Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boston Bruins 2017/18 Season

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 50

3 2

Bruins beat Red Wings 3-2, close in on NHL-best Tampa Bay

DETROIT -- The Boston Bruins' formula looks almost foolproof at the moment: Rask and the rookies.

Tuukka Rask made 26 saves, and rookies Sean Kuraly and Danton Heinen scored for Boston in a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night. David Krejci also scored for the Bruins, who are 17-1-4 in their last 22 games and only three points behind NHL-leading Tampa Bay in the Atlantic Division.

Boston won without forward Brad Marchand, who served the final game of his five-game suspension for elbowing New Jersey's Marcus Johansson.

"We were joking about it after the game -- we're not sure Marchie is a lock to get back into this lineup," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "Frank (Vetrano) had a lower-body injury, and we'll have to see how he is tomorrow, but it is tough to break up this group."

The Bruins have an NHL-high 38 goals by rookies this season. Rask, meanwhile, improved to 19-0-2 in his last 21 games. Detroit had only 12 shots through two periods before adding 16 in the third.

"We're not going to skill our way to wins," Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill said. "We have to outwork the other team every night, and we've just got to decide that we're going to be special that way."

Martin Frk scored a power-play goal in the second for Detroit, but the Bruins quickly wiped out that lead later in the period with goals by Kuraly and Krejci. Heinen scored with 11:39 remaining in the third to put Boston up by two.

With their goalie pulled, the Red Wings moved within one when Frans Nielsen scored with 1:24 to play, but Boston held on.

"We've known all year that we have a great team if we just focus on what we're supposed to be doing," Rask said. "We aren't worried about other teams, and we're getting off to better starts, but even if we get a goal behind like we did today, we know that we can still win the game if we play our game."

Frk opened the scoring when he beat Rask from the left circle, and Darren Helm whiffed on a rebound later in the second, missing a chance to double Detroit's lead. Kuraly equalized with 7:49 remaining in the period.

Just more than two minutes later, after a scramble in front, the puck popped out to Krejci in the slot. With goalie Jimmy Howard out of position, Krejci scored his 10th goal of the season.

Heinen beat Howard high to the blocker side for his 12th goal . Nielsen made it 3-2 when he put a rebound past Rask.

Nielsen had another chance in the final minute when the puck bounced to his feet right in front of the net, but he wasn't able to get his stick on it cleanly.

"I just fanned on it," Nielsen said. "I know it was bouncing right there. I think it went down on the heel or something."
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 51

6 1

Bruins rout Rangers 6-1 for 18th win in 23 games

NEW YORK -- The Boston Bruins have been winning every conceivable way recently. Against the sagging New York Rangers, they used stellar goaltending early and six straight goals to do the job.

Riley Nash and Zdeno Chara scored first-period goals and Patrice Bergeron added two in the second to help the surging Bruins swamp the Rangers 6-1 on Wednesday night.

The Bruins won for the 18th time in their last 23 games, getting 21 saves from backup netminder Anton Khudobin. The Bruins (33-11-8) are just a point behind Atlantic Division-leading Tampa Bay.

"In the first period, our goaltender was terrific," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "He was the difference tonight. We got a lead going into the second and once that happened, our group thought we would be in good shape."

Tim Schaller's goal that made it 4-1 at 7:25 of the second period chased Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist and brought boos from the crowd at Madison Square Garden. Lundqvist was replaced by Ondrej Pavelec.

"After they scored two in the first, instead of staying aggressive the way I need to be, I became passive," said Lundqvist, who hasn't won since Jan. 18. "When you lose a lot, obviously it's going to affect you."

The Rangers had won seven straight over the Bruins, including both meetings this season. But New York was no match for the Boston attack on Wednesday.

After Rick Nash gave the Rangers an early lead with his 16th goal five minutes into the first period, the Bruins began their relentless barrage. Riley Nash tied it with his eighth of the season at 7:54 with assists to David Backes and Danton Heinen.

Lundqvist initially stopped a shot by Backes. But the Bruins forward recovered his rebound, then sent the puck in front to Nash as Rangers defenseman Tony DeAngelo was caught out of position.

Chara, the 40-year-old defenseman playing his 20th NHL season, put Boston ahead at 16:09 of the first with his fifth goal of the season and the 193rd of his career.

"We were talking we wanted to keep making strong plays and play well defensively," Chara said. "Anton made some really good saves for us and we got ahead."

The Bruins extended the lead to 3-1 at 3:47 of the second when Bergeron's long shot from just inside the blue line skittered past Lundqvist after the goaltender seemed to make a pad save.

Schaller extended the lead with his eighth of the season before Bergeron scored his second of the game -- this time short-handed -- at the 10-minute mark. The goal was Bergeron's team-leading 24th and came with assists to Chara and Brad Marchand, who returned after serving a five-game suspension for elbowing New Jersey's Marcus Johansson.

"Every line is stepping up for us," Marchand said. "It makes us hard to play against."

Sean Kuraly completed the scoring with his fifth goal at 6:14 of the third.

Boston is 18-1-4 in their last 23 games and 27-4-4 in its last 35 contests. The Bruins are 10-0-2 in their last 12 road games. They last lost an away game in regulation on Dec. 4 at Nashville.

"We want to play up to a certain standard and not worry about what the other team does," Chara added. "We just want to focus on us."

The spiraling Rangers have lost four straight and seven of their last eight games. They are 3-10-0 since winning at Arizona on Jan. 6. The Rangers last missed the playoffs in 2010.

"There's no doubt they made us look very bad tonight," Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said. "There's no doubt that in the second period after that third and fourth goal, we fell hard."

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 52

2 4

Wilson helps Sabres cool off Rask, Bruins in 4-2 victory

BOSTON -- Buffalo star Jack Eichel went down with an injury and his teammates responded with one of their best performances of the season.

Scott Wilson had a goal and an assist during Buffalo's big second period, helping the Sabres cool off Tuukka Rask and the Boston Bruins with a 4-2 victory on Saturday night.

"I thought the guys made a terrific effort tonight," Buffalo coach Phil Housley said. "One of the best games I've seen us check."

Eichel left midway through the opening period, favoring his right knee after falling awkwardly on a check by Boston defenseman Matt Grzelcyk along the boards behind the Bruins' net.

"He got tangled up in the corner," Housley said. "We'll know tomorrow when he sees our doctors."

Evander Kane and Benoit Pouliot also scored during the second and Rasmus Ristolainen added an empty-netter with 29 seconds remaining. Former Bruins goalie Chad Johnson made 25 saves as the Sabres picked up the road win with their fathers along for the trip.

"To see Jack go down like that, that's a big hole to fill," Pouliot said. "(The win) feels good for the dads and for everyone."

The Sabres had lost four of five and entered with the NHL's second-fewest points.

Rask stopped 24 shots, but lost in regulation for the first time since Nov. 26. It snapped his career-best 21-game streak with at least a point (19-0-2), the fourth-longest in team history.

The Bruins were bothered by their subpar effort.

"I think it was pretty obvious that wasn't our best game -- the way we want to play -- but those games happen," Rask said.

Boston center Patrice Bergeron agreed they had a poor effort from the start.

"We were flat," Bergeron said. "When you do that, you don't deserve it -- plain and simple."

Ryan Spooner and David Backes accounted for Boston's goals. The Bruins failed to get a point for just the second time in 24 games (18-2-4).

Backes scored with 59 seconds left after Rask was replaced by an extra skater. But Ristolainen fired one nearly the length of the ice for his fifth of the season.

Kane made it 1-0 when he broke in on a clean breakaway after Bruins forward David Pastrnak flubbed a pass near the right point and Sam Reinhart passed the puck to the winger. Kane fired a hard wrist shot that beat Rask on the glove side inside the right post 7:44 into the second.

Wilson made it 2-0 just over five minutes later when he collected a loose puck that was blocked by Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid and slipped a wrist shot into the net.

Spooner's goal sliced the lead in half before Pouliot one-timed Wilson's pass by Rask at the end of a 3-on-1 break with 71 seconds left in the second.

Rask made a pair of nice pad stops in a relatively quiet opening period. Boston's first shot on goal by a forward came in the final minute.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    [b]Game # 53[/]

5 3

McQuaid's first goal gives Bruins win over Devils

NEWARK, N.J. -- Even when they don't play their best, the Boston Bruins are still getting it done on the road.

Adam McQuaid got his first goal of the season with 8:05 to play, and the Bruins extended their road point-scoring streak to 13 games with a 5-3 victory over the slumping New Jersey Devils on Sunday night.

"We're trying to dictate the play early," said Boston defenseman Torey Krug, who scored twice. "Don't let the other team use their home-ice advantage, just make sure we're skating and going and have them react to us. I think every game we've given ourselves a chance to win the game going into the third period. We were ugly the first two, but got the job done in the third."

Boston is 11-0-2 in its current road run and 16-5-4 away from TD Garden overall.

Tim Schaller also scored a goal that the Devils were not convinced crossed the goal line despite a review, and Patrice Bergeron added an empty-netter as the Bruins improved to 19-2-4 in their last 25 games. Boston also killed off all seven New Jersey power plays, scored an extra-man goal and got two short-handed in sweeping the three-game season series.

"We're getting production up and down the lineup," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "If they shut down our top guys then someone else contributes. That's a hallmark of our group, they like to pick each other up and know they don't have to be the best player every night."

Backup goalie Anton Khudobin stopped a first-period penalty shot and finished with 35 saves as Boston avoided consecutive losses in regulation for what would have been the third time this season.

Miles Wood, Taylor Hall and Kyle Palmieri scored for the Devils, who have lost four straight and eight of 11. Eddie Lack, who was acquired in a trade with Calgary in late December, made 22 saves in his first start for New Jersey.

"Our power play was the difference tonight," Hall said. "They got one and we gave up a couple on the other end. Like I said, it was one of those nights. We were trying. The effort was there, 5 on 5, I thought we had them for sure. Our power play could not execute."

McQuaid, who returned to the lineup on Jan. 17 after missing 36 games with a broken right leg, snapped a 3-all tie with a shot from the right point that deflected off the stick of Devils forward Drew Stafford and bounced past Lack.

"He battles so hard for us, does little things, blocks shots, and make hits," Krug said of McQuaid. "For him to get that one and play with confidence was great. It's nice to see him get rewarded."

It was the first game between the teams since Brad Marchand was suspended for five games for elbowing New Jersey's Marcus Johansson in the head in Boston on Jan. 23. Marchand was booed every time he touched the puck.

There was a scrum after Bergeron scored with 39 seconds to play. Marchand was knocked down by Damon Severson before the goal.

Boston took leads of 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 in the first two periods. The Devils responded every time, with Palmieri tying it at 3 by beating Khudobin in close after taking a nice pass from Hall.

The Bruins' first two goals were a little bizarre. Krug got his first when Nico Hischier tried to clear a puck in the crease and slid it under Lack, who was playing in his sixth NHL game this season.

Wood came out of the penalty box and tied the game with a breakaway goal at 16:32, but Schaller got the lead back for Boston with a stuff at the corner of the net with three seconds left after Hall could not handle a Lack pass.

Hall made up for the mistake 31 seconds into the second period after Hischier intercepted a Marchand pass.

Krug got his 10th of the season with a point shot three seconds after Stafford was called for elbowing.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 54

5 2

Bergeron, Nash leads Bruins past Flames 5-2

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins made up for a slow start with an impressive finish.

Patrice Bergeron played a key role.

Bergeron score two of Boston's three goals in the third period, and the Bruins pulled away from the Calgary Flames for a 5-2 win on Tuesday night.

Boston held Calgary to 17 shots in the last 40 minutes and scored four straight goals after falling behind 2-1.

"We played much more to our style of play, how we want to wear teams down and eventually get our looks," coach Bruce Cassidy said.

"That's essentially what we asked our group to be after the first period. Let's just play hard, get back to competing hard and winning pucks, getting there first. If you're not getting there first, arrive ornery and I thought we did a good job."

Riley Nash also scored twice and David Backes had two assists for the Bruins, who won for the sixth time in seven games. Zdeno Chara had an empty-net goal and Tuukka Rask stopped 27 shots.

"I thought the last 40 minutes were the way we want to play," Bergeron said. "That's heavy team that's got a lot of skills. It's going to happen. You're not going to dominate and be at your best all the time."

Calgary had won four of five. Sam Bennett and Johnny Gaudreau scored for the Flames, and David Rittich had 35 saves.

Down 4-2, the Flames gambled by pulling Rittich for an extra skater and Chara made them play with an end-to-end shot with 3:46 left to play.

After coming up empty on five power-play opportunities, the Flames felt they cost themselves a chance at a point or two in the fifth of six straight on the road.

"We've just got to better obviously on special teams," said Flames captain Mark Giordano, who assisted on Gaudreau's goal. "We had our looks on the power play. We had some good kills early but at the end of the day not good enough."

The Flames wrap up the long trip Thursday at Nashville.

Boston jumped in front on Nash's ninth goal just 28 seconds into the game, but Bennett got his eighth of the season at 2:03 and Gaudreau stuffed in a rebound at 9:12 to put Calgary up 2-1.

Nash tied it with 3:40 left in the second, and Boston regained the lead 1:15 into the third period when Bergeron scored on the power play. Bergeron took a long pass through center ice from Torey Krug and beat Rittich with a wrist shot to the stick side.

It was the 26th goal of the season for Bergeron, who added No. 27 at 9:19 when he tipped in a shot from Brad Marchand after blocking a shot in Boston's own zone and starting the Bruins on an odd-man rush the other way.

"You always try to take care of the D-zone first and then you can think offense," Bergeron said. "Obviously after that we were able to sustain some pressure and eventually get the goal."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 55

1 6

Eriksson, Nilsson lead Canucks past Bruins, 6-1

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Anders Nilsson finally had his hard work rewarded with a victory.

Loui Eriksson scored his second goal of the night late in the third period and Nilsson stopped 44 shots to pick up his first win in 2 1/2 months as the Vancouver Canucks beat the Boston Bruins 6-1 Saturday night.

Nilsson was 0-7-0 in his last 11 appearances, including nine starts, since beating Nashville on Nov. 30.

"I feel like I'm getting back to my game a little bit," the 27-year-old Swede said. "Even though the results haven't been going my way, or the team's way, I'm feeling like my game has slowly been getting back to the way it should be and the way when I play my best.

"It feels great to be able to contribute to two points."

Nilsson started the season strong with four wins in his first five starts, including shutouts over Ottawa and Minnesota. Since December, however, he has struggled. His win against the Bruins improved his record to 7-10-1.

Jacob Markstrom was scheduled to start against the Bruins after Nilsson played in a 4-1 loss to San Jose on Thursday night. Nilsson learned after the morning skate that Markstrom was sick and he'd be starting instead.

"It was plenty of time to get prepared," he said. "I still had the whole day. I just prepared the way I normally do."

Daniel Sedin, Sven Baertschi, Nic Dowd and Bo Horvat also scored for Vancouver, which scored four goals in the first to take control. It gave the Canucks just their second win in eight games.

Vancouver was outshot 45-23 but got some timely saves from Nilsson.

Tim Schaller scored in the third period for the Bruins, who lost in regulation for just the third time in 27 games. Tuukka Rask started and gave up four goals on eight shots in the first period. Anton Khudobin came on to start the second and finished with 13 saves.

"I look at the goals and they got there," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "They wanted to get there, and we didn't prevent them from getting there.

"We got sloppy at times and we paid the price."

Nilsson made a couple of big saves early, including getting a pad on Danton Heinen's shot off a rebound during a first-period Boston power play. In the third, he robbed Schaller and Sean Kuraly on back-to-back plays.

Nilsson also got a little lucky as the Bruins hit three posts in the first 20 minutes.

"We played a pretty good game, but we have to be honest, we got some bounces," Nilsson said. "It was nice to see us get an early lead and maybe control the game.

The Canucks were outshot 18-9 in the first period but led 4-0.

Eriksson opened the scoring two minutes into the game. Rask gave up a big rebound off Alex Edler's shot, and Sedin took a swipe at the puck before it rolled to Eriksson, who whacked it into the net.

The Canucks went ahead 2-0 at 10:54 on a pretty play from Thomas Vanek. He skated down the middle the ice then feathered a pass through the legs of Bruins defenseman Brandon Carlo to Sedin, who was alone at the side of the net.

Horvat made it 3-0 just 56 seconds later as he took a pass from Troy Stecher, skated around defenseman Charlie McAvoy, and put a shot over Rask's glove. Nilsson earned an assist on the goal.

The Canucks made it 4-0 on a strange play. Rask stopped a shot from Baertschi and Boston's Noel Acciari tried to clear the rebound, but the puck hit Kuraly's stick and went into the net.

"We hung our goalies out to dry," the Bruins' David Backes said. "Then you are climbing uphill the rest of the games."

Dowd scored the only goal of the second period to make it 5-0. Jake Virtanen cut across the front of the net and took a shot that Khudobin stopped but Dowd put in the rebound for his second at 2:44.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 56

2 1 OT

Marchand scores in overtime, Bruins beat Flames 2-1

CALGARY, Alberta -- After a blip in Vancouver, the Boston Bruins got right back to business.

Brad Marchand scored his 22nd goal 3:36 into overtime to give Boston a 2-1 victory over the Calgary Flames on Monday, less than 48 hours after the Bruins lost 6-1 to the Canucks.

"We ran into a hot goalie in Vancouver. Their goalie played great tonight, but we were resilient," Marchand said. "We were much better in the defensive zone and had a better game overall."

David Pastrnak also scored for Boston (36-13-8), which moved within one point of Tampa Bay for first place in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference. The Bruins, who are 12-1-2 in their last 15 road games, have two games in hand on the Lightning.

Boston has lost only three times in regulation in the last 28 games (21-3-4).

"It starts at the top with leadership, and just having that constant belief we can do it, we can get the job done regardless of who we're playing against," Riley Nash said.

After TJ Brodie's turnover deep in the Flames end, Nash's pass sprung Marchand on a breakaway and he made no mistake, slipping the puck through the pads of rookie goaltender David Rittich for the ninth overtime goal of his career.

"(Nash) made a phenomenal defensive play," Marchand said. "I knew that they had three guys low and I just tried to get out of the zone. He made a great play to get it up."

Brodie accepted the blame.

"Tonight was on me," the Calgary defenseman said. "I tried to pass to Johnny (Gaudreau). I could have passed it to (Sean Monahan), I could have shot it. It's one of those things that looking back now, I definitely could have done something different."

Matthew Tkachuk scored for the Flames (30-21-9), who fell to 1-3-4 in their last eight home games. They began the day one point out of third place in the Pacific Division.

"It's like any slump -- the harder you try, the more you grip the stick, the worse it is," Brodie said. "It's not like we've been playing bad at home. We've gotten chances. It's just one of those things where a bounce here and there, we could be talking about the same record as the road."

With the teams meeting for the second time in six days, Calgary was territorially outplayed by a wide margin in the first period but Rittich kept the Flames in it.

Calgary tied it 1-all at 5:28 of the second, scoring on the power play. Monahan's shot was stopped by Tuukka Rask, but as the puck lied at the feet of Zdeno Chara in the crease, Tkachuk knocked in his 22nd goal.

Rittich was starting his fourth game in a row, with veteran Mike Smith (lower body) still sidelined. Rittich was pulled Saturday night after giving up four goals on 15 shots.

"Huge bounce-back for Rittich," Flames coach Glen Gulutzan said. "That team is a hard team to beat. You look across the league, not many teams are beating them. You can't really beat them without goaltending and we got it tonight and it gave us a chance."

The 25-year-old Czech goalie was especially sharp in keeping the score even at 1.

A minute after Calgary tied it, Rittich slid across the crease to get a glove on Marchand's backhand out of midair after he was set up by Patrice Bergeron.

Late in the second, Rittich stabbed out his glove to rob Ryan Spooner on a breakaway. In the third, the goalie stared down Pastrnak on a breakaway and acrobatically got the toe of his left pad on a dangerous chance.

Rittich finished with 30 stops but fell to 6-3-3.

"It's frustrating," said Tkachuk, who has 14 goals in his last 22 games. "They're a really good team. Didn't give us many chances at all. The ones that we did get, we've got to capitalize."

Rask also was coming off a shortened outing in his previous start, pulled after giving up four goals on eight shots in the first period against Vancouver.

This time, he made 28 saves to improve to 24-10-4.

Boston struck first at 5:59 when Michael Frolik coughed up the puck along the sideboards in his own end and Pastrnak pounced on it, quickly firing a shot past Rittich on his blocker side.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 57

3 2

Krejci snaps tie late in 3rd, Bruins rally past Oilers 3-2

EDMONTON, Alberta -- Patience paid off for the Boston Bruins on Tuesday night.

David Krejci broke a tie with 1:04 remaining and Boston rallied for a 3-2 victory over the Edmonton Oilers.

Noel Acciari and Matt Grzelcyk also scored for the Bruins (37-13-8), who have won seven of nine and are one point back of NHL-leading Tampa Bay in the Atlantic Division. Boston trailed 2-0 before scoring three times in the third period.

"We have a will to win," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "There are 82 of these and sometimes you just don't have it, but I think our group is pretty good at pushing right to the end. It would have been easy for us to say it was our third game in four nights and we were playing back-to-back games, and maybe it is not our night after the frustration early on of not being able to finish and (Oilers goalie Cam Talbot) being really good, but we stuck with it."

Bruins goalie Anton Khudobin agreed the key was staying positive after falling behind a team they felt they were outplaying.

"If you are thinking things aren't going your way, then they are never going to go your way," he said. "You have to keep positive, keep playing and shooting and you are going to get rewarded. We were rewarded tonight."

Ryan Strome and Jujhar Khaira had the goals for the Oilers (24-31-4), who have lost seven of eight.

"At the end of the day, you're here for wins and losses and it's tough to take moral victories out of the game," Strome said. "We know the position we're in and that's a disappointing result after 40 good minutes."

The Oilers scored the game's first goal with 1:31 left in the opening period -- despite being outshot 13-2 to that point -- when Strome beat Khudobin on a 2-on-1 break for his ninth of the season.

The Bruins came close five minutes into the second when David Pastrnak's shot clanged off the post behind Talbot, but instead the Oilers extended their lead just more than six minutes later when a knuckler by Khaira beat Khudobin up high.

The shots favored the Bruins 29-14 through 40 minutes.

Boston got on the board 4:37 into the third when Acciari swung a puck in front of the Edmonton net and it bounced off Strome and in to make it 2-1.

The Bruins tied it with eight minutes to play after a flurry in front led to Grzelcyk putting the puck past a diving Talbot.

Boston completed the comeback with just 64 seconds to play in the third, after the Oilers lost control of the puck in their own end. Danton Heinen sent it out in front, allowing Krejci to score his 11th of the season.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 58

3 4

Maple Leafs beat Bruins 4-3 for 9th straight home win

TORONTO -- Mitch Marner stepped up with Auston Matthews sidelined by a shoulder injury.

Marner had a goal and three assists, the last on Ron Hainsey's winner with 1:23 remaining, and the Toronto Maple Leafs beat Boston 4-3 on Saturday night to match the franchise record of nine straight home wins.

"I think everyone in this room wants to step up," Marner said. "We talked about how big a role (Matthews) is on this team, but we can't sit back and relax, we've got to make sure we put our foot on the pedal and work hard and do more just to fill that void. I'm just trying to help out more down low and trying to bring on, I think, a bigger role."

Matthews was hurt Thursday night in a victory over the New York Islanders.

Hainsey's one-timed William Nylander's pass past goalie Tuuka Rask for his fourth goal of the season.

"Just trying to get it by the guy in front (of me) from the blue line," Hainsey said. "Nice job by (Nylander) coming around the net and (Zach Hyman) down there. "A lot of traffic down there, both teams sending guys to the net so you're just hoping to get it through."

Toronto moved a point ahead of Boston for the second seed in the Atlantic Division.

"What happened was they were a lot better than us," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said about the second period. "We came out of it tied, but they were clearly the better team."

Nazem Kadri scored twice, Mitch Marner had a goal and three assists, and Nylander had two assists. Frederik Andersen made 23 saves to improve to 10-1-0 against the Bruins.

Brad Marchand scored twice, and Jake DeBrusk also connected for Boston. Rask made 32 saves.

Marchand opened the scoring, taking a pass and beating Andersen glove-side at 6:11 of the first. Toronto responded just over a minute later when Marner took a Nylander's feed and beat a sprawling Rask for his 16th at 7:15.

Kadri gave the Maple Leafs a 2-1 lead on a power play, tapping in James van Riemsdyk's pass at 10:30 for his 22nd of the season.

Boston tied it 2-2 on Marchand's second of the period. Marchand beat Andersen from close range for his 23rd of the season.

DeBrusk gave the Bruins a 3-2 lead at 1:55 of the second, re-directing Ryan Spooner's pass over Andersen for his 12th.

With Charlie McAvoy serving a tripping minor, Kadri one-timed Marner's pass over Rask's glove for his 23rd of the season with 55.9 seconds remaining in the second to tie it at 3.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 59

1 4

Sabres beat Bruins 4-1 in Rick Nash's debut for Boston

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Kyle Okposo and the Eastern Conference's last-place Buffalo Sabres head into the uncertainty of the NHL's trade deadline sure of one thing.

They were better than the retooled Bruins by beating them 4-1 to spoil forward Rick Nash's Boston debut.

What happens before the trade deadline hits Monday is anyone's guess with the Sabres anticipated to make several deals, including one involving forward Evander Kane.

"I've been through it before," Okposo said. "It's obviously hard to see teammates go. That comes with not having the season that we want. So we just kind of have to sit back and wait and see, and be professional."

Okposo and Benoit Pouliot scored on consecutive shots in the first period in a game the Sabres never trailed. Evan Rodrigues and Marco Scandella also scored, and Chad Johnson stopped 34 shots for the Sabres, who snapped an 0-5-2 home skid against the Bruins. Buffalo had not defeated Boston at home since a 5-4 overtime win Feb. 26, 2014.

The Bruins, coming off a 4-3 loss at Toronto a night earlier, started flat while closing a five-game road swing on a day that began with them acquiring Nash in a multiplayer trade with the New York Rangers. Boston gave up three players, including forward Ryan Spooner and prospect defenseman Ryan Lindgren, and two draft picks, including its first-round selection this year.

Patrice Bergeron refused to use the road trip or the trade as reasons for the Bruins losing consecutive games for the first time since going 0-1-1 on Dec. 14-16.

"There was only one new guy today," Bergeron said. "We should know the system. We should know where to be and it wasn't there."

Anton Khudobin was not sharp in goal. He allowed four goals on 24 shots, including being beaten through the legs on Scandella's goal from the right boards that put Buffalo up 4-1 in the opening minutes of the third period.

The turning point came in the opening minutes of the second period after Boston's Charlie McAvoy scored on a delayed penalty to cut Buffalo's lead to 2-1.

Some four minutes later, Buffalo's Sam Reinhart outworked Riley Nash and Danton Heinen in forcing a turnover deep in the Bruins zone. Reinhart then fed Rodrigues, who scored on a one-timer from the right circle.

"When you're 2-1 and you're making your push, it's a bad time to make that mistake, especially at the tail end of a road trip," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "I think we looked slow today."

Cassidy at least liked what he saw from Nash.

"He did as advertised to me," Cassidy said. "He'll be a welcome addition for us. I know he didn't see the best Boston Bruins team."

The 33-year-old Nash was credited with 17:27 of ice time while playing on the Bruins' second line, centered by David Krejci, and earning a spot on the top power-play unit. He finished with five shots, which didn't include a hard snapshot from the right circle which he banked off the far post on a 3-on-2 rush midway through the second period.

Nash said he felt fresh in playing his first game since the Rangers played Philadelphia on Feb. 18. He was a healthy scratch during New York's previous two games because the Rangers didn't want to risk the possibility of Nash being hurt before he was dealt.

"I had my legs. It was my first game in a week so I was a bit nervous," Nash said. "It's definitely been a couple of strange days not being able to play. But that's behind us and I'm happy to be a Bruin."

The Bruins squandered an opportunity to jump into second place in the Atlantic Division standings, a point ahead of the idle Maple Leafs.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 60

4 3 OT

McAvoy, newcomer Nash lead Bruins past Hurricanes 4-3 in OT

BOSTON -- Two of Boston's new additions helped the Bruins avoid their first three-game losing streak of the season.

Rick Nash scored in his home debut and Tommy Wingels had a goal and an assist in his first game for the Bruins, who rallied from a 3-1 deficit to beat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3 on Charlie McAvoy's goal 1:08 into overtime Tuesday night.

"The first period was rough," said Nash, acquired Sunday in a trade with the New York Rangers. "We stayed with it and we battled back. It was a big two points after being down two."

The Nash trade was the headliner in Boston as the Bruins bolstered their lineup for a postseason run. They also picked up Wingels on Monday in a deadline deal with Chicago that didn't get nearly as much attention, but it added some much-needed depth at center with leading goal-scorer Patrice Bergeron out with a broken foot.

Wingels assisted on Riley Nash's goal with three seconds left in the first period to pull Boston to 3-2, then tied it 5:34 into the second with his first goal as a member of the Bruins.

"At this point of the season, you don't have time to wade your way into it. You have to be ready to go from the get-go," Wingels said. "If you get traded, this is the kind of place you want to go to. It's a hungry team, a team that's capable of winning it all."

The Bruins, coming off back-to-back losses for just the second time this season, didn't look much like a contender in the first period.

"As the game went on I thought we started to establish ourselves again and put them on their heels and make them defend more and more," said Riley Nash, who helped set up McAvoy's game-winner by beating a pair of Carolina players in a corner battle for the puck.

He got the puck out of the corner and started Brad Marchand and McAvoy on a 2-on-1. McAvoy ended it with a wrist shot past goalie Scott Darling.

"They're where they are in the standings for a reason," said Carolina captain Justin Faulk, who had two assists. "It was tight, obviously, and we just weren't able to get enough."

Brock McGinn, Teuvo Teravainen and Sebastian Aho scored for Carolina in the first. Darling stopped 28 shots for the Hurricanes, who are 0-5-1 in their last six games and have been outscored 24-9 during the skid.

Tuukka Rask made 29 saves for the Bruins.

Rick Nash got his first goal for Boston at 11:41 of the first to tie it 1-all after McGinn's power-play goal 10:01 into the game gave Carolina an early lead.

Boston fans were still celebrating seven seconds later when David Pastrnak received a double-minor for a high stick to the face of Joakim Nordstrom, who stayed down at center ice for several minutes as the Carolina training staff attended to him.

Pastrnak was still serving the first penalty when Teravainen beat Rask with a wrist shot at 13:09.

Aho put Carolina up 3-1 with 56 seconds left in the first, slipping the puck between Rask's legs off a pass from Teravainen.

"We got one in the last minute, they got one in the last minute," Hurricanes coach Bill Peters said. "It would've been nice to come into the room with a two-goal lead. It's not the way it unfolded."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 61

8 4

Krejci hat trick leads Bruins to 8-4 win over Penguins

BOSTON -- David Krejci and his new linemate have taken no time at all to find a rhythm.

The Bruins center capitalized on his pairing with trade deadline acquisition Rick Nash to record his first hat trick in four years, and Boston tallied its biggest offensive output since 2012 with an 8-4 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday night.

"It's been a good marriage so far," said Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy, whose team has won two straight since adding four players leading up to Monday's deadline.

The biggest was Nash, a six-time All-Star who has two goals and an assist in two games for Boston -- including one of each against the defending Stanley Cup champions on Thursday.

"I'm obviously happy to be on his line," said Krejci, who has four hat tricks in the regular season and two more in the playoffs. "He's a world-class player, and he's proven it the last couple of games. I know it's not easy, but they fit in really well."

One night after the Boston Celtics posted a season-high 134 points in the same building, the Bruins scored their most goals of the year. David Pastrnak had two goals and an assist for Boston, which fell behind 35 seconds into the game but led 5-3 by the end of the first.

"That first period, I thought we were playing with white pucks," said Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask, who stopped 22 shots. "The only time I saw the puck was when I dug it out of the net."

Pittsburgh's Ollie Matta scored in the opening minute, but from there on it was mostly Bruins. Boston led 2-1 before the three-minute mark, 3-1 after six minutes and 5-2 with just under four minutes to play in the first before Riley Sheahan scored with 4 seconds to play in the period.

The Bruins added three in the second -- two on the power play from Krejci, giving him a hat trick with 25:27 still to play -- and one from Pastrnak.

Matta also scored with 15 minutes left to make it 8-4. Ex-Bruin Phil Kessel scored the other goal for the Penguins, who lost their third in a row.

Casey DeSmith stopped just two shots he faced in 5:27 before he was replaced, trailing 3-1. Tristan Jarry made 28 saves the rest of the way.

"These are two good-character guys. They are good people and I know they will bounce back," Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said of his goalies. "They've been very good for us and so we're just going to have to stay with it here."

Boston acquired Nash, Nick Holden and Tommy Wingels at the trade deadline and signed Brian Gionta, who captained Team USA at the Olympics. Gionta had two assists and Holden had one; Wingels had a goal and an assist on Tuesday night in his Bruins debut.

"The group that's here, the leadership group, makes things easy for the guys coming in," said Gionta, who played at Boston College. "We felt right at home right away."

David Backes and Torey Krug also scored for the Bruins, who haven't lost in regulation to the Penguins at home in eight games since 2013.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 62

2 1 OT

Marchand scores in OT, Bruins rally past Canadiens 2-1

BOSTON -- Brad Marchand waited patiently along the boards, sizing up the situation before swooping around the net and finding his spot to shoot.

Marchand scored 2:06 into overtime to lift the Boston Bruins to a 2-1 comeback win over the Canadiens on Saturday.

"You're just looking for an opening, that's kind of how it was," he said. "You could tell they were a little tired. You're kind of just waiting for that opening to show itself and luckily it did."

It was the Bruins' third straight victory and completed their four-game sweep of the season series with their archrivals for the first time since 1994-95.

"To have the puck that long and score -- heck of a goal," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said.

Marchand's score came on the Bruins' 50th shot on goal.

Boston defenseman Charlie McAvoy suffered what the club called "a lower-body injury" on the game's opening shift. It only took a few minutes for the team to announce that he was "not likely" to return, and it gave no further information.

"All I did, was see it real quick on the bench," Cassidy said. "Did he get his foot caught up with the other guy? Or is that something before that? I don't have a good answer for that to be honest. ... Hopefully it's not serious. It didn't look serious at the time."

Boston was coming off an eight-goal game -- its highest total since 2012 -- in a win over Pittsburgh on Thursday. The Bruins didn't score Saturday until Jake DeBrusk's tying goal with 2:45 left in regulation.

With Boston in danger of being shut out for the second time this season, DeBrusk tipped Nick Holden's shot past Antti Niemi after center Jonathan Drouin was sent off for a delay-of-game penalty.

"When you take six penalties whether deserved or whatever the case may be, eventually it catches up to you," Montreal coach Claude Julien said.

Boston scored the tying goal on its sixth power play.

"We've been through it so many times this year and different guys have stepped up numerous times," Marchand said. "We know we have a lot of character and can rely on different guys every night."

Anton Khudobin made 27 saves for Boston.

Brendan Gallagher scored and Niemi made 48 saves for the Canadiens.

"He definitely did his job and gave us a chance to win," defenseman Jeff Petry said of Niemi.

Gallagher gave Montreal the lead when he stole a puck from defenseman Kevan Miller near the blue, skated into the slot and beat Khudobin with a wrist shot inside the left post 9:16 into the game.

The Bruins tied their season high for a period with 19 shots on goal in the second -- and even had a two-man power play for 41 seconds -- but Niemi had solid positioning and controlled the rebounds.

Khudobin had the better highlight saves, though. His best was a sprawling right-pad stop with his legs completely split on Logan Shaw's shot from the edge of the crease.

Boston forward David Pastrnak missed an excellent opportunity when he hit the left post at the end of a 3-on-1 break six minutes into the game.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 63

6 5 OT

Marchand (3g, 2a) helps Bruins beat Red Wings 6-5 in OT

BOSTON -- Brad Marchand has become Mr. Overtime for the Bruins.

Not just this season, but in franchise history.

The pesky forward completed his hat trick 34 seconds into overtime on Tuesday night to help Boston, which twice squandered a two-goal lead in regulation, escape with a 6-5 victory over the Detroit Red Wings.

"He's been a big-time player for our team for a long time now," said defenseman Torey Krug, who had two goals and two assists. "And he obviously enjoys being that guy."

It was his fourth game-winner in five Bruins overtime wins this season. And it gave Marchand 11 overtime goals -- a franchise record, though the NHL didn't start playing regular-season overtimes until 1983.

"Played with great players," said Marchand, who also had two assists to help Boston win its fourth straight. "It makes it a lot easier."

David Pastrnak had three assists for the Bruins, who led 2-0 after 52 seconds and never trailed but needed overtime after Martin Frk made it 5-5 midway through the third period. Anton Khudobin made 30 saves for Boston.

Anthony Mantha had two goals and two assists for Detroit, which has lost four straight, seven of nine and 17 of 26 since it last topped .500 on Jan. 5.

Jared Coreau was beaten by the first two shots he faced and stopped just 12 of 16 shots before he was replaced 3:27 into the second period. Jimmy Howard faced 19 shots and saved 17 of them.

The Bruins led 2-0, 4-2 and 5-3 before Mantha scored his second goal in a four-minute span to make it a one-goal game with a little more than four minutes left in the second. It stayed that way until Frk was left alone in the slot, falling to his knees as he swatted the pass from Tyler Bertuzzi into the net with 10:14 remaining in regulation.

The Red Wings attacked first in the overtime but got a bad bounce off an official near the blue line to send the Bruins off on a rush. Marchand picked up a rebound off Krug's shot, moved it to his backhand and scored the winner, triggering an avalanche of the free green hats given out in honor of Irish Heritage Night.

"Most nights it's not going to be 6-5," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "But when it is, the guys have got to know they've got a chance to get it done. That is a good quality to have in your group. You don't want to use it every night."

Krug and Jake DeBrusk scored 15 seconds apart in the opening minute of the game. But the Red Wings tied it, getting a power play goal from Frans Nielsen 84 seconds later and a goal from Mike Green about five minutes after that.

Krug made it 3-2 on a power play with about six minutes left in the first, and Marchand gave the Bruins a 4-2 lead with six to play in the second.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 64

3 2

Marchand scores with 22 seconds left, Bruins beat Flyers 3-2

BOSTON -- Maybe Brad Marchand won't be as surprised to find an "A" sewn on his jersey before the Boston Bruins' next game.

Marchand delivered once again, this time as a surprise alternate captain, scoring with 22 seconds left in the third period to lift Boston over the Philadelphia Flyers 3-2 on Thursday night.

"I think it's just a product of everybody doing their job the right way and keeping it simple," said Marchand, who has scored the winner in three straight during Boston's five-game winning streak.

Marchand and David Pastrnak both swiped at the rebound off a shot by Zdeno Chara, and the puck slowly trickled behind goalie Alex Lyon. Marchand nudged it across the line for his 29th goal.

"I would have scored on that," joked Boston goalie Tuukka Rask, who had 31 saves. "He's a battler. He never quits on a play so it's good that he gets rewarded."

Marchand was coming off a five-point night against Detroit on Tuesday, when he scored twice in regulation and then scored 34 seconds into overtime. He also scored Saturday in Boston's 2-1 win at Montreal.

The Bruins improved to 5-0 since losing center Patrice Bergeron, the alternate captain who is out for a couple weeks with a broken right foot. Marchand said he was surprised to see before the game that the Bruins had given him the "A" for the evening, calling it an honor.

"I think we all have to carry the load a little bit. I think we're all feeling that," Marchand said.

Chara and Pastrnak had two assists each, and Riley Nash and Brian Gionta also scored for Boston, which won despite getting outshot 33-27 by the slumping Flyers.

Jakub Voracek and Jori Lehtera scored for Philadelphia, which is 0-4-1 in its last five and is clinging to third place in the Metropolitan Division. Coming off a 5-2 loss at home the night before against Pittsburgh, Philadelphia coach Dave Hakstol said he was pleased with the Flyers' 24-hour turnaround.

"Our guys worked their tails off from start to finish. It's hard when you have nothing to show for it at the end," Hakstol said. "We took a big step in the right direction. We got back to who we are tonight."

Nash tapped in a rebound after Pastrnak's wraparound attempt at 9:14 of the first to tie it at 1, then Gionta scored on a breakaway with 26 seconds left in the period to give Boston a 2-1 lead. It was the first goal as a Bruin for Gionta, who signed with Boston as a free agent serving as captain for the U.S. Olympic team.

"We stuck with it and obviously found a way late to get one. Those are the games you need to win coming down the stretch," said Gionta, who has a goal and three assists in four games for the Bruins.

Lehtera tied it on a short-handed goal 7:21 into the second. The Flyers took an early lead on Voracek's power-play goal 1:38 into the game, just nine seconds into a double-minor called on Kevan Miller for high sticking. Nolan Patrick set up Voracek's one-timer from the right side with a backward pass through his legs.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 65

7 4

Gionta, Rick Nash help Bruins power past Chicago 7-4

BOSTON -- Brian Gionta and Rick Nash each scored a power-play goal and the Boston Bruins beat the Chicago Blackhawks 7-4 Saturday to complete a 6-0 homestand.

Their goals came during a double-minor penalty on Chicago's Patrick Kane.

Jake DeBrusk set up two power-play goals by David Krejci. David Pastrnak scored, Noel Acciari had a shorthanded tally and Sean Kuraly added an empty-netter for Boston.

Tuukka Rask made 23 saves on his 31st birthday.

Erik Gustafsson had a goal and two assists, and Jonathan Toews, John Hayden and Matthew Highmore scored for Chicago, which lost for the fifth time in seven games.

Highmore's was his first in the NHL.

Gionta, the captain of the U.S. team at the Seoul Olympics, scored the go-ahead goal 8:02 into the third by tapping in a rebound at the edge of the crease. Nash redirected a shot from the top of the crease 76 seconds later.

The Bruins had four power-play goals.

Boston had tied it at 4 when Pastrnak charged to the net to knock in Brad Marchand's rebound with 13:37 left in the third period.

Highmore broke a 3-3 tie by sending a wrist shot from the right circle that beat Rask inside the far post with 4:14 left in the second period.

Chicago had taken a 3-2 edge on Hayden's goal 6:37 into the second, but Boston tied it 10 seconds into a power play.

DeBrusk stickhandled around a pair of Blackhawks players before sending a pass over to Krejci, who one-timed a shot into the net.

The teams were tied at 2 after a first period that featured plenty of good scoring chances and a shot off a post by each club.

Boston went ahead 2-0 with two special teams' goals. Acciari fired the rebound of Kuraly's breakaway shot into the net 11:27 into the game. Krejci, positioned in the slot, one-timed DeBrusk's pass from the left corner over Berube's left shoulder.

But the Blackhawks scored twice in 29 seconds to tie it.

On the first, Gustafsson fired a slap shot from the left point that Toews tipped inside the right post past. Gustafsson fired a shot from nearly the identical spot that beat Rask to the same side, tying it at 14:56.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 66

1 3

Kane's late PP goal lifts Blackhawks past Bruins 3-1

CHICAGO -- One day after a flurry of Boston power-play goals doomed them, Patrick Kane and the Chicago Blackhawks tightened up and turned the tables on the Bruins.

Kane scored a tie-breaking power-play goal with 3:16 left in the third period and had an assist, and the Blackhawks beat Boston 3-1 on Sunday afternoon.

Kane scored on a screened shot from just inside the left point to put Chicago ahead 2-1 with Boston's Zdeno Chara off for high-sticking Brandon Saad, getting a double-minor for drawing blood. Brent Seabrook added a goal from the right circle on a screened shot with 1:05 remaining -- and 11 seconds after the second portion of Chara's penalty had lapsed -- as the Blackhawks ended Boston's six-game winning streak and their own two-game slide.

Artem Anisimov scored Chicago's first power-play goal as the Blackhawks went 2 for 5 with the man advantage on Sunday. In a 7-4 loss at Boston on Saturday, the Bruins scored four times in six chances.

"Nice to have that opportunity with 3 1/2 minutes left," said Kane, whose goal was his 25th. "I thought the power play moved it around pretty good tonight. We had some chances, had some good looks."

Anisimov's goal was his 20th as he reached that mark for the third straight season since the Blackhawks acquired him from Columbus. He provided a screen on Kane's goal as Chicago had men in front of Boston back-up goaltender Anton Khudobin on all three scores.

"It's something we're always talking about," Kane said. "The first goal, Artie got the tip on it. On my goal, he took away the goalie's eyes. All I had to do was pick a corner."

Anton Forsberg made 31 saves, and Jonathan Toews had three assists.

Chara scored his seventh goal, tying the game 1-1 midway through the third period. Khudobin stopped 36 shots.

Chara said his penalty was an accident.

"I was trying to play the puck," he said. "I was just trying to get to that puck before their player did. It's very unfortunate when something like this happens."

The Bruins played without leading scorer Brad Marchand, who's out day to day with an upper-body injury.

Marchand, who has a team-high 29 goals and 69 points -- five goals and six assists in his last five games -- was hurt when he collided with Blackhawks forward Anthony Duclair in the first period of Saturday's contest between the teams in Boston.

"It's from the run-in with Duclair from last night," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We didn't know how serious it would be. Just found out before the game he wouldn't be able to go."

Duclair had to be helped off the ice after the collision, favoring his right leg, and is expected to miss up to two weeks, according to coach Joel Quenneville.

Marchand continued in Saturday's game, playing just over 20 minutes and finishing with two assists in the Bruins' 7-4 win.

The Blackhawks struck first on the man advantage in this one. Parked at the edge of the crease, Anisimov tipped in Toews' drive from the right circle for the only goal of the first period.

Both teams narrowly missed on prime chances in the scoreless second as players fired shots off posts and both goalies stopped breakaways.

Forsberg blocked a deflection by Rick Nash 4:30 into the third, then stopped the Boston forward at the edge of the crease with a pad save later in the same shift.

Chara tied it midway in the third period on the Bruins' 28th shot. The big defenseman fired from the slot after taking David Krejci's centering pass and beat Forsberg on the glove side.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 67

6 4

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Boston Bruins trailed 4-1 with 10 minutes to go and were down to four healthy defensemen. It was an adverse set of circumstances, to be sure.

No matter. Spurred on by Brad Marchand's words and David Pastrnak's play, the Bruins pulled off a stirring comeback.

Pastrnak scored three of Boston's five goals in the final 10 minutes for his first career hat trick, and the Bruins stunned the Carolina Hurricanes by rallying for a 6-4 victory Tuesday night.

"We knew we didn't play well, close enough to our standards," Pastrnak said. "We don't quit, and that showed today."

Matt Grzelcyk, Pastrnak and Danton Heinen scored in a span of 77 seconds to turn a 4-1 Bruins deficit into a 4-all tie.

Grzelcyk fired home a slap shot with 9:56 remaining, Pastrnak scored on a wrister 56 seconds later and Heinen followed 21 seconds after that with the tying goal, banging home a one-timer off a 2-on-1 rush with David Krejci.

Pastrnak put Boston ahead on a power-play goal with 3:30 left and finished off his hat trick with an empty-net goal with 1:34 remaining.

"The whole night we kind of don't have the legs and look kind of tired, no energy," Pastrnak said. "And then we get a couple goals and it seemed like all of a sudden everybody is flying and everything clicks."

Marchand had a goal and two assists for the Bruins, who snapped a three-game road losing streak. Tuukka Rask made 29 saves.

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy credited Marchand, who missed the previous game with an upper-body injury and was a game-time decision, for rallying the bench when the team trailed 4-1.

"Right around Grzelcyk's goal, Marchy said, 'Listen, there's a lot of time, we're not out of it,'" Cassidy said. "We knew it was a big ask to be able to come back. There's a lot of energy there, a lot of emotion in his game. He brings it every night."

The comeback victory did come at a cost. Bruins defensemen Zdeno Chara and Torey Krug, and forward Jake DeBrusk all left the game with injuries and did not return. Cassidy did not have an update on their status.

"It wasn't easy [playing four defensemen]," Grzelcyk said, "but it was a credit to the guys for buckling down and finding a way."

Sebastian Aho, Teuvo Teravainen and Justin Williams scored in the second period for the Hurricanes. Brock McGinn added a short-handed goal 51 seconds into the third to make it 4-1, but the Hurricanes couldn't hold it.

"I'm still kind of stunned, really," Williams said. "Things can go so right for 50 minutes and you can dig in and you can do all the things right. You let one goal turn into another one turn into another one. I don't know what else to say."

Justin Faulk and Elias Lindholm each had two assists for Carolina, and Cam Ward stopped 28 shots.

It was a deflating loss for the Hurricanes, who missed a chance to make up ground as they chase the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. They are seven points back with 12 games remaining.

"We're in a position, trying to scratch and claw, our backs are against the wall, and we're playing tight," Faulk said. "We're not playing loose. We're probably not playing with much confidence as a whole.

"I don't really know how to explain what just happened. It's tough."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 68

0 3

Reimer makes 46 saves in shutout, Panthers blank Bruins 3-0

SUNRISE, Fla. -- James Reimer found a great way to celebrate his 30th birthday: He tied a season high with 46 saves to lead the Florida Panthers over the Boston Bruins 3-0 on Thursday night.

"If that's what happens on my birthday, I'll take it every day," Reimer said.

Making his first start in six games, Reimer earned his third shutout of the season. Nick Bjugstad had a goal and an assist, and Vincent Trocheck and Aaron Ekblad also scored. Evgenii Dadonov added two assists.

Florida moved within three points of idle New Jersey for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The Panthers, who have won 11 of 13 at home, have two games in hand on the Devils.

"It's nice to get in a groove, get in a rhythm, when you haven't played in a long time," Reimer said. "It's big. We're trying to catch some teams. We've got games in hand, which is nice, but those games are useless if you don't win them."

Anton Khudobin stopped 25 shots for the Bruins, shut out for the first time since their second game of the season, a 4-0 loss to Colorado on Oct. 9. The Bruins are four points behind Atlantic Division leader Tampa Bay, with one game in hand on the Lightning.

"Give them credit, their goaltender credit, but sometimes it bounces your way, sometimes it doesn't," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said.

The Panthers stretched their lead to 3-0 on a power-play goal by Trocheck with 5:53 left in the second period. Trocheck's shot from the right circle went top shelf shot over Khudobin. Trocheck leads the team with 27 goals.

"We've been in this situation before and you're expecting that we're going to be back in the game," Khudobin said. "But, unfortunately this wasn't that day."

Aleksander Barkov's assist gave him 70 points, making him the first Panthers player since Olli Jokinen (71) in 2007-08 with 70 points in a season.

"I've got to thank my teammates for setting me up and playing really well with me," Barkov said. "I wouldn't be there without them, but we still have 14 games left and all I think about is getting wins and getting to the playoffs."

The division foes will play three more times this season, and the game had the feel of a must-win for the Panthers.

"With the race we're in and the time left in the season, we couldn't afford to lose two in a row, and we're going on the road," coach Bob Boughner said. "It was important to get back in the win column and get some points on the board."

Ekblad made it 1-0 at 6:25 of the first when he swatted in a rebound out of midair past Khudobin. Dadonov made a cross-ice pass to Bjugstad in front and he pushed in the puck to make it 2-0 at 9:06.

Bruins forward David Backes was assessed a match penalty for a first-period hit from behind on Trocheck. Backes didn't agree with the call.

"But it's one of those things I can't do anything about," he said. "I watched the rest of the game when I wished I could help my teammates win a game against a good team."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 69

3 0

Rask, Bruins hand Lightning first SO of season in 3-0 win

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tuukka Rask and the stubborn Boston Bruins stymied the Tampa Bay Lightning -- and got even closer in the standings.

Rask stopped 23 shots to hand Tampa Bay its first shutout of the season and lifted the Bruins over the Lightning 3-0 on Saturday night.

It was Rask's third shutout of the season and 41st of his career. It was also the first time the Lightning failed to score a goal since a 4-0 loss at Boston on April 4, 2017 -- also against Rask.

"It's playoff hockey," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said, "and I thought we were better at it than they were tonight."

David Pastrnak, David Backes and Riley Nash all scored for Boston, which moved within two points of the Lightning for the top spot in the Eastern Conference with one game in hand. Torey Krug assisted on all three of the Bruins' goals.

But the Bruins hope the win didn't come at a high cost.

The Bruins played the final two periods without Backes, who left following a scary incident late in the first period. As Backes tumbled to the ice and fell into the crease area, the back of Yanni Gourde's skate appeared to make contact just below Backes' right knee. Backes immediately grabbed his leg. As he was making his way to the Boston bench, blood appeared to seep through his pants as he was rushed back to the locker room.

The Bruins reported that Backes was resting after suffering a laceration on his knee that required approximately 18 stitches to close. Cassidy reported there was no structural damage.

"I think the concern is probably when you have those deep cuts is infection, so that's usually a couple of days to see how it heals up," Cassidy said. "I don't want to say he dodged a bullet because it's an unfortunate accident, but it looks like he'll be OK."

Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped 24 shots for the Lightning, whose last shutout at home came on March 16, 2017, by Toronto's Frederik Andersen. Tampa Bay has lost consecutive games for the first time since going 9-0-1 in the previous 10 games.

"Now is the time when you really have to look yourself in the mirror and really push yourself and hammer down on the details," Lightning defenseman Anton Stralman said. "We have to step up, we have to work. That was a good test. We got outplayed and now we have to raise the bar."

Pastrnak opened the scoring with his 28th goal of the season, getting a step ahead of Mikhail Sergachev coming down the slot to take a pass from Krug and slip a backhander past Vasilevskiy 3:07 in to the game.

Backes scored his 12th off a rebound in front for the first of two Boston power-play goals on the night.

Nash increased the lead to 3-0 in the second period with his 14th of the season.

"We've been talking about trying to get back to our identity and playing solid defense and finding our offense through that," Rask said. "Today we shut it down, came back hard and played solid, solid defense and scored three goals."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 70

4 5 OT

Atkinson scores in OT to lift Blue Jackets past Bruins, 5-4

BOSTON -- The Columbus Blue Jackets felt like they were lucky to get a victory in their late-season push for one of the Eastern Conference's playoff spots.

Cam Atkinson scored 2:55 into overtime to lift the Blue Jackets to a 5-4 comeback victory over Boston on Monday night for their eighth straight win, spoiling a splendid NHL debut for Bruins forward Ryan Donato.

"We stuck with it and that's what good teams do," Atkinson said. "It wasn't our prettiest by no means, but we found a way to get two huge points."

Sonny Milano, Boone Jenner, Thomas Vanek and Artemi Panarin also scored for the Blue Jackets. Nick Foligno and Ryan Murray had two assists, and Vanek and Jenner each added one. Joonas Korpisalo stopped 34 shots.

Columbus moved into a tie with Philadelphia with 85 points, but the Flyers hold the tiebreaker for third place in the Metropolitan Division and the Blue Jackets hold the first wild card in the East. New Jersey,which has the second wild card, is three points behind.

This one, though, may have been the Blue Jackets' ugliest during the current run.

"It just looked like as a whole group we didn't seem to have our legs," Columbus coach John Tortorella said. "The turnovers hurt us, we turned the puck over quite a bit. But give them credit, they just ended up finding a way."

Atkinson cut in on the left wing and fired a wrister past Tuukka Rask for the game-winner.

"You see it, there's no traffic in front of you, but there's more clear-cut chances," Rask said of the 3-on-3 overtime format. "Even that goal there, it looks like he's going high-stick, but it goes under my hand."

Donato had a goal and two assists for Boston, which moved a point behind idle Tampa Bay for first in the Atlantic. Riley Nash, Brad Marchand and David Krejci also scored for the Bruins, and Rask finished with 20 saves.

"It kind of felt like a dream," Donato said. "I really didn't really get too warmed up because I was focused everything else."

The Blue Jackets trailed by two late in the second period before scoring three consecutive goals to take a 4-3 lead.

Just 25 seconds after Nash had given the Bruins a 3-1 lead, Milano redirected Ryan Murray's slap-pass from the right point to pull Columbus within one with just over three minutes remaining in the middle period.

Vanek tipped in a shot from the slot, tying it 5:38 into the third, and Panarin put the Blue Jackets ahead off a faceoff with 8:30 left in regulation.

However, Donato slipped a short pass from the right circle to Krejci, who got the tying goal 20 seconds later while falling to one knee.

Jenner got Columbus on the scoreboard first when he redirected Vanek's pass by Rask 4:15 into the game.

The Bruins scored three straight goals in the second to take the lead. Marchand tied it with his team-leading 31st of the season when he got the puck at the end of a 2-on-1 break, shifted to his right and tucked it behind Korpisalo 5:41 into the middle period.

Donato, a Hobey Baker Finalist after leading Harvard in scoring this season, pushed Boston ahead with a one-timer that slipped inside the near post from the right faceoff circle at 7:28. The leading scorer on the U.S. team at the Pyeongchang Olympics signed a two-year, entry-level contract on Sunday.

Nash's power-play goal increased it to 3-1 as he banged home a rebound from the top of the crease with 3:28 remaining.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 71

1 2 OT

Schwartz scores twice, Blues beat Bruins 2-1 in OT

ST. LOUIS -- Jaden Schwartz and the St. Louis Blues waited most of the season for some late-game magic.

They finally found it.

Schwartz scored his second goal of the game 30 seconds into overtime to give St. Louis a 2-1 victory over the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night.

It was the Blues' third successive come-from-behind win in overtime. They beat Chicago 5-4 on Sunday after a 4-3 extra period win over the New York Rangers a day earlier.

Going into Saturday's game, St. Louis had a 2-23-1 record when trailing after the second period.

"We knew we had it in us," coach Mike Yeo said. "Obviously, we're finding it at the right time."

The Blues won for the fifth time in six games to move within two points of the final Western Conference wild-card spot.

Jake Allen made 21 saves to improve to 24-21-2.

Ryan Donato scored for Boston. The Bruins clinched a playoff spot and moved within four points of Tampa Bay for the Eastern lead.

Schwartz scored his third game-winning goal of the season with a nifty coast-to-coast march in the extra period. He took a drop pass from Colton Parayko and skated behind his own net to gain momentum.

Schwartz weaved through a pair of defenders and drilled a hard shot from the slot past goalie Anton Khudobin, who made 18 saves.

"I had some space and I just tried to pick up some speed," Schwartz said. "I wanted to see what was going to develop. I got a little one-on-one and just tried to change the angle."

Schwartz, who got his 15th career game-winner, missed 20 games earlier in the season with a broken ankle.

"He's a heck of a player, he's fun to watch," St. Louis defenseman Alex Pietrangelo said. "He's been so good for us this year in all aspects of the game."

Schwartz is having the time of his life during the Blues' recent come-from-behind win streak.

"We're back to believing in ourselves," Schwartz said. "We're doing a good job of playing the full 60 minutes and not giving up. We're not panicking."

Schwartz tied it midway through the third period with a wrist shot from the top of the circle.

Donato scored his second goal in his second NHL game. He had a goal and two assists in a 5-4 loss to Columbus on Monday night.

Donato, still a student at Harvard University, returned to Massachusetts on Tuesday to attend class before flying back to St. Louis to rejoin the Bruins. His father, Ted, played 528 games in two stints with the Bruins (1992-99, 2003-04).

Donato, who played for the U.S. Olympic team last month, drilled a shot past Allen in the first period. Pietrangelo's clearing attempt hit referee Brad Watson and the puck bounced right to Donato.

"That's the goal, getting that playoff point is huge for us and being able to clinch that spot," Donato said. "But obviously we would have been a lot happier if we got the win as well."

Boston, which has a game in hand on Tampa Bay, joined Nashville and Tampa Bay as only teams to have clinched playoff spots.

"Going into the season, we wanted to make the playoffs, be a Stanley Cup contender," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "Going forward, we want to be in the best position possible, playing the best hockey going in."

SHORT-HANDED

Boston was without seven key players:- C Patrice Bergeron (fractured left foot), D Charlie McAvoy (left knee), D Zdeno Chara (upper body), LW Jake DeBrusk (upper body), RW David Backes (right leg laceration), D Torey Krug (upper body) and LW Rick Nash (upper body). They have combined for 101 goals and 161 assists.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 72

3 2

Pastrnak scores with 12 seconds left, Bruins edge Stars 3-2

DALLAS -- Once the Boston Bruins broke through in the third period, they couldn't be stopped.

David Pastrnak snapped a tie with 12 seconds left and the Bruins scored three straight goals in the third to rally past the fading Dallas Stars 3-2 on Friday night.

"We said between periods we just need the one goal," Pastrnak said. "If we get the first one, we're going to get another."

Brad Marchand scored Boston's first goal and assisted on the other two, including a short-handed goal by Tim Schaller that tied it midway through the third period.

With only seconds remaining, a scramble followed a faceoff in the Dallas end, and Marchand passed to Pastrnak in front. While falling down, he put the puck past Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen.

"I was thinking shoot," Marchand said, "but I had a couple guys in my lane and I saw (Pastrnak) drive and I figured if I get it down there, hopefully he can make a play."

Tuukka Rask made a season-high 40 saves for the Bruins.

"He made a lot of really big saves, especially early on," Marchand said. "He's been the backbone of our team all year, for a few years now."

The second-place Bruins won for the first time in three games (1-0-2) to move within four points of Atlantic Division leader Tampa Bay. Boston has already clinched a playoff berth.

The Stars are winless in their last seven games (0-5-2). They remained four points behind Colorado for the second Western Conference wild card.

"I didn't think we were very good in our own end with the puck," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "We had all kinds of opportunities on the first and third goal to get it out."

Dallas led 2-0 on a first-period goal by Esa Lindell and Jamie Benn's short-handed score late in the second.

In the third, Marchand tipped in a shot by Pastrnak before Schaller scored on a 2-on-1 with Marchand.

Lehtonen finished with 33 saves.

"We had the game. We just need to keep going," Lehtonen said. "It was a broken play, that (first) goal. Shot that got tipped. I thought it was going to come faster to the net."

Lindell scored 2:26 into the game. Jason Dickinson tried to deflect a shot from the right point into the net but the puck went wide right. Curtis McKenzie picked it up behind the goal line and passed to Lindell high in the left faceoff circle. His wrist shot went in off Rask's right arm.

Benn missed two good scoring opportunities early in the second period, but connected at 19:22. He took a pass from Tyler Seguin at the Dallas blue line and had a breakaway when Matt Grzelcyk fell down. Benn slid a backhand under Rask.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 73

2 1 OT

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Something seems to click for Brad Marchand in overtime.

The Bruins forward entered Sunday night's game with four overtime goals this season. He added to that total to lift his team yet again.

Marchand scored 28 seconds into overtime for his league-leading fifth overtime goal and a 2-1 victory over the Minnesota Wild.

"Overtime specifically, especially this month, he's sure come through for us," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "But he's an elite player so we expect him to get his looks every night because he's hard on the puck and a heck of a competitor, so it doesn't surprise me."

Tuukka Rask made 24 saves and David Pastrnak also scored for the Bruins, who improved to 47-17-10.

Marchand's winner came after a pass off the boards by Torey Krug gave Marchand a shot at the net from the left faceoff circle. Wild defenseman Matt Dumba got turned around on the play and couldn't catch up with Marchand.

"You need a lot of things to go right but sometimes you benefit from plays, sometimes you don't," Marchand said. "I think this year I've been playing with a lot of guys who are making good plays and I'm benefiting from that."

Marchand got his second goal in two games and his third in a four-game span. His 33rd of the season was his eighth game-winner, tying a career high. Marchand also assisted on the Bruins' first goal.

Boston appeared to score first when Noel Acciari found the back of the net early in the second period. However, the goal was waved off after officials reviewed it and ruled that Boston's Riley Nash ran into goalie Alex Stalock.

Just over a minute later, the Bruins beat Stalock on one that counted. Pastrnak notched his 30th of the season -- and second in two games -- when his one-timer on a feed from Patrice Bergeron sailed past Stalock.

Bergeron's assist came in his first game back after missing a month with a fractured foot. The center last played on Feb. 25. He also assisted on Marchand's goal.

"It's always getting the legs and the timing and the execution back," Bergeron said. "I felt like it was getting better as the game went on."

Minnesota thought it had the tying goal later in the second, but a whistle sounded before Jason Zucker poked the puck past Rask. A replay also showed the puck under Rask's pad may have crossed the goal line, but a review determined the play was blown dead before the goal.

"You knew the puck was over the line," Wild coach Bruce Boudreau said. "It's just a question when did it go over the line."

Rask had a number of key saves in the first two periods, including a stop of Zach Parise on a short-handed chance and on a backhand shot by Marcus Foligno to preserve the one-goal lead.

The Wild broke through midway through the third. Captain Mikko Koivu scored his 14th goal when he collected a rebound from Matt Dumba's shot off the end boards and tucked it between Rask and the post.

It was Koivu's second goal in a 10-game stretch.

Minnesota has earned a point in five straight games.

Stalock got the start in net after Devan Dubnyk started Saturday's win against Nashville. Stalock made 26 saves and fell to 10-11-2.

"It was a playoff team again tonight so I think we see how tight games are going to be," Stalock said. "It's a bounce here or there. That's the difference."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 74

4 5 SO

Laine's shootout winner gives Jets 5-4 win over Bruins

WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- Brandon Tanev will have to watch video of himself celebrating his first NHL career hat trick because he can't remember what he did.

The second-year fourth-line forward scored his third goal of the game early in the third period, and Patrik Laine got the deciding score of the shootout to lift the Winnipeg Jets to a 5-4 victory over the Boston Bruins on Tuesday night.

"I kind of blacked out and didn't really know what I was doing," Tanev said of the moment when hats started raining down on the ice from the crowd at Bell MTS Place. "It was just a great feeling."

Laine deked and his shot in the fourth round of the tiebreaker trickled under Bruins goalie Anton Khudobin. Mark Scheifele also scored in the shootout for Winnipeg and Bruins rookie Ryan Donato beat Jets goalie Connor Hellebuyck.

The victory capped a perfect six-game homestand for the Jets.

"You're so happy for him" Winnipeg captain Blake Wheeler said of Tanev. "That line doesn't really have a glamourous job. They're supposed to go out there and basically just shut down the other team's best players, play heavy on them. They've done just an outstanding job of it all year, especially when they've been healthy.

"I'm sure he's going to remember this for a long time. That was as excited as I've seen our bench all year."

Defenseman Joe Morrow had his first goal for Winnipeg since being acquired from Montreal last month, and sixth of the season. Adam Lowry had two assists.

Donato, Danton Heinen, David Pastrnak and Torey Krug had goals for the Bruins, who scored three power-play goals. Krug added one assist and Brad Marchand had two.

"It's tough to play in this building," Pastrnak said. "It's a hell of a point for us. We had chances to get two, but at the same time we could have zero."

Hellebuyck made 28 saves to pick up his 40th win for the Jets. It was also their seventh straight victory at home.

Khudobin also stopped 28 shots as Boston ended a four-game road trip 2-0-2 and pulled one point behind Tampa Bay for first place in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference.

The teams were tied 1-1 after the first period and Winnipeg scored twice to take a 3-1 lead into the third. The second period ended with Jets defenseman Josh Morrissey being handed a major for boarding the Bruins' Matt Grzelcyk.

Boston scored two power-play goals by the 3:36 mark of the third.

"You see a guy that's played an important role for our team since guys have gone down take a heavy hit there, you want to step up for him," Krug said of Grzelcyk. "We don't back down from anyone so it kind of lit a fire into our team and our group."

Tanev, a Toronto native, then scored his third of the game with an unassisted short-handed goal at 4:29 to take a 4-3 lead. Krug tied the game 4-4 at 8:06 with another power-play goal through traffic after Scheifele was sent to the penalty box for cross-checking Krug.

Winnipeg outshot Boston 4-3 in overtime, with Hellebuyck getting a piece of Marchand's breakaway shot in the waning seconds.

"It was kind of a weird game," Wheeler said. "And then we had to kill (penalties) seemingly all night. The guys out on the kill lost their juice a little bit. You've just got to battle. Hopefully that doesn't happen again, but you never know.

"We might have to go through that sometime this spring, and you've got to find a way to go through it."

Tanev began the game's scoring when he banged at the puck from the side of the net until it went across the goal line at 5:33 of the first period. A Boston challenge was unsuccessful.

Scheifele's turnover in the defensive zone led to Donato putting a backhand shot past Hellebuyck with 53 seconds left in the first. The unassisted goal was Donato's third score and fifth point in his fifth NHL game.

Winnipeg scored two straight in the second, with Tanev firing a low shot by Khudobin just 16 seconds into the period. Scheifele then set up Morrow's 3-1 goal at 6:25 for the 3-1 lead.

The Jets challenged Heinen's goal at 1:45 of the third for offside, but it stood. Winnipeg was then dinged for delay of game for the challenge and Pastrnak scored at 3:36.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast