Thread: Calgary Flames 2018/19 Season Chatter

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries

Calgary Flames 2018/19 Season Chatter

I will edit this thread as needed.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game #1

2 5

Pettersson scores 1st goal, Canucks beat Flames 5-2

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Elias Pettersson had one thought when he hit the ice before his first NHL game -- stay upright.

The 19-year-old Vancouver Canucks' center said he knew about the league's tradition of initiating rookies with a solo skate during warm-ups, but hoped his teammates might make an exception.

"Maybe I thought they would forget it because it was lonely, not that fun," he said. "My only focus was not to fall."

Not only did Pettersson stay on his feet, he scored his first NHL goal on his first shot and also had an assist in the Canucks' 5-2 win over the Calgary Flames on Wednesday night.

Nikolay Goldobin, Brendan Leipsic, Jake Virtanen and Tyler Motte also scored for Vancouver. Jacob Markstrom stopped 33 shots.

Pettersson opened the scoring with 6:12 left in the first period, picking up the puck in the neutral zone, springing into the Calgary end with teammate Derrick Pouliot on a 2-on-1. Petterson kept the puck and fired a wrist shot into the top of the net.

The goal brought chants of "Petter-sson" from the crowd.

"Everyone on the team congratulated me, including the coaches. And then I didn't expect a standing ovation from the crowd. So that was amazing," said Pettersson, whose parents were among those in attendance.

Teammate Eric Gudbranson said Pettersson, who led the Swedish hockey league in scoring last season with 56 poi8nts in 44 games, was `an absolute stud' in his NHL debut.

"One of the most impressive things about him is how responsible he is and how competitive he is," Gudbranson said. "If he turns the puck over, he's right back on it and he takes it away from you. He doesn't give up anything. He plays the game incredibly well."

Matthew Tkachuk and Sean Monahan had goals for the Flames, and Mike Smith finished with 18 saves.

Even Smith had kind words for Pettersson.

"He made a great shot, he put right in the top corner. I got a piece of it with the glove, but yeah I have heard quite a bit about this young kid and he let her go and hit the perfect spot there," Smith said.

Pettersson then got an assist on Goldobin's goal in the third period. Pettersson got the puck in front of the net and passed it off to his teammate, who tipped it in at the side to make it 2-0 at 1:52.

Nearly 30 seconds later, Leipsic sneaked a puck into the same spot to put the Canucks up 3-0.

Tkachuk then caught Markstrom too far out of the net and buried the puck to put the Flames on the scoreboard at 3:08. Defenseman Noah Hanifin got a secondary assist on the play for his first point with Calgary after being acquired from Carolina during the summer.

Virtanen responded by getting a breakaway and sliding the puck in past Smith as he fell to the ice to make it 4-1 at 5:46.

Monahan pulled the Flames within two again as he ended a battle outside the Vancouver crease with a wrist shot that slipped through Markstrom's legs and into the net at 8:08.

"Not enough pace, and not enough execution on it and not enough desperation," Flames coach Bill Peters said. "At one point, I think through 40 (minutes) we were 1 for 7 on faceoffs on the power play, so it's an important part of the game."

Vancouver's Motte got a pass from Markus Granlund and put a long shot into the empty net with 47 seconds to go to cap the scoring.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game #2

4 4

Lindholm scores twice, Flames beat Canucks 7-4

CALGARY, Alberta -- Calgary Flames coach Bill Peters is seeing a payoff for moving newcomer Elias Lindholm onto the Flames' top line.

Lindholm scored his first two goals with Calgary and the Flames scored four unanswered goals in the third period for a 7-4 win over the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday night.

The Swede, acquired from the Carolina Hurricanes in a trade at the June draft, scored a power-play goal that was the eventual game-winner at 14:28 of the third period.

With Canucks forward Nikolay Goldobin serving a slashing penalty, Lindholm beat goalie Jakob Markstrom on the short side off a cross-ice feed from Johnny Gaudreau.

Gaudreau had a goal and two assists, joining Lindholm, who added an assist, in a three-point game.

"Most guys take some time to fit into new systems but he was able to slot in right away," Peters said. "The line with him, (Sean) Monahan and Gaudreau has a lot of potential heading into this season."

Flames captain Mark Giordano and Monahan also scored for Calgary (1-1-0), with Austin Czarnik and Michael Frolik adding empty-net goals. Matthew Tkachuk had four assists.

"Monny's a goal-scoring center and Johnny's a play-making winger," Peters said. "It used to be your center made plays and your winger scored goals, so they've got that a little bit flip-flopped. That's fine."

Flames starter Mike Smith made 16 saves for the win, while Markstrom had 30 saves in the loss.

Elias Pettersson scored two goals and assisted on another for the Canucks, who beat the visiting Flames 5-2 in Wednesday's season-opener.

The 19-year-old Swede has five points in his first two career NHL games.

"Dynamite," Canucks head coach Travis Green said. "He was our best player tonight. He was one of the bright spots in the game. A few guys played OK. We had some guys that needed to play better."

Brandon Sutter scored a short-handed goal and Bo Horvat had a goal for Vancouver, which led 4-3 heading into the third period.

Monahan's power-play goal at 9:27 of the third tied the game at 4-4. After the center redirected a cross-ice pass from Gaudreau by Markstrom, Smith robbed Goldobin with a glove save.

Penalized for hauling down Pettersson near Calgary's net late in the second period, Flames defenseman Michael Stone joined Giordano in the penalty box and the Canucks had a two-man advantage.

Horvat redirected Pettersson's feed for a power-play goal at 16:57.

Tkachuk tucked the puck into the corner of Vancouver's net during a goal-mouth scramble, but a coach's challenge wiped out the goal in the second period.

But Gaudreau then banged in a rebound off a Monahan shot for a power-play goal at 9:31 to even the score 3-3.

Pettersson scored his second goal with a shot from the face-off circle at 2:52 on the power-play.

Giordano tied the game 2-2 at 17:08 of the first period. Calgary's captain beat Markstrom with a wrist shot from the top of the face-off circle.

The visitors led 2-1 on a Sutter's short-handed goal at 16:38. He beat Smith with a shot under the arm on a 2-on-1.

Pettersson swept the puck by Smith's glove from the slot at 13:50 for his first goal of the night.

Lindholm scored his first goal just 12 seconds after the opening puck drop.

After winning the offensive-zone faceoff, the Swede tipped T.J. Brodie's wrist shot from the boards by Markstrom.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 3

3 0

TAKING A BITE OUT OF PREDATORS

Monahan scores a pair and Smith stops 43 shots in huge win in Nashville

by TY PILSON @typilson / calgaryflames.com

October 9th, 2018

Any chance to play the Predators should be music to the Flames' ears.

The visitors put in an impressive performance in Nashville to beat the defending Presidents' Trophy winners 3-0 Tuesday night, their seventh win in their last eight games against the Preds.

They went 2-0 last season against the Central Division powerhouse.

Once again, it was the big guns doing the damage for the Flames - who won their second straight game to improve to 2-1 on the season - with Sean Monahan scoring twice and Elias Lindholm adding another; linemate Johnny Gaudreau getting an assist on all three tallies.

Monahan has four goals and Lindholm three in the club's first three games this season.

Gaudreau, meanwhile, has seven points over that span.

Mike Smith was stellar, turning aside all 43 shots he faced for his 37th career shutout.

"Obviously it starts with Smitty, he played great for us," said Monahan, quick to give credit to his 'tender. "When you get goaltending like that it makes you go even more (motivated). So I think you start to play for him and you get some timely goals. I think we played good all around."

Calgary's special teams certainly lived up to their name, going 2-for-4 on the powerplay and a perfect 4-0 on the PK.

The Flames came out like gangbusters in the first period, controlling the majority of play and often hemming the Preds in their zone for prolonged periods.

Austin Czarnik had a great chance to open the scoring less than a minute in when he showed his dazzling speed by beating PK Subban to a puck inside the Nashville zone but was tripped up by the defenceman as he cut towards the net which led to a Flames powerplay.

Later, Czarnik got another good crack at Rinne but the defending Vezina Cup winner flashed the leather to rob him.

Gaudreau fed Monahan on a nifty play with less than five minutes left in the period but Monahan was unable to tuck the puck between Rinne's wickets on a backhand, hooked my Mattias Ekholm in the process which led to the Flames second powerplay of the game.

On the ensuing man-up chance, Johnny Hockey brought the puck up to the Predators blueline and toe-dragged around Colton Sissons and sailed down the wing, sliding a long cross-ice pass to Lindholm who fired it off the post and in, high and short-side past Rinne.

Then things got a little weird in the second period.

Subban coughed up the puck in the neutral zone and Lindholm grabbed it and fed Monahan on a partial breakway. Rinne stopped his shot but Sam Bennett poked the puck into the net.

However, the goal was waived off as there was a whistle right before Monahan's shot, as the Preds were tagged with a too many men penalty.

Fittingly, Monahan scored on the following powerplay when Rinne made a save on Matthew Tkachuk's shot from the middle of the high slot but the rebound landed right at his skates and he flipped the puck home.

Midway through the second, the team had a stellar penalty-kill, keeping the Preds from scoring on a full two-minute, two-man advantage when both Tkachuk and Michael Stone were sent to the box for tripping.

"Huge, huge at that time of the game," said Smith. "To kill two minutes straight 5-on-3 says a lot about the character of our group, our penalty killers, they did a tremendous job in front of me blocking shots and getting important clears and that momentum carried through the rest of the game."

Smith was a wall in the middle stanza, turning aside 21 Nashville shots.

Monahan made it 3-0 just 32 seconds into the third, when he tried to pass the puck on a two-on-one to Lindholm and it went off the defenceman's skate and past Rinne.

"Our powerplay was good tonight again, PK did a great job, especially that 5-on-3," said Gaudreau. "We were smart with the puck, getting in their zone and playing down low in their zone. Found a way to get a couple of goals, take get the lead and just keep playing the same way throughout the game."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game #4

Perron's hat trick lifts Blues to over Flames 5-3

ASSOCIATED PRESS

6 hours ago

ST. LOUIS --*David Perron*likes his new line.

Perron scored his fourth career hat trick,*Alexander Steen*had a goal and an assist, and the*St. Louis Blues*beat the*Calgary Flames*5-3 on Thursday night.

Joel Edmundson*also scored and*Brayden Schenn*had three assists as the Blues won for the first time this season.*Jake Allen*made 31 saves.

Before the game, Blues coach Mike Yeo moved Perron up to the second line with Schenn and*Jaden Schwartz.

"It's quite different for sure," Perron said. "Kind of what I was used from last year. It's great. I thought (Steen's) goal really gave us some energy, too. It was good."

James Neal,*Derek Ryan*and*Mikael Backlund*scored for the Flames.*Mike Smithwas pulled following the second period after allowing five goals on 24 shots.

Perron gave the Blues a 2-1 lead midway through the first period. Edmundson, making his season debut after missing the first two games with a sore groin, made it 3-1 Blues with 2:38 left in the first, beating Smith high glove side.

Perron's second goal early in the second made it 4-1. Smith misplayed the puck behind the net, allowing Schenn to steal it and find Perron alone in front with an empty net.

"He's known to go play the puck and it just bounced on him," Schenn said. "I saw the D-man over my right shoulder and I knew I couldn't take it to the net and I saw Perron at full speed and I was just able to get it to him."

Perron, playing in his third stint with the Blues, completed the hat trick with 35 seconds left in the second. His last hat trick also came at Calgary's expense on Oct. 22, 2016.

"It feels great for sure," Perron said. "We had a good practice week and I think that a lot of people were starting to panic (with the slow start) but I don't think the players were."

Neal gave the Flames a 1-0 lead at 7:32 of the first.*Sam Bennett*set it up with a nice move in front, causing Allen to commit and leaving an opening for Neal.

"I put pressure on myself to score every night and it's nice to get my first one in a Flames jersey," Neal said.

Steen answered for the Blues just 16 seconds later. The goal gave Steen 453 career points, surpassing*Al MacInnis*for seventh in Blues history.

Allen got help from his post on*Sean Monahan's penalty shot late in the first period. He also made several tough saves as the Blues killed off a 5-on-3 for 1:35 late in the second period.

"It was big, didn't give them any momentum, which was huge," Allen said. "So I think that was the biggest thing at the end of the day what came out of it. If they got a goal out of it that may have generated a little more positivity on their side so it was nice to shut that down."

Ryan and Backlund scored in the third for Calgary to cut the deficit to two.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 5

3 :avs 2 OT

Gaudreau scores in OT to lift Flames over Avalanche 3-2

DENVER -- The Calgary Flames' strong finish rendered their slow start into an afterthought.

Elias Lindholm scored the tying goal with 1:54 left in regulation and Johnny Gaudreau put in a goal in the first minute of overtime, lifting the Flames to a 3-2 victory over the Colorado Avalanche on Saturday night.

Calgary trailed 2-0 on first-period goals by Colorado's J.T. Compher and Nathan MacKinnon, who scored 11 seconds into the game. But the Flames regrouped after a timeout following the Avalanche's second goal and a pep talk from their coach, Bill Peters.

"He said that there was plenty of time left and we had to get skating," Flames defenseman Mark Giordano said. "We weren't even moving the first few shifts, it felt like. But give them credit. That's one of the fastest lines I think I've played against, that MacKinnon line. I thought as the game went on, we did a really good job. That's a huge two points for us."

Before long, Calgary was taking the attack to Colorado and exerting relentless pressure on goalie Semyon Varlamov. Of 41 shots in the game by the Flames, 31 were taken in the second and third periods and OT. The Avalanche, meantime, struggled to penetrate the Calgary zone, getting off only nine of their 26 shots after the first period.

"The last two periods is when we stopped playing offensive hockey. We weren't playing aggressive hockey, which is the way we can play,"

Colorado's Gabriel Landeskog said. "We want to play fast. We see what happens when we play fast. In the first five, 10 minutes of the first period obviously, we were doing pretty good and then we kind of just laid off the gas. All of a sudden, we started making soft plays and it wasn't good enough."

Lindholm sent the game into OT by forcing a turnover in the Colorado zone, taking the puck up close and firing it past Varlamov for the equalizer.

Colorado couldn't stop Gaudreau on a breakaway. He got behind the Avalanche defense and knocked home the game-winner from up close.

"I had kind of a clear breakaway there, tried to fake the shot and come all the way across and found his five-hole," Gaudreau said.

"I think we played better after the timeout. Everyone knew we needed to be better and coach said there was a lot of time left in the game. We beared down and found a way to win."

Calgary broke through for its first goal at 10:52 of the second to pull to within 2-1. Varlamov stopped a shot from Mikael Backlund but the puck popped loose in front of the net. Sam Bennett charged through the slot and got his stick on the puck, shoving it into the net for the score.

Colorado broke on top with two quick goals in the first period, the first coming 11 seconds into the game. Landeskog won the game-opening faceoff and sent the puck into the Calgary zone. Mikko Rantanen sent a shot to the net that goalie David Rittich saved but he couldn't corral the rebound, which found MacKinnon's stick.

MacKinnon wristed the puck into the net for his sixth goal of the season. The goal by MacKinnon equaled the franchise record for most consecutive games (5) with a goal to start a season set by Mats Sundin in 1992-93

J.T. Compher capitalized on a Calgary turnover to score Colorado's second goal at 2:40 of the first. Defenseman T.J. Brodie lost a puck in the Calgary zone when it bounced over his stick and Compher swept in to carry the puck down the ice before knocking it into the net up high for the score.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 6

Frolik scores twice, leads Flames past Bruins 5-2

CALGARY, Alberta -- Michael Frolik went from healthy scratch to catalyst for the Calgary Flames.

Frolik scored two goals to lead the Flames to a 5-2 victory over the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night.

"It feels good when you can help the team win the game," the veteran winger said.

Frolik had to watch his teammates edge the Avalanche 3-2 in overtime Saturday in Colorado.

"I didn't have the start I was looking for, but it's a long season," he said. "I just try to work hard in practice, get better every day and hopefully it's going to turn around.

"Tonight was a good start. Hopefully I can keep going."

Johnny Gaudreau collected his 100th NHL goal and rookie defenseman Juusu Valimaki scored his first for the Flames. Matthew Tkachuk added an empty-net goal.

Mikael Backlund and Michael Stone each had two assists as Calgary won its second straight home game. Goaltender Mike Smith stopped 24 of 26 shots in the win.

"I like the fact we have the ability to generate offense. Now, we'll work on other things," Calgary coach Bill Peters said. "We're not quite there defensively or our play away from the puck in the neutral zone, but when we get there, we'll be a much better team."

Patrice Bergeron had a goal and an assist for the Bruins. Brad Marchand also scored. Bruins netminder Tuukka Rask turned away 24 shots in the loss.

"I don't think we were as clean as we needed to be obviously against a team that forechecks and checks well," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "That was clearly an issue throughout the game. Execution wasn't good enough to beat a good hockey team."

The Bruins trailed 4-2 heading into the final period.

Marchand was lightly defended when he scored at 13:45 of the second, taking a pass from Bergeron and scoring past Smith.

Frolik nearly completed a hat trick on a short-handed breakaway, but his backhanded shot sailed over the Boston net. The Czech's second goal came results from a Boston turnover in the offensive zone. Backlund flipped the puck across the slot, and Frolik tapped it over Rask's stick at 3:32.

On Boston's first rush after killing off Calgary's two-man advantage, Bergeron scored at 2:40 on a give-and-go with David Krejci.

What appeared to be a goal by David Pastrnak late in the first period didn't survive a coach's challenge by Calgary's Bill Peters. The Bruins were ruled offside.

Valimaki's first NHL goal gave the Flames a 3-0 lead at 16:08 of the first period.

With Sam Bennett in front of Rask, the 20-year-old Valimaki's shot from the top of the circle rolled over the goaltender and over the goal line.

"I was happy actually finding out it was mine. Pretty awkward moment at the start because I didn't know it was mine," Valimaki said. "All the guys on the bench said `it's yours' and it felt great."

Gaudreau collected his milestone goal at 15:20. At the top of the crease, Sean Monahan batted the puck down low to the winger, and Gaudreau scored from a tough angle.

Frolik had half an open net for a target following a nice passing play by Tkachuk and Backlund. Tkachuk hustled into the offensive zone to backhand the puck to Backlund, who was moving into the slot. Backlund flipped the puck over to Frolik to score at 4:36.

Game notes

Flames: Gaudreau crumpled after taking a high hit from Bruins defenseman Charlie McAvoy in the third period. Gaudreau played another shift, but was then pulled from the game for concussion protocol. Calgary head coach Bill Peters did not have an update on Gaudreau after the game.