Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boston Bruins 2018/19 Season Chatter

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 50

3 4 SO

Connor scores twice, adds shootout winner as Jets top Bruins

Trent Frederic drops the gloves and wins the bout against Brandon Tanev with his parents cheering in the crowd.

BOSTON -- A pair of Connors helped the Winnipeg Jets avoid their first three-game losing streak of the season.

Kyle Connor scored back-to-back goals 34 seconds apart in the third period and delivered the only goal in a shootout as the Jets rallied behind goalie Connor Hellebuyck to beat the Boston Bruins 4-3 on Tuesday night.

Hellebuyck stopped 36 shots, shutting out the Bruins in the five-minute overtime and all three rounds of the tiebreaker.

"I had a couple lucky ones tonight. I will say that," said Hellebuyck, who stopped Brad Marchand on Boston's final chance in the shootout. "I'll definitely take some credit, but I'm not the only one out there and I think everyone out there did their part."

Josh Morrissey also scored for the Jets and Mark Scheifele had two assists as Winnipeg rebounded from a 3-1 loss Monday night at Philadelphia following a nine-day layoff that encompassed the All-Star break.

"It's always tough coming off a break, no matter how much you put into it and stay in shape. Nothing's like game shape," Connor said. "I think as the game got on, we started to get our legs under us and just got back to the way we play hockey."

Patrice Bergeron scored twice for the Bruins. David Pastrnak had a goal and an assist, and Marchand assisted on all three goals for Boston in its first game in 10 days.

"We just had some breakdowns," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "You've got to be careful you don't beat yourself and I think there was a little bit of that tonight -- no disrespect to Winnipeg. They're one of the best teams in the National Hockey League, but I think some of it was self-inflicted and the good teams don't do that."

Cassidy was particularly upset about a sloppy line change that allowed Connor to get free for a quick breakaway after a turnover in the neutral zone. He beat Jaroslav Halak to tie it at 2-all 4:27 into the third period.

Connor gave the Jets their first lead 34 seconds later on a one-timer from the slot. Scheifele and Blake Wheeler assisted.

Bergeron scored from the slot with 8:21 left in the third for his second of the night but Boston couldn't get anything else past Hellebuyck, who played college hockey just 30 miles away at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell.

"He was great," Connor said. "It's good when you've got that type of goaltender back there."

Pastrnak put Boston up 2-1 on a power-play goal with 1:27 remaining in the first period on a one-timer from the left point. Bergeron's one-timer 9:49 into the game gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead.

Winnipeg tied it with 5:27 left in the first on Morrissey's slap shot from the blue line after the Jets won a faceoff during a power play with Zdeno Chara serving a slashing minor. It was only the fifth shot of the period for the Jets.

Trent Frederic made his NHL debut for Boston and picked up his first career fighting major in the second period after a scrum in front of the Winnipeg net.

Frederic and Brandon Tanev separated from the pack for a 1-on-1 bout that earned the kid a standing ovation from Boston fans -- including his parents, who were shown exchanging high-fives in the stands as Frederic headed to the locker room.

"I wasn't really going in trying to get one tonight but it just happened," Frederic said.

The fight occurred with 3:44 left in the second and less than a minute after Boston's Keven Miller and Adam Lowry exchanged a flurry of punches at the other end.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 51

2 3 OT

Sanheim scores in OT, Flyers beat Bruins for 6th straight

With the man advantage, Travis Sanheim's wrister goes in to propel the Flyers to a 3-2 win.

BOSTON -- The Philadelphia Flyers's holiday slump is well behind them. Now they're trying to salvage what had been a dismal season.

Travis Sanheim scored a power-play goal 2:56 into overtime and the Flyers beat the Boston Bruins 3-2 on Thursday night to extend their season-best winning streak to six.

The Flyers went 2 for 2 on the power play -- improving to 14.1 percent for the season -- and won in overtime for just the second time this season.

"We played one of our best games," said captain Claude Giroux, whose breakaway goal with 44 seconds left in the first period tied it at 1-1 and jumpstarted the Flyers for the remainder of the game. "I think it's confidence. When you get a couple wins you start feeling better about yourselves"

There was little confidence for Philadelphia at the beginning of the month during a losing streak that hit eight straight before the recent turnaround.

"I can't say enough about the way the guys played tonight," coach Scott Gordon said. "That has to be the best game we played. A little bit of a slow start, but you know, nothing that we couldn't recover from."

Sanheim had a goal and an assist, helping setting up Oskar Lindblom's tying goal with 9:24 left in the third period, then beat Tuukka Rask with a long wrist shot in the final seconds of a power play after Brad Marchand was sent off for tripping.

Jakub Voracek had two assists and Carter Hart made 23 saves for the resurgent Flyers, who have won seven of eight to improve to 22-23-6 and took the season series against the Bruins 2-1.

David Pastrnak scored both goals for the Bruins. Rask, out with a concussion since Jan. 19, stopped 38 shots in his return. The Bruins lost their third straight, making costly mistakes at crucial times once again.

"We have to fix it. The guys have to decide if they're going to play the right way and buy in and understand what we are right now," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "If we're scoring five goals a night, you get a little different animal. You can overlook some of those things. We're not in that position right now."

Travis Konecny, who drew the penalty on Marchand in OT, assisted with Sean Couturier on Sanheim's winner from the left circle.

Pastrnak scored a power-play goal 3:05 into the game to put the Bruins up 1-0, beating Hart with a one-timer from the left circle off Torey Krug's pass with 42 seconds remaining on Giroux's tripping penalty.

Pastrnak reached 30 goals for the third straight season when he tipped in a shot by Bergeron 5:11 into the second, putting Boston up 2-1.

Giroux beat Rask on a breakaway with 44 seconds left in the first to tie it at 1. It was just the eighth shot of the period for the Flyers, who got their offense going in the second period and outshot the Bruins 17-7, then continued to pressure Boston in the third.

Rask stopped Scott Laughton on a penalty shot 6:22 into the third, but the Flyers tied it with 9:24 left on Lindblom's power-play goal from the slot off a pass from Voracek.

Rask entered the game tied with Cecil "Tiny" Thompson as the winningest goaltender in club history with 252 victories. He was playing in his first game since Jan. 19, when a collision with New York Rangers' Filip Chytil left him with a concussion in the Bruins' final game before the All-Star break.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 52

1 0

Bruins shut out Capitals to end 14-game skid vs. Washington

David Krejci's goal is the only score in the Bruins' 1-0 win over the Capitals.

WASHINGTON -- Boston Bruins players could feel themselves making progress in recent games against the Washington Capitals even as the losses piled up.

All it took was finishing one play, a commitment to team defense and a handful of timely saves by Tuukka Rask for the Bruins to end their 14-game skid against the defending Stanley Cup champions with a 1-0 victory Sunday. Boston beat Washington for the first time since March 29, 2014, and its 14 consecutive victories against Arizona are now the longest active winning streak against one opponent in the NHL.

"We've had some tight games," said Rask, who made 24 saves for just his second career victory in 19 appearances against Washington. "It's one of those things that just happens in sports where you get into these streaks of either winning or losing and at some point they're going to snap."

Thanks to David Krejci's goal, the Bruins snapped their three-game skid and handed the Capitals their eighth loss in nine games.

Outscored 45-21 during their 14-game run of futility, the Bruins dominated the Capitals in almost all facets of the game and would have blown them out if not for the play of goaltender Braden Holtby, who made 37 saves. Holtby was helpless to stop Krejci's shot on a one-timer after a tic-tac-toe puck movement and a cross-ice pass from Torey Krug midway through the second.

Rask earned "TUUK!" chants rom Bruins fans in attendance, no louder than when he flashed the glove to snare a shot from Travis Boyd in the slot in the third period. The Finnish goalie picked up his 253rd career victory to take over first place on the Bruins' all-time list.

"He was in control all night," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We were pretty clean in front of him there till the end, and when we weren't, he was there for us. Happy for him, I think the guys in the room are as well and hopefully he keeps building on it."

Boston defenseman Brandon Carlo didn't believe there was necessarily a theme or specific problem that led to such a lopsided stretch against Washington and thought his team was getting closer to breaking through. Afterward, captain Zdeno Chara said the Bruins "finally" got the win against Washington.

In many ways, the Capitals had themselves to blame.

Fed up by mental mistakes, Capitals coach Todd Reirden used ice time as a weapon to punish players. He benched Evgeny Kuznetsov and Dmitrij Jaskin for much of the first period after each took a penalty and Andre Burakovsky for the first few minutes of the second for a defensive-zone turnover that almost led to a goal.

Washington leads the league with 191 minor penalties.

"I think as you get past the All-Star break and you start making a push toward the playoffs, that's an area we have to get better in, as we've taken far too many minor penalties with our sticks," Reirden said. "We have to be more disciplined if we're going to have success moving forward from here, and I thought the last 30 games is a good time to implement that."

Alex Ovechkin returned to the lineup after being forced to sit out Friday against Calgary for skipping All-Star Weekend. Ovechkin powered around Chara for a scoring chance in the first period but couldn't crack Rask. He will need to wait at least one more game to pass Sergei Fedorov for the most points by a Russian player.

"I'm so happy he didn't get it on me," Rask said. "I didn't know that. That would've been in my head if I knew that. That's good. I'm not facing them again, so that's good."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 53

3 1

Bergeron scores 2 in 1,000th game, Bruins beat Islanders 3-1

Patrice Bergeron scores off a rebound, then David Pastrnak lets Bergeron record the empty-net goal in the Bruins' 3-1 win vs. the Islanders.

BOSTON -- Patrice Bergeron told his Boston teammates that all he wanted in his 1,000th career game was for the Bruins to come out of it with two points.

The Bruins did, as did Bergeron, who scored twice in Boston's 3-1 victory over the New York Islanders on Tuesday night.

"It's been a fun ride. It was a special game that way," said Bergeron, only the fifth player in Bruins' history to play 1,000 games for the club.

Bergeron scored early in the second period and added an empty-netter in the final minute to cap off the night.

"Did you really expect anything else? That guy just steps up in every situation," said Brad Marchand, who assisted on both of Bergeron's goals. "You know he's going to have a big game on a milestone night like tonight. It was great to see. He's one of the top players in the game for a reason."

Marchand made sure Bergeron got a keepsake from the night when he skated out to the blue line and retrieved the puck after Bergeron's first goal put Boston up 1-0 at 2:32 in the first period.

David Pastrnak also assisted on both goals for Bergeron, passing up an empty-net opportunity and leaving the puck for Bergeron to tap in with 55 seconds left.

"I saw him look back and I was like `oh no, he's going to drop it,' but we were definitely alone and I very much appreciated it," Bergeron said.

Peter Cehlarik also scored and Tuukka Rask stopped 28 shots for the Bruins, who handed the Metropolitan Division-leading Islanders their first regulation loss in more than three weeks.

Jordan Eberle scored for the Islanders and Robin Lehner finished with 24 saves as New York's run of eight straight games with a point came to an end. The Islanders entered the game with a 6-0-2 stretch since a 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers on Jan. 12.

"We had a couple good looks and Tuukka made some good saves," Eberle said. "They're a good team over there. They don't give you much. We definitely had our opportunities, though."

The Islanders were just 1 for 5 on the power-play, failing to score on a great chance in the third when Boston's Matt Grzelcyk was called for two minors -- tripping and slashing -- on the same play with 11:41 left.

"At the end of the day we could've used another one, but give them credit. They killed it off," Islanders coach Barry Trotz said.

Cehlarik broke a 1-all tie 6:34 into the third on a rebound after Lehner stopped Kevan Miller's initial shot. It was the third goal of the season for Cehlarik.

Bergeron put the Bruins up 1-0 at 2:32 of the second period when he poked in the rebound after Lehner stopped a one-timer by Pastrnak but couldn't control the puck.

Bergeron was congratulating his teammates after the final horn when Bruins' captain Zdeno Chara, who's 6-foot-9, picked up the 33-year-old center in a giant bear-hug.

"I wanted to get back down, but I couldn't. He had a pretty strong grip," Bergeron said with a laugh. "That was pretty funny, but I don't know if I want to see that video."

The Islanders tied it on Eberle's power-play goal with 3:20 left in the second on a wrist shot that got through Rask on the stick side.

The Islanders appeared to take a 2-1 lead 4:52 into the third on a wrist shot by Cal Clutterbuck, but the Bruins challenged, believing Clutterbuck was already across the blue line when Casey Cizikas brought the puck into the zone.

Fans booed when they saw the replay and got louder as the review stretched past a few minutes. The boos turned to cheers when referee Chris Schlenker announced the play was offside and the goal didn't count.

Cehlarik put the Bruins up for good less than two minutes later.

"The second goal was a turning point because now you're chasing against a very good team that defends very well," Trotz said.

Game notes

Bergeron joined Ray Bourque (1,518), Johnny Bucyk (1,436), Don Sweeney (1,052) and Wayne Cashman (1,027) as the only players to play 1,000 games with the Bruins. .

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 54

3 4 SO

DeAngelo gets deciding goal in shootout, Rangers beat Bruins

Tony DeAngelo roofs a goal in the shootout, then Alexandar Georgiev shuts the door with a save to seal a 4-3 Rangers' win over the Bruins.

NEW YORK -- Successful in his only previous shootout attempt, Tony DeAngelo tried the same approach. And he got the same result.

DeAngelo scored the decisive goal in the seventh round of the shootout and the New York Rangers rallied from two goals down in the third period to beat the Boston Bruins 4-3 on Wednesday night.

"I kind of did the same move as last time," said DeAngelo, who beat Jaroslav Halak with a forehand from the right side into the top right corner. "To come back, pick up two points coming back down two in the third is a big win for us."

Mika Zibanejad, Kevin Hayes and Filip Chytil scored for New York and Alexandar Georgiev finished with 27 saves. The Rangers won for the second time in five games (2-2-1) after a stretch in which they won four of five.

"We gave them too many opportunities in the second period," New York coach David Quinn said. "We talked about we just go to move past that, we can't let that bad second period get in the way of the third period. ... We did a pretty good job in the third."

Danton Heinen, David Pastrnak and Patrice Bergeron scored for Boston, Brad Marchand had two assists, and Halak stopped 36 shots. The Bruins, who squandered a 3-1 lead in the second, had a two-game winning streak end, but earned a point for the fifth straight game (2-0-3).

Zibanejad and Marchand each scored in the third round of the tiebreaker. After DeAngelo gave the Rangers the edge, they won it when David Krejci missed on the Bruins' last attempt. That improved New York to 6-2 in shootouts this season.

Each team had chances as they alternated odd-man rushes in the 3-on-3 overtime, with Halak making a sensational save to deny Zibanejad with 1:06 left. Halak earlier thwarted Chytil in front. On the other end, Georgiev stopped Sean Kuraly's tip try with 1:23 to go.

"We let it slip in the third," Bergeron said. "That's where it was played out. That game shouldn't be going to overtime."

The Rangers pulled to 3-2 at 9:24 of the third when Jimmy Vesey sent a centering pass in front and Hayes poked it past Halak for his 12th.

Chytil then tied it on a power play, knocking in the rebound of Pavel Buchnevich's slap shot from the left side with 7:19 left for his 10th.

"We got the much-needed goals and kept working," Zibanejad said. "Had some good chances in overtime, and finished it off in a shootout. It was nice."

Boston was down 1-0 after one period, but took the lead with three goals about 4 1/2 minutes apart in the second.

First, Matt Grzelyck's slap shot from the left point deflected off Heinen and past Georgiev with 9:23 left. It was Heinen's seventh of the season.

Pastrnak then put Boston ahead with his 31st, deflecting a pass in front by Krejci into the right side with 8:11 remaining.

Bergeron, who played in his 1,000th game Tuesday night in a home victory over the Islanders, gave the Bruins a two-goal lead, tipping Torey Krug's pass in front for his 19th with 4:49 remaining. It was Boston's third power-play goal in 17 chances over the last six games.

The Rangers outshot the Bruins 12-8 in the first period.

Zibanejad gave the Rangers a 1-0 lead on a one-timer from between the circles with 2:15 left in the opening period. It was his 22nd goal of the season, and 11th in the last 12 games.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 55

5 4 OT

Bergeron scores OT winner to lift Bruins past Kings 5-4

Patrice Bergeron scores a game-winning overtime goal in the Bruins' 5-4 victory over the Kings.

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins honored Patrice Bergeron before the game. He made sure there was a celebration at the end.

Bergeron scored a power-play goal with 2:26 left in overtime, and the Bruins beat the Los Angeles Kings 5-4 Saturday after blowing a two-goal lead.

"The legend continues," Boston's Brad Marchand said. "It's great to see him have the game that he had. It was a great ceremony at the start. He deserves all the recognition that he's been getting, and he's gotten over the last few years."

The Bruins held a pregame ceremony for Bergeron, who earlier this week became the fifth player in team history to play 1,000 games with the club. During the first period, there was a video tribute that included congratulations from Super Bowl MVP Julian Edelman and former Red Sox star David Ortiz.

"I had to kind of look away a few times," Bergeron said. "It was pretty special to hear from all these guys."

He had set up two other goals before beating goalie Jonathan Quick with a wrister from the right circle for the game-winner.

"To get the win was very special," he said. "That's what I said on the bench -- `We've got to find a way' -- and we did."

Marchand, David Krejci and Danton Heinen each scored a goal in a 3:22 span early in the third period to give the Bruins a 4-2 edge before the Kings came back. Los Angeles tied it on Oscar Fantenberg's slap shot from the point with 4:47 left in regulation for his first goal of the season.

"The guys battled back," Kings coach Willie Desjardins said. "Was a little disappointing to start the third. We could have been better at the start of the third for sure."

Nate Thompson's goal cut it to 4-3 with 10:41 to play.

Charlie McAvoy had the other goal and Tuukka Rask stopped 25 shots for Boston, including Adrian Kempe's breakaway in the first minute of OT. The Bruins have collected at least a point in eight of their last 10 games (4-2-4).

Alex Iafallo and Anze Kopitar also scored for the Kings, who had their three-game winning streak snapped. Quick made 28 saves.

Krejci gave the Bruins a 3-2 lead just 90 seconds after Heinen tied it early in the third. Skating in on rush, Torey Krug fired a shot off the right post before Krejci sent the rebound into the net.

Heinen had banged in a rebound from the edge of the crease 3:27 into the third.

The Bruins then took their two-goal lead when Marchand converted a perfect pass from Bergeron for a short-handed goal at the end of a 2-on-1 break.

Trailing 1-0 midway into the second period, the Kings scored twice in just under six minutes to move ahead. With Krejci in the penalty box for slashing, they tied it on Iafallo's power-play goal at 8:13, a shot from the right point that caromed in off Rask.

Kopitar made it 2-1 when he one-timed a pass from Dustin Brown from the bottom of the right circle at 14:02.

"We worked hard to get the 2-1 lead and we kind of feel asleep there," Los Angeles forward Brendan Leipsic said.

The Bruins had moved ahead 1-0 when Bergeron set up McAvoy's goal 4:38 into the second. Bergeron collected a pass down low, twisted his hands quickly and made an off-balance feed to McAvoy, who was coming hard down the middle toward the net.

Quick made a couple of nice stops late in the scoreless first. The best was when he came across the crease to block Peter Cehlarik's shot from the bottom of the right circle.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 56

2 1 OT

Marchand's OT goal lifts Bruins over Avalanche 2-1

Brad Marchand knocks in a goal in overtime to break a 1-1 tie and carry the Bruins to a 2-1 victory over the Avalanche.

BOSTON -- Brad Marchand has a knack for the net in overtime. A lucky bounce helped him get another winner for the Bruins on Sunday.

Marchand scored 4:03 into the extra period after his shot deflected off an opponent's skate, extending Boston's points streak to seven games with a 2-1 victory over the Colorado Avalanche.

Patrice Bergeron left the puck at the top of the right circle for Marchand, who skated into the slot and inadvertently used Matt Calvert's skate to get the puck past goalie Semyon Varlamov.

Marchand extended his franchise record with his 14th career overtime goal.

"We got a lucky bounce, and we'll take it," Marchand said.

John Moore also scored and Jaroslav Halak made 35 saves for the Bruins, who improved to 4-0-3 in their last seven.

Boston (31-17-8) moved one point ahead of rival Montreal for third place in the Atlantic Division and trails second-place Toronto by a point.

"It was a needed point for us," said Halak, who snapped a personal five-game skid. "The standing in our division, it's tight, and it's going to be a race until the end so we need to keep getting points right now."

Nathan MacKinnon scored his 29th goal for Colorado, tying Gabriel Landeskog for the team lead. Varlamov had 33 saves as the Avs lost their seventh in a row (0-3-3) but earned a point with a third straight overtime loss.

"Tonight's just a wrist shot that happens to hit our guy's foot and changes direction," Colorado coach Jared Bednar said.

Colorado (22-22-11) fell 4-3 in OT at Washington on Thursday before losing by the same score Saturday against the Islanders in New York.

"This is kind of the luck we've been having with it," Bednar said. "We're working on it, we're watching video on it, guys are paying attention to what we're saying and defending hard 3-on-3."

Bednar called his team's three-game points streak "a huge step forward," but the sentiment differed inside the Avs' locker room.

"It's just not good enough," Varlamov said. "We've got to find a way to win in overtime."

The Avalanche sit four points out of the second wild-card spot in the Western Conference.

MacKinnon gained control of the puck in the corner before charging the net and beating Halak high on the glove side for the game's first goal with 32.1 seconds left in the first.

Boston tied it on Moore's goal nearly four minutes into the second. The veteran defenseman's wrist shot from atop the left circle found its way past a screened Varlamov for his third goal of the season.

MacKinnon's perfectly-timed exit from the penalty box during a Bruins power play midway through the period resulted in a breakaway, but he hesitated and jammed the puck against Halak's blocker.

Moore nearly scored another when he dumped the puck into the Avs' zone, only to have it take a wild bounce off the glass and zip past an unsuspecting Varlamov with 24.1 seconds left in the second. The referees waved it off, saying the puck went out of play after hitting the curved glass next to Boston's bench.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 57

6 3

Bruins beat Blackhawks 6-3, snap Chicago's 7-game win streak

David Krejci accounts for two of the Bruins' six goals as they defeat the Blackhawks 6-3 and defend home ice.

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins needed someone to replace David Pastrnak's production while their leading scorer recovers from thumb surgery.

For one night, at least, they found the solution: just about everyone.

David Krejci, Danton Heinen and Brad Marchand each scored during a four-minute span at the end of the first period and the Boston Bruins beat the Blackhawks 6-3 on Tuesday night to snap Chicago's seven-game winning streak.

"We're going to need contributions from everybody with Pasta going down like that," Marchand said, singling out Heinen and Jake DeBrusk, who each had a goal and two assists. "It's great to see them add so much depth to our group. We need that to continue."

Krejci scored again in the third period, when Marchand picked up his third assist, to help the Bruins win for the fifth time in six games. Peter Cehlarik also scored for Boston and Patrice Bergeron had a pair of assists on the day that general manager Don Sweeney announced that Pastrnak would miss at least two weeks after injuring a tendon in his left thumb.

"It doesn't hurt (to score a lot) when your best scorer goes down," said Tuukka Rask, who stopped 23 shots. "Six goals, that's good for the goalie."

Collin Delia made 31 saves, and Alex DeBrincat and Duncan Keith scored for Chicago, which hadn't lost since Jan. 17. Patrick Kane had an assist for the 14th straight game, tying Stan Mikita for the longest assist streak in the history of the Original Six franchise.

"We had a really good run. I think we built a lot of confidence within ourselves," Keith said. "We know what we were doing well and what we were doing to have success, and tonight we only did that in spurts. Against a good team like Boston, they're going to make you pay. And they did."

DeBrincat scored about four minutes into the game, wristing a long, seemingly harmless shot that trickled through Rask's pads. The Bruins killed off a 5-on-3 power play and then Krejci tied it with about five minutes left in the period.

Heinen gave Boston the lead less than a minute later, and another 3:23 later Marchand made it 3-1. DeBrusk gave Boston a 4-1 lead late in the second.

"When you kill a 5-on-3 I can tell you your whole bench gets picked up," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "The skill guys want to go out there and reward the (penalty) killers."

Boston failed to capitalize on a two-man advantage of its own, but the Bruins did have two power play goals -- even without Pastrnak, who was tied for ninth in the NHL with 66 points and is seventh with 31 goals.

General manager Don Sweeney said earlier Tuesday that the 22-year-old forward was injured when he fell Sunday night after attending a team sponsorship dinner. According to Sweeney, the doctor will re-evaluate the injury and the timetable in two weeks, but Pastrnak is expected to return this season.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 58

3 0

Bruins beat Ducks 3-0 for 4th straight win

Jake DeBrusk scores a power-play goal in the second period as the Bruins shutout the Ducks 3-0.

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Boston Bruins have been trending in the right direction for a while.

Jaroslav Halak is starting to round into form again.

Halak made 30 saves in his fourth shutout of the season, and the Bruins beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-0 on Friday night for their fourth consecutive victory.

"It's a team effort all the time," Halak said. "Like anytime we win a game or I get a shutout, it has to be everybody on the same page and I think tonight we were for 95 percent of it, and that makes you successful. We opened up the trip on the right note."

Noel Acciari and Jake DeBrusk scored for the Bruins, who have earned at least a point in nine consecutive games. Chris Wagner added an empty-netter with 1:31 remaining.

Halak has won consecutive starts since a 1-4-2 stretch during which he allowed 23 goals. Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy attributed the rough patch to the defense's inability to clear traffic from in front of the net and give the Slovakian goalie a chance to see the puck.

"He had a real hot streak at the start, cooled off a little," Cassidy said. "A product of both those streaks is usually the team in front of you. You play well, they keep the net clear, the goalie is going to look good."

Halak did his part, denying Corey Perry on an odd-man rush that was set up by Rickard Rakell's stellar backhand pass in the opening minute of the second period.

Halak also got some help when defenseman Brandon Carlo deflected Brandon Montour's follow-up shot of a breakaway by Ducks rookie forward Max Jones late in the first period.

Jones didn't have the angle he wanted initially and hesitated to shoot after racing past three Bruins at the blue line, allowing Halak to square up and make the initial save.

"A couple of times I got help from my D by clearing the puck or making a save for me, but I think it was a good effort," said Halak, who got his 46th career shutout.

Acciari put the Bruins in front 5:31 into the first period when he tipped Carlo's powerful slap shot past Boyle, ending a 16-game scoreless streak.

The Bruins made it 2-0 on DeBrusk's power-play goal 5:07 into the second. Anaheim goalie Kevin Boyle got caught out of position after challenging David Krejci, who easily skated past the rookie and fed DeBrusk for an easy tap-in. DeBrusk scored for the second straight game.

"Yeah, I was grinding for that one, that's for sure," DeBrusk joked. "It was pretty much lying in the crease and I had a front-row view to it, and it was just nice to be in the right place at the right time and help the team."

The Ducks have dropped 20 of their past 23 games. They have been shut out three times in their past nine games and scored a total of nine goals in that span.

"You can't expect to shut teams out every night," Ducks defenseman Josh Manson said. "It's unfortunate, but we know we have to score. It doesn't change anything for us."

Boyle made 26 saves.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 59

4 2

Bruins knock off Kings 4-2 for 5th straight win

Alex Iafallo thinks he has a goal, but Tuukka Rask makes the highlight-reel save to keep the game tied.

LOS ANGELES -- Charlie McAvoy and the Boston Bruins made one last push in the third period.

It worked.

McAvoy scored with 1:13 remaining, and the Bruins beat the Los Angeles Kings 4-2 on Saturday night for their fifth consecutive victory.

McAvoy scored on a backhand after Alex Iafallo tied it for Los Angeles 15:37 into the third period. Patrice Bergeron added an insurance goal at 19:23.

"You've got to win in a lot of different ways if you want to be a good hockey club so tonight, it was not that we were behind but it looked like the game was going to get away from us late there and a quick turn of events it goes our way," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said.

The Bruins improved to 7-0-3 in their past 10 games. Jake DeBrusk scored for the third consecutive game, Brad Marchand got his 23rd of the season and Tuukka Rask made 23 saves.

Ilya Kovalchuk had a power-play goal for the Kings, who have lost four straight. Jack Campbell, a surprise starter with Jonathan Quick out because of an illness, made 20 saves.

Los Angeles appeared to have the momentum after Rask's kick save of a shot by defenseman Paul LaDue went right to Iafallo for his 12th goal of the season, and Marchand was whistled for a hooking penalty on Kings center Jeff Carter 23 seconds later. But the Bruins did not allow a shot on the ensuing Kings power play.

"Very proud of how we played in the third," said Rask, who won his fifth straight start. "Even after they tied the game, a few minutes left and then we get a penalty, we did a great job with that penalty kill. It just shows how resilient our group is."

Kings captain Anze Kopitar shattered his stick over the crossbar of his own net after McAvoy scored, which he attributed to anger over his defending on the play and frustration from the team's inability to produce with the man advantage.

"With four minutes left and having a power play in a tie game, we have to find a way to score," Kopitar said. "We didn't even get in the zone. That's embarrassing."

Rask did his part to stifle the Kings, making a brilliant save on Iafallo late in the second period. Rask is 11-0-2 in his past 13 starts.

"He was the biggest reason why we won the game tonight, obviously," DeBrusk said. "He was holding the fort down and it was impressive to watch."

Game notes

DeBrusk set a career high with his 17th goal of the season. ... Bruins F Karson Kuhlman played 9:47 in his NHL debut. Kuhlman was captain of Minnesota-Duluth's 2018 national championship team and named most outstanding player of the NCAA tournament that season.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123