Thread: Philadelphia Flyers Off-season 2018

Philadelphia Flyers Moderator

Philadelphia Flyers Off-season 2018

Hi guys,

So, I thought I would give my rundown of the season and the Flyers players, then later on I will cover draft news and any other developments that happen within the franchise.
    This could possible be my last, but we'll see.

I'll begin the way I usually have by going over the GM and Coach first, then get into the players.

Hextall-
    You have to give it to Hextall. He has heard it all from the Flyers fan base, even getting booed in their own building by fans that don't have a clue what a rebuild en-tales and he still hasn't deviated from his plan of rebuilding the correct way.
    So, Hexy made some more moves during the season. Some were to fill voids (Mrazek in net), some were to get more future picks (Schenn) and others were questionable pick-ups (Oduya- 1 game). As the bad contract get closer to finishing up, we will see more and more youth injected into this team.
    This season we saw a few young guys make the roster, to get them some NHL game time.
    Patrick was a good pick and got better as he got healthier and more comfortable. Laughton got a good crack this season in that 3rd and 4th line role playing. Hagg had a great go and was playing pretty well also. He was a leading hitter in the league.
    He also trialed players like Sanheim, Lindblom, Leier, Goulbourne, Morin, Alt and Martel. Sanheim and Lindblom are the pick of that bunch.
    So, not a bad season from Hextall, as much as Flyers fans would want to argue.....impatient bunch.
    I expect a few moves over this off-season, but more on that later.

Hakstol-
    Again, Flyers fans generally want him gone. Like Hextall, he has inherited this team of all sorts, and it's nearly to a point where it is the team that they want.
    A lot of fans don't like the way Hak scratches young players that aren't performing, but this should make them try harder and work their butts off. No position on this team is going to be spoon fed to anyone.
    Hakstol's biggest "Wow" move was putting Couturier at 1st line center and having Giroux start on LW. Wow, did that pay off! There were a few players that had a career season. Coots and G, were two of them. Voracek was also humming along nicely, but fell out of favor.
    I wasn't expecting this team to be in the play-offs, and the fact that they got there is great. This team is still consisting of two "fill-in" goalies and a mixed up bottom 6, that shuffles around on a nightly basis.
    Hakstol has done his best, and I think one more season before judging him would be good. We'll see what level of contention this team looks like as we get closer to the pre-season work.

Travis
    2014-2015 Ceeb Pool Champion of the World
    2016-2017 Ceeb Pool Champion of the World

Seasons player losses and gains (Of note)

Losses
    - Brayden Schenn (1st round picks, Lehtera)
    - Michael Del Zotto (Free-agency)
    - Steve Mason (Free-agency)
    - Mark Alt (Waivers)
    - Pierre-Eduard Bellemare (Expansion draft)

Gains
    - Brian Elliott (Free-agency)
    - Nolan Patrick (Drafted)

Travis

Let's get into the players now. I'll start off with goaltenders

Goalies

Michal Neuvirth, 30yrs, Signed through 18/19 season

Season- 22 GP, 9 Wins, 7 Losses, 2.60 GAA, .915 Sv%, 2.5m Cap

Well, this could be an interesting off-season for Neuvirth. He is coming into his final year of his contract, but his season was plagued with injuries yet again, forcing Hextall's hand to go out and get Mrazek to cover Neuvirth and Elliott going down at the same time. Personally, I think Alex Lyon could possibly backup Elliott during next season if no other candidates jump into the mix during pre-season. All of this would lead to an odd number of goalies. Neuvirth I think, will be the odd man out if it comes to it.
    His season was OK. Pretty much mirroring most seasons he has had. Injuries and played OK.
    He requires off-season surgery and has employed the help of a sports performance trainer.
    The play-offs were shocking as a whole team, and Neuvy played pretty well in one game.

Brian Elliott, 37yrs, Signed through 18/19 season
    Season- 43 GP, 23 Wins, 11 Losses, 2.66 GAA, .909 Sv%, 2.75m Cap

The Flyers starter for the season. He had a couple of injuries through the season, but generally played well in front of our defense. His numbers weren't great and he was inconsistent, but he was the most solid goal tender we had available. I think that he is more serviceable than Neuvirth. His injuries before the play-offs hurt him pretty bad in the Pens series. He will have to get 100% healthy in the off-season as well.

Petr Mrazek, 26yrs, RFA
    Season- 17 GP, 6 Wins, 6 Losses, 3.22 GAA, .891 Sv%, 2m Cap

Mrazek was brought in to cover the long term injury lost to both Elliott and Neuvirth at the same time. Flyers didn't want to rely too heavily on Alex Lyon, so traded a couple of mid-draft picks for his services. The picks had condition attached. Mrazek played well in a few games and poorly in others. He dropped back out of the mix once the others came back from injury. Flyers can shoot him a qualifying offer this off-season, but I think they'll let him walk, and so they should. He was a good little injury cover, but didn't show enough to keep him, plus it will put one of the conditions in motion if they sign him.

Alex Lyon, 25yrs, RFA
    Season- 11 GP, 4 Wins, 2 Losses, 2.75 GAA, .905 Sv%, 0.875m Cap

I liked what we saw in Lyon through the small sample size. He was called up a couple of times during the season to cover injuries and handled it very well. He is an RFA this off-season and I think he'll be re-signed. He is also doing an amazing job with the Phantoms play-off run, especially in the record breaking game of 5OT periods and 94 saves. Crazy.
    He has deserved a new contract. I'd like to see him take the backup role behind Elliott next season, if no other goalie prospects overtake him in pre-season.
    Last edited by teylward; 05-19-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Travis

Defense

Andrew MacDonald, 31yrs, Signed through 19/20

Season- 66 GP, 6 G, 15 A, +8, 5.000m Cap

MacDonald had a good season. As much as he has become the Flyers fans whipping boy, he has played well and provided a steady presence on the blue-line. He had his most points in a season since 13/14 season with the Islander and a career high in goals. He has the odd slip up with turning the puck over, but so does most of our defense. He still has 2 years left on his contract and I think he'll stay this season to be re-assessed at the end of next season.

Shayne Gostisbehere, 25yrs, Signed through 22/23
    Season- 78 GP, 13 G, 52 A, +10, 4.500m Cap

Ghost was the Flyers best scoring defender this season. He won the Flyers Barry Ashbee award for outstanding defenseman. He had a career year for points with 19 more than the 15/16 season. I think that Ghost really stepped up his defensive game this season and still produced offensively. His ability to read the play to shut down the pass, is very good and paired with Provorov, they make a great pair. He will no doubt start on the top pair alongside Provorov. His previous season was poor due to his hip surgery, and this season he was fully healthy and this is the real Ghost that everyone should expect.

Radko Gudas, 27yrs, Signed through 19/20
    Season- 70 GP, 2 G, 14 A, 0, 3.350m Cap

I think that Gudas is in the trade territory. He has taken a step backwards, in regards to why he was brought into this team. He has copped a lot over the last couple of season for his borderline play and now he has been tamed so much that he has become ineffective. He started becoming the new Rinaldo, where everything he touched turned into a suspension or penalty, even if it wasn't warranted. Other players no longer fear getting hit by him. He still bring a physical presence, but doesn't use it like he used to. He gets beaten. During the season, he did do some good defensive work and that is the reason he stuck, but his poor ability to clear the zone effectively hurts him. He will most likely be here next season, but if the Flyers could find a suitable trade, they will pull the trigger.

Ivan Provorov, 21yrs, Signed through 18/19
    Season- 82 GP, 17 G, 24 A, 17, 1.744m Cap

Now onto our best defender for decades. He took a big leap in goals with 17. His ability to read the play and make the important small moves is unreal. It's the simple things that he does well like rubbing out a player, for his team-mates to grab the puck, instead of jumping at the puck himself. A very smart player. He had the best plus/minus of all Flyers defenders and played all 82 regular season games. He will be up for some surgery in the off-season after playing through some massive pain in the play-offs. He wants a cup bad.
    An all out awesome player and coming into his contract season, he will get a big payout. He is one player that the Flyers can not lose. Lets see what he has in store for us next season.

Brandon Manning, 27yrs, UFA

Season- 65 GP, 7 G, 12 A, 0, 0.975m Cap

I think Manning had an alright season. He was definitely playing with a lot more confidence, jumping up into the play and getting rewarded for it by setting career highs in Goals and Assists. He played better defensively and offensively, but looks to only ever project as a 7th D, or AHL player....unless he makes a big step up next season, which won't be happening in a Flyers uniform. Manning is a UFA, and will/should be let go. We need to make room for some more youth and quite frankly, there are some younger players that will overtake him easily next season.

Travis Sanheim, 22yrs, Signed through 18/19
    Season- 49 GP, 2 G, 8 A, -6, 1.294m Cap

Speaking of making room for youth. Sanheim got a good taste of NHL this season. His first appearance didn't seem too good as he was trying a bit too much and not reading the play very well. He got caught out a lot of times while the player that he should have been covering was in the slot shooting for goal. He was eventually sent back down to Lehigh Valley. While down there, he got some good game time and made the most of it. He started really taking off offensively, and he made the trip back onto the Flyers roster near the end of the season. His last lot of games looked like a different player. He was playing smarter and keeping it simple. He ended up playing 49 games Sanheim will make the opening night roster next season, with it being his contract year also. He'll be looking at a short term bridge deal most likely.

Robert Hagg, 23yrs, RFA
    Season- 70 GP, 3 G, 6 A, +5, 0.894m Cap

Hagg was a nice surprise packet for this season. I knew he could go with the big boys after previous seasons in Swedish Elite League, but he wowed me with how physical and calm he could be. He has that sort of presence that brings a bit of calm. He looks to be developing into a reliable shutdown guy. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I like the kid and think that he can really step things up next season. He was near the top of the league at one stage for hits and ended up finishing 7th overall. That's as a rookie!
    Hagg is an RFA, and should/will get a new bridge deal. He will start on the Flyers roster next season.

Johnny Oduya, 36yrs, UFA
    Season- 1 GP, 0 G, 0 A, -1, 2.250m Cap

Not much point, but Oduya was really a backup plan. The youth seemed to fill any holes and then some. He is a UFA. He won't be around next season, so he is gone.

I'll get onto the forward group tomorrow.

Travis

OK. Now onto the Forwards

Forwards

Claude Giroux, 30yrs, Signed through 21/22

Season- 82 GP, 34 G, 68 A, +28, 8.275m Cap

Well, I am as glad as anyone for his comeback season. I spent most of the last off-season sticking up for Giroux after all of the fans wanting his head on the chopping block after an injury ravaged season. He definitely came through with the goods with a career season. Extremely unlucky(Flyers luck) not to be nominated in any NHL awards, especially the Hart trophy after finishing 2nd in the league for points....yeah, I know....figure that one out. (The conspiracy grows stronger) He had an amazing season after Hakstol moved him to the left wing and had him on a line with Couturier centering, and Voracek on the RW. Eventually, Konecny took Voracek's place. The move was a little controversial to start, but made Hak look like a genius in the end. Giroux set the NHL on fire during the regular season, but went missing during the play-offs, like the rest of the team. He set career highs in Goals, assists, points, plus/minus, shooting and face-off percentages, and all while taking less shots and less penalties as he normally does. All you can say is....Wow!
    Flyers fans still don't want him to have the C on his chest, but they don't know what happens behind the closed doors. Giroux wasn't only snubbed for any trophies, but he also wasn't asked to join Team Canada either. What is wrong with these Managers and NHL staff??? As for Flyers trophies, he took home the Bobby Clarke Trophy for MVP and the Toyota Cup for Most 3 stars
    Next season, it will be good to see him lined up with Coots and Konecny again. They looked good together.

Jakub Voracek, 28yrs, Signed through 23/24
    Season- 82 GP, 20 G, 65 A, +10, 8.250m Cap

Voracek got off to a very quick start to the season on the top line with Giroux and Couturier. He quickly become a leader in the NHL for assists and was doing quite well. Unfortunately, the Flyers team was struggling for depth, so Voracek got moved down a line in favor of Konecny. Voracek still kept up his pace, but started tailing off a little. He ended the season 4th overall in the NHL for assists and 13th overall for points. Again, Voracek dressed for all 82 games, while setting career highs in assists, points, and power-play points. It got to a point near the end of the season, that he didn't look like himself, making bad plays and not driving as hard into the zone. Let's hope for the Flyers sake that he continues on this trend and produces on a nightly basis. We have him for a long time, at quite a cost. We can't afford to have him go bust.
    Next season, I could see him starting on the second line. He is still an option to jump to the top line if things aren't quite going to plan up there as well.

Valtteri Filppula, 34yrs, UFA
    81 GP, 11 G, 22 A, -7, 5.000m Cap

Another Flyers fan whipping boy. Filppula was brought in to give a bit of an edge and unfortunately, he isn't working out. He provided flashes of his former self, but they were few and far between. He constantly got out-skated, out-muscled and rarely won a one-on-one battle, but still somehow ended up playing the second most minutes on the PK. He is at the age where his skill level and body are in decline, but I think we all knew that would happen. Hextall most likely brought him in for a bit of leadership, knowing full well, that his contract was short.......but expensive.
    Being a UFA, Filppula won't be back. I'm actually quite surprised that he played that many games without being scratched.

Jori Lehtera, 30yrs, Signed through 18/19
    62 GP, 3 G, 5 A, -8, 4.700m Cap

Lehtera was brought in through the trade of Brayden Schenn. St Louis had enough of him and wanted to move him out in a package of 2 1st round picks. Not too bad. Flyers have looked good out of that trade, even with Schenn playing very well, which we knew he would. Lehtera actually set career lows for nearly every stat. He just hasn't looked as good as Hextall had hoped. The word from Hexy, is that he will stay on the roster, even though plenty are screaming for him to be bought out. He does have a fair cap hit for what he brings to the team. they can't just be holding onto him because he is a "nice guy".
    I am hoping that Hextall is just bluffing and ends up buying him out, although he only has one year left on his contract. So, maybe just keep him in the press box or in the minors....if that's possible.

Sean Couturier, 25yrs, Signed through 21/22
    82 GP, 31 G, 45 A, +34, 4.333m Cap

Wow!! What a season by this guy. Unbelievable. Finished equal third in the NHL in plus/minus. Set career highs in nearly everything and really showed us what he has when given the opportunity on the top line. Having Schenn traded away, gave Couturier an excellent chance of getting better minutes with better players. Hakstol's move of Giroux to the wing allowed Couturier to slot into center. He set career highs in goals, assists, points, plus/minus, power-play points and shots.
    He cleaned up the awards at the Flyers presentation taking home the Pelle Lindbergh Memorial Trophy for Most improved, Yanick Dupre Class Guy Memorial Award and the Gene Hart Memorial Award for most "heart" shown. He has also being nominated for the NHL's Selke Trophy for best defensive forward. A trophy that he has always been in the conversations with every year. He is in for a good chance, if it's a fair fight.
    If Couturier keep this up, he will be the bargain buy of the century at 4.333m cap hit.

Wayne Simmonds, 29yrs, Signed through 18/19
    75 GP, 24 G, 22 A, -16, 3.975m Cap

Simmonds had a pretty rough year. A lot of it was plague by a number of different injuries. He ended up with the worst plus/minus on the team and had his lowest points and goals total since the 12/13 season, and also had his lowest penalty minutes total since joining the league at 57. His injury list was extensive and it definitely showed. He will be coming into his contract season, hoping to lift his game for a big payday. I'm hoping that he has a big off-season and gets back to 100% health. He is a heart and soul player for this team and it's not the same without him. Simmonds has been nominated for the NHL's Mark Messier Award for showing great leadership for his team on and off the ice, as well as playing a role in his community growing the game of hockey. He is going up against Derek Engelland and Blake Wheeler.
    Simmonds is looking a bit uncertain in terms of being with the team next season. There are a lot of rumors about trading him off. This season has definitely hurt his value, but the NHL know what type of player Simmonds is, so that could help. We have a lot of up and coming big contracts to sign including Konecny, Provorov, Sanheim and Carter Hart all in the same year. Only time will tell if he sticks around, but he will be a big loss in the locker room as well as on the ice.

Nolan Patrick, 19yrs, Signed through 19/20
    73 GP, 13 G, 17 A, +1, 3.575m Cap

2nd overall draft pick last summer and came into the season still recovering from his core muscle surgery. He got off to a very slow start, as you would expect. It took a bit to get going as well, but by mid season he was starting to show signs of why he was so highly regarded in the draft. He showed off some amazing talent and he will only get better from here. He finished the season around the 20th mark for goals and points in the NHL rookie class. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he turns out and how long it take him to take over that top line center spot. Some see him as a future leader of the team as well.
    Next season, he'll most likely resume on the 2nd line after having a full off-season and pre-season. He will turn heads and show his worth. I can't wait.

That's probably about it for tonight.
    I'll cover the rest of the forwards and more tomorrow.

Cheerio

Travis

Matt Read, 31yrs, UFA
    Season- 19 GP, 1 G, 0 A, -2, 3.750m Cap

Matt Read spent a lot of time in the AHL this season, and also spent time as a healthy scratch. Last season he got off to a fantastic start, but quickly faded. This season, he only dressed for 19 NHL games and 33 AHL games. In those 19 games he only scored once. He is a UFA and will not be back. Thanks for your service.

Michael Raffl, 29yrs, Signed through 18/19

Season- 76 GP, 13 G, 9 A, +9, 2.350m Cap

Raffl was a little bit in and out of the lineup during the season and as usual, his versatility had him covering holes up and down the lineup. He is a strong player and is useful on a 3rd scoring line. It's hard to produce every night when your line mates constantly change. He has done a good job, he can play a lot of different positions and he comes cheap. He will still be around next season, barring a trade, but next season will be his last. His UFA season is the season where the Flyers have a lot of big money contracts to give out. His role will most likely be handed to a younger prospect.

Dale Weise, 29yrs, Signed through 19/20
    Season- 46 GP, 4 G, 4 A, -7, 2.350m Cap

If I could choose who we could take between Raffl and Weise, I would choose Raffl every time. Same money, but Raffl can produce more offensively and still hold his own on the defensive side of things. Weise was another spare forward during the season. He has quickly gone downhill since joining the Flyers. He saw limited ice time this season and when he did, the fans weren't happy. He is just too slow, predictable and can't seem to get going offensively. I would like for the Flyers to find someone willing to take him off our hands, but I'm afraid that we might be stuck with him for the next 2 seasons. Maybe try bury him in the AHL???

Jordan Weal, 26yrs, Signed through 18/19
    Season- 69 GP, 8 G, 13 A, -10, 1.750m Cap

Weal was supposed to come in all hyped up and surge this season, after the end to last season looked so promising. Instead, he had a nice start and showed some brilliant flashes of the player he can be, but quickly faded off. He needs to get some confidence and work hard in the off-season. Weal had career highs for games, assists and points in his first proper season, but the Flyers need more from him. He will be coming into his contract season. If he wants another contract, he'll need to come in hard and fast. I think he looked alright on the 3rd line with Laughton, they usually played "keepings off", but either ended up in losing the puck, or getting an OK shot on net. We'll see what next season has in store for him.

Travis Konecny, 21yrs, Signed through 18/19
    Season- 81 GP, 24 G, 23 A, +17, 1.106m Cap

Konecny is just a star in the making. He possesses an awesome skill set of speed, agility, vision and shooting. Finishing 4th on the team in points, while agitating the other team by chirping is always good. He throws his body around (97 hits- 2nd among forwards) like he is a lot bigger, and makes the opposition earn the puck. He is only getting better after taking the top line spot from Voracek. Konecny fit in well on the top line and provided a speedy spark, complementing Giroux and Couturier. He can wheel and deal in tight quarters while staying upright, but needs to work on his defensive play a little bit. During the play-offs, he got moved off of the top line to create a little more depth, but it didn't work too well. I would have preferred to see him stay on Giroux and Couturier's line. He is coming into his contract year along with some other big name Flyers prospects, and he is one to keep around as he doesn't look like slowing down anytime soon. He'll have a lot of expectations on him next season, and it would benefit him to take the bull by the horns.

Scott Laughton, 23yrs, Signed through 18/19

Season- 81 GP, 10 G, 10 A, -10, 0.962m Cap

I have always had a little soft spot for Laughton, but it's quickly running out. Being a 20th pick holds certain expectations, especially after such an unreal offensive showing in the juniors. I have been giving him the benefit of doubt for a long time and after spending nearly all last season in the AHL, it was good to see what he could do with the Flyers again. He played all, but 1 game mainly as 3rd or 4th Center. Hakstol trialled him at Left wing in the play-offs. maybe he might start there next season??? His line-mates continually changed night-in, night-out, which doesn't make it easy for building good chemistry. He checks hard and plays well along the boards finishing 5th overall on Flyers in hits with 126. He played the checking role, and played the third most minutes on the PK among forwards. He got rushed to the NHL and could have possibly hurt his overall development, but he is now stuck in the bottom 6, with ever changing line-mates and I'm not sure what the Flyers team management are trying to turn him into. I think he is a little lost and I am really hoping for a big turn around season coming up. It is his contract season coming up as well, and he will become a RFA. Whether the Flyers want to keep him around will all hinge on next season.

Taylor Leier, 24yrs, RFA
    Season- 39 GP, 1 G, 4 A, -7, 0.806m Cap

Leier was in and out of the lineup all season, after having a great AHL campaign last season. He was another player who played the checking role with Laughton, and also got moved around a bit. It would be good to see him improve and get a full time role. He looks to struggle a little at NHL level finding gaps and seeing the ice to make plays. His shooting percentage was a very low 2.1%.
    I'm unsure if the Flyers will even offer him a new contract. He could be packaged in a trade, or they could hand him a qualifying offer. he could end up back on the Phantoms, as other forward prospects will overtake him in their development. there are a few nipping at the heels.

Oskar Lindblom, 21yrs, Signed through 19/20
    Season- 23 GP, 2 G, 4 A, +4, 1.137m Cap

I had actually pegged Lindblom to be in the lineup coming out of camp, like many people. After getting the hang of things in the AHL and looking good doing it, Lindblom got the call up to the Flyers. he had a good sample of what the NHL was like and did well. He made some nice plays and scored a couple of good goals. He obviously has some skill and needs to work hard in the off-season to bring it all next season. He was shuffled around a bit, but he should get more consistent line-mates next season....hopefully. I can't wait to see what he can produce.

Tyrell Goulbourne, 24yrs, RFA
    Season- 9 GP, 0 G, 0 A, -2, 0.775m Cap

A very small sample size. Goulbourne was brought in to inject some physical presence and get the team moving. He came in and did that by providing energy and throwing his body around, showing that he wanted to be there. The Flyers looked like they had a little lift in the next few games. The Goulbourne was sent back down....even to the ECHL. I don't think he will be re-signed and will fall of of the books. All the best to him

Danick Martel, 23yrs, RFA
    Season- 4 GP, 0 G, 0 A, -1, 0.800m Cap

Martel was going crazy in the AHL and up the top of the league in scoring. The Flyers decided to call him up and see how he went in the bad patch of the season. He was quick and had some nice shots, but couldn't get anything through. He played limited ice-time in only 4 games and only being 162 pounds, he got pushed off the puck quite easily. Once sent back down to the Phantoms, he slowed up a little. He definitely has the skills there, just needs to work on them and maybe put on some more weight and muscle.
    He is an RFA and I think the Flyers will send him a qualifying offer.

Travis

Time to go over our free-agents for this off-season, including a few other players of interest

Resign

Taylor Leier, LW, RFA- Leier could go either way. I think they'll try for a low cost, 2 year. After that I think he will be done if he doesn't start showing some signs of being able to handle the NHL. He had some good games this season, but we need to see more.
    Robert Hagg, D, RFA- Hagg is definitely going to get re-signed. This will be a bridge contract at 2-3 years. I'm expecting a price around the 1.2-2m mark per season. He did a good job during the season and should keep improving. His hit totals were crazy for a rookie player. He should stick on the Flyers roster all season.
    Anthony Stolarz, G, RFA- This is a hard one. Certain things would need to happen, for Stolarz to be re-signed, as I think Lyon might be just ahead of him in the depth chart. Flyers would probably need to move preferably Neuvirth, then put Lyon in as the backup. Then Have Stolarz and Hart in the AHL. Stolarz has battle back from injury and I would like to see what he has got before the Flyers totally give up on him. I'd say a 1 year qualifying offer to prove himself again. Something around the .750-.800m mark. It could be possible that he will not be resigned, which would be a shame.
    Alex Lyon, G, RFA- See above, but I think Lyon will be easily resigned ahead of Stolarz. He played well in the backup role for the Flyers while Neuvy and Elliott were injured. Can he do it for a full season though? I would say a signing of 2 years around .900m.
    Samuel Morin, D, RFA- Morin will be resigned. He had a little bit of an injury interrupted season, and the team expects bigger things from him. He has a chance next season to jump into the NHL and stay there. He should get a bridge deal 2-3 years touching around the 1m mark per season.
    Danick Martel, C, RFA- Martel had an amazing first half of the AHL season and was enough to get recalled by the Flyers for a few games. Martel should get a small contract around the .900m mark to see what he has in the tank. He needs to build up some muscle though if he wants to be able to stick in the NHL.
    Reece Willcox, D, RFA- Willcox might not be signed, but I think he is a nice addition on the Phantoms D. Still young and a bit more of a go would be good.
    Dustin Tokarski, G, UFA- This one will all come down to what goes on with the goalies. Tokarski played well during the AHL season and could serve as a good backup, if others aren't signed. Just an AHL contract for him.
    TJ Brennan, D, UFA- I think Brennan has earned another contract. He made the All-Star team and has been a great role model to all of the younger players. Has worked his butt of this season.

Let go

Valtteri Filppula, C, UFA-
    The Flyers have to start dropping contracts and Filppula is one that shouldn't be resigned. He just can't keep up anymore. He may be useful elsewhere, but my guess is that his career may be over.
    Matt Read, RW, UFA- He has played the hard yards for the Flyers over the years, and now it has come to an end. Read also can't seem to keep up anymore, even at the age of 31. He has lost his edge and scoring prowess. he won't be back.
    Brandon Manning, D, UFA- It's also the end of the road for Manning. He did have a good season and has improved a little bit, but this is more about making a spot available for the youth movement on D. He might pick up a job elsewhere.
    Johnny Oduya, D, UFA- Was a Flyers backup plan, that didn't really even come into effect. He'll walk
    Petr Mrazek, G, RFA- He'll be let go. He was brought in to cover injuries and did that. Job done. Someone will pick him up, and the Flyers would have to give Detroit a better pick if they did sign him
    Will O'Neill, D, UFA- He may get an AHL contract, or he will be let go in favor of some young guys, depending on which of them end up with the Flyers.
    John Muse, G, UFA- Sort of the odd man out. I can't see them signing him. He had some great games for the Phantoms, but there are already too many goalies backing up in the system. Phantoms will get younger next season

That looks about it for our free-agents

Travis

Basically untouchable

Ivan Provorov, D-
    This kid is what the Flyers need to build around. He had a slight sophomore slump, but still didn't notice it too much. Unbelievable vision and hockey IQ.
    Claude Giroux, LW- Well.....not many teams would want to touch the contract size, but after the season he had, you might get a couple of takers. He is our top forward still and still makes other players play better. Still deserves his captaincy, but I think it is a little limited now that the next crop are starting to come through. Has a no movement clause as well, so makes it up to him really.
    Shayne Gostisbehere, D- I still believe he is, for the most part, untouchable. He provides the top pairing of Provy and himself with a great defensive dynamic. He is getting better defensively as well.
    Sean Couturier, C- He is now the complete package. Lets all hope that he continues on this path. A big chance to win the Selke this season and so he should. He came firing on all cylinders and still kept up his amazing 2-way play. Smashed his career highs.
    Nolan Patrick, C- Giroux 2.0. This kid is going to be awesome in years to come. I think that next season will be his breakout, as this season started with injuries in the pre-season, and then recovery time in the regular season. Some of the moves he makes, really show what type of player he is going to be. Great hockey IQ.
    Travis Konecny, C/LW/RW- He just keeps getting better and better. Was supposed to have a scoring slump in his sophomore season, but didn't seem too phased by it. Looked great with Couturier and Giroux and would like to see them stick together. Provides some really good jump in the team with his speed.
    Travis Sanheim, D- He is just starting to come good for the Flyers now and should see a whole season through with the Flyers next season. I can't wait to see what he has in store.
    The Prospects- Carter Hart, Isaac Ratcliffe, Morgan Frost, Wade Allison, Felix Sandstrom

May be gone

Wayne Simmonds, RW- I think he is the main player that we need to watch this off-season. He will be coming into his contract season and has had a big down season after a lot of injuries. It would be a shame to see Simmonds go, but the Flyers won't be able to keep everyone after next season, after all of the entry level contracts run out and they need to hand out the cash.
    Radko Gudas, D- A think Gudas is on thin ice. After the Flyers told him to calm down his play, he has now gone the opposite way and now seems timid. I don't think he will be gone, but maybe wishful thinking.
    Michal Neuvirth, G- If the Flyers can find a trade partner, this could happen and it would ease the bottle neck of goalies we have going at the moment, if the above signings happen. He is just too injury prone and inconsistent.

Needs to go now

Jori Lehtera, C- A lot of fans calling for him to be bought out. I for one, would like to see him go, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stays around for his last season of his contract.
    Dale Weise, C- See Lehtera above

So, where to from here?

It will all come down to how Hextall shapes this team in the off-season. I'm hoping for a bit of a shake up in the way of getting more youth in the team, as well as getting the salary ready for all those big contracts the Flyers will be handing out next season.

On D, I expect Provy, Ghost, Hagg, MacDonald, Sanheim and most likely Gudas. Hakstol might choose Morin or Myers to be switched in and out with Hagg and Sanheim. I would prefer him to do it with Gudas. we need to get these young guys some gametime.

Up front, I expect a bit of change. It all comes down to who they sign. You will have the core of Konecny, Giroux, Coots, Patrick, Voracek, Laughton and Lindblom. Simmonds too, if he isn't traded away. We could see some surprise jumps to the team in Vecchione, Martel, Frost, Vorobyev...maybe Aube-Kubel. Who knows? For the most part, I think it could be pretty similar.

In goals, I am expecting that they will just go with Elliott and Neuvirth in net, with visits from Lyon during the season when either of the two get injured. Hart will be commanding the goals in Lehigh Valley along with Lyon, and possibly Tokarski or maybe even Stolarz. I think Sandstrom is quite happy with one more year left on his Swedish contract.

This will be an important season we are coming into with a lot going on with different prospects at all levels. I really hope it's a good one. The fans still won't be happy either way, but screw them!

As for which players can join pro from Juniors. I'm a little unsure of the rules, but from what I can understand, these players are eligible for the AHL

Carter Hart, Connor Bunnaman, Pascal Laberge, German Rubtsov, Carsen Twarynski, Tanner Laczynski, Wade Allison, Wyatt Kalynuk.

We'll see what happens.

Travis

So, with the NHL draft getting closer, it's time to start looking into the draft and see where the Flyers are at.

The Flyers currently hold the following picks

Round 1- Pick 14 and Pick 19
    Round 2- Pick 50
    Round 3- None
    Round 4- Pick 112
    Round 5- Pick 127 and Pick 143
    Round 6- Pick 174
    Round 7- Pick 190 and Pick 205

If the right deal comes along, they might move up or down, but two first round picks is a great start.

Travis

So, the Flyers kicked off their 2018 draft by selecting two forwards in the first round. Farabee(LW) at pick 14 and O'Brien(C) at pick 19. I know Farabee was talked about a bit and linked to the Flyers on a few occasions, but I hadn't really heard much on O'Brien. That was a bit of a surprise as he wasn't expected to go in the first round at all. I had also expected that the Flyers would select a winger with one pick and a defender with the other. We'll see how they go. Both players are spoken for next year, as they resume their careers at college. I'll be keeping a track of them next season.

Rounds 2-7 happen today. I can see a defender being selected in round 2, unless there is a forward or goalie steal left on the board.

Travis

I just remembered that Serron Noel is still on the board. He may be gone by pick 50, but if he is there, he has been linked to the Flyers already. Would be cool to pick him up, but he is a forward

Travis