Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Calgary Flames 2018/19 Season Chatter

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 75

3 1

Giordano leads Flames past Canucks 3-1

Hathaway's backhand shot gets by MarkstromJacob Markstrom gets a piece of Garnet Hathaway's shot, but it gets by him as Calgary edges Vancouver 3-1.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Mark Giordano is having the type of season that has impressed his teammates on a nightly basis.

He was at it again Saturday night, with a goal and two assists to lead the Calgary Flames to a 3-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks.

"He puts it all out there every time he's on the ice," goalie Mike Smith said. "And he's getting rewarded for all the hard work he puts in with points this year."

The 35-year-old defenseman has 72 points in 73 games, and is currently riding a seven-game point streak during which he has two goals and eight assists since March 10.

"He deserves every accolade he's getting," Smith said. "He's one of the biggest warriors I have ever played with."

Garnet Hathaway and Andrew Mangiapane also scored, and Smith made 27 saves for the Flames, who snapped the Canucks' three-game winning streak.

The Flames, the first team in the Western Conference to clinch a playoff spot, have 101 points with the victory. It's the first time Calgary had 100 or more points since the 2005-06 season.

"It's an unbelievable accomplishment for our team and the organization," Smith said. "This team has come a long way from the start of the season, and the 100-point mark means you are doing a lot of good things."

But the Flames also acknowledge that there's still plenty of work to be done before the regular season ends.

"We're proud, but we want to keep going, keep playing well going into playoffs, try to solidify the division and go from there," Giordano said.

Brock Boeser had a power-play goal for the Canucks, who are six points behind Colorado for the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference. Jacob Markstrom had 28 saves.

Calgary opened the scoring 9:44 into the first period after Derek Ryan sliced a pass to Giordano from down low. The defenseman collected the puck on his tape and fired a snap shot into the top-left corner of the net over a diving Markstrom.

With less than three minutes to go in the second period, Giordano got the puck to Hathaway in the slot. The right wing got off a back-handed shot and the puck hit Markstrom's right pad before dribbling into the net.

Giordano helped out once again midway through the third, flipping a cross-ice pass to Mangiapane high in the slot. The left wing sent a slap shot flying past Markstrom into the Vancouver net.

"It's each and every night," coach Bill Peters said. "You've seen it all year. I've seen it all year. He just continues to play at a high level."

The Canucks were able to get on the board early in the third period after Calgary's Johnny Gaudreau was called for tripping, giving Vancouver a 4-on-3 power play. Boeser capitalized on the advantage 38 seconds into the frame, firing a wrister under Smith's glove. Boeser has four goals and six assists in his last nine games.

"It was a good hockey game," Canucks coach Travis Green said. "A lot of intensity in the game. You could feel it. It's a good game to learn from. A couple young guys made a couple mistakes. And you learn from those mistakes and you move on."
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 76

0 3

Campbell records 2nd shutout, Kings beat Flames 3-0

Brodzinski goal lifts Kings vs. Flames in chippy game

A fight breaks out between Tyler Toffoli and Matthew Tkachuk at the end of the 1st period. Jonny Brodzinski scores the break-away goal in the 3-0 Kings' win.

CALGARY, Alberta -- The team in last place in the West tripped up the conference leaders Monday night.

Backup goaltender Jack Campbell made 42 saves in his second shutout of the season as the Los Angeles Kings beat the conference-leading Calgary Flames 3-0.

Jonny Brodzinski and defenseman Derek Forbort scored, and Tyler Toffoli added an empty-net goal for Los Angeles, which won its third straight.

Campbell earned his first win since Feb. 5 for the Kings, who won't qualify for the postseason.

"Winning three games in a row now, coming into Calgary with the team they have and getting a win to start the road trip, that's exciting and that's some good hockey right there," Campbell said.

"We've got to keep that going. If we play like this, it'll be a fun however many games we have left."

Flames goaltender Mike Smith made 18 saves.

Calgary (47-22-7) held on to the top spot in the Pacific Division.

Kings defenseman Drew Doughty was booed whenever he touched the puck at the Saddledome. He told Sportsnet earlier in the day he had "no respect" for Flames forward Matthew Tkachuk. The players have history dating to Tkachuk elbowing Doughty in the head two years ago. Tkachuk served a two-game suspension for the hit.

Doughty and Tkachuk tangled early in the third period, with Doughty taking a slashing penalty.

After a scoreless second period, Kings center Brodzinski beat Smith with a wrist shot from the top of the circle at 11:51 of the third for a 2-0 lead.

Calgary trailed 1-0 after two periods despite outshooting the Kings 31-14.

"You need everything clicking at this time of the year if you want to have success," Flames head coach Bill Peters said.

"I don't think we were overly-impressed with our own execution. I thought we could have executed with the puck allowing us to play faster.

"We gave up one early and ended up chasing the game."

Los Angeles ended the first period and opened the second with a two-man advantage, but failed to score.

Forbort threaded a soft wrist shot through traffic and beat Smith on the glove side 57 seconds after the opening faceoff.

"They have crazy talented players and their power-play, I thought we eliminated a lot of their high-end chances because we won some draws and cleared the puck," Campbell said.

"When you do that, they'll get frustrated."

Los Angeles laid 22 hits to Calgary's 11 and kept Flames shots to the perimeter, where Campbell could see them.

"Obviously, Jack was incredible for us and made some big saves at key moments that kept us in the game," Kings defenseman Dion Phaneuf said.

"But we wanted to come in and play a good road game against a very good team. They're where they're at in the standings for a reason.

"They're a deep team, a fast team, they play with structure. I thought we did a really good job tonight and we deserved the win."

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 77

1 2

Dallas beats Calgary 2-1; Bishop exits with apparent injury

CALGARY, Alberta -- Dallas starting goaltender Ben Bishop went down with an injury. Anton Khudobin took over and the Stars never missed a beat.

Alexander Radulov and Miro Heiskanen scored and Bishop and Khudobin combined for 35 saves to lead Dallas to a 2-1 victory over the Calgary Flames on Wednesday.

Play was stopped with Bishop on his knees in obvious discomfort at 13:22 of the second period. He skated off under his own power and went straight to the dressing room.

Bishop appeared to wince earlier in the period after dropping into the butterfly and shuffling across his crease to track a shot.

"(Bishop) made some great saves in the first 30 minutes and (Khudobin) made some great saves in the third. They're making the saves they're called upon, and we're not asking them to make secondary saves sprawling out," said Dallas coach Jim Montgomery.

No update was available on Bishop's condition. He has missed games due to injury three times this season, most recently missing two games in mid-March. Montgomery said he suspected Wednesday's injury was related to the last one, but didn't know for sure.

Dallas, which holds down the first wild card spot in the Western Conference, swept the season series against Calgary and moved within four points of St. Louis for third in the Central Division. The Blues hold a game in hand.

"There's good teams behind us and we want to catch the good teams in front of us. It's important to keep on going and finish this regular season out strong," Stars captain Jamie Benn said.

TJ Brodie scored for Calgary. The Flames' lead over idle San Jose atop both the Pacific Division and Western Conference remained at six points.

The Sharks, who hold a game in hand, have six games remaining.

Khudobin made 15 saves in relief of Bishop and was credited with the win. He improved to 14-16-4.

David Rittich made 21 saves for the Flames. The loss drops his record to 26-8-5.

The only goal of the opening two periods came at 17:26 of the first on a power play.

Picking up the puck behind his own net, Radulov slowly carried the puck up ice uncontested. As he approached the Flames' blue line, he stickhandled right through the closely bunched Calgary trio of Mark Jankowski, Elias Lindholm and Brodie and broke in alone on Rittich, beating him through the pads with a move to his backhand.

"I just went through the middle and I think the puck bounced over their sticks and I just continued to skate and ended up on a breakaway," Radulov said.

That goal was part of an early theme for Calgary, suggested frustrated Flames coach Bill Peters.

"Our level of desperation needs to increase across the board," Peters said. "All three zones, 200 feet, their D are blowing by us in the first five minutes like crazy and jumping by us in the rush. It's almost as if we were unaware."

The Stars made it 2-0 on a second power-play goal at 12:24 of the third, with Heiskanen scoring from a scramble. Dallas converted on both its man-advantage chances.

Brodie got Calgary on the scoreboard at 18:28 of the third, converting a rebound of a shot by Johnny Gaudreau.

"It's playing harder. You can get looks throughout a game, but you don't count looks on the scoreboard. We've got to get to the net, we've got to get in the crease," Flames center Sean Monahan said.

The NHL's highest scoring team at home, Calgary has mustered just one goal in the first two games of this three-game homestand. The Flames lost 3-0 to Los Angeles on Monday night.

The Flames scored 29 times at the Saddledome during their five-game winning streak that preceded this stretch.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 78

6 1

Monahan scores twice, lead Flames over Ducks 6-1

CALGARY, Alberta -- The hats came flying from the stands when Sean Monahan scored his last goal of the game.

The only problem was that it was Monahan's second goal after an earlier goal credited to him was changed -- and the fans at the Saddledome didn't realize it.

It was one of the few miscues of the game for the Flames as Monahan scored twice to set a single-season career high with 33 goals and also added two assists, leading Calgary to a 6-1 win over the Anaheim Ducks on Friday night.

"I'm getting some confidence back, putting the puck in the net. That's huge," said Monahan, who hadn't scored since March 12.

Monahan entered the game with just two goals in his last 19 games, but he broke out with a big game, surpassing his previous best of 31 goals.

"Not playing well for a while, to break out and do that, obviously, it's a good feeling," Monahan said.

Mark Giordano, James Neal, Derek Ryan and Garnet Hathaway also scored for Calgary, which extended its lead atop the Pacific Division and Western Conference to eight points over San Jose. The Flames are looking for their first division title since the 2005-06 season and first conference title since 1989-90. The Sharks have five games remaining, including a home date with Calgary on Sunday.

Andy Welinski scored his first NHL goal for Anaheim.

Tied at 1 after the first period, Calgary took its first lead 3:37 into the second when Monahan knocked in Rasmus Andersson's rebound.

"Mony's been such a good player for us all year. It's going to happen where you're not at the top of your game every single moment," goalie Mike Smith said. "He's been a positive guy that's worked real hard and he deserved everything he got tonight."

Just over six minutes later, Monahan's shot from the slot deflected off Neal and past Ryan Miller for a power-play goal, making it 3-1. The goal -- originally credited to Monahan -- snapped a 0-for-21 skid for the man advantage over the previous eight-plus games.

Mike Smith got the win with 21 saves to improve to 22-15-2. His biggest stop was a breakaway save off Max Jones in the first period, just seconds before Giordano tied it at 15:32.

At the other end, Miller finished with 31 saves.

"He kept us in it, but you've got to score more than one goal, usually, if you're going to win," Ducks forward Devin Shore said. "You feel for him. He's battling and it's unfortunate, we didn't match his compete level."

Calgary put the game away in the third period. Ryan neatly deflected in TJ Brodie's shot at 8:07, Hathaway scored his 11th goal at 14:37 and Monahan capped the scoring at 19:14.

"We really stuck with them through the first," Welinski said. "We played a good period on the road, but they were relentless. They didn't slow down and I think that wore on us."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 79

5 3

Flames top Sharks 5-3, clinch conference, division crowns

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- It wasn't discussed before the Calgary Flames took the ice Sunday night.

It didn't have to be.

With a first divisional championship in 13 years within their grasp, they left nothing to chance.

The Flames scored three times in less than two minutes late in the first period on their way to clinching the top spots in the Western Conference and the Pacific Division with a 5-3 victory over the San Jose Sharks on Sunday night.

"Nothing was said," Flames goalie Mike Smith acknowledged when asked about the mood in the locker before the game. "It was pretty quiet as far as talking about that. There was a feeling that everyone knew what was at stake here, and I think we did a good job of looking after what we needed to look after.

Sean Monahan, Mark Jankowski, Dalton Prout, Mikael Backlund and Michael Frolik all scored for Calgary, which won for the eighth time in 11 games. The Flames will have home-ice advantage throughout the Western Conference playoffs.

It's the first time the Flames have won their division since capturing the Northwest title in 2006.

"It's huge," said Monahan, in his fifth season with Calgary. "I've been here a long time now and it's tough enough to make it to the playoffs, so I think to do what we did is pretty special and it's something I'll always remember.

"We've got a lot of work of ahead of us, and as a group we know what we're in for."

Timo Meier and Logan Couture each had a goal and an assist and Kevin Labanc also scored for the Sharks, who lost for the eighth time in nine games after winning six straight.

The Flames held San Jose to a season-low 15 shots. The Sharks' previous low was 20 against Boston on Feb. 26. San Jose managed just nine shots through the first two periods, and just three in the second.

The Sharks were coming off an emotional 4-3 overtime victory over Vegas on Saturday in which they clinched second in the Pacific. They looked fatigued Sunday.

"We didn't come out the right way," Meier said. "We didn't play the full 60 minutes. I know it's back-to-back, but we need to be better in those situations, playing high-intensity games."

San Jose will play Vegas in the first round.

"I haven't thought about it yet," Couture said. "We have three games left to figure things out. They're a good team. It's going to be a challenge. We haven't been playing well. It seems like we're stuck in mud the last three weeks."

Calgary trailed 1-0 on Meir's 30th goal before Monahan tied it with his 34th at 14:45 of the first period.

Janikowski scored his 34th goal just 31 seconds later, and Prout scored his first of the season at with 3:47 left in the period to put the Flames up 3-1.

Sharks goalie Aaron Dell had 23 saves.

Backlund scored his 21st goal in the second period, and Frolik his 16th in the third to cap the scoring for Calgary.

"It's a group now that nobody wants to be the guy, nobody wants to be the guy that lets anybody down," Flames coach Bill Peters said. "We know how to play, we know how hard it is and the commitment that it takes, and nobody wants to be that guy that drops the ball. And they're holding each other accountable, and on the bench it's all positive, it's real good."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 80

7 2

Ryan scores twice, Flames chase Quick in 7-2 rout of Kings

LOS ANGELES -- The Calgary Flames made wholesale changes to their lineup, sitting two top forwards and four defensemen one night after winning the Pacific Division and securing home-ice advantage throughout the Western Conference playoffs.

They still steamrolled the hapless Los Angeles Kings.

Derek Ryan scored twice, Mark Jankowski had a goal and two assists and the Flames routed the Kings 7-2 on Monday.

"You don't just turn it on in playoff time," Jankowski said. "This is the time of year where you really ramp it up for playoffs, so for us we want to be playing our best hockey going into the playoffs."

Sam Bennett, Johnny Gaudreau, James Neal and Andrew Mangiapane also scored for the Flames, who reached 50 wins for the second time in franchise history. David Rittich made 23 saves.

The only other time the Flames won 50 games was in 1988-89, when they had 54 victories in the regular season before hoisting their only Stanley Cup. Ryan said this group is trying to appreciate its current success but understands what comes next is more important.

"I think that we're trying to take a step back and realize that we've really accomplished something special here, but you're just so consumed in the middle of the season," Ryan said. "All these games going on, it's hard to really do that. I think maybe at the end of the year we can do that, but right now the goal is ahead of us and we're looking forward to that."

Kings goalie Jonathan Quick was removed in the third period after allowing seven goals on 25 shots. Kyle Clifford and Dustin Brown scored, and Anze Kopitar had an assist in his 1,000th game.

It took some time for the reconfigured Flames to find their footing. Gaudreau put them up 3-2 at 6:46 of the second period with a sharp-angle shot into the far corner, but the real barrage started 13 seconds into the third when Neal scored for a 4-2 lead.

Ryan got his second goal at 2:33, and Mangiapane made it 6-2 at 8:30.

Jack Campbell replaced Quick after Jankowski put the Flames ahead 7-2 at 8:45. Campbell made five saves in relief.

"I thought it was a tough game to go out and play, obviously, with things the way they are. But I thought with a lot of new guys drawing into the lineup, they played really well against a tough LA team," Ryan said. "I was really happy about how our roster went out there and were professional and played a really good game."

While the Flames were focused on playing their best hockey going into the playoffs, the Kings sounded like a team finally ready to throw in the towel on a frustrating season.

"I wish we played all four games in a row, to be honest," defenseman Drew Doughty said. "I just want to get this over with."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 81

1 3

Rookies send Anaheim Ducks past playoff-bound Flames, 3-1

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- After Ryan Miller wrapped up his 378th career victory and skated off to an ovation from the Honda Center crowd, the veteran goalie seemed hopeful about the future for himself and the Anaheim Ducks.

The Calgary Flames are just killing time until their bright future starts next week in the playoffs.

Rookies Sam Steel and Max Jones scored first-period goals and the Ducks continued their strong finish with a 3-1 victory over Calgary on Wednesday night.

The 38-year-old Miller made 25 saves in his first win since March 5, and he seemed hopeful it won't be his last. The winningest U.S.-born goalie in NHL history isn't certain to return as John Gibson's backup next year, but he was cautiously optimistic about his hockey future.

"It means a lot to end the season on a win and a positive note as a goaltender," Miller said. "I feel like I can play. We'll have to see what the future holds. Still unsure of a few facts. I feel I can still play. Just want it to be the right situation."

Captain Ryan Getzlaf also scored for the Ducks, who responded to a 6-1 loss to first-place Calgary last week with their 10th win in 16 games overall.

"You want to win every night, but when a team beats you that bad, you definitely want to come back and have a better showing," Steel said.

Anaheim's streak of six straight playoff appearances will end next week thanks to its disastrous 5-21-4 midseason slump. But the Ducks will return in September with a wealth of young talent -- including two promising rookies who put Anaheim up 2-0 less than seven minutes in.

Steel scored for the first time since his hat trick March 26 in Vancouver, while Jones got his second NHL goal to end an 11-game scoring drought.

"You always want to contribute, and (coach Bob Murray) is giving us a chance to do that, so it's awesome," Steel said.

Derek Ryan scored and David Rittich stopped 29 shots for the Pacific Division champion Flames, who will start the postseason next week as the top seed in the Western Conference. With nothing to gain from a win, the Flames rested several healthy regulars, including 82-point scorer Sean Monahan and 78-point scorer Elias Lindholm.

"I didn't think we had a lot of jump or a lot of fire," Ryan said. "It's kind of tough to play in a game like this, but you still have to find a way to be professional. We had our chances, but (it was) just kind of a lackluster performance in my opinion."

Johnny Gaudreau got his 98th point with an assist on Ryan's first-period goal, extending his scoring streak to five games and getting close to his first 100-point season.

"It would be cool, obviously," Gaudreau said. "It's something that I try not to focus on too much, but I realize how close I am. That's not the reason why I'm playing, though, right now. I feel good. I like to be on the ice."

The Flames' three-game winning streak ended, and they lost at Honda Center for the 32nd time in their last 33 appearances. Calgary had lost 29 straight games in Orange County since 2006 before a win early last season.

The Flames have won their division for the first time since 2006, but they've won just one playoff series since 2004. The Ducks' run of five straight Pacific titles ended last season, and they're missing the playoffs this spring for only the third time since 2004.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 82

1 3

McDavid injures leg in Oilers' finale, X-rays negative

CALGARY, Alberta -- Connor McDavid gave the Edmonton Oilers a big scare in the team's final game of the season.

McDavid left Edmonton's 3-1 victory over Calgary on Saturday night after hurting his left leg. It appeared to be a serious injury, but the Oilers tweeted that X-rays were negative.

The next hurdle is an MRI, which the 22-year-old McDavid will have after traveling home with the team.

"You're going between anger and rage and your heart's broken for the guy," Oilers coach Ken Hitchcock said. "So to get some good news right now, we can breathe for a few hours. MRI tells you everything, so we'll hopefully get through the MRI. But we're not out of the woods yet."

McDavid was helped off the ice by teammate Zack Kassian and a trainer -- putting no weight on his leg -- after crashing into the Flames' net early in the second period. He fell to the ice after being challenged by Flames defenseman Mark Giordano and then slid hard into the net. Giordano was penalized for tripping.

"That's the best player in the game. I hope he's OK," said Giordano, the Flames' captain. "I'll reach out to him and hopefully get an answer, but it's a 1-on-1. I'm trying to dive to chip the puck off his stick. It happened so quick."

In hindsight, Giordano thought maybe he'd consider making a different play if he had the chance.

"Obviously, with the result being what it is, if I had to do it all over again, you'd almost want to see myself let him go and not injure him," he said. "But that's easy to say, after the fact."

McDavid held his left leg for several minutes before being helped off.

"He's our leader, he's our go-to guy and when you see him get hurt like that, it stings." Oilers teammate Leon Draisaitl said. "You never want to see that happen to any player, especially him."

The crowd at sold-out Scotiabank Saddledome went quiet as McDavid was being attended to by trainers.

"I think that's the respect factor. They know what kind of player he is. He's an honest player," Edmonton forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins said. "Everybody around the league, all fans, respect that and understand what he means to our team. I'd expect the same from our fans if it happened to another guy on their team in our building and I think everybody was a little bit shocked and just hoping for the best for him."

McDavid was second in the league in scoring this season with a career-high 116 points, 12 behind Tampa Bay's Nikita Kucherov. McDavid's 41 goals equaled his career best.

"It's scary," Oilers defenseman Darnell Nurse said. "He's the best player in the league. You see him go down like that, he's not a guy that ever goes down and stays down. He always hops back up. The guy means so much to not only this team but the organization, the city. I think everyone kind of held their breath there."

Draisaitl scored his 50th goal, and Nurse and Alex Chiasson also had goals for the Oilers, who have missed the postseason 12 times in 13 years.

Mark Jankowski scored for the Flames (50-25-7), who enter the playoffs as the top seed in the Western Conference.

Calgary will face Colorado in the first round. The Flames will have home-ice advantage for the first time since 2006.

"It's exciting," Flames defenseman Travis Hamonic said. "You grind 82 games all year. We start the year in China. Here we are at this point and we've set ourselves up to be in the playoffs, and in the dance. Now we just have to go out and execute like we can."

Edmonton took a 2-1 lead on the power play after McDavid's injury when Chiasson poked a loose puck past Mike Smith after he had stopped Oscar Klefbom's point shot.

Nurse gave the Oilers some insurance 5:21 into the third, holding the puck patiently on a 2-on-1 before firing a shot past Smith high on the glove side.

Edmonton opened the scoring at 10:55 of the first period when Andrej Sekera pinched down the sideboards and got the puck to Draisaitl, who wristed a shot past Smith for his 50th.

Draisaitl became the first Oilers player to reach 50 goals since Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri each did it in the 1986-87 season.

Calgary drew even five minutes later when Jankowski deflected Hamonic's shot past Mikko Koskinen. Johnny Gaudreau had the second assist to get him to 99 points.

Gaudreau fell one point shy of becoming the first Flames player since Theoren Fleury in 1992-93 to record 100 points in a season.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234