puck. They did a good job of not allowing us to get inside."

David Krejci scored on the power play in the final minute of the first period to give Boston a 1-0 lead that Point erased with his unassisted goal at 10:43 of the second.

Miller's power-play goal broke the tie less than four minutes later, and Stralman added an empty-netter with 1:29 remaining.

"They're a really good team. They have been all year," Bruins winger Brad Marchand said. "They compete extremely hard, they have a lot of speed. They were better than we were in a lot of areas, one of them being puck battles and their pursuit. It showed up in the end."

One day after being put "on notice" by the NHL for licking Lightning forward Ryan Callahan during Friday night's overtime loss in Game 4, there were no more such incidents involving Marchand, who also made headlines after appearing to lick Toronto's Leo Komarov in the first round.

Marchand was given an edict Saturday to stop licking opponents or subject himself to a possible fine or suspension for future incidents.

Cassidy said before the game that he had spoken with Marchand, delivering a simple, straight-forward message: "We need you on the ice, we need you playing. If part of his M.O. is to annoy people, find a different way to annoy them. Preferably by scoring some goals, that would be the best way."

Afterward, Marchand shrugged off a question about his discussion the previous day with NHL senior vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell.

"It is what it is," Marchand said. "I think it's pretty stupid, the whole situation, but if that's what they want to do, it's what they want to do."

The Lightning once again did a good job of containing Boston's top line of Patrice Bergeron, David Pastrnak and Marchand. Although the trio combined for 23 points in the series (seven goals, 16 assists), about half that production (11 points) came in the Bruins' 6-2 win in Game 1.

Bergeron and Charlie McAvoy assisted on Krejci's goal, but Vasilevskiy came up big against the high-scoring line with four huge saves -- one on Bergeron's point-blank shot -- in the closing minutes while Tampa Bay was killing off Boston's last power-play opportunity.

The Bruins scored five goals over the final three games of the series, four of them on the power play and one short-handed.

"You can't rely on special teams every night to win games," Marchand said. "They help for sure, but you have to be able to produce 5-on-5."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234