Thread: Boston Bruins 2018/19 Season Chatter

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries

Boston Bruins 2018/19 Season Chatter

I will edit this thread as needed.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 1

0 7

Capitals open Stanley Cup defense with 7-0 rout of Bruins

WASHINGTON -- From banner to blowout, the Washington Capitals' Stanley Cup defense is off to a rousing start.

After watching the franchise's first Cup banner ascend to the rafters, the Alex Ovechkin-led Capitals scored two goals in the first two minutes on the way to a 7-0 thrashing of the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night. T.J. Oshie opened the scoring 24 seconds in and Evgeny Kuznetsov scored the first of his two goals at 1:47 to give Washington the fastest first two goals by a defending champion in a season opener in NHL history.

"We scored right away," Ovechkin said. "After that, they were kind of in shock."

By midway through the second period, the Capitals chased goalie Tuukka Rask with five goals on 19 shots and ignited chants of "Back-to-back! Back-to-back!" from the fired-up crowd. That's the chant Oshie started after the victory parade in June, and it was echoing throughout the arena four months later.

"I said it because I believe it," Oshie said. "We got a lot of guys in here that not too long ago were raising the Stanley Cup above our head. Not a lot's changed."

Braden Holtby stopped all 25 shots he faced to improve to 15-2 with four shutouts against the Bruins.

The emotional banner ceremony featured montages from the Capitals' playoff run and ensuing celebrations and a roar when Ovechkin carried the freshly engraved Cup onto the ice and skated a lap with it. Minutes after Ovechkin kissed the Cup and put it back in its box, he and his teammates blew away any concern about an emotional letdown and began making a statement that they want to win it back.

"We showed we're not going to give a team easy ways to beat us," Ovechkin said.

In Todd Reirden's first game as coach, the Capitals beat the Bruins for the 13th consecutive time, this time without Tom Wilson. Washington's top-line right winger began his 20-game suspension for another illegal check to the head of an opponent in a preseason game.

Without Wilson, the Capitals' offense didn't miss a beat as Ovechkin scored one of four power-play goals, Kuznetsov scored his second on the power play and John Carlson beat Boston backup Jaroslav Halak on a 5-on-3 advantage. Newcomer Nic Dowd joined the fun with a spinning back-hander, and Cup-clinching goal-scorer Lars Eller added the exclamation point with the seventh of the night.

The Bruins were not pleased by Eller's celebration, and winger Brad Marchand instigated a fight with him soon after.

"His celebration was unnecessary," Marchand said. "He took an angle in front of our bench and celebrated in a 7-0 game. So I just let him know."

Rask fell to 1-11-5 in his career against the Capitals with a 3.30 goals-against average and .889 save percentage that are each the second-worst of any opponent.

"I'm out there to give us a chance," Rask said. "It didn't happen today. Three soft goals, you've got to look in the mirror and go fix it."

Only two goals came against Halak, whose presence on banner night in Washington was poetic after his performance for Montreal in the 2010 playoffs ended one of the Capitals' previous best chances to win a championship.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 2

4 0

Halak stops 32 shots; Bruins rebound to beat Sabres 4-0

By JOHN WAWROW AP Hockey Writer

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) Brad Marchand was relieved in seeing how the Boston Bruins went from what the forward called "brutal" one night to much better the next.

Marchand set up all four goals and Jaroslav Halak stopped 32 shots in a 4-0 win over the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday, a day after Boston opened the season with an embarrassing 7-0 loss at Washington.

"When you have a game like last night, it can definitely make you a little nervous about how things are going to go," Marchand said. "But I think this just gave us the confidence that we know we can settle down and bounce back."

Captain Zdeno Chara and rookie Ryan Donato staked the Bruins to a 2-0 lead by the 15:34 mark of the first period. David Pastrnak scored in the second and Patrice Bergeron capped the victory with an empty-net goal with 12 seconds left.

The new-look Sabres, featuring rookie No. 1 draft pick Rasmus Dahlin and Jack Eichel as captain, more resembled the team that finished last in the standings for the third time in five years. After receiving rousing cheers upon being introduced before the opening faceoff in their season opener, the Sabres were booed off the ice following the first and second periods.

"Obviously, I think their fuse is a bit short for us, and rightfully so," Eichel said, referring to fans' impatience. "We haven't played well the last few years. That's on us to put a better product on the ice."

It's been a familiar lament for the Sabres. Dating to last season, Buffalo has lost five straight overall and six in a row at home - including three shutout losses. The Sabres dropped to 0-5-1 in their past six season openers. They were shut out for the fourth time to open a season, and first since a 2-0 loss at Philadelphia in 2003.

Buffalo failed to score despite playing much of the final five minutes with the goalie pulled for an extra attacker.

Halak got the start a night after allowing two goals on 18 shots in replacing starter Tuukka Rask, who was yanked midway through the second period against Washington. The shutout was the 43rd of Halak's career.

"We all knew it just wasn't good enough yesterday and we needed to come back tonight and bounce back, and that's what we did," said Halak, who signed with Boston in July.

Chara opened the scoring 6:33 in, when he was allowed to skate in alone up the left side and beat offseason free-agent addition Carter Hutton on the short side.

Hutton finished with 22 saves and had no chance on Donato's power-play goal nine minutes later. Donato was alone driving to the right post, where he redirected Marchand's pass from the high slot.

The 18-year-old Dahlin had an inconsistent night and at times looked hesitant in being matched with several defensive partners. He was on the ice for the Bruins' third goal in allowing David Krejci's pass through the crease go directly through his legs. The pass set up Pastrnak, who scored while being left alone at the left post.

Dahlin finished second among Buffalo players with 22 minutes and 37 seconds of ice time, and was credited with two hits and one giveaway.

"Yeah, it was a little bit faster," Dahlin said of the game's pace. "I learned how a regular-season game is. I'm just looking forward to the next game. We've got to do better."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 3

6 3

Bergeron has hat trick, Pastrnak adds 4 points as B's roll

BOSTON -- Patrice Bergeron had a hat trick, scoring his first just 30 seconds into the game, and Tuukka Rask stopped 28 shots to earn his first win of the season while leading the Boston Bruins to a 6-3 victory over the Ottawa Senators on Monday.

Bergeron also had an assist, David Pastrnak had two goals and two assists and Charlie McAvoy had his first career three-assist game for Boston.

Brad Marchand picked up his fifth, sixth and seventh assists in three games so far this season, and Chris Wagner also scored for the Bruins in their home opener.

It was their fifth straight victory over Ottawa and their second straight win this season since losing the opener 7-0 to the Washington Capitals on the night they raised their Stanley Cup championship banner.

Ryan Dzingel scored twice for the Senators, who picked up a 5-on-3 power play with about 12 minutes left but failed to score. Mike Condon made 24 saves for Ottawa.

The 2014 Vezina Trophy winner, Rask was pulled from the opener against Washington after allowing five goals on 19 shots in less than 28 minutes. Backup Jaroslav Halak replaced him and also started the second game, a 4-0 win over Buffalo on Thursday.

Rask was spotted a 2-0 lead in Monday's matinee, thanks to Bergeron's goal off a rebound in the crease in the first minute. The Bruins forward also scored on a power play from the right faceoff circle with three minutes left in the first.

It was 3-2 after two periods when Bergeron scored off Ottawa defenseman Cody Ceci's knee 4:38 into the third, sending a shower of caps onto the ice. Pastrnak made it 5-2 with 3 1/2 minutes left, but Bobby Ryan cut the deficit back to two goals just 30 seconds later.

Pastrnak added an empty-netter from mid-ice.

Game notes

Boston fans broke into a couple of "Yankees Suck!" chants in the third period.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 4

Marchand, Nordstrom score in 36-second span, Bruins win

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Updated: 6 hours ago

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins couldn't stop Edmonton star Connor McDavid. They did shut down the rest of the Oilers.

The Bruins answered McDavid's early goal by scoring three straight in the first period and shut down the frustrated Oilers the rest of the way in a 4-1 victory Thursday night.

"It's hard to stop a guy like that. Sometimes it happens with an early one. You just have to chip away," Boston's David Krejci said. "We responded really well.

David Pastrnak tied it with his fourth goal of the season at 9:20, then the Bruins got back-to-back goals from Brad Marchand and Joakim Nordstrom in a 36-second span and Boston led 3-1.

That was plenty of offense for Jaroslav Halak, who stopped 25 shots in his home debut for Boston to help the Bruins win their third straight.

"We don't give them anything easy. We defended well tonight," Halak said.

Halak didn't allow anything past him after McDavid blew through the Boston defense and slipped one in at 3:43 for his first goal of the season.

Cam Talbot had 28 saves for Edmonton and kept it close, but the Oilers never recovered after Boston took control in the first.

"We had a couple that were inches away," Edmonton's Ryan Nugent-Hopkinssaid. "We've just got to keep pushing through that."

The Oilers were playing only their second game of the season after falling 5-2 to New Jersey on Saturday in Sweden.

"We didn't create a lot of offense and when we finally did, the bounces didn't go our way," Edmonton coach Todd McLellan said. "I thought we had the start that we wanted to have."

Patrice Bergeron added an empty-netter in the final minute and finished with a goal and an assist.

Defenseman Matt Grzelcyk had a pair of assists for the Bruins. They have won three straight since getting shut out by Washington 7-0 in the season opener.

After Pastrnak tied it on a power-play goal, slipping the puck between his own legs and beating Talbot with a backhand, Marchand gave Boston its first lead at 14:37 on another power play off a centering pass from Grzelcyk. Nordstrom scored again for Boston 36 seconds later on a give-and-go with Krejci.

"It was really important that we got the next two goals," Pastrnak said.

Edmonton just missed on two opportunities in the third. Boston captain Zdeno Chara poked the puck away after a shot by Nugent-Hopkins slid along the goal line behind Halak as Edmonton's Ty Rattie raised his arms, thinking Edmonton had scored.

Play continued and replays showed the puck didn't cross.

The Oilers were short-handed a few minutes later when Tobias Rieder got a breakaway on Halak, who stretched out for a save with his left pad to preserve the two-goal lead.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 5

8 2

Pastrnak gets hat trick, Bruins rout winless Red Wings 8-2

BOSTON (AP) David Pastrnak scored three times, giving him 101 goals in his career, and Patrice Bergeron had three assists as the Boston Bruins kept Detroit winless with an 8-2 victory over the Red Wings on Saturday.

It was the second career hat trick for Pastrnak, the 22-year-old Czech who has scored seven times in five games this season.

Jake DeBrusk scored twice and David Krejci had a pair of assists for the Bruins, who also got goals from Charlie McAvoy, Anders Bjork and Sean Kuraly.

Tuukka Rask had 32 saves to help Boston win its fourth straight while outscoring opponents 20-6 since getting shut out by Washington 7-0 in the season opener.

Filip Hronek and Dylan Larkin scored for the Red Wings, who fell to 0-5 for the first time since 1980. Jonathan Bernier had 31 saves for Detroit, which broke up the shut out on Hronek's power-play goal 21 seconds into the third, briefly cutting Boston's lead to 4-1.

Detroit has lost its last 10 against Boston.

The start time was moved up to 3 p.m. from 7 p.m. because of the opener of the American League Championship Series between the Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on Saturday night. Boston fans were looking ahead with the Bruins up big in the third period, chanting "Let's Go Red Sox!"

Pastrnak started the rout with 51 seconds left in the first period, taking the puck from deep in his own zone and going untouched before beating Bernier with a wrist shot for his 99th career goal.

Pastrnak got his 100th early in the second on a power-play, on one-timing a pass from Bergeron to put Boston up 4-0, and completed the hat trick at 2:05 into the period on one-timer off a pass from Brad Marchand on a 2-on-1. The game was stopped for a few minutes to clean up the dozens of hats that came showering down from the seats.

Bergeron got his third assist on the play. He set up Pastrnak's first goal and had another assist off a faceoff win and drop pass to McAvoy for a one-timer 4:44 into the second to put the Bruins up 2-0.

Notes: Pastrnak reached 100 goals in 259 career games, the third-fastest in franchise history, trailing only Barry Pederson (187) and Dit Clapper (247)

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 6

2 5

Frolik scores twice, leads Flames past Bruins 5-2

CALGARY, Alberta -- Michael Frolik went from healthy scratch to catalyst for the Calgary Flames.

Frolik scored two goals to lead the Flames to a 5-2 victory over the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night.

"It feels good when you can help the team win the game," the veteran winger said.

Frolik had to watch his teammates edge the Avalanche 3-2 in overtime Saturday in Colorado.

"I didn't have the start I was looking for, but it's a long season," he said. "I just try to work hard in practice, get better every day and hopefully it's going to turn around.

"Tonight was a good start. Hopefully I can keep going."

Johnny Gaudreau collected his 100th NHL goal and rookie defenseman Juusu Valimaki scored his first for the Flames. Matthew Tkachuk added an empty-net goal.

Mikael Backlund and Michael Stone each had two assists as Calgary won its second straight home game. Goaltender Mike Smith stopped 24 of 26 shots in the win.

"I like the fact we have the ability to generate offense. Now, we'll work on other things," Calgary coach Bill Peters said. "We're not quite there defensively or our play away from the puck in the neutral zone, but when we get there, we'll be a much better team."

Patrice Bergeron had a goal and an assist for the Bruins. Brad Marchand also scored. Bruins netminder Tuukka Rask turned away 24 shots in the loss.

"I don't think we were as clean as we needed to be obviously against a team that forechecks and checks well," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "That was clearly an issue throughout the game. Execution wasn't good enough to beat a good hockey team."

The Bruins trailed 4-2 heading into the final period.

Marchand was lightly defended when he scored at 13:45 of the second, taking a pass from Bergeron and scoring past Smith.

Frolik nearly completed a hat trick on a short-handed breakaway, but his backhanded shot sailed over the Boston net. The Czech's second goal came results from a Boston turnover in the offensive zone. Backlund flipped the puck across the slot, and Frolik tapped it over Rask's stick at 3:32.

On Boston's first rush after killing off Calgary's two-man advantage, Bergeron scored at 2:40 on a give-and-go with David Krejci.

What appeared to be a goal by David Pastrnak late in the first period didn't survive a coach's challenge by Calgary's Bill Peters. The Bruins were ruled offside.

Valimaki's first NHL goal gave the Flames a 3-0 lead at 16:08 of the first period.

With Sam Bennett in front of Rask, the 20-year-old Valimaki's shot from the top of the circle rolled over the goaltender and over the goal line.

"I was happy actually finding out it was mine. Pretty awkward moment at the start because I didn't know it was mine," Valimaki said. "All the guys on the bench said `it's yours' and it felt great."

Gaudreau collected his milestone goal at 15:20. At the top of the crease, Sean Monahan batted the puck down low to the winger, and Gaudreau scored from a tough angle.

Frolik had half an open net for a target following a nice passing play by Tkachuk and Backlund. Tkachuk hustled into the offensive zone to backhand the puck to Backlund, who was moving into the slot. Backlund flipped the puck over to Frolik to score at 4:36.

Game notes

Flames: Gaudreau crumpled after taking a high hit from Bruins defenseman Charlie McAvoy in the third period. Gaudreau played another shift, but was then pulled from the game for concussion protocol. Calgary head coach Bill Peters did not have an update on Gaudreau after the game.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 7

Leon Draisiatl scores in overtime, Oilers beat Bruins 3-2

Oilers defeat the Bruins 3-2 after Leon Draisaitl nets the game-winning goal in overtime.

EDMONTON, Alberta -- The Edmonton Oilers were one of the final teams in the NHL to play their home opener, and they made the most of their home ice advantage.

Leon Draisaitl scored in overtime to give the Oilers a 3-2 victory over the Boston Bruins on Thursday night.

Connor McDavid set up the winner at 37 seconds of the extra period, and Kailer Yamamoto and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins also scored to help the Oilers win their third straight.

"It feels pretty weird having played four games and traveling all over the place and just finally playing our home opener," Nugent-Hopkins said. "This was great for the team. You have to make your home building a tough barn to come into every night and I thought as the game went on we did that."

Cam Talbot was solid in net, making 27 saves in the win.

"He held us in the game, it is as simple as that," Draisaitl said. "We all know what we have in him and are very proud to have him back there. He does this so many times for us. It was nice to bail him out at the end."
    David Krejci and David Pastrnak scored for Boston. The Bruins have dropped two in a row.

"There was definitely some really good opportunities, it didn't happen for us, but I thought we persevered," Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy said. "We got behind in the third, but to score a goal to tie the game, I thought was a credit to our guys. Obviously we didn't get the win, but it's certainly a positive."

Boston opened the scoring midway through the second period following an Edmonton giveaway. Krejci was left alone at the side of the net for his first goal of the season. The Oilers soon tied it on Yamamoto's first NHL goal.
    "It feels even better than I thought it would," said Yamamoto.

"Words can't even describe it. It was an unbelievable feeling."

Off McDavid's assist, Nugent-Hopkins put Edmonton ahead on a power play 7:30 into the third period. Nugent-Hopkins has seven points in the last three games.
    Boston tied it with 8:34 to go when Brad Marchand fed it in front to Pastrnak for his eighth.

Game notes

Edmonton was the last of the NHL's 31 teams to have its home opener. The Oilers played their first four games on the road, including starting the season in Sweden. It is the latest Edmonton has ever had its home opener in a non-lockout season. ...

Zdeno Chara played his 900th regular season game with the Bruins. The 41-year-old has played in 1,429 games over 21 NHL seasons.