Thread: Tavares Watch...

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries

Tavares Watch...

Tavares to meet with five teams ahead of free agency

TSN.ca Staff

Pending unrestricted free agent ' agent confirmed the 27-year-old plans to meet with five teams ahead of free agency opening on July 1.

Pierre LeBrun

@PierreVLeBrun
    Pat Brisson, agent for John Tavares, confirms that his client will use the UFA speaking period to chat with 5 teams

12:58 PM - Jun 23, 2018

Pierre LeBrun

Pat Brisson, agent for John Tavares, confirms that his client will use the UFA speaking period to chat with 5 teams

Pierre LeBrun

@PierreVLeBrun
    and I know this is obvious thing to say, but just like Steven Stamkos did two years ago, Tavares could still decide to re-sign with the Islanders after hearing out other teams. We'll see.

1:03 PM - Jun 23, 2018

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun noted that Tavares could still decide to re-sign with the Islanders after hearing out the other teams.

The period to interview pending unrestricted free agents before the market opens begins Sunday.

The teams weren't reported but the New York Posts' Larry Brooks, who was the first to report Tavares would meet with five teams, noted the New York Rangers are not among them.

I am told (though not by agent or NYI) that Tavares will meet with five teams during interview period that opens tomorrow. Rangers are not among them.

12:26 PM - Jun 23, 2018

Tavares is the top-ranked prospective free agent this off-season after finishing with 37 goals and 47 assists in 82 games for the Islanders.

Tavares has played his entire nine-year career with the Islanders and has 272 goals and 349 assists in 669 career games.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Report: Tavares to meet with Sharks, Leafs, Bruins, Lightning, Stars

The list of potential destinations for pending unrestricted free agent John Tavares is starting to grow.
    The New York Islanders captain's camp will meet with the San Jose Sharks, Toronto Maple Leafs, Dallas Stars, Boston Bruins, and Tampa Bay Lightning this week at CAA offices in Los Angeles, according to The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun.
    LeBrun adds that the Islanders remain in the mix and that Tavares will speak with two to three other teams over the phone, after which he may speak to one or two in person.

The UFA interview period opened Sunday, meaning teams can now speak to pending free agents ahead of July 1 to make their case.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Maple Leafs sign Tavares to 7-year, $77M contract

John Tavares is coming home.

The superstar forward is signing a seven-year contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs at an average annual value of $11 million, the club confirmed Sunday.

"The island, the fans, the organization, (and) my teammates will always be special to me and my family but it's time to live my childhood dream here in Toronto," Tavares wrote in a statement on Twitter.