Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VGK (2nd) Season Chatter

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 50

7 3

Marchessault's hat trick helps Vegas beat Penguins 7-3

Jonathan Marchessault finds the back of the net three times as the Golden Knights rout the Penguins 7-3.

LAS VEGAS -- Jonathan Marchessault and William Karlsson have struggled to find the back of the net since Dec. 22, scoring a combined three goals over 12 games.

Vegas' dynamic top-line forwards topped that Saturday night.

Marchessault scored three goals for his second career hat trick and Karlsson got his 16th of the season to help lead the Golden Knights to a 7-3 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"Our first period we weren't necessarily happy; as a line we take a lot of pride playing well defensively and we gave a little too much chances, but we played better in the second half of the game," Marchessault said. "Hopefully (I) get going a little bit more here. It's definitely been a tough stretch. I just want to get out there and help my teammates."

Marchessault scored twice less than four minutes apart in the second period to give Vegas a 5-3 lead. His empty-netter with 21 seconds left in the game completed the scoring with the Golden Knights' first hat trick of the season and third in franchise history.

Shea Theodore, Max Pacioretty and Oscar Lindberg also scored as the Golden Knights improved to 16-4-3 at home this season. Marc-Andre Fleury, who spent his first 13 seasons with the Penguins, stopped 34 shots to earn his league-leading 27th victory.

"It was fun, it was busy both sides, I wish maybe there wasn't three goals going in the net," said Fleury, who also leads the league with 43 starts. "It's always weird (playing against Pittsburgh), I don't know when it will stop. Just weird to see these guys out there, guys I practiced with every day for (13) years. It's nice to win though."

Phil Kessel, Dominik Simon and Sidney Crosby scored for Pittsburgh, and Casey DeSmith finished with 28 saves.

Both goalies were exceptional against two of the more high-energy offenses in the league. All 18 Vegas skaters had at least one shot, while 14 of Pittsburgh's 18 had one shot.

"It's a great team that you're playing, you're playing superstars over there, you're playing Crosby and you're playing (Evgeni) Malkin and those types of players -- that's the fun part of these games," Vegas coach Gerard Gallant said. "I like the way our team responded tonight and I like the way that we competed and battled. It wasn't looking good when it was 3-3.

"We got six goals against their goaltender but I thought he was outstanding. He made some great saves and I thought Fleury made some unbelievable saves too. They both played a great game. It could've been a 9-7 game for somebody."

The Penguins concluded their sixth of 11 back-to-back situations, after winning 4-3 in overtime at Arizona on Friday. Pittsburgh is 8-3-1 in back to backs, going 5-0-1 the first night and 3-3-0 the second.

Teams making stops in Arizona, then Vegas, are now 1-7 against the Golden Knights after playing the Coyotes.

The Penguins came out flying to dominate the start of the second period to erase a two-goal deficit with consecutive goals by Simon and Crosby inside the first six minutes to tie the score 3-3. Jake Guentzel, who has eight goals in nine games since the start of 2019, assisted on both goals.

But after Pittsburgh's would-be fourth goal was overturned when the NHL's Situation Room deemed Malkin kicked the puck into the net, things began to unravel, and the Golden Knights gained momentum off Marchessault's two goals.

"We just didn't play the game very smart; I thought the second period we were terrific, we climbed back into it, and then we end up giving up two goals late in that period that were avoidable," Pittsburgh coach Mike Sullivan said. "Give Vegas credit, they're a good team, they're hard to play against. But to a certain extent we beat ourselves."
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Game # 51

2 4

Coyle's third-period goal sends Wild past Golden Knights 4-2

Charlie Coyle's first shot is stopped, but Jared Spurgeon sets him up again and Coyle makes no mistake in the Wild's win over the Golden Knights.

LAS VEGAS -- The Vegas Golden Knights' home arena has a reputation among some NHL players as being one of the toughest to play in and loudest in the league.

The Minnesota Wild don't mind it a bit.

Charlie Coyle scored his second game-winning goal of the season with 5:31 remaining Monday to lift the Wild past the Golden Knights 4-2.

Minnesota, which is 4-0-1 against the Golden Knights since they entered the league, is 2-0-0 in Vegas.

"It's a huge win obviously. You get into the later part of the season, so make sure you get every point you can, especially those (close) games," Coyle said. "It's a pretty good show here, it's cool to watch, it's cool to be part of -- we love playing here."

With the puck loose in front of the net, Jared Spurgeon sent a perfect pass to Coyle, who beat Vegas goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury with a high shot that put the Wild in front.

Marcos Foligno, Eric Staal and Mikko Koivu also scored for the Wild. Devan Dubnyk, who has stopped 64 of 67 shots in his last three games, made 30 saves to improve to 3-0-1 against Vegas.

Dubnyk said he was pleased to see faithful Wild fans among the announced crowd of 18,328, and that hearing chants of "Doob! Doob!" after several big saves ignited his play down the stretch.

"This is only our second time here, the atmosphere in the building is incredible," Dubnyk said. "It's cool, we get a pretty good following in certain buildings, Colorado will be another one, there's lots of people from Minnesota that travel there. It makes playing on the road a little more exciting because you got fans cheering. It definitely makes it a lot more entertaining."

Alex Tuch and Max Pacioretty scored for the Golden Knights, while Fleury made 18 saves.

Vegas, which remained in third place in the Pacific Division behind first-place Calgary and San Jose, came into the game after an emotional 7-3 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday. But coach Gerard Gallant rebuked the notion his team came in flat after its up-tempo game with the Penguins.

"They scored three goals from the blue paint basically and Flower played an outstanding game when he had to make saves, but he's not gonna stop them when guys are leaving them wide open in the back door," Gallant said. "I don't think we played good today, I don't think we showed up ready to play a team that was aggressive for points. I don't think we played hard enough."

Especially when the Knights had an opportunity to seize control of the game with a 5-on-3 power play, after Ryan Suter was called for slashing 15 seconds into the third period, and Marcus Foligno was sent off for delay of game 49 seconds later.

Minnesota came into the game boasting the league's second-best penalty kill, and limited Vegas to just two shots on goal during its power play, while blocking five other shots. The Wild has been successful on 23 of their last 26 penalty kill situations.

"I thought once we killed the 5-on-3 it really energized the bench and they thought they were going to do anything not to lose at that point," Minnesota coach Bruce Boudreau said. "Anytime you can kill a 5-on-3, that team usually wins."

Vegas did get one power-play goal, though, after Jonathan Marchessault drove into the offensive zone and delayed just enough to draw Dubnyk to his left before feeding Tuch, who gave Vegas a 1-0 lead. The Wild answered with two second-period goals in a span of 1:13 with scores by Foligno and Staal. Vegas tied the game when Paul Stastny found USA Hockey linemate Pacioretty, whose shot beat Dubnyk between the pads. Koivu's empty-net goal with 13 seconds left was the 200th goal of his career.

The victory moved the Wild past Dallas, Colorado and Vancouver in the Western Conference wild-card race, and into third place in the Central Division. Minnesota takes on Colorado on Wednesday, the final game before the All-Star break for both teams.

"Believe me, it's not gonna stay this way," Boudreau said. "There's gonna be a lot of interchanges before this season is out. But every time you can pick up two points, you're closer to being where you want to be."
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123