Thread: Kadri apologizes for stick incident in penalty box

Greatest Ceeb Pool Champ of All Time

Kadri apologizes for stick incident in penalty box

http://www.tsn.ca/kadri-apologizes-f...y-box-1.924376

By Mark Masters

Before a question could be asked,*Nazem Kadri*addressed reporters on Thursday in Carolina.

“Before we start,” Kadri*said, “the incident that happened yesterday, I feel terrible about it. Obviously, it’s an emotional game and*I*kind of got out of control."
    The Toronto Maple Leafs centre apologized repeatedly for accidentally hitting the penalty-box attendant with his stick late in Wednesday's 2-1 shootout loss to the Panthers in Florida.*
    "I didn’t even realize I hit him until I saw the replay afterwards. And then I must’ve apologized to him a thousand times in the penalty*box and hopefully he forgave me. Like I said, it’s an emotional game. I’ve tried reaching out to him and I’m going to send him something just to solidify my apology.*I’m sincere about that. I lost control and that won’t happen again.”*
    Kadri was furious after getting cross-checked by Aaron Ekblad and then Mike*Matheson on the same shift in the final minute of the third period. He retaliated with a cross-check on Matheson, which was the only penalty called in the sequence.*
    “These (hits) are behind me so*I don’t know they’re coming,” Kadri said of the blows from the Panthers defencemen. “I’m not expecting to be cross-checked. I’m being cross-checked in a very vulnerable area that doesn’t feel very good to get cross-checked in. I don’t have any padding there. It didn’t feel great so (I) just wasn’t happy. I really felt like I didn’t even cross-check him that hard, but it was a cross-check, regardless.”

After the game, Leafs head coach Mike Babcock said Kadri had to show more self-control, but also noted*it was “awful” that the initial cross-checks weren’t called.*
    “It was stupid, there’s no question about it,” Kadri said of his penalty which left the Leafs short-handed to start overtime, “and after you come to your thoughts in the penalty box you start to think about how irrational it was and there’s no excuse for it. Were*there a couple of incidences that happened beforehand that led to me acting that way? Sure, but I still got to keep my composure.”
    Kadri attempted to take his frustration out on a water bottle in the penalty box, but in his haste accidentally high-sticked the face of the official who was working there. The penalty box attendant responded by immediately getting*in Kadri’s face and offering what appeared to be a stern lecture.*
    “I wasn’t sure why he was upset with me and then I looked at the replay and I said, ‘Oh, dude, I don’t blame you,’ ” Kadri said. “I was super surprised. I was like, ‘What’s this guy doing here?’ But then I saw the replay and was like, ‘Wow, I’d probably do the same thing.’ I felt, honestly, very terrible about it and I’m reaching out to him and hopefully I can patch things up and make it better.”*
    What did the attendant say to Kadri?*
    “I don’t know. I wasn’t paying attention, to be honest, because I was yelling at other people and there was a whole bunch of stuff going on so I didn’t really hear what he said to me.*But by the time I looked up he was a couple inches from my face and I was kind of confused. Then I saw the replay and there’s no excuse for that. I mean, I seriously could have hurt him so I’m glad it wasn’t worse.”
    At times, Kadri has been known to*cross*the line from being an effective pest to a liability,*but his coach doesn’t want the 27-year-old to change.*
    “When you’re on the line, sometimes you cross it and you feel bad,” Babcock said. “You can’t put yourself before your teammates and he knows that.”*
    “I play on an edge and that’s how I play my best and that’s never going to change,” Kadri said. “You know, sometimes you can keep your emotions in check. I play with passion and ...*sometimes*you let it get the best of you."

Simon Boisvert‏

Marc Bergevin loves making trades involving 4th liners and 7th defensemen. He's fascinated by players similar to what he was back in the day

Greatest Ceeb Pool Champ of All Time
    Kadri is a sook bag when things don't go his way.

Simon Boisvert‏

Marc Bergevin loves making trades involving 4th liners and 7th defensemen. He's fascinated by players similar to what he was back in the day