Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VGK (2nd) Season Chatter

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 25

6 0

Fleury posts second straight shutout, Vegas beats Sharks 6-0

Max Pacioretty scores back-to-back goals in the first period to extend the Golden Knights' lead 4-0 in an eventual 6-0 win over the Sharks.

LAS VEGAS -- Marc-Andre Fleury is finally having fun this season.

Fleury, a 15-year veteran, stopped 33 shots to earn his league-leading fifth shutout of the season as Vegas defeated the San Jose Sharks 6-0 Saturday night.

It was the second shutout in as many nights for Fleury and marked the first time in his career that he recorded back-to-back shutouts since the 2014-15 season, when he blanked Calgary (Feb. 4) and Edmonton (Feb. 6).

"It's good to get two games in two nights against division rivals and games that mean a lot right now as we're trying to climb back in the standings," said Fleury, who stopped 29 shots on Friday against Calgary. "It's fun, two games at home, get a couple wins -- it's nice."

It was the 53rd shutout of Fleury's career, and moved him into a tie for 23rd all-time with Nashville's Pekka Rinne.

The Sharks came into the game having scored 75 goals this season, tied for sixth in the league. But San Jose couldn't find the back of the net.

The Golden Knights, who started the week near the bottom of the Western Conference standings, have won three straight and are now tied for third with Anaheim in the Pacific Division, both with 25 points.

"We're playing with a lot of pace right now, and that seems to frustrate teams," said Reilly Smith, who registered two assists and is now riding a five-game point streak (1 goal, 7 assists). "I don't think we're really running around doing anything special, but I think it's just frustration's growing on other teams because we're loading quickly and making it tough on them."

Max Pacioretty scored twice and William Karlsson, Colin Miller, William Carrier and Alex Tuch also scored for Vegas.

"You obviously want to contribute, but most important thing is the wins," said Pacioretty, who has at least one point in four of his last five games. "When we were losing from lack of scoring and the puck wasn't going in for me, you obviously take that on your shoulders. But nights like tonight it's definitely a group effort."

San Jose netminder Aaron Dell, who registered shutouts in his previous two starts, made 30 saves in the loss.

"We weren't good tonight," San Jose coach Peter DeBoer said. "Two of our last three games were shutouts, we're 4-1-1 in our last home games, so you know what, we had a bad night. It happens."

Karlsson got the Golden Knights on the board moments after the puck drop, scoring the fastest goal in franchise history, just 14 seconds into the game. Miller, who also had an assist, ripped a slap shot from the circle to make it 2-0 shortly thereafter.

Pacioretty scored the team's next two goals, later in the period. The four goals in the first period were the most in any period by the Golden Knights this season.

Carrier got the lone goal in the second period when he backhanded the puck just under Dell's pads to make it 5-0, and Tuch continued his impressive season with his seventh goal of the season in the third period.

"We played our game tonight, it was great," Vegas coach Gerard Gallant said. "We played a real good hockey team over there and we played the type of game that we're used to playing. It was a fast game, it was a quick game, but we were real competitive tonight."
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 26

8 3

Golden Knights pound Blackhawks 8-3 for 4th straight win

Corey Crawford turns it over in his own zone, and Alex Tuch makes him pay with a wicket wrist shot to make it 2-0 Golden Knights.

CHICAGO -- These Vegas Golden Knights are beginning to look like the old Vegas Golden Knights.

Well, like the Golden Knights of last season, at least.

Cody Eakin and Shea Theodore each had two goals and an assist, and Vegas beat the Chicago Blackhawks 8-3 on Tuesday night for its season-high fourth consecutive victory.

"I think everyone's putting in the work," Eakin said. "I think it's just a matter of finding that chemistry with new guys. Our D are playing the right way. Our forwards are getting open for them. We're doing the right things and we're starting to see some positive outcomes from it."

Alex Tuch added a goal and an assist as Vegas continued its resurgence in the opener of a three-game trip. William Karlsson, Ryan Reaves and Daniel Carr also scored, and Marc-Andre Fleury made 21 saves for his sixth win in his last seven starts.

The Golden Knights (13-12-1), who made it to the Stanley Cup Final last season as an expansion team, improved to 4-0 against the Blackhawks since entering the league.

"We've been trying to concentrate on our defensive part. Getting pucks out and simplifying has really helped," Tuch said. "I know we have a lot of offensive weapons in this room, but if we concentrate on the team first, things are working out for us."

Dylan Strome had a goal and an assist in his Chicago debut, but the sliding Blackhawks lost for the third time in four games. Defensemen Gustav Forsling and Erik Gustafsson also scored.

Chicago goaltender Corey Crawford stopped 24 of 30 shots before he was replaced by Cam Ward for the third period. Ward finished with 11 saves.

"If you don't defend hard enough then you don't give yourself a chance to win," coach Jeremy Colliton said.

Strome and Brendan Perlini were acquired in a trade with Arizona on Sunday night for Nick Schmaltz in a swap of former first-round draft picks. Strome, who went No. 3 overall in 2015, looked quite comfortable while centering a line with former junior hockey teammate Alex DeBrincat and Patrick Kane.

But that was about the only bright spot for Chicago (9-11-5), which got off to another slow start and committed a couple of ugly errors in its worst defensive performance of the season.

"We're giving up way too much," captain Jonathan Toews said. "Getting behind the 8-ball early in games and tonight, we start pressing, trying to create offense, and we just open things up way more, and just make mistakes."

Carr, Tuch and Eakin scored in the first as Vegas jumped out to a 3-0 lead. Carr got his first of the season at 2:10, Tuch picked off Crawford's errant pass and extended his goal streak to three games at 12:14, and Eakin converted a slick backhand in front at 16:14.

The Blackhawks have been outscored 11-1 in the first period over their last four games.

Fleury lost a shutout streak of 150 minutes, 54 seconds when Forsling's shot ricocheted off Karlsson and into the net 29 seconds into the second. Karlsson responded with a power-play goal at 6:27.

"I felt we controlled the game in the second and third," Fleury said. "I thought we had the puck and we didn't give them many shots."

Theodore and Reaves also scored in the second to extend the Golden Knights' lead to 6-2 going into the third. Eakin was credited for his 10th of the season when his shot went off Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith all alone in front and into the net midway through the final period.

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 27

4 3

Pacioretty scores twice as Golden Knights beat Canucks 4-3

William Karlsson scores the go-ahead goal to defeat the Canucks 4-3 and push the Golden Knights' win streak to 5 games.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Marc-Andre Fleury turned 34 this week and was happy to be asked after Thursday night's win whether he's getting quicker with age.

"Thank you, I'll take that," the Vegas goaltender said. "They keep calling me `old man.' I don't know, I just try to get in front of the puck as quick as I can."

Fleury made 33 saves and Max Pacioretty scored twice to lead the Golden Knights past the struggling Vancouver Canucks 4-3 for their fifth straight victory.

William Karlsson's short-handed goal with 6:25 remaining snapped a 3-all tie. William Carrier also scored for Vegas.

"That never-quit attitude has been there for our team, has been there during this streak, and we've seen how well we can play when we play the right way," Pacioretty said.

The former Montreal Canadiens captain has eight goals in his last seven games.

"It's been a lot of fun but we have to keep going," he said.

Brock Boeser had two goals for Vancouver, which has lost 10 of 11, and defenseman Alex Edler scored his first of the season. Jacob Markstrom stopped 27 shots.

"You're playing a team that went to the Stanley Cup finals last year. I thought that was a very well-played game by our team and a lot of compete," Canucks coach Travis Green said.

"It's disheartening to lose right now, but I know when we go back and watch the tape, that's one of the games that you played well and lost."

Vegas had yet to register a single shot when the Canucks opened the scoring nearly 10 minutes in.

Vancouver rookie Elias Pettersson picked the pocket of Vegas defenseman Nate Schmidt in front of the Golden Knights net, then sent a no-look pass to Boeser from his knees.

Boeser got the puck in the slot and hammered a quick wrist shot past Fleury.

"I don't know. It's tremendous," Boeser said, trailing off. "He told me on the bench that he heard me yelling, he didn't know where I was. It's a great play. I'm not surprised, though."

Pettersson said he hadn't heard his teammate calling and that the pass was "a good guess."

"I tried to go around the defender. I got tripped. Then I had a feeling that one of my teammates would be around that area so I just gave it a shot and it just went right on the tape," he said.

The 20-year-old has 22 points in his first 22 NHL games. But his said this one was frustrating because the Canucks did enough to win.

"Of course I think we played really well," Pettersson said. "Sometimes you lose games when you should have won and sometimes it's the vice versa. I think we played one of our better games this year."

The Golden Knights tied it before the end of the first period following a flurry in front of the Canucks net. Markstrom made a save but couldn't smother the rebound, and the puck popped off Carrier's skate and in.

Pacioretty scored a power-play goal early in the second after Canucks defenseman Troy Stecher was called for high-sticking. He put another past Markstrom 1:13 into the third, rocketing a one-timer over the goalie's shoulder.

Edler brought the Canucks within one less than a minute later, putting in a rebound of Bo Horvat's shot for his first goal this season.

Boeser knotted the score again midway through the third, sneaking around the side of the Vegas net and putting in a wrister past Fleury. The right wing's sixth goal came after he missed 11 games this month with a lower-body injury.

Karlsson netted the winner after Reilly Smith found him down low on a Canucks power play.

"We've been scoring a lot of goals and that helps a lot, always," Fleury said. "I think we have been playing consistently throughout the game, and game to game. I think we have been better at it and it's been paying off."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 28

Spooner scores first goal with Oilers in 2-1 win over Vegas

Jujhar Khaira feeds a pass in front to Ryan Spooner, who puts it in the back of the net to give the Oilers a 2-1 lead early in the 3rd period.

EDMONTON, Alberta -- The Edmonton Oilers took a gamble on goalie Mikko Koskinen and it's paying off.

Koskinen stopped 31 shots and Ryan Spooner scored the tiebreaking goal early in the third period, lifting the Oilers to a 2-1 victory over the Vegas Golden Knights on Saturday night.

Koskinen, now 8-2-1 on the season, was a bit of a question mark coming into the season as a 30-year-old free-agent signing who had only played four games for the New York Islanders in 2010-2011 before moving on to the KHL. But he is now 5-0-0 in home games for the Oilers and has a 2.15 goals-against average in 12 appearances.

"He has been great, really solid for us for us for a long time," said Connor McDavid, who also scored for Edmonton. "And now we are starting to find ways to get wins for him.

"We are winning games. It's not always pretty, but we are getting it done and that is all that matters."

On the go-ahead goal, Ty Rattie forced a turnover behind the Vegas net and the puck popped in front to Spooner, who put it in at 5:50 of the final period. It was his first goal in eight games since coming to Edmonton in a trade with the New York Rangers.

"It feels great. I just want to go out there and help out," Spooner said. "It has been kind of a rough start for me here and it's been getting into my head a little bit. I just have to go out there and play and help out, that's the most important thing."

The Oilers won their third straight and improved to 4-1-1 under new coach Ken Hitchcock. Mikko Koskinen stopped 31 shots.

William Karlsson scored for the Golden Knights, who snapped a season-high five-game winning streak.

"We're not looking for moral victories, we dug a hole for ourselves earlier this year, so we have to keep winning games," Vegas forward Max Pacioretty said. "If we play like that we'll win some more, but there are areas to clean up and I think we have to address that."

Marc-Andre Fleury finished with 32 saves.

"It was a close game," he said. "There were a couple of breaks here and there on their part for their goals, but other than that, I thought it was a pretty solid game."

Vegas was all over Edmonton with an 8-2 edge in shots early, but the Oilers struck first when McDavid sped on a partial breakaway and beat Fleury for his 14th of the season at 6:11 of the first.

The Golden Knights tied it with 7:43 left in the second as Karlsson picked up a rebound in front and tucked it past Koskinen for his fourth goal in his last four games.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 29

5 3

Schmidt scores twice to lift Vegas past Capitals 5-3

Nate Schmidt skates past a defender and flicks in a wrist-shot goal, putting the Golden Knights ahead of the Capitals in a 5-3 win.

LAS VEGAS -- Vegas' Nate Schmidt has acknowledged there are times that playing hockey isn't fun, including losing to the Washington Capitals in the Stanley Cup finals.

The defenseman erased some of that pain on Tuesday night.

Schmidt scored twice in the final two minutes to lift the Golden Knights over the Capitals 5-3.

It was the first time Washington skated at T-Mobile Arena since winning and hoisting Stanley Cup in June.

"(Coach Gerard Gallant) really came in here in the second period, and hasn't done it much, and challenged our group to go out and have a better third period," Schmidt said. "And I think up and down our lineup our guys responded, and I think that's the important part about tonight's game."

With the game tied 3-3, Schmidt burst through the neutral zone and beat goalie Braden Holtby with a tiebreaking wrist shot with 1:24 left for his first goal of the season. The former Capitals player added an empty-netter moments later.

"It was an emotional game, it was a big win and I like the way our team responded to a challenge," Schmidt said. "That's the reason you play hockey, is games like that. You had the lead changes, you had swings, you had them buzzing and we were going. It was just a great hockey game. Those are the types of things you want to be a part of. Over 82 games, you've got to find some things to get yourself up for, and that was one of them."

Ryan Reaves, Pierre Edouard-Bellemare and Cody Eakin also scored for the Golden Knights, while Marc-Andre Fleury made 23 saves.

Jakub Vrana had two goals and Alex Ovechkin scored for Washington. Holtby also stopped 23 shots.

Reaves and Washington's oft-suspended Tom Wilson renewed their fierce rivalry, with several brutal hits that ignited the crowd, including a vicious shoulder-to-shoulder connection that ended Wilson's night in the second period. After trading shots and verbal jabs throughout the first two periods, Reaves leveled Wilson, who was helped from the ice. Reaves was ejected and given a game misconduct penalty.

"That was a man's game out there. . I thought he was just looking at his pass, and he ran into a lion in the jungle," said Reaves, who added he didn't believe the hit was ejection-worthy. "If he sees me, I know he's gonna try and lay me out and I'm not gonna let that happen. I thought it was shoulder to shoulder and I didn't think it was that late."

Said Gallant: "I think we all seen the hit and video, it's a clean hit, there's nothing wrong with the hit. Unfortunate a player got hurt, but it was a clean hit."

Washington coach Todd Reirden said Wilson would be re-evaluated Wednesday.

"That was something that he targeted him," Reirden said. "Reaves targeted him the entire game. You could hear it on every faceoff, you could hear the things that were being said and it's a blindside hit where an unsuspecting player hits his head on the ice. That's disappointing. You can put two and two together but he targeted him the entire game."

As a result of Reaves' ejection, the Golden Knights were forced to kill a five-minute penalty that stretched from the end of the second period to the start of the third. The Golden Knights rank third in the league with a penalty kill percentage of 84.9 percent. Vegas killed all four of Washington's power play opportunities.

Reaves also notched his sixth goal of the season, one shy of his career high, when he took a feed from Eakin 2:30 in. Vrana tied the game late in the period, and Ovechkin's backhand gave the Capitals a 2-1 lead during the second period. Bellemare's redirect early in the third tied the game, and 16 seconds later, Eakin scored his team-leading 11th goal. Vrana's second goal of the game tied the game at 3-all.

"I can't lie, this is a good feeling; in front of our crowd, it was loud, it was so much fun and Nate to score the game-winner, that was awesome," Fleury said. "A little story book, just a few months too late. But we'll still take it."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 30

4 3

Marchessault, Tuch lift Golden Knights over Blackhawks 4-3

Max Pacioretty gets the puck to the front of the net, where Alex Tuch is able to put it past Corey Crawford and give the Golden Knights a 4-3 lead.

LAS VEGAS -- Two days after beating the Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals for their biggest win of the season, the Vegas Golden Knights weren't about to let themselves slip up against slumping Chicago.

But they came awfully close.

Jonathan Marchessault and Alex Tuch scored 12 seconds apart in the third period to send the surging Golden Knights past the Blackhawks 4-3 on Thursday night.

"Every game is big, every win is big. It's two points," Tuch said. "Especially at home. I thought our crowd showed up and did a really good job of keeping us in there."

Playing in front of 18,494 fans -- the second-largest crowd in the two-year history of the franchise -- Vegas won for the seventh time in eight games and moved into a third-place tie with San Jose in the Pacific Division.

The Blackhawks, meanwhile, dropped their sixth straight and have been outscored 30-17 during the skid.

After allowing the Blackhawks to score three consecutive goals for a 3-2 lead in the third, the defending Western Conference champions responded. Marchessault fired a shot past goalie Corey Crawford to tie the game, and 12 seconds later it was Tuch punching one in to put Vegas back on top.

Vegas' game-winning goal didn't come without controversy, though, as Chicago coach Jeremy Colliton challenged for goaltender interference. A video review determined Max Pacioretty was forced into Crawford by Blackhawks defenseman Brandon Manning while he backhanded the puck to Tuch, who slipped it through Crawford's legs.

"I thought it was (a goal) when I saw the replay," Tuch said. "Then I was like, `I don't know what's going to happen.' But you know what? They called it a goal and when you think about it after that you're just really happy. I just wanted to get it to the net so I made a quick little give-and-go play ... then I just tried to get it on the net and found a hole."

Reilly Smith had a goal and two assists and Deryk Engelland scored his first goal of the season for the Golden Knights. Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 32 shots.

Jonathan Toews, Dylan Strome and Artem Anisimov scored for Chicago. Crawford made 32 saves.

"We had the lead in the third and found a way to give it up again," Toews said. "Whatever happens early on, we're finding ways to stay in games and give ourselves a chance to win. Just (stinks) we couldn't hang on to it. ... Anytime you're in a slump, whether it's as a player or as a team, it's hard to get out of it. It's a mental thing. You've just got to find a way to relax and stay with your process when things are going well and when you're in control of the game."

The Golden Knights continued to dominate with their penalty kill, as they've gone seven games without allowing a power-play goal. Since Nov. 23, Vegas has denied 20 consecutive power-play opportunities by opponents, including four against Chicago.

"We're just going out there as a unit, whoever is out there, and working together and doing our job," Engelland said. "And with (Fleury) back there bailing us out whenever we need him."

Vegas took an early lead when Smith tipped the puck to himself over Crawford, then dove across the crease while shooting it into the net.

Engelland scored when his wrist shot from the point sailed over Crawford's glove.

Toews inched closer to his 700th career point when he slammed a carom off the end boards past Fleury and cut Vegas' lead in half four minutes into the second.

Later in the period it was Strome gathering Alex DeBrincat's rebound and firing a shot from a wicked angle to tie it at 2.

Anisimov gave Chicago its third straight goal when he streaked in to intercept Nick Holden's pass and beat Fleury on a breakaway with a backhand seven minutes into the third.

And while Vegas coach Gerard Gallant was happy with the win, he was critical of his team's execution.

"We scored two goals and won the game, but I thought it was a pretty even third period," Gallant said. "I don't think we're really happy with our game again tonight. I thought Chicago played a great game. They came in here and worked hard. ... I just didn't think we were at the level we were supposed to be. We got a win, and it's always great to get the two points, but I thought Chicago came in here and deserved a little better."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 31

1 5

Kings tie season high in goals with 5-1 victory over Vegas

The Kings' Jeff Carter gets the puck and somehow scores a goal from behind the net.

LOS ANGELES -- Lack of scoring and being ineffective on special teams are a huge reason why Los Angeles is at the bottom of the Western Conference standings. But the Kings broke out of their offensive malaise on Saturday, tying a season high in goals as they defeated the Vegas Golden Knights 5-1.

"It's probably one of our more dominant wins and we actually played a good team here in Vegas, very good team. It was a full 60 minutes," said defenseman Drew Doughty, who had an assist. "When your team does that, you're going to win more hockey games and hopefully we realized that tonight because we need to win more."

The Kings scored their most goals since a 5-2 victory over Edmonton on Nov. 25. It was only the sixth time in 30 games that they have scored four or more goals. Los Angeles, which has two wins in its last five games, has a league-low 23 points and with 66 goals is last in the league in scoring.

Oscar Lindberg scored for Vegas less than five minutes into the game before Los Angeles got goals from Nikita Scherbak, Matt Luff, Jeff Carter, Derek Forbort and Nate Thompson. Jonathan Quick made 29 saves.

Forbort also had an assist for his second multipoint game of the season, and Jake Muzzin added two assists.

Kings coach Willie Desjardins was pleased with how the team started, but what made him happier was the performance of his specialty teams. They got their first power-play goal in five games and killed all three of Vegas' opportunities. Los Angeles had allowed a power-play goal in five of its last six games coming into Saturday.

The Kings came into the game with the third-worst power play in the league, while the Golden Knights were second in penalty killing.

"I thought our leaders did a great job today. They talked about the power play and penalty killing and we responded with a great effort on the kill today," Desjardins said.

Lindberg opened the scoring four minutes into the game when he took a pass from Tomas Nosek in front of the net and slipped it through Quick's legs. Scherbak evened it four minutes later on the power play when his snap shot from just beyond the right faceoff circle beat Marc-Andre Fleury. Scherbak -- who scored on his fourth shift with the team -- was claimed on waivers from Montreal on Sunday, but his debut was delayed due to work visa problems.

"That's probably one of those moments that is going to stick to my memory for a while, definitely. And that's a great win. We deserved it," Scherbak said.

The game was tied at 1 after the first period when the Kings took control with a pair of goals in the second. Luff scored a power-play goal on a one-timer from Brendan Leipsic with less than eight minutes to go. Four minutes later, Carter was credited with his sixth goal of the season on a shot he played off the boards that bounced off the right skate of Vegas defenseman Nate Schmidt and went into the net.

Forbort's shot from near the blue line while Fleury was being screened put the Kings up by three less than three minutes into the third, then Muzzin fed Thompson for a one-timer with less than two minutes remaining.

Fleury stopped 20 shots for the Golden Knights, who had won seven of their last eight.

"You can't turn pucks over to them," Schmidt said. "You can't get into that style game, because that's what they want. They want you to turn a few pucks over coming into the zone and counter. And I thought we fed their attack."

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 32

4 2

Tuch's game-winner lifts Vegas past Dallas, 4-2

Alex Tuch cleans up Colin Miller's deflected shot and scores in goal through the 5-hole in traffic.

LAS VEGAS -- The Vegas Golden Knights know the importance of winning at home.

Last season they went 29-10-2 on home ice during the regular season, en route to their remarkable run to the Stanley Cup Final.

This year, once again, the defending Western Conference champions are taking advantage of the atmosphere inside T-Mobile Arena.

Alex Tuch got his 10th goal of the season and the Golden Knights won their fifth straight at home, beating the Dallas Stars 4-2 Sunday night. Vegas improved to 10-3-1 at home.

"It doesn't feel common because it's so loud and the building is unbelievable and I've never seen nothing like this," Vegas coach Gerard Gallant said. "I've been in the NHL quite a long time -- this is incredible. Every game we play the crowd just gets behind us and they really lift our hockey team."

Ryan Carpenter, William Karlsson and Reilly Smith also scored, while Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 22 shots.

Tuch became the fifth Golden Knights player to reach double figures in goals just before the end of the second period, when he chopped a loose puck just past defenseman Miro Heiskanen's skate and through goaltender Ben Bishop's five-hole to give the Golden Knights a 3-1 lead.

"It's a 20-man effort, 20-man win, we need it every night for 60 full minutes and I thought we had it tonight," Tuch said. "Everyone is working hard and if you made a mistake -- I made plenty out there tonight -- but you know what, you forget about it, you go out and give a better shift the next time around. That's what (Gallant) is all about and that's what this organization is all about. And I thought all 20 guys played hard and had a lot of heart tonight."

The Golden Knights and Dallas have two of the best penalty kills in the NHL, both coming into the game ranked in the top five.

For the second time in four games the Golden Knights were faced with killing an extended penalty, as Shea Theodore was sent to the box for high sticking with Vegas leading 3-2. Fleury stopped all three shots during the four-minute double-minor, while Nate Schmidt had two takeaways and Brayden McNabb blocked another shot.

"That was the game," Gallant said. "We were up by a goal with a double-minor to kill late in the hockey game and I don't know if they really got a chance, maybe one or two, but I thought our PK was outstanding when it had to be. Sure, they got two (power play) goals earlier in the game but when they really had to step up, they did an unbelievable job and that was real key for us winning."

The Stars, who came into the game ranked 21st on the power play, were 2 for 4 with an extra man.

Martin Hanzal and Esa Lindell scored for Dallas, and Bishop made 24 saves. The Stars snapped a four-game winning streak.

"In this league you need a top-notch effort to have a chance in this league every night," Dallas coach Jim Montgomery said. "I thought that they outcompeted us tonight."

After Hanzal gave Dallas a 1-0 lead early in the first period, Vegas tied the game when Carpenter gathered the loose puck from a rebound and fired it into the open net near the end of the first. It was the second straight game the Golden Knights' often-quiet third line scored, providing balance to a team that ranks 17th in the league with 2.97 goals per game.

The Golden Knights scored a pair of even-strength goals immediately following power-play opportunities in the second period.

Karlsson lasered the puck through Bishop's pads 3 seconds after the Stars killed off an interference penalty on Hanzal, and Tuch's game-winner came nine seconds after Brett Ritchie left the box for roughing. Smith's empty-net goal with 28 seconds left provided the final margin.

The Golden Knights now take an 8-2 win streak on the road for a four-game road trip through New York, New Jersey and Columbus.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 33

3 2

Nosek's goal in 3rd helps Golden Knights beat Islanders 3-2

The Golden Knights go on the power play just seconds into the game, and Tomas Nosek capitalizes with a wrist shot to give Las Vegas the early lead.

NEW YORK -- Tomas Nosek jumped on a loose puck to help the Vegas Golden Knights' open their trip with a victory.

Nosek scored the tiebreaking goal early in the third period and the surging Golden Knights beat the New York Islanders 3-2 on Wednesday night for their ninth win in 11 games.

Oscar Lindberg's shot from the top of the left circle was stopped by goalie Robin Lehner. However, as the puck lay at the right side, neither Lehner nor defenseman Thomas Hickey immediately went for it, and Nosek put it in for his third 3:32 into the third.

"I saw the puck was loose so I just tried to go under (Hickey's) stick, and I think I hit that and the post and then put it in." Nosek said. "It's great to have a win like that on the road."

The play started with a turnover by defensemen Ryan Pulock in the corner and Vegas' Ryan Carpenter got the puck to Lindberg.

"It was a quick turnover and Lindy did a good job getting open and he got a good, quick shot, maybe surprised the goalie," Carpenter said. "And then Nosek did a good job outworking that guy and winning the battle in front."

Jonathan Marchessault and William Karlsson also scored for the Golden Knights, who are 10-3-1 at home but improved to 8-11-0 on the road in the opener of a four-game trip. Marc-Andre Fleury, who made his 11th straight start, stopped 23 shots to take over the NHL victory lead with 18.

Anthony Beauvillier and Adam Pelech scored for New York. The Islanders have lost six of eight (2-4-2). Robin Lehner finished with 14 saves to fall to 0-4-2 in his last seven appearances.

"We played well in so many areas of the game but we gave them things that were a little bit unforced," Islanders coach Barry Trotz said. "Turnovers cost us."

On Nosek's go-ahead goal, Hickey said there was miscommunication between him and Lehner.

"It's on the both of us to communicate and get it out of harm or recover it," he said.

Pelech nearly tied it about three minutes later, but his shot rang off the goalpost.

New York pulled Lehner for an extra skater with a little more than a minute remaining, but couldn't get the equalizer.

Vegas' 17 shots on goal was a season-low, eclipsing the 21 they had in a 1-0 win at Philadelphia on Oct. 13.

"We didn't have a ton of shots," Carpenter said. "Fleury made some big saves for us, we capitalized on some chances. Starting the road trip like this definitely feels good and gives us some confidence."

The Islanders failed to score on their lone power-play chance to fall to 1 for 28 over the last 12 games.

Fleury made successive stops on Mathew Barzal in front about 6 1/2 minutes into the second period to keep the score tied 1-1.

New York then went ahead when Barzal brought the puck up the left side on a rush, stopped and sent the puck to Pelech at the center point and the defenseman fired it in for his third with 8:41 left. Barzal got his second assist of the game and team-leading 22nd of the season.

After a giveaway by Islanders defenseman Nick Leddy, Karlsson tied it 2-2 with a shot from the right circle for his 11th with 3:29 left in the middle period.

Vegas went on the power play just 19 seconds into the game when the Islanders' Casey Cizikas was whistled for cross-checking. The Golden Knights took advantage just 15 seconds later as Marchessault got a pass from defenseman Colin Miller in the right circle and beat Lehner up high from the dot for his 12th.

Beauvillier tied it less than three minutes later. He took a pass from Johnny Boychuk in front and beat Fleury through the five-hole at 3:17 for his ninth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12