Deal for center is worth $9.85 million per season through 2026-27

by Mike Battaglino / NHL.com Staff Writer

Tyler Seguin signed an eight-year, $78.8 million contract extension with the Dallas Stars on Thursday. It has an average annual value of $9.85 million.

"I'm thrilled to have this signed going into the season," the 26-year-old center said. "Dallas has become home to me and I love this organization. In my time over the last five years with [owner] Tom Gaglardi and [general manager] Jim Nill, it is clear how bad they want to win and have a model franchise.

To be a part of that leadership group for the next nine seasons is an honor, and I can't wait to get this season started with my teammates."

Seguin will play the final season of a six-year, $34.5 million contract he signed with the Boston Bruins on Sept. 11, 2012. He could have become an unrestricted free agent July 1, 2019 but instead signed with Dallas through the 2026-27 NHL season.

"Tyler is a world-class player and has become a leader for this franchise," Nill said.

"We're ecstatic that he has dedicated himself to the city of Dallas and the Stars organization for the next nine years. In his time here, he has not only become an elite player, but he has done tremendous work in the community. Being able to get this done before the season starts shows how committed he is to this group, and how important winning is to him."

Seguin had 78 points, including an NHL career-high 40 goals, last season. He has 384 points (173 goals, 211 assists) in 387 games in the past five seasons and is tied for second in goals with Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins during that span. Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals is first with 236.

Seguin was traded to Dallas from Boston on July 4, 2013. He was the No. 2 pick in the 2010 NHL Draft, behind Taylor Hall of the Edmonton Oilers. Hall was traded to the New Jersey Devils on June 29, 2016.
"I think it's become a fit," Seguin said last month. "I think [the Stars] just gave me an opportunity. My last team, I think there could have been a fit there too. It's a broken record now, but there wasn't the opportunity like Dallas.

The Stars kind of said, 'Here, you can take this chance wherever you can.'"

Dallas (42-32-8) finished three points behind the Colorado Avalanche for the second wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Western Conference and missed the playoffs for a second straight season and third time in the past four seasons.

"It's been a long few summers of no deep runs," Seguin said last month.

"The goal since I touched down in Dallas was to get deep in the playoffs and hopefully win so that's my focus. … At the end of the day I want to win, I want to be successful and I want to get back in the playoffs. I think we have the right group to do it this year."

The Stars begin training camp at CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho, on Friday and open the regular season at home against the Arizona Coyotes on Oct. 4.