Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boston Bruins 2018/19 Season Chatter

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 50

3 4 SO

Connor scores twice, adds shootout winner as Jets top Bruins

Trent Frederic drops the gloves and wins the bout against Brandon Tanev with his parents cheering in the crowd.

BOSTON -- A pair of Connors helped the Winnipeg Jets avoid their first three-game losing streak of the season.

Kyle Connor scored back-to-back goals 34 seconds apart in the third period and delivered the only goal in a shootout as the Jets rallied behind goalie Connor Hellebuyck to beat the Boston Bruins 4-3 on Tuesday night.

Hellebuyck stopped 36 shots, shutting out the Bruins in the five-minute overtime and all three rounds of the tiebreaker.

"I had a couple lucky ones tonight. I will say that," said Hellebuyck, who stopped Brad Marchand on Boston's final chance in the shootout. "I'll definitely take some credit, but I'm not the only one out there and I think everyone out there did their part."

Josh Morrissey also scored for the Jets and Mark Scheifele had two assists as Winnipeg rebounded from a 3-1 loss Monday night at Philadelphia following a nine-day layoff that encompassed the All-Star break.

"It's always tough coming off a break, no matter how much you put into it and stay in shape. Nothing's like game shape," Connor said. "I think as the game got on, we started to get our legs under us and just got back to the way we play hockey."

Patrice Bergeron scored twice for the Bruins. David Pastrnak had a goal and an assist, and Marchand assisted on all three goals for Boston in its first game in 10 days.

"We just had some breakdowns," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "You've got to be careful you don't beat yourself and I think there was a little bit of that tonight -- no disrespect to Winnipeg. They're one of the best teams in the National Hockey League, but I think some of it was self-inflicted and the good teams don't do that."

Cassidy was particularly upset about a sloppy line change that allowed Connor to get free for a quick breakaway after a turnover in the neutral zone. He beat Jaroslav Halak to tie it at 2-all 4:27 into the third period.

Connor gave the Jets their first lead 34 seconds later on a one-timer from the slot. Scheifele and Blake Wheeler assisted.

Bergeron scored from the slot with 8:21 left in the third for his second of the night but Boston couldn't get anything else past Hellebuyck, who played college hockey just 30 miles away at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell.

"He was great," Connor said. "It's good when you've got that type of goaltender back there."

Pastrnak put Boston up 2-1 on a power-play goal with 1:27 remaining in the first period on a one-timer from the left point. Bergeron's one-timer 9:49 into the game gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead.

Winnipeg tied it with 5:27 left in the first on Morrissey's slap shot from the blue line after the Jets won a faceoff during a power play with Zdeno Chara serving a slashing minor. It was only the fifth shot of the period for the Jets.

Trent Frederic made his NHL debut for Boston and picked up his first career fighting major in the second period after a scrum in front of the Winnipeg net.

Frederic and Brandon Tanev separated from the pack for a 1-on-1 bout that earned the kid a standing ovation from Boston fans -- including his parents, who were shown exchanging high-fives in the stands as Frederic headed to the locker room.

"I wasn't really going in trying to get one tonight but it just happened," Frederic said.

The fight occurred with 3:44 left in the second and less than a minute after Boston's Keven Miller and Adam Lowry exchanged a flurry of punches at the other end.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 51

2 3 OT

Sanheim scores in OT, Flyers beat Bruins for 6th straight

With the man advantage, Travis Sanheim's wrister goes in to propel the Flyers to a 3-2 win.

BOSTON -- The Philadelphia Flyers's holiday slump is well behind them. Now they're trying to salvage what had been a dismal season.

Travis Sanheim scored a power-play goal 2:56 into overtime and the Flyers beat the Boston Bruins 3-2 on Thursday night to extend their season-best winning streak to six.

The Flyers went 2 for 2 on the power play -- improving to 14.1 percent for the season -- and won in overtime for just the second time this season.

"We played one of our best games," said captain Claude Giroux, whose breakaway goal with 44 seconds left in the first period tied it at 1-1 and jumpstarted the Flyers for the remainder of the game. "I think it's confidence. When you get a couple wins you start feeling better about yourselves"

There was little confidence for Philadelphia at the beginning of the month during a losing streak that hit eight straight before the recent turnaround.

"I can't say enough about the way the guys played tonight," coach Scott Gordon said. "That has to be the best game we played. A little bit of a slow start, but you know, nothing that we couldn't recover from."

Sanheim had a goal and an assist, helping setting up Oskar Lindblom's tying goal with 9:24 left in the third period, then beat Tuukka Rask with a long wrist shot in the final seconds of a power play after Brad Marchand was sent off for tripping.

Jakub Voracek had two assists and Carter Hart made 23 saves for the resurgent Flyers, who have won seven of eight to improve to 22-23-6 and took the season series against the Bruins 2-1.

David Pastrnak scored both goals for the Bruins. Rask, out with a concussion since Jan. 19, stopped 38 shots in his return. The Bruins lost their third straight, making costly mistakes at crucial times once again.

"We have to fix it. The guys have to decide if they're going to play the right way and buy in and understand what we are right now," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "If we're scoring five goals a night, you get a little different animal. You can overlook some of those things. We're not in that position right now."

Travis Konecny, who drew the penalty on Marchand in OT, assisted with Sean Couturier on Sanheim's winner from the left circle.

Pastrnak scored a power-play goal 3:05 into the game to put the Bruins up 1-0, beating Hart with a one-timer from the left circle off Torey Krug's pass with 42 seconds remaining on Giroux's tripping penalty.

Pastrnak reached 30 goals for the third straight season when he tipped in a shot by Bergeron 5:11 into the second, putting Boston up 2-1.

Giroux beat Rask on a breakaway with 44 seconds left in the first to tie it at 1. It was just the eighth shot of the period for the Flyers, who got their offense going in the second period and outshot the Bruins 17-7, then continued to pressure Boston in the third.

Rask stopped Scott Laughton on a penalty shot 6:22 into the third, but the Flyers tied it with 9:24 left on Lindblom's power-play goal from the slot off a pass from Voracek.

Rask entered the game tied with Cecil "Tiny" Thompson as the winningest goaltender in club history with 252 victories. He was playing in his first game since Jan. 19, when a collision with New York Rangers' Filip Chytil left him with a concussion in the Bruins' final game before the All-Star break.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 52

1 0

Bruins shut out Capitals to end 14-game skid vs. Washington

David Krejci's goal is the only score in the Bruins' 1-0 win over the Capitals.

WASHINGTON -- Boston Bruins players could feel themselves making progress in recent games against the Washington Capitals even as the losses piled up.

All it took was finishing one play, a commitment to team defense and a handful of timely saves by Tuukka Rask for the Bruins to end their 14-game skid against the defending Stanley Cup champions with a 1-0 victory Sunday. Boston beat Washington for the first time since March 29, 2014, and its 14 consecutive victories against Arizona are now the longest active winning streak against one opponent in the NHL.

"We've had some tight games," said Rask, who made 24 saves for just his second career victory in 19 appearances against Washington. "It's one of those things that just happens in sports where you get into these streaks of either winning or losing and at some point they're going to snap."

Thanks to David Krejci's goal, the Bruins snapped their three-game skid and handed the Capitals their eighth loss in nine games.

Outscored 45-21 during their 14-game run of futility, the Bruins dominated the Capitals in almost all facets of the game and would have blown them out if not for the play of goaltender Braden Holtby, who made 37 saves. Holtby was helpless to stop Krejci's shot on a one-timer after a tic-tac-toe puck movement and a cross-ice pass from Torey Krug midway through the second.

Rask earned "TUUK!" chants rom Bruins fans in attendance, no louder than when he flashed the glove to snare a shot from Travis Boyd in the slot in the third period. The Finnish goalie picked up his 253rd career victory to take over first place on the Bruins' all-time list.

"He was in control all night," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We were pretty clean in front of him there till the end, and when we weren't, he was there for us. Happy for him, I think the guys in the room are as well and hopefully he keeps building on it."

Boston defenseman Brandon Carlo didn't believe there was necessarily a theme or specific problem that led to such a lopsided stretch against Washington and thought his team was getting closer to breaking through. Afterward, captain Zdeno Chara said the Bruins "finally" got the win against Washington.

In many ways, the Capitals had themselves to blame.

Fed up by mental mistakes, Capitals coach Todd Reirden used ice time as a weapon to punish players. He benched Evgeny Kuznetsov and Dmitrij Jaskin for much of the first period after each took a penalty and Andre Burakovsky for the first few minutes of the second for a defensive-zone turnover that almost led to a goal.

Washington leads the league with 191 minor penalties.

"I think as you get past the All-Star break and you start making a push toward the playoffs, that's an area we have to get better in, as we've taken far too many minor penalties with our sticks," Reirden said. "We have to be more disciplined if we're going to have success moving forward from here, and I thought the last 30 games is a good time to implement that."

Alex Ovechkin returned to the lineup after being forced to sit out Friday against Calgary for skipping All-Star Weekend. Ovechkin powered around Chara for a scoring chance in the first period but couldn't crack Rask. He will need to wait at least one more game to pass Sergei Fedorov for the most points by a Russian player.

"I'm so happy he didn't get it on me," Rask said. "I didn't know that. That would've been in my head if I knew that. That's good. I'm not facing them again, so that's good."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 53

3 1

Bergeron scores 2 in 1,000th game, Bruins beat Islanders 3-1

Patrice Bergeron scores off a rebound, then David Pastrnak lets Bergeron record the empty-net goal in the Bruins' 3-1 win vs. the Islanders.

BOSTON -- Patrice Bergeron told his Boston teammates that all he wanted in his 1,000th career game was for the Bruins to come out of it with two points.

The Bruins did, as did Bergeron, who scored twice in Boston's 3-1 victory over the New York Islanders on Tuesday night.

"It's been a fun ride. It was a special game that way," said Bergeron, only the fifth player in Bruins' history to play 1,000 games for the club.

Bergeron scored early in the second period and added an empty-netter in the final minute to cap off the night.

"Did you really expect anything else? That guy just steps up in every situation," said Brad Marchand, who assisted on both of Bergeron's goals. "You know he's going to have a big game on a milestone night like tonight. It was great to see. He's one of the top players in the game for a reason."

Marchand made sure Bergeron got a keepsake from the night when he skated out to the blue line and retrieved the puck after Bergeron's first goal put Boston up 1-0 at 2:32 in the first period.

David Pastrnak also assisted on both goals for Bergeron, passing up an empty-net opportunity and leaving the puck for Bergeron to tap in with 55 seconds left.

"I saw him look back and I was like `oh no, he's going to drop it,' but we were definitely alone and I very much appreciated it," Bergeron said.

Peter Cehlarik also scored and Tuukka Rask stopped 28 shots for the Bruins, who handed the Metropolitan Division-leading Islanders their first regulation loss in more than three weeks.

Jordan Eberle scored for the Islanders and Robin Lehner finished with 24 saves as New York's run of eight straight games with a point came to an end. The Islanders entered the game with a 6-0-2 stretch since a 2-1 loss to the New York Rangers on Jan. 12.

"We had a couple good looks and Tuukka made some good saves," Eberle said. "They're a good team over there. They don't give you much. We definitely had our opportunities, though."

The Islanders were just 1 for 5 on the power-play, failing to score on a great chance in the third when Boston's Matt Grzelcyk was called for two minors -- tripping and slashing -- on the same play with 11:41 left.

"At the end of the day we could've used another one, but give them credit. They killed it off," Islanders coach Barry Trotz said.

Cehlarik broke a 1-all tie 6:34 into the third on a rebound after Lehner stopped Kevan Miller's initial shot. It was the third goal of the season for Cehlarik.

Bergeron put the Bruins up 1-0 at 2:32 of the second period when he poked in the rebound after Lehner stopped a one-timer by Pastrnak but couldn't control the puck.

Bergeron was congratulating his teammates after the final horn when Bruins' captain Zdeno Chara, who's 6-foot-9, picked up the 33-year-old center in a giant bear-hug.

"I wanted to get back down, but I couldn't. He had a pretty strong grip," Bergeron said with a laugh. "That was pretty funny, but I don't know if I want to see that video."

The Islanders tied it on Eberle's power-play goal with 3:20 left in the second on a wrist shot that got through Rask on the stick side.

The Islanders appeared to take a 2-1 lead 4:52 into the third on a wrist shot by Cal Clutterbuck, but the Bruins challenged, believing Clutterbuck was already across the blue line when Casey Cizikas brought the puck into the zone.

Fans booed when they saw the replay and got louder as the review stretched past a few minutes. The boos turned to cheers when referee Chris Schlenker announced the play was offside and the goal didn't count.

Cehlarik put the Bruins up for good less than two minutes later.

"The second goal was a turning point because now you're chasing against a very good team that defends very well," Trotz said.

Game notes

Bergeron joined Ray Bourque (1,518), Johnny Bucyk (1,436), Don Sweeney (1,052) and Wayne Cashman (1,027) as the only players to play 1,000 games with the Bruins. .

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 54

3 4 SO

DeAngelo gets deciding goal in shootout, Rangers beat Bruins

Tony DeAngelo roofs a goal in the shootout, then Alexandar Georgiev shuts the door with a save to seal a 4-3 Rangers' win over the Bruins.

NEW YORK -- Successful in his only previous shootout attempt, Tony DeAngelo tried the same approach. And he got the same result.

DeAngelo scored the decisive goal in the seventh round of the shootout and the New York Rangers rallied from two goals down in the third period to beat the Boston Bruins 4-3 on Wednesday night.

"I kind of did the same move as last time," said DeAngelo, who beat Jaroslav Halak with a forehand from the right side into the top right corner. "To come back, pick up two points coming back down two in the third is a big win for us."

Mika Zibanejad, Kevin Hayes and Filip Chytil scored for New York and Alexandar Georgiev finished with 27 saves. The Rangers won for the second time in five games (2-2-1) after a stretch in which they won four of five.

"We gave them too many opportunities in the second period," New York coach David Quinn said. "We talked about we just go to move past that, we can't let that bad second period get in the way of the third period. ... We did a pretty good job in the third."

Danton Heinen, David Pastrnak and Patrice Bergeron scored for Boston, Brad Marchand had two assists, and Halak stopped 36 shots. The Bruins, who squandered a 3-1 lead in the second, had a two-game winning streak end, but earned a point for the fifth straight game (2-0-3).

Zibanejad and Marchand each scored in the third round of the tiebreaker. After DeAngelo gave the Rangers the edge, they won it when David Krejci missed on the Bruins' last attempt. That improved New York to 6-2 in shootouts this season.

Each team had chances as they alternated odd-man rushes in the 3-on-3 overtime, with Halak making a sensational save to deny Zibanejad with 1:06 left. Halak earlier thwarted Chytil in front. On the other end, Georgiev stopped Sean Kuraly's tip try with 1:23 to go.

"We let it slip in the third," Bergeron said. "That's where it was played out. That game shouldn't be going to overtime."

The Rangers pulled to 3-2 at 9:24 of the third when Jimmy Vesey sent a centering pass in front and Hayes poked it past Halak for his 12th.

Chytil then tied it on a power play, knocking in the rebound of Pavel Buchnevich's slap shot from the left side with 7:19 left for his 10th.

"We got the much-needed goals and kept working," Zibanejad said. "Had some good chances in overtime, and finished it off in a shootout. It was nice."

Boston was down 1-0 after one period, but took the lead with three goals about 4 1/2 minutes apart in the second.

First, Matt Grzelyck's slap shot from the left point deflected off Heinen and past Georgiev with 9:23 left. It was Heinen's seventh of the season.

Pastrnak then put Boston ahead with his 31st, deflecting a pass in front by Krejci into the right side with 8:11 remaining.

Bergeron, who played in his 1,000th game Tuesday night in a home victory over the Islanders, gave the Bruins a two-goal lead, tipping Torey Krug's pass in front for his 19th with 4:49 remaining. It was Boston's third power-play goal in 17 chances over the last six games.

The Rangers outshot the Bruins 12-8 in the first period.

Zibanejad gave the Rangers a 1-0 lead on a one-timer from between the circles with 2:15 left in the opening period. It was his 22nd goal of the season, and 11th in the last 12 games.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 55

5 4 OT

Bergeron scores OT winner to lift Bruins past Kings 5-4

Patrice Bergeron scores a game-winning overtime goal in the Bruins' 5-4 victory over the Kings.

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins honored Patrice Bergeron before the game. He made sure there was a celebration at the end.

Bergeron scored a power-play goal with 2:26 left in overtime, and the Bruins beat the Los Angeles Kings 5-4 Saturday after blowing a two-goal lead.

"The legend continues," Boston's Brad Marchand said. "It's great to see him have the game that he had. It was a great ceremony at the start. He deserves all the recognition that he's been getting, and he's gotten over the last few years."

The Bruins held a pregame ceremony for Bergeron, who earlier this week became the fifth player in team history to play 1,000 games with the club. During the first period, there was a video tribute that included congratulations from Super Bowl MVP Julian Edelman and former Red Sox star David Ortiz.

"I had to kind of look away a few times," Bergeron said. "It was pretty special to hear from all these guys."

He had set up two other goals before beating goalie Jonathan Quick with a wrister from the right circle for the game-winner.

"To get the win was very special," he said. "That's what I said on the bench -- `We've got to find a way' -- and we did."

Marchand, David Krejci and Danton Heinen each scored a goal in a 3:22 span early in the third period to give the Bruins a 4-2 edge before the Kings came back. Los Angeles tied it on Oscar Fantenberg's slap shot from the point with 4:47 left in regulation for his first goal of the season.

"The guys battled back," Kings coach Willie Desjardins said. "Was a little disappointing to start the third. We could have been better at the start of the third for sure."

Nate Thompson's goal cut it to 4-3 with 10:41 to play.

Charlie McAvoy had the other goal and Tuukka Rask stopped 25 shots for Boston, including Adrian Kempe's breakaway in the first minute of OT. The Bruins have collected at least a point in eight of their last 10 games (4-2-4).

Alex Iafallo and Anze Kopitar also scored for the Kings, who had their three-game winning streak snapped. Quick made 28 saves.

Krejci gave the Bruins a 3-2 lead just 90 seconds after Heinen tied it early in the third. Skating in on rush, Torey Krug fired a shot off the right post before Krejci sent the rebound into the net.

Heinen had banged in a rebound from the edge of the crease 3:27 into the third.

The Bruins then took their two-goal lead when Marchand converted a perfect pass from Bergeron for a short-handed goal at the end of a 2-on-1 break.

Trailing 1-0 midway into the second period, the Kings scored twice in just under six minutes to move ahead. With Krejci in the penalty box for slashing, they tied it on Iafallo's power-play goal at 8:13, a shot from the right point that caromed in off Rask.

Kopitar made it 2-1 when he one-timed a pass from Dustin Brown from the bottom of the right circle at 14:02.

"We worked hard to get the 2-1 lead and we kind of feel asleep there," Los Angeles forward Brendan Leipsic said.

The Bruins had moved ahead 1-0 when Bergeron set up McAvoy's goal 4:38 into the second. Bergeron collected a pass down low, twisted his hands quickly and made an off-balance feed to McAvoy, who was coming hard down the middle toward the net.

Quick made a couple of nice stops late in the scoreless first. The best was when he came across the crease to block Peter Cehlarik's shot from the bottom of the right circle.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 56

2 1 OT

Marchand's OT goal lifts Bruins over Avalanche 2-1

Brad Marchand knocks in a goal in overtime to break a 1-1 tie and carry the Bruins to a 2-1 victory over the Avalanche.

BOSTON -- Brad Marchand has a knack for the net in overtime. A lucky bounce helped him get another winner for the Bruins on Sunday.

Marchand scored 4:03 into the extra period after his shot deflected off an opponent's skate, extending Boston's points streak to seven games with a 2-1 victory over the Colorado Avalanche.

Patrice Bergeron left the puck at the top of the right circle for Marchand, who skated into the slot and inadvertently used Matt Calvert's skate to get the puck past goalie Semyon Varlamov.

Marchand extended his franchise record with his 14th career overtime goal.

"We got a lucky bounce, and we'll take it," Marchand said.

John Moore also scored and Jaroslav Halak made 35 saves for the Bruins, who improved to 4-0-3 in their last seven.

Boston (31-17-8) moved one point ahead of rival Montreal for third place in the Atlantic Division and trails second-place Toronto by a point.

"It was a needed point for us," said Halak, who snapped a personal five-game skid. "The standing in our division, it's tight, and it's going to be a race until the end so we need to keep getting points right now."

Nathan MacKinnon scored his 29th goal for Colorado, tying Gabriel Landeskog for the team lead. Varlamov had 33 saves as the Avs lost their seventh in a row (0-3-3) but earned a point with a third straight overtime loss.

"Tonight's just a wrist shot that happens to hit our guy's foot and changes direction," Colorado coach Jared Bednar said.

Colorado (22-22-11) fell 4-3 in OT at Washington on Thursday before losing by the same score Saturday against the Islanders in New York.

"This is kind of the luck we've been having with it," Bednar said. "We're working on it, we're watching video on it, guys are paying attention to what we're saying and defending hard 3-on-3."

Bednar called his team's three-game points streak "a huge step forward," but the sentiment differed inside the Avs' locker room.

"It's just not good enough," Varlamov said. "We've got to find a way to win in overtime."

The Avalanche sit four points out of the second wild-card spot in the Western Conference.

MacKinnon gained control of the puck in the corner before charging the net and beating Halak high on the glove side for the game's first goal with 32.1 seconds left in the first.

Boston tied it on Moore's goal nearly four minutes into the second. The veteran defenseman's wrist shot from atop the left circle found its way past a screened Varlamov for his third goal of the season.

MacKinnon's perfectly-timed exit from the penalty box during a Bruins power play midway through the period resulted in a breakaway, but he hesitated and jammed the puck against Halak's blocker.

Moore nearly scored another when he dumped the puck into the Avs' zone, only to have it take a wild bounce off the glass and zip past an unsuspecting Varlamov with 24.1 seconds left in the second. The referees waved it off, saying the puck went out of play after hitting the curved glass next to Boston's bench.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 57

6 3

Bruins beat Blackhawks 6-3, snap Chicago's 7-game win streak

David Krejci accounts for two of the Bruins' six goals as they defeat the Blackhawks 6-3 and defend home ice.

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins needed someone to replace David Pastrnak's production while their leading scorer recovers from thumb surgery.

For one night, at least, they found the solution: just about everyone.

David Krejci, Danton Heinen and Brad Marchand each scored during a four-minute span at the end of the first period and the Boston Bruins beat the Blackhawks 6-3 on Tuesday night to snap Chicago's seven-game winning streak.

"We're going to need contributions from everybody with Pasta going down like that," Marchand said, singling out Heinen and Jake DeBrusk, who each had a goal and two assists. "It's great to see them add so much depth to our group. We need that to continue."

Krejci scored again in the third period, when Marchand picked up his third assist, to help the Bruins win for the fifth time in six games. Peter Cehlarik also scored for Boston and Patrice Bergeron had a pair of assists on the day that general manager Don Sweeney announced that Pastrnak would miss at least two weeks after injuring a tendon in his left thumb.

"It doesn't hurt (to score a lot) when your best scorer goes down," said Tuukka Rask, who stopped 23 shots. "Six goals, that's good for the goalie."

Collin Delia made 31 saves, and Alex DeBrincat and Duncan Keith scored for Chicago, which hadn't lost since Jan. 17. Patrick Kane had an assist for the 14th straight game, tying Stan Mikita for the longest assist streak in the history of the Original Six franchise.

"We had a really good run. I think we built a lot of confidence within ourselves," Keith said. "We know what we were doing well and what we were doing to have success, and tonight we only did that in spurts. Against a good team like Boston, they're going to make you pay. And they did."

DeBrincat scored about four minutes into the game, wristing a long, seemingly harmless shot that trickled through Rask's pads. The Bruins killed off a 5-on-3 power play and then Krejci tied it with about five minutes left in the period.

Heinen gave Boston the lead less than a minute later, and another 3:23 later Marchand made it 3-1. DeBrusk gave Boston a 4-1 lead late in the second.

"When you kill a 5-on-3 I can tell you your whole bench gets picked up," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "The skill guys want to go out there and reward the (penalty) killers."

Boston failed to capitalize on a two-man advantage of its own, but the Bruins did have two power play goals -- even without Pastrnak, who was tied for ninth in the NHL with 66 points and is seventh with 31 goals.

General manager Don Sweeney said earlier Tuesday that the 22-year-old forward was injured when he fell Sunday night after attending a team sponsorship dinner. According to Sweeney, the doctor will re-evaluate the injury and the timetable in two weeks, but Pastrnak is expected to return this season.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 58

3 0

Bruins beat Ducks 3-0 for 4th straight win

Jake DeBrusk scores a power-play goal in the second period as the Bruins shutout the Ducks 3-0.

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Boston Bruins have been trending in the right direction for a while.

Jaroslav Halak is starting to round into form again.

Halak made 30 saves in his fourth shutout of the season, and the Bruins beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-0 on Friday night for their fourth consecutive victory.

"It's a team effort all the time," Halak said. "Like anytime we win a game or I get a shutout, it has to be everybody on the same page and I think tonight we were for 95 percent of it, and that makes you successful. We opened up the trip on the right note."

Noel Acciari and Jake DeBrusk scored for the Bruins, who have earned at least a point in nine consecutive games. Chris Wagner added an empty-netter with 1:31 remaining.

Halak has won consecutive starts since a 1-4-2 stretch during which he allowed 23 goals. Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy attributed the rough patch to the defense's inability to clear traffic from in front of the net and give the Slovakian goalie a chance to see the puck.

"He had a real hot streak at the start, cooled off a little," Cassidy said. "A product of both those streaks is usually the team in front of you. You play well, they keep the net clear, the goalie is going to look good."

Halak did his part, denying Corey Perry on an odd-man rush that was set up by Rickard Rakell's stellar backhand pass in the opening minute of the second period.

Halak also got some help when defenseman Brandon Carlo deflected Brandon Montour's follow-up shot of a breakaway by Ducks rookie forward Max Jones late in the first period.

Jones didn't have the angle he wanted initially and hesitated to shoot after racing past three Bruins at the blue line, allowing Halak to square up and make the initial save.

"A couple of times I got help from my D by clearing the puck or making a save for me, but I think it was a good effort," said Halak, who got his 46th career shutout.

Acciari put the Bruins in front 5:31 into the first period when he tipped Carlo's powerful slap shot past Boyle, ending a 16-game scoreless streak.

The Bruins made it 2-0 on DeBrusk's power-play goal 5:07 into the second. Anaheim goalie Kevin Boyle got caught out of position after challenging David Krejci, who easily skated past the rookie and fed DeBrusk for an easy tap-in. DeBrusk scored for the second straight game.

"Yeah, I was grinding for that one, that's for sure," DeBrusk joked. "It was pretty much lying in the crease and I had a front-row view to it, and it was just nice to be in the right place at the right time and help the team."

The Ducks have dropped 20 of their past 23 games. They have been shut out three times in their past nine games and scored a total of nine goals in that span.

"You can't expect to shut teams out every night," Ducks defenseman Josh Manson said. "It's unfortunate, but we know we have to score. It doesn't change anything for us."

Boyle made 26 saves.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 59

4 2

Bruins knock off Kings 4-2 for 5th straight win

Alex Iafallo thinks he has a goal, but Tuukka Rask makes the highlight-reel save to keep the game tied.

LOS ANGELES -- Charlie McAvoy and the Boston Bruins made one last push in the third period.

It worked.

McAvoy scored with 1:13 remaining, and the Bruins beat the Los Angeles Kings 4-2 on Saturday night for their fifth consecutive victory.

McAvoy scored on a backhand after Alex Iafallo tied it for Los Angeles 15:37 into the third period. Patrice Bergeron added an insurance goal at 19:23.

"You've got to win in a lot of different ways if you want to be a good hockey club so tonight, it was not that we were behind but it looked like the game was going to get away from us late there and a quick turn of events it goes our way," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said.

The Bruins improved to 7-0-3 in their past 10 games. Jake DeBrusk scored for the third consecutive game, Brad Marchand got his 23rd of the season and Tuukka Rask made 23 saves.

Ilya Kovalchuk had a power-play goal for the Kings, who have lost four straight. Jack Campbell, a surprise starter with Jonathan Quick out because of an illness, made 20 saves.

Los Angeles appeared to have the momentum after Rask's kick save of a shot by defenseman Paul LaDue went right to Iafallo for his 12th goal of the season, and Marchand was whistled for a hooking penalty on Kings center Jeff Carter 23 seconds later. But the Bruins did not allow a shot on the ensuing Kings power play.

"Very proud of how we played in the third," said Rask, who won his fifth straight start. "Even after they tied the game, a few minutes left and then we get a penalty, we did a great job with that penalty kill. It just shows how resilient our group is."

Kings captain Anze Kopitar shattered his stick over the crossbar of his own net after McAvoy scored, which he attributed to anger over his defending on the play and frustration from the team's inability to produce with the man advantage.

"With four minutes left and having a power play in a tie game, we have to find a way to score," Kopitar said. "We didn't even get in the zone. That's embarrassing."

Rask did his part to stifle the Kings, making a brilliant save on Iafallo late in the second period. Rask is 11-0-2 in his past 13 starts.

"He was the biggest reason why we won the game tonight, obviously," DeBrusk said. "He was holding the fort down and it was impressive to watch."

Game notes

DeBrusk set a career high with his 17th goal of the season. ... Bruins F Karson Kuhlman played 9:47 in his NHL debut. Kuhlman was captain of Minnesota-Duluth's 2018 national championship team and named most outstanding player of the NCAA tournament that season.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 60

6 5 OT

McAvoy's OT goal sends Bruins to 6th straight win

Joe Thornton records his first hat trick since 2010 in San Jose's 6-5 loss to Boston.

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A controversial non-call helped the Boston Bruins avoid what would have been a dispiriting loss. Then an unexpected source extended their winning streak.

Charlie McAvoy scored the game-winning goal in overtime and the Boston Bruins beat the San Jose Sharks 6-5 on Monday night in a game featuring two of the NHL's hottest teams.

McAvoy's fourth goal of the season came with 1:01 left in overtime.

After blowing an early three-goal lead, the Bruins trailed 5-4 with 1:49 left in the game when Chris Wagner tied it with his eighth goal of the season.

The Sharks said Wagner should have been called for high sticking in front of the net just before he slipped the puck past Sharks goalie Martin Jones.

"I think I got it shoulder length," Wagner said. "They didn't call a high stick so I knew it was good. It was a good break for us. It's pretty cool, we score six goals and we're on a roll."

The Bruins won their season-best sixth straight game and extended their point streak to 11 games (8-0-3).

"There were some funny goals and some lucky ones. In the end, let's take the two points," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said.

Boston moved three points ahead of Toronto for second place in the Atlantic Division.

"We saw the replay and it's just unfortunate the refs can't (review) it," Sharks center Joe Thornton said of Wagner's goal. "Tough break, but definitely an entertaining game tonight."

The Sharks lost despite Thornton's fifth career hat trick.

San Jose had won seven of their previous eight games and 14 of 18 going into Monday. They fell out of a tie for first place with Calgary, which defeated Arizona.

Thornton's hat trick was his first since Oct. 27, 2010, against the New Jersey Devils. Thornton's first two hat tricks came when he was playing for Boston, the team with which he spent his first eight seasons.

"It was a spectacular night for him, considering it's his first NHL team, the history behind that," Sharks coach Peter DeBoer said. "Couldn't have written a better script other than winning the game."

Thornton's third goal and 13th of the season broke a 4-4 tie at 13:32 of the third period.

Tuukka Rask had 38 saves for Boston. The Bruins scored three goals in the span of less than five minutes to take a big early lead.

Torey Krug got the Bruins with a power play goal (his sixth) at 13:49 of the first period.

Zdeno Chara followed it with his fourth goal and rookie Karson Kuhlman scored his first career goal with 1:34 left in the period.

Jones had 20 saves.

"It was one of those games that went back and forth. Some missed calls, things happen that affect the game," Bruins forward Jake DeBrusk said. "It was big to come out on top of this one."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 61

3 2 SO

Backes scores shootout winner, Bruins top Golden Knights 3-2

David Backes scores in the sixth round of the shootout, as the Bruins top the Golden Knights 3-2.

LAS VEGAS -- David Backes didn't know what to think when Boston Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy called his number in the sixth round of a shootout Wednesday night against the Vegas Golden Knights.

So, he didn't.

Instead, Backes took instruction from teammate Brad Marchand, skated in stick side on veteran goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury and scored the game-winner low-glove side to lift Boston to a 3-2 win over the Golden Knights for the Bruins' season-high seventh straight victory.

"I was still in shock when he called my name with some of the guys that hadn't gone yet," Backes said. "I thought there was at least a handful before me, but got the call and went out there, I'm a shooter by nature ... I tried low glove and it worked out and good ending to the fourth game of our trip. He's an all-world goalie altogether, but in shootouts he's lights out."

Jake DeBrusk and Brad Marchand scored in regulation for Boston, which is 8-1-1 in its last 10 on the road -- including wins in the first four games of a western trip. The Bruins' win streak is their longest since a 12-game run in 2014.

Jaroslav Halak stopped 31 shots and has now won his last three starts, allowing just three goals along the way.

"It was a battle, I thought the first period they were better than us, but I think as the game went on, we started playing better," Halak said. "I think we battled through it. I was happy going into overtime, at least we get a point. And that extra point for us, I think, is huge."

The Bruins, who are 9-0-3 in their last 12 overall, haven't lost in regulation since a 3-2 setback to the New York Rangers on Jan. 19. Boston improved to 11-2-2 against Pacific Division opponents and 18-4-4 versus Western Conference foes.

"I thought it was a good hockey game, it could have went either way, similar type teams I think," Cassidy said. "The whole month we've been good, consistent. Part of that is to do with our lineup has become consistent because our injured guys are back. They've got some time under their belt. We had a lot of different guys in and out, so we're gaining some chemistry again."

With the win, second-place Boston increased its lead in the Atlantic Division over Toronto to four points.

Meanwhile, Vegas fell to 3-6-1 in February and 3-8 since Jan. 21. The Golden Knights, who have been outscored 40-27 during their 11-game skid, are 1-5-1 in their last seven games at home.

Reilly Smith and Nate Schmidt scored for Vegas, while Fleury finished with 25 saves. Fleury has lost four in a row and seven of his last nine starts. He has allowed 19 goals in last five starts, and 28 in the nine-game span.

"We got one point and played a great game," Vegas coach Gerard Gallant said. "I'm tired of saying the (other team's) goalie was the first star, but he played great and we hit a couple posts. I think if we played the game over, we'd probably win it. But it was a great hockey game. I thought it was a playoff atmosphere against a great team. Were we disappointed we didn't get two points? Definitely. But I'm not going to fault our group for that effort. They played real well and worked hard. They did exactly what I wanted."

DeBrusk scored for Boston in the first round of the shootout and William Karlsson tied it for Vegas in the second.

DeBrusk got things going for the Bruins 11 minutes into the game, when he put a nifty spin move on Vegas defenseman Shea Theodore as he collected a pass from David Krejci and fired a wrist shot past Fleury to give Boston a 1-0 lead. Smith tied it late in the first period when he punched home a rebound from Cody Eakin's shot from the point.

Marchand gave the Bruins a brief lead, as he took a pass from Danton Heinen and beat Fleury with a blast 69 seconds into the third. Schmidt raced past McAvoy, collected the puck and snapped a backhand over Halak to tie the game just 27 seconds later.

"I think just in general our team knows, this time a year you gotta play together, play the right way and I think that's a credit to the leadership and that's why we've won games," Cassidy said. "It's not just one thing, it's a combination of playing solid hockey."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 62

1 2 SO

Blais scores shootout winner, Blues beat Bruins 2-1

Sammy Blais waits for Tuukka Rask to commit, then roofs what would be the deciding goal in the Blues' 2-1 shootout win over the Bruins.

ST. LOUIS -- Sammy Blais didn't expect his name to be called in the shootout. He was ready when the opportunity came.

Blais scored in the sixth round of the tiebreaker to lift the St. Louis Blues to a 2-1 victory over the Boston Bruins on Saturday.

"I thought they would choose someone else," Blais said. "But it worked out, so I was pretty happy about that."

Blais, who was recalled from San Antonio of the AHL on Thursday, was not even sure he would dress for the game. He took regular shifts in regulation and overtime, but was stunned when interim coach Craig Berube selected him as the shootout grinded along.

"You have a feel," Berube said. "He's got good hands, he can score."

Alexander Steen scored in regulation for St. Louis, which had a franchise-record 11-game winning streak snapped on Thursday in Dallas. Jordan Binnington stopped 31 shots through overtime and then five more in the shootout to improve to 14-2-1.

"This was fun," said Binnington, who has four shutouts but was in a shootout for the first time. "It was big game for us, so we're happy for that extra point."

Chris Wagner scored for the Bruins, who had a seven-game win streak snapped but earned a point for the 13th consecutive game. Tuukka Rask made 28 saves.

Tyler Bozak also scored for St. Louis in the shootout, and Charlie Coyle had a goal for Boston.

Blais patiently waited out Rask, holding the puck until the goalie went down before lifting it high from a wide angle.

"When he went down a little bit, I saw an opening," Blais said. "It worked."

Rask waited until the very last second before making his move.

"I thought I had my leg there," Rask said. "But I couldn't get it close enough. He made a great shot."

Steen scored for the first time in 27 games to give St. Louis a lead in the first period lead. He whipped a wrist shot from the faceoff circle past Rask on the Blues first shot of the contest at 7:15.

Wagner tied it in the second by converting off a past from Kevan Miller.

Coyle was making made his debut for the Bruins. He was acquired in trade with Minnesota for Ryan Donato and fifth-round draft pick on Wednesday. Coyle played 16:36 and won eight of 12 faceoffs.

The Bruins went without a regulation loss during the five-game road trip that including three consecutive one-goal games.

"The guys had some fun together, they bonded," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "At the end of the day, I'm happy with the we played."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 63

4 1

Marchand has goal, 2 assists as Bruins beat Sharks 4-1

Brad Marchand has no help, but is able to deke out Erik Karlsson and go 5-hole for the shorthanded goal in Boston's 4-1 win vs. San Jose.

BOSTON -- After an even first period, the Boston Bruins dominated San Jose in the second and outslugged the Sharks in the third.

The Bruins continued to surge in the Eastern Conference standings with a 4-1 win over the Sharks on Tuesday night, Boston's eighth victory in nine games and 14th straight with at least one point.

"It's nice to get those plays here and there, but it's really just off of playing strong, good hockey," said Brad Marchand, who had a goal and two assists.

Charlie McAvoy and Jake DeBrusk scored 37 seconds apart in the second period and David Krejci had a goal in the first for the Bruins, who were back at home for the first time in two weeks.

The win set up a showdown Thursday with the NHL-leading Tampa Bay Lightning, who still hold a 17-point lead over the second-place Bruins in the Atlantic Division.

The Bruins outscored the Sharks 3-0 in the second and held San Jose to just four shots in the period.

"We take a lot of pride in our game, especially the defensive part of it," said captain Zdeno Chara, whose fight with San Jose's Evander Kane early in the third set the tone for the final period.

Logan Couture scored for San Jose, and Martin Jones stopped 28 shots. The Sharks, who lost to the Bruins for the second time in eight days, wrapped up a 2-2 Eastern Conference swing.

"I thought the first 10 minutes of the second, we started to get some legs and grab some momentum. I liked our game, then within a minute and a half, we're down 3-1 after a couple mistakes," San Jose coach Peter DeBoer said. "But that's what a good team does to you and I think the game ran away from us from there."

The Bruins, who had won seven straight before a 2-1 shootout loss at St. Louis on Saturday, broke the game open in the second, scoring three times and just missing on several more opportunities during a flurry late in the period.

McAvoy scored 9:09 into the second to put the Bruins up 2-1 on a wrist shot from the slot. DeBrusk scored 37 seconds later after forcing a turnover at the blue line and starting a 3-on-1.

Marcus Johansson, traded to Boston from New Jersey on Monday, assisted on DeBrusk's goal in his Bruins debut.

"It means a lot, especially this time of year. We can't always rely on the same guys," Chara said. "It's very important that we have other guys stepping up and making plays."

Marchand made it 4-1 when he split a pair of defenders in the San Jose zone and got in alone on Jones for a short-handed goal 12:28 into the second.

Couture put San Jose up 1-0 on a power-play goal 12:47 into the game. Krejci tied it on a power play less than two minutes later with a one-timer from the left circle. Torey Krug and Marchand assisted.

Things got chippy early in the third period, when Kane received a game misconduct after a fight with the 6-foot-9 Chara. The 6-foot-2 Kane took an elbow from the Boston captain and went directly after him for a one-sided bout that left him bleeding from a facial cut.

Kane said he was upset when he didn't see a penalty was being called on Chara, then jumped him from behind.

"It was a hit right to my face," Kane said. "If I'm going to be officiated in a different way, what am I supposed to do beside defend myself?"

Chara was called for elbowing, Kane for instigating and both received 10-minute misconducts and fighting majors. Kane spent 29 seconds in the penalty box before something he said got him tossed from the game 3:51 into the third.

Boston's David Backes and San Jose's Michael Haley dropped the gloves five seconds later.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 64

4 1

Acciari's Toughness Was on Full Display

Two days after puck to mouth, forward notches first multi-point game in B's win over Tampa

by Eric Russo @NHLBruins / BostonBruins.com

BOSTON - Bruce Cassidy did not hold back when describing Noel Acciari's condition on Wednesday afternoon.

"Noel had extensive dental work done this morning," Cassidy said after Acciari missed practice to deal with the aftermath of a Brent Burns clear attempt to the mouth on Tuesday night against the Sharks.

"I don't believe there's anything long term, like jaw or anything broken, but there's some teeth that are all over the place, so we'll see how he is in the morning."

Even for a hockey player, having "teeth that are all over the place" to the point that "extensive dental work" is needed probably doesn't bode well for their chances of playing the following day.

As such, Cassidy was planning to be without his fourth-line center for the Bruins' showdown with the league-leading Lightning on Thursday night.

Ultimately, alternative preparations were not needed.

Acciari reported to the rink for pregame skate and declared himself ready to play, despite two missing teeth and stitches dotting both the upper and lower parts of his lip.

"No," the 27-year-old said when asked if he ever thought about not suiting up against Tampa. "I always anticipated on playing. I mean, I'm OK with pain so…"

So…let's just say Acciari is most definitely a hockey guy.

The Rhode Island native, donning a fish bowl-style face shield, played, perhaps, the best game of his career, notching a goal - the eventual winner with 8:13 to play - and an assist to lift the Bruins to a 4-1 victory over the Lightning and extend Boston's points streak to 15 games.

"He wants to play in these games," said Cassidy, whose club finished February at 11-0-2. "He's valuable in these types of games. We need him to be a hard guy to play against when they have that much skill, so he came through for us tonight."

Acciari was a bull at both ends of the ice, landing a game-high five hits, while also firing four shots on goal - the second-highest total of his four-year career. The goal and assist, meanwhile, marked his first ever multi-point game.

"Especially in this group here, it takes a lot more than a puck to the mouth to keep a guy out of the game," said Brad Marchand, who picked up his 26th goal of the season. "You see what guys consistently play through here with broken bones and holes in their lungs and kidney stones and stuff like that…hockey players don't sit out because they have a sore thumb."

That toughness, grit, and energy is exactly why Boston's fourth line of Acciari, Sean Kuraly, and Chris Wagner is routinely called upon by Cassidy to start games - which was the case again on Thursday - and match up against the opposing team's top line.

"Coach has got a lot of confidence in us to get us out to a good start, and we just try to get the puck in deep and just kind of go to work like the line we are. We're strong on pucks and that's what we try to think of every night," said Acciari, who will require more dental work to finish patching up the damage to his chops once the swelling subsides.

After a number of high-end chances over the opening two periods, the trio finally broke through just past the midway point of the third period giving the Bruins a boost at just the right time.

With Kuraly having left the game earlier in the frame after taking a heavy hit behind the Tampa Bay net, Joakim Nordstrom slid down to take his spot and it was his heavy forecheck that helped set things in motion.

Nordstrom closed in on Lightning goalie Louis Domingue behind the net, forcing the backstop to rim the puck around the boards. Acciari, entering the zone fresh off a line change, pinched down the wall to knock the puck away from Nikita Kucherov and tap it over to Wagner, whose shot off of Domingue's pad ricocheted into the slot.

Acciari was there to bang home the rebound and give Boston a 2-0 advantage with 8:13 to play.

"I just picked the puck up off the wall, and gave it to Wags and Wags had a great shot low pad and it just happened to bounce right in front of me and I was able to tap it in," said Acciari, whose tally set off a span of three Bruins goals in 1:28 that extended their lead to 4-0.

The second goal of that sequence came off the stick of Patrice Bergeron just 45 seconds after Acciari's marker, and it all began with another strong play by Acciari at the Bruins' blue line to knock the puck away from Brayden Point. Danton Heinen corralled the loose puck and got Boston moving back up the ice, where he eventually found Bergeron for the centerman's 22nd goal of the season.

"We knew if he was fine there was no doubt he was going to play," said Cassidy. "He's got the magic bubble on that seems to work for our players. All of a sudden instant offense, so we'll see if we can find a few more of those."

Cassidy was, of course, referring to Acciari's linemate Kuraly, who after suffering a broken nose on Dec. 9 in a fight with Ottawa's Ben Harpur, was forced to wear the "bubble" mask for the ensuing six weeks. During that time - a span of 19 games - Kuraly picked up five goals and five assists, including back-to-back game-winning tallies in Buffalo on Dec. 29 and at the Winter Classic against Chicago on New Year's Day.

"Sean was like, 'It's a lucky helmet - they're lucky bubbles, so good things will come,'" said Acciari. "And he was right."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 65

1 0

Marchand's goal keeps Bruins rolling with 1-0 win vs. Devils

Marchand scores game's lone goalPatrice Bergeron makes a terrific pass to Brad Marchand, who lights the lamp in Boston's 1-0 win against New Jersey.

BOSTON -- Tuukka Rask had a perfect spot to watch most of the action.

Fortunately for the Boston Bruins, the few times he had to go to work, he was ready.

Brad Marchand scored a power-play goal early in the opening period and Rask made it stand up with 20 saves in a relatively easy night for his third shutout of the season, lifting the surging Bruins to a 1-0 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Saturday night.

"I think it comes with the experience," Rask said of his light night. "You just kind of hang out, watch the game, take it like a practice. You start thinking too much and you kind of (hurt) yourself. You let your experience come in."

The victory improved the Bruins' streak of at least one point in every game to 16 straight (12-0-4) and they haven't lost in regulation since a 3-2 setback to the New York Rangers on Jan. 19. It's their longest since 18 games (14-0-4) last season.

Rask is 14-0-3 in his last 17 starts.

"Goalies are human, too," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "They have a tendency to let their foot off, so to speak, and take a mental breather. . He's really in a zone right now. It looked like one of his easier shutouts, but these games are sometimes harder because you don't get a lot of action and you've got to stay focused."

Mackenzie Blackwood stopped 29 shots for the Devils, including Marchand's penalty shot. New Jersey has lost five of seven.

"You realize it's 1-nothing, but it's not like I feel a ton of pressure to not let another one in," he said. "It's more so I want to keep feeling good about my game to give the guys a chance."

It was the first time the Devils have been shut out since a 3-0 loss to Columbus on Dec. 23.

"We made a good first pass," New Jersey defenseman Andy Greene said. "It was maybe that second and third play coming out of our zone."

With Kenny Agostino in the penalty box for interfering with Rask, Marchand beat Blackwood with a wrister from the bottom of the right circle just 14 seconds into the power play after collecting a pass from Bergeron at 2:37. It was Bergeron's 793rd career point, moving him into a sixth-place tie with Wayne Cashman on Boston's all-time scoring list.

Marchand had his penalty shot after getting hooked by defenseman Damon Severson almost five minutes after his goal, but Blackwood made a right-pad stop.

Rask made a nice left-pad stop on winger Jesper Bratt, who cut in alone midway into the final period, bringing a loud roar from the crowd looking for some offense by the Bruins.

In the second period, the Bruins outshot the Devils 10-4, getting a couple of good chances in the final minute that Blackwood turned aside.

CAN'T MAKE THIS UP

Marchand played his 666th career game and entered the contest with 666 career penalty minutes against, yep, the Devils.

TO THE RESCUE

Bruins winger Jake DeBrusk, manning the front, with defenseman Charlie McAvoy carrying the rear, came jogging down a hallway holding a ladder to get a soccer ball down that was caught in some pipes in the ceiling about an hour before the game.

Typically, a group of players kick the ball to each other in a circle wearing shorts and T-shirts before they get into their uniforms for warmups.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 66

4 3 OT

Krejci scores in OT, Bruins beat Hurricanes 4-3

Krejci's OT goal wins it for BostonDavid Krejci scores the game-winner in overtime as the Bruins knock off the Hurricanes 4-3.

BOSTON -- Jake DeBrusk had a goal, an assist and one very big steal to help the Boston Bruins keep rolling toward the playoffs.

DeBrusk stole the puck deep in Carolina's zone and made a centering pass to David Krejci for the game-winner 1:46 into overtime as the Bruins beat the Hurricanes 4-3 on Tuesday night.

"He just put it on my tape," Krejci said. "J.D. made it pretty easy for me."

Krejci assisted on DeBrusk's goal in the second period and both finished with a goal and an assist.

Chris Wanger and Patrice Bergeron also scored for the Bruins, who rallied from a 2-0 deficit and have earned at least a point in 17 straight games.

"We weren't really playing our style and kind of playing into Carolina's hands," DeBrusk said of Boston's slow start Tuesday.

Sebastian Aho scored twice for Carolina. Justin Williams also scored for the Hurricanes, and Curtis McElhinney finished with 34 saves.

The Hurricanes had won five straight, but still salvaged a point after entering the night in playoff position at No. 6 in the Eastern Conference standings.

"At the end of the day we were up and we've got to find a way to not let them get back into the game," Carolina coach Rod Brind'Amour said.

Brind'Amour said mistakes by his club helped lead to each of Boston's goals, including Bergeron's short-handed tally 2:45 into the third that put the Bruins up 3-2.

"They're good enough to get their own offense. We don't need to give it to them and that's the disturbing part," Brind'Amour said.

Another mistake that stood out was a crucial turnover in overtime. DeBrusk delivered a check on Carolina defenseman Justin Faulk and swiped the puck in the process, skating behind the net to the opposite corner, and then spun around with a perfect pass for Krejci.

"He just stripped the guy," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "Most defensemen don't think that's going to happen and all of a sudden, he's got the puck and throwing it to the crease."

Bergeron's short-handed goal came on a one-timer on a 2-on-1 with Brad Marchand.

The lead held until Williams' slap shot from the point tied it again with 7:43 left.

Aho gave Carolina a 1-0 lead 6:30 into the game when he deflected in a shot by Calvin de Haan. Then Aho got free for a breakaway inside Boston's blue line and beat Halak 1:10 into the second to put Carolina up 2-0.

Wagner pulled Boston within 2-1 when he poked in his own rebound after tipping a slap shot by Brandon Carlo. DeBrusk scored on another rebound with 1:46 left in the second to tie it at 2-all after Krejci brought the puck in and got a shot off on McElhinney.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 67

4 3

Bergeron, Bruins rally past Panthers to extend points streak

Bergeron scores with 6.7 seconds left to win it for BostonThe Panthers leave Patrice Bergeron unmarked and he burns them for a goal with 6.7 seconds left in the Bruins' 4-3 win.

BOSTON -- Fatigue has become the biggest threat to the Boston Bruins' impressive points streak. They found a way to fight through it for the second time this week.

Patrice Bergeron scored twice, including the winner with 7.2 seconds remaining as the Bruins came from two goals down to beat the Florida Panthers 4-3 Thursday night, pushing their points streak to a league-best 18 games.

Boston also trailed by two in Tuesday's 4-3 overtime win against Carolina before finding itself in the same situation versus Florida. This time, the Bruins needed two goals in the final minute to preserve the streak.

"I felt like we were tired tonight, especially early on," Bergeron said. "I can't say that I knew all along we had it. Obviously it wasn't our best game by any means or (a) perfect game, but it's obviously the resiliency that you want to see."

Brad Marchand won a battle in the corner and shuffled the puck to Bergeron, who fired a wrist shot from the left circle past screened Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo to cap the Bruins' improbable comeback.

David Krejci and Matt Grzelcyk also scored for the Bruins, who are 14-0-4 during their points streak. It matched its second-longest points streak in team history after a similar run last season and 15-0-3 mark in the 1940-41 season. Tuukka Rask made 22 saves to extend his personal points streak to 18 games (15-0-3).

"(We're a) special group, for sure. It's in our DNA now that we just don't give up," Rask said. "We go about our business and just battle `till the end. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't."

Jonathan Huberdeau scored twice and Aleksander Barkov also had a goal for the Panthers, who lost their sixth straight (0-2-4). Luongo finished with 24 saves.

"It's the most disappointing loss this year I think the way and the fashion it happened," Florida coach Bob Boughner said. "No one has beaten this team in regulation in 17 games, now 18. I feel we should've been that team and all that was taken away in less than a couple minutes. It hurts."

Boston fell behind 3-2 with 9:08 remaining when Huberdeau charged into the Bruins' zone and skated around Zdeno Chara before executing a nifty spin move in the right circle and slinging the puck past Rask for his second goal.

Grzelcyk pulled Boston even on his one-timer near the blue line on a power play with 36.5 seconds to play before Bergeron won it.

"We were 30 seconds away from a perfect, 60-minute game," Barkov said. "We came here and wanted to end (their streak) and get the win and move forward. But then those last 30 seconds, they hurt a lot."

The Panthers grabbed a 2-0 lead with a pair of power-play goals early in the second.

Less than 30 seconds after Brandon Carlo was whistled for tripping, Barkov tipped in Keith Yandle's straightaway shot after Huberdeau corralled the puck along the boards and set him up to make it 1-0 at 2:48. It was Barkov's 29th goal, moving him one behind team leader Mike Hoffman.

Huberdeau batted a puck out of midair in the slot for Florida's second tally nearly four minutes later and 30 seconds into Chara's delay of game penalty. The goal was upheld after a brief review for high-sticking.

Krejci polished off a give-and-go for Boston with 9:31 left in the second. The Bruins' alternate captain struggled to get a handle on Danton Heinen's return feed through the slot, but still got enough on the shot to beat a sprawling Luongo.

Boston capitalized on a Panthers giveaway for a short-handed goal as Bergeron scored on a wrister behind the left circle with 11:10 remaining to tie it at 2.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 68

3 2

Krejci's late goal helps Bruins extend points streak to 19

Bruins' late-game magic continues with Krejci goal

David Krejci redirects a Danton Heinen shot from the point with 44.7 seconds left to hand the Bruins a 3-2 win over the Senators.

BOSTON -- The points -- and comebacks -- keep coming for the Boston Bruins.

David Krejci scored on a tip-in with 44.7 seconds left and the Bruins extended their NHL-best run of 19 straight games with a point by beating the Ottawa Senators 3-2 Saturday night.

"It's a nice number," Krejci said. "We know what we're playing here for, and obviously (tonight was a) good finish from the team."

This was Boston's third come-from-behind victory this week. Brad Marchand and Chris Wagner also scored for the Bruins, who improved to 15-0-4 in their last 19 to establish the second-longest points streak in franchise history -- the 1940-41 club holds the team mark with 15 wins and eight ties over a 23-game run.

Boston trailed by two in Tuesday's 4-3 overtime win against Carolina before falling into the same hole in Thursday's 4-3 win over Florida.

Ottawa led by a goal early in the third before Wagner's tying goal set up Krejci's winner.

Danton Heinen skated into the slot and took a wrist shot that Krejci re-directed past Senators goalie Craig Anderson, giving Boston its sixth straight win overall and 10th in a row at home.

"Obviously it would be nice to play with the lead, but at the end of the day two points is two points," Krejci said. "We'll take it."

Tuukka Rask made 17 saves to improve his personal points streak to 19 games (16-0-3).

Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Brady Tkachuk each had goals for Ottawa, which has lost 10 of its last 11 (1-9-1). Anderson is winless in his last 13 appearance dating to a 4-3 overtime victory against Nashville on Dec. 17.

"I thought we probably deserved a better fate," Anderson said. "We played a pretty good, solid game overall, and attention to details (cost us) near the end."

The Senators dropped to 1-3-1 since firing coach Guy Boucher last Friday and making associate Marc Crawford the interim.

"In order to win, it's usually always about a series of habits," Crawford said. "And on the final goal, we missed two assignments, we had a poor change, and those things can't happen."

After a scoreless first, the teams scored 57 seconds apart midway through the second.

Marchand beat Anderson on a power-play with a one-timer from the right circle off Torey Krug's cross-ice feed to give Boston a 1-0 lead with 9:49 left.

Pageau answered with a wrist shot in the slot to beat Rask nearly a minute later.

Tkachuk swooped in to bury a rebound after Rask stopped Chris Tierney's initial offering at 2:46 of the third to put the Senators ahead 2-1.

Wagner tied it for the Bruins on a 4-on-4 after winning a battle in the slot and re-directing Krug's wrist shot past Anderson with 11:13 remaining.

"We've got some good players in the room stepping up at the right time," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "It's the sign of a good team, and we need it."

Game notes

The win marked the first time in Bruins' history that the team scored a game-winning goal in the final minute of consecutive regulation games.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 69

2 4

Penguins end Bruins' 19-game point streak in 4-2 win

Guentzel nets goal in Penguins' winJake Guentzel extends the Penguins' lead with a second-period goal leading to the Penguins taking down the Bruins 4-2.

PITTSBURGH -- For the first time in nearly two months, the Boston Bruins ran out of time. It tends to happen when the Bruins play in Pittsburgh, no matter how hot they are.

Jared McCann scored twice, Matt Murray finished with 39 saves and the Penguins handed the Bruins their first regulation loss since January with a 4-2 victory on Sunday night.

Boston came in 15-0-4 in its last 19 games for the franchise's longest point streak since 1940-41. A goal by John Moore with just over a minute to go got Boston within one, but McCann's empty-netter with 21 seconds left made the Bruins regulation losers for the first time since Jan. 19 against the New York Rangers.

"I think we can be proud of that, but not satisfied," Moore said. "There's no reason we can't get back to work on Tuesday. That's the special part about this group. Guys really push each other. We expect a lot out of each other."

Then again, so do the Penguins, who won for the fifth time in seven games to strengthen their position in the race for a playoff spot. Pittsburgh rose to third in the Metropolitan Division with 13 games to go thanks in part to another steady performance by Murray and another jolt from McCann and Nick Bjugstad, who have thrived since arriving in a trade with Florida on Feb. 1.

McCann's two goals -- a short-handed breakaway in the first and his flip from near center ice in the waning seconds -- gave him 16 goals on the season, eight of them coming in his 19 games with Pittsburgh. Bjugstad added his fifth with Pittsburgh, matching the total he put up in 32 games with Florida.

"They're two real good players and they've embraced the roles we put them in," Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said.

Jake Guentzel collected his team-high 34th goal for Pittsburgh, which kept Boston winless at PPG Paints Arena since December 2015 by jumping out early and then holding on late.

David Krejci picked up his 19th for the Bruins and Jaroslav Halak made 33 stops, but Boston was on its heels for most of the first period while falling into a two-goal deficit from which it couldn't recover.

"We were light on all the battles in the first," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "You could tell they were better prepared to win the pucks. It cost us a couple of goals."

The Bruins used the franchise's longest point streak in nearly eight decades to rise above the muddled portion of the Eastern Conference playoff race. Their six-week stretch included flashes of dominance and a flair for the dramatic. Boston arrived in Pittsburgh coming off a 6-0 homestand, one that culminated with last-minute victories over Florida and Ottawa.

Boston's run came to an end against a team that seems to be gaining some momentum late in a bumpy and wildly uneven season, at least by Pittsburgh standards. Things appear to be evening out thanks in large part to Bjugstad and McCann's fresh legs.

Bjugstad needed just 93 seconds to give the Penguins the lead, fighting for position at the far post and redirecting a centering pass from Zach Aston-Reese.

McCann made it 2-0 at 13:54 when he took a lead pass from Teddy Blueger and broke in alone on Halak before deking from his forehand to his backhand. Halak could only stretch out his glove in vain as McCann slipped home Pittsburgh's 10th short-handed goal of the season.

"I feel like the harder you kind of fake it the more he has to respect it," McCann said. "I just try to fake it as hard as I could and he bit on it."

Krejci got Boston on the board early in the second when the puck emerged from a scrum in front of the Pittsburgh net and ended up on his stick in the left circle. He flipped it over a sprawled Murray to get the Bruins within one.

Pittsburgh's potent power play has been a bit of a mess of late -- just as likely to give up a goal as score one -- and was a lifeless 0 for 4 when Sullivan put Guentzel on the top unit with Sidney Crosby. It paid immediate dividends.

Crosby raced into the zone down the left side and sent a perfect cross-ice pass to Guentzel, who quickly went backhand to forehand and lifted it by Halak to restore the two-goal cushion.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 70

4 7

Jenner's hat trick powers Blue Jackets over Bruins 7-4

Jenner scores a hat trick vs. BruinsBoone Jenner helps lift the Blue Jackets 7-4 over the Bruins with a hat trick.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Boone Jenner got off his sick bed and rung up his first career hat trick.

The Columbus center had a fever and missed his team's loss to the New York Islanders on Monday. His return to the lineup on Tuesday night powered the Blue Jackets to a much-needed 7-4 win over the Boston as they scrap to stay above the wild-card line in the Eastern Division with a dozen games left.

"It wasn't fun yesterday not feeling well and not being with the guys, so it was nice today to just get back out there," said the 25-year-old Jenner, whose goal in the second period was the 100th of his career.

Jenner, said Columbus coach John Tortorella, "gave us great life tonight."

Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 27 shots, and Josh Anderson and Zach Werenski each had a goal and three assists for the Blue Jackets. The four points were a career high for each.

The Blue Jackets have taken plenty of shots but haven't been able to score goals lately. They were shut out for the third time in six games on Monday, but on Tuesday the pucks started going in.

Columbus scored five unanswered goals to go up 5-1 before the Bruins came roaring back with three straight in a wild second period to make it a one-goal game. Werenski's first goal in 30 games provided Columbus some breathing room late, and Jenner's empty-netter completed his hat trick with 47 seconds left.

"We just talked about staying on the gas, staying on the attack, and that's what we did there in the third," Werenski said. "I don't think we gave them much. They're down by a few so they're going to have some chances, but (Bobrovsky) stood tall and we played well defensively."

Brad Marchand had two goals and an assist, and Patrice Bergeron a goal and an assist to lead Boston, which lost its second game since stringing together a 20-game points streak. The Bruins stayed in second place behind Tampa Bay in the Atlantic Division.

Tuukka Rask had 19 saves on 24 shots before being replaced in the second period by Jaroslav Halak, who made nine more stops.

Both teams scored short-handed goals in the first period.

Ryan Dzingel's goal in the first for Columbus was his career-high 23rd, and Matt Duchene scored in the second for the Blue Jackets. Chris Wagner got the other goal for Boston, pulling the Bruins within 5-3 before Marchand scored late in the second to make it a one-goal game.

"Sooner or later you're going to have a game where the other team is better than you, for a variety of different reasons," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "So I think that the fact that our guys had the will to come back is a good positive. I tend to be an optimist, but there's a lot of things we need to do better. I'm a little disappointed in some of the players."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 71

3 4

Scheifele has goal, 2 assists as Jets beat Bruins 4-3

Wheeler taps in rebound in Jets' winBlake Wheeler records his 20th goal of the season by pouncing on a rebound in the Jets' 4-3 victory against the Bruins.

WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- Mark Scheifele likes how Patrik Laine continues to fit in on the Winnipeg Jets' top line.

Scheifele had a goal and two assists, Blake Wheeler added a goal and an assist, and Laine had two assists as the Winnipeg Jets beat Boston 4-3 Thursday night for the Bruins' third straight loss.

"I think what guys realize about me and Wheels is it's never one guy's the passer, one guy's the shooter," Scheifele said. "We all do the work, we all do what needs to be done.

"When you're the guy to score, you're the guy to score. When you're the guy to pass, you're the guy to pass. That's the way we've always worked."

Jacob Trouba and Nikolaj Ehlers also scored for the Jets, who snapped a two-game skid and improved to 5-5 in their last 10 games. Connor Hellebuyck stopped 36 shots as Winnipeg moved three points ahead of Nashville atop the Central Division.

Charlie McAvoy, Joakim Nordstrom and Charlie Coyle scored for Boston and David Krejci had two assists. Tuukka Rask finished with 20 saves.

Ehlers scored the eventual game-winner with just under 7 minutes left after Trouba put the Jets ahead 3-2 earlier in the third period.

Coyle got Boston within one with 2:56 remaining, but the Bruins couldn't tie it up with an extra attacker.

"It's like a lot of (games). Other teams are taking it to us," Boston head coach Bruce Cassidy said of his team's poor starts. "They clearly have more energy early on. Some of that could be fatigue in our group. Some of it could be personnel in our lineup that are a little nervous to get started.

"We took an offensive-zone penalty against one of the better power plays so there's a number of things. It's not one thing. It's different things that usually add up and that was it tonight."

Winnipeg's top line of Laine, Scheifele and Wheeler did the early damage, giving the home team a 2-0 lead in the opening period that turned into a 2-2 contest midway through the second.

Wheeler scored his 20th of the season 1:08 into the game off a rebound after Laine's one-timer hit the crossbar.

Laine found Scheifele rushing to the net on the power play and sent him a pass for his career-high, team-leading 33rd with 8:36 left in the opening period. Scheifele had been held off the scoresheet the previous four games.

Rask was ready for Laine to shoot.

"All the options are right there, obviously, but when it's one of the best shooters in the league you don't want to cheat on that so I just didn't make the push on time," Rask said of the Finnish sniper who has 29 goals this season.

Laine was planning to shoot.

"Yeah, I thought I was going to shoot, too," he said. "If I don't know what I'm doing, I don't think the goalie's going to know what I'm doing. I thought first I was going to shoot it, I was pretty close. But then I saw Scheif back door so might as well pass it sometimes.

"I'm not just a shooter, I guess," Laine added. "I'm a pretty decent passer as well, like we saw in this game."

McAvoy's high shot with 2:37 remaining in the period cut the lead to 2-1 and Nordstrom tied it up midway through the second when he banged in a rebound behind a sprawled Hellebuyck.

The Jets had a chance to go ahead with their second power play of the game a few minutes later, but Laine twice hit a post.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 72

2 1 OT

Marchand does it again in OT as Bruins beat Blue Jackets 2-1

After Conor McGregor drops the ceremonial puck, Brad Marchand nets the winning goal in overtime and celebrates with the McGregor shimmy.

BOSTON -- Conor McGregor fired up the Bruins with a pregame speech. Brad Marchand paid him tribute by doing a rendition of the MMA fighter's walk after he scored his winner.

Marchand scored 3:30 into the overtime, lifting Boston to a 2-1 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday night.

"Yeah, I kind of wanted, was hoping to score just to do it before the game," Marchand said of copying McGregor's entrance into rings. "It's not every day you have an icon here in the room. I just wanted to have a little fun with it."

McGregor spoke to the team before the game and again after.

"He's an incredible guy, very energetic," Marchand said. "He was humble. He was happy to be here. He's expressed that to everyone. It was an honor to meet him. It was great to have him here. It's something we'll remember."

The win snapped Boston's three-game losing streak that came after it earned at least a point in 19 straight games. Patrice Bergeron had a power-play goal for the Bruins and set up the winner.

Bergeron spun around and fed Marchand in the right circle, where Marchand one-timed a shot as he went to one knee for his 15th OT goal, most in team history. Then the winger did a little shimmy -- with his arms moving back and forth -- as he skated to toward the bench before he was mobbed by his teammates.

"It goes to that chemistry," Bergeron said. "We know where each other are going to be on the ice mostly at all times."

Backup goalie Jaroslav Halak made 24 saves for the Bruins. He kept it tied at 1 by making a glove stop on Zach Werenski's wrist shot from the left circle with 5 1/2 minutes to play in the third.

Matt Duchene scored for the Blue Jackets, and Joonas Korpisalo made 31 saves.

"I thought our whole team played well," Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella said. "I'm not going to single anyone out. I thought it was a good team effort."

In the OT, Marchand had two close chances for Boston after Halak robbed Duchene's bid from the slot.

This matchup was much different than Tuesday, when the Blue Jackets jumped ahead 5-1 in Columbus before holding off the Bruins for a 7-4 victory.

With McGregor in the building and firing up the crowd before making the ceremonial puck drop, the Bruins and Blue Jackets came out hitting and going end-to-end early before settling into a tight checking game.

Bergeron gave Boston a 1-0 lead with his goal 5:51 into the game, firing a backhander over Korpisalo for his 800th career point.

The Blue Jackets tied it when Duchene broke down the right wing, shifted around defenseman John Moore and lifted a shot over Halak's shoulder inside the near post at 16:52 of the first period.

Duchene said the TD Garden ice wasn't good, with the game started just a few hours after the Boston Celtics beat the Atlanta Hawks on Saturday.

"It was awful ice," he said. "It was probably the worst ice I've played on this league. I don't know what was going on with it. That's probably why it was a 1-1 game (at that time). Pucks were rolling on guys."

Boston had a handful of good chances in a scoreless second. The best came when Marchand had the puck all alone just outside the crease midway into the period, paused and waited for Korpisalo to drop before shooting it over the net.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 73

5 0

Kuraly, Rask lead Bruins to 5-0 win over Islanders

UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- The Boston Bruins showed their depth and kept up their domination of the New York Islanders.

Sean Kuraly scored twice and Tuukka Rask earned his 45th career shutout as Boston beat the Islanders 5-0 on Tuesday night.

Noel Acciari, Patrice Bergeron and Jake DeBrusk also had goals to help the Bruins win their second straight since a three-game skid that followed their 19-game point streak (15-0-4). Boston has won seven consecutive meetings between the teams -- eight in a row in New York.

"From the start all the way to the finish, we were pretty good," said Kuraly, who had just six goals coming in and ended a 23-game drought. "For a full 60 (minutes), that's up there with one of the best 60s we've played this year."

Rask only had to make 13 saves for his fourth shutout this season, and first ever against the Islanders.

"I don't know if they had five scoring chances," Rask said. "No game is easy in the NHL, that's for sure. There's always going to be some kind of chances against, but I think if you look at the overall team effort, how we played, I guess it qualifies as an easy game."

Robin Lehner, making his first start since he was injured March 5 late in New York's 5-4 shootout win at home against Ottawa, finished with 34 saves. The Islanders' 13 shots were their fewest of the season.

"They played a playoff-type game tonight," New York captain Anders Lee said. "They were heavy, they were strong. We were making mistakes from the start, fumbling here and there with the puck and they capitalized on those opportunities."

David Pastrnak returned to the Bruins' lineup for first time since Feb. 10. He missed 16 games with a thumb injury sustained when he fell after a team dinner.

Boston dominated play from the start, scoring once in the first period and twice each in the second and third. The Bruins outshot the Islanders 14-2 in the first, 10-6 in the second and 15-5 in the third.

"No matter what the score was tonight, we wanted to keep coming and keep playing hard," Kuraly said. "It was nice to get rewarded early. Then we kind of rolled from there."

After a turnover by the Islanders, Bergeron converted a pass from Joakim Nordstrom on a rush for his 28th goal at 6:32 of the third. DeBrusk scored his 23rd on a breakaway to make it 5-0 with 9:40 remaining.

"Tonight obviously wasn't to the level that we've set for ourselves," New York's Josh Bailey said. "You just need to talk about it, learn from it and turn the page."

Islanders forward Matt Martin and Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara had an altercation in the first period, then dropped the gloves and fought right after the puck drop at the start of the second.

That briefly energized the home crowd, but Acciari extended the Bruins' lead to 2-0 with a straightaway shot from inside the blue line, beating Lehner through the legs at 2:52. It was his fourth of the season.

Kuraly scored his second of the night to make it 3-0 with 3:43 left in the second. He knocked the puck away from Bailey in the corner to Lehner's right, and Danton Heinen got it behind the net. His wraparound try came to Kuraly, who beat the goalie from the left circle.

Kuraly got the Bruins on the board 1:12 into the game. He corralled the puck along the side boards, skated into the right circle, turned and fired a shot that beat Lehner on the glove side inside the post. It was Kuraly's first goal since Jan. 17.

Charlie McAvoy, who grew up in nearby Long Beach and played at the Nassau Coliseum for the first time, got an assist on the play.

"Really happy with the result and really happy to be back home," he said. "Spent a lot of time in this building, familiar with the setting. To play here in front of my family was pretty surreal."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 74

5 1

Bruins' top line, Rask carry Boston over New Jersey, 5-1

Bergeron nets a pair for BostonPatrice Bergeron opens the scoring for the Bruins and adds an empty netter in Boston's 5-1 rout of New Jersey.

NEWARK, N.J. -- It didn't take long for the Boston Bruins' top line of Patrice Bergeron, David Pastrnak and Brad Marchand to get back in gear.

A game after Pastrnak returned from thumb surgery, Bergeron scored two goals and the line accounted for eight points in leading the Bruins to a 5-1 victory over the injury-ravaged New Jersey Devils 5-1 on Thursday night.

Pastrnak also scored his first goal since missing 16 games in helping Boston open a six-point lead over Toronto in the race for second place in the Atlantic Division.

"When they're going, they pull the rest of the guys along," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "That was a bit of the story of our team early in the year. Now we're seeing more secondary scoring, but they are certainly our go-to guys. They are our drivers. Most teams have that in their top six and we're not an exception. It nice to see Pass get back in the mix with them. It looks like the chemistry is back to normal for them."

Marchand added three assists and Danton Heinen and David Backes also scored for the Bruins, who are 16-3-1 in their last 20 games. Tuukka Rask made 22 saves to improve to 18-2-3 in his last 23 games.

"I think it's our chemistry and we've been able to build on that," said Marchand, who has 90 points, including 31 goals. "We work together as a group and we're consistently trying to improve. We've (had) some good bounces. We've had a lot of fun. We've got a really good group this year, a really good team. I think we all benefit all around the room."

Boston, which has given up two goals while winning its last three games, and the Maple Leafs, who were idle, each have eight regular-season games left.

"That's what we have in front of ourselves right now," Bergeron said after hitting the 30-goal mark for the fifth time. "That's what we can work for. It's not easy. It's the last stretch and every point counts. We know Toronto is thinking the same way."

Drew Stafford scored for the Devils, ending a 34-game goal-scoring drought. Cory Schneider made 22 saves as New Jersey lost for the ninth time in 12 games (2-9-1).

"It's where we are as a team," Devils captain Andy Greene said. "That's how we have to play. That's how we compete. We stay in games because of how hard we work and how hard we compete. It's not because of our skill."

Boston's top line combined to stake the Bruins to a 2-0 lead.

Bergeron opened the scoring with 1:26 left in the first period with his 29th goal. Pastrnak took the puck from Marchand and made a pass across the crease to Bergeron for a shot into an open net.

Pastrnak got his 32nd at 12:58 of the second period. Bergeron won a faceoff and Marchand made the pass across the crease for Pastrnak's shot into an open net.

A turnover by the Bruins allowed the Devils to score less than two minutes later. Pavel Zacha, who returned after missing 16 games with an upper-body injury, got the puck in the right circle and found Stafford for his third goal.

Heinen restored the two-goal lead 29 seconds into the third period. Sean Kuraly blocked a shot by Devils defenseman Steven Santini with his glove and Heinen scored on the ensuing rush.

Bergeron scored into an empty net with 1:18 to play, and Backes tallied in the final minute.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast