Thread: Rangers fire Vigneault

Greatest Ceeb Pool Champ of All Time

Rangers fire Vigneault

https://www.tsn.ca/rangers-fire-head...ault-1.1050180

The New York Rangers fired coach Alain Vigneault hours after they missed the playoffs for the first time since 2010.
    General manager Jeff Gorton announced the firing Saturday night, a full day before the end of the NHL regular season but long after New York's playoff hopes were gone.

The Rangers will begin searching for his replacement immediately.
    The Rangers made the playoffs in four of Vigneault's five seasons as coach, including a 2014 trip to the Stanley Cup Final. They went 226-147-37 in the regular season under Vigneault, who is third in regular-season and playoff wins in franchise history.
    New York's front office decided in the middle of this season to go young, sell at the trade deadline and begin a rebuilding process in the hopes of becoming a title contender again. Vigneault repeatedly said he believed the Rangers would have made the playoffs if they didn't go in that direction.
    "I believe and some other people also believe that we would have gotten in, but a tough decision was made for the long-term future of this organization and you have to respect it," Vigneault said recently.
    After a 5-0 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday afternoon, the veteran coach said he expected to be back next season.
    "I think my staff is the right staff for this job," Vigneault said. "This is just my opinion, but I think one of the strongest assets of this organization is its coaching staff. They're experienced, we've been able to do it with veteran players, we've been able to do it with younger players, our development record."
    It's unclear if assistants Lindy Ruff and Scott Arniel will return or be considered as head-coaching candidates.
    When Gorton announced the Rangers' pivot toward a youth movement, he said Vigneault's future would be decided after the season. Before being fired, Vigneault made a passionate case to keep his job.
    "I've gone through every facet, whether it be a young team, an old team, once we know the team, every year is the same thing," Vigneault said. "Once we know the team we try and put in a system, it maximizes their talent and their potential and try and mask and work on the areas that we need improvement."
    Vigneault, who turns 57 in May, has coached 16 NHL seasons for the Montreal Canadiens, Vancouver Canucks and Rangers. His team made the playoffs 11 times, and he took Vancouver to the 2011 Cup Final.
    Because of that track record, Vigneault should be a candidate to coach in the NHL next season, which would take the Rangers off the hook for his contract, which was extended in early 2017.

Simon Boisvert‏

Marc Bergevin loves making trades involving 4th liners and 7th defensemen. He's fascinated by players similar to what he was back in the day

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Rangers fire Alain Vigneault after missing playoffs for first time since 2009-10

The New York Rangers fired coach Alain Vigneault on Saturday night.

The announcement came after the Rangers closed out the season with a 5-0 loss to the Flyers in Philadelphia, finishing 34-39-9 and missing the playoffs for the first time since the 2009-10 season.

New York also finished last in the Metropolitan Division with 77 points.

The Rangers said they will begin searching for his replacement immediately.

The Rangers declared in a letter to fans before the NHL trade deadline that they were "reshaping" the team, which would bring an infusion of youth and would include some trades involving veteran players. They dealt captain Ryan McDonagh and forward J.T. Miller to the Tampa Bay Lightning, forward Rick Nash to the Boston Bruins and Michael Grabner (their top goal scorer at the deadline) to the New Jersey Devils.

Alain Vigneault won 226 games in his five seasons with the Rangers, the third most by a head coach in the team's history.

GM Jeff Gorton told ESPN in March that it was less a "reshape" than a "rebuild" for New York. "When you make a statement like everyone is available, you're seeing what you can get for players and how that fits in to what you're doing when you're rebuilding," he said.

As for Vigneault, Gorton said he would be re-evaluated. "AV's a good coach. He's a good man. He's been a good coach here," Gorton told ESPN in March. "I want to sit down with AV at the end of the year and figure out what's best for him and what's best for us, and where it goes. How he sees it, and how we see it."

Clearly, the Rangers saw a different direction when it came to Vigneault overseeing a rebuild.

Vigneault won 226 games with the Rangers, the third most by a head coach in the team's history. He was hired on a five-year, $10 million contract with the Rangers on June 21, 2013, and signed a two-year extension in January 2017.

He's the first coach to be fired in the NHL this season.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin