Thread: Flyers vs Sharks | 9th Oct 2018

Philadelphia Flyers Moderator

Flyers vs Sharks | 9th Oct 2018

https://www.nhl.com/news/san-jose-sh...ew/c-300780246

by Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK / NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor

SHARKS (1-2-0) at FLYERS (1-1-0)

7 p.m. ET; NBCSN, NHL.TV

The Game

The Philadelphia Flyers will play their home opener when they host the San Jose Sharks at Wells Fargo Center on Tuesday.

The Flyers began the season with a two-game road trip, winning 5-2 against the Vegas Golden Knights at T-Mobile Arena on Thursday and losing 5-2 to the Colorado Avalanche at Pepsi Center on Saturday.

Philadelphia will keep right wing Jakub Voracek on the top line, with center Sean Couturier and left wing Claude Giroux, after they were put together in the third period against the Avalanche. Voracek replaced Travis Konecny, who will skate on a line with center Nolan Patrick and left wing Oskar Lindblom.

The Sharks are playing the second game of a back to back after losing 4-0 to the New York Islanders at Barclays Center on Monday. Goalie Aaron Dell could play his first game of the season after Martin Jones started the first three.

Players to watch

Sharks forward Joe Pavelski is three points from 700 in the NHL. He has nine points (six goals, three assists) in his past nine games against the Flyers.

Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds has two goals in his first two games.

They said it
    "It's something we've handled the last year or two, we've experienced it. I think we know how to handle it a little better now." -- Sharks center Joe Pavelski on playing without injured center Joe Thornton

"There's some parts last year where I'd get the puck and I'd just be flat footed. Now I feel like I'm getting the puck in motion and I'm moving. It makes the game a lot easier." -- Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds on his progress this season after playing all of last season with a torn pelvis

Sharks projected lineup
    Timo Meier -- Joe Pavelski -- Melker Karlsson

Tomas Hertl -- Logan Couture -- Kevin Labanc

Evander Kane -- Antti Suomela -- Joonas Donskoi

Marcus Sorensen -- Rourke Chartier -- Barclay Goodrow

Marc-Edouard Vlasic -- Erik Karlsson

Joakim Ryan -- Brent Burns

Brenden Dillon -- Justin Braun

Aaron Dell

Martin Jones

Scratched: Radim Simek, Dylan Gambrell, Tim Heed

Injured: Joe Thornton (knee)

Flyers projected lineup
    Claude Giroux -- Sean Couturier -- Jakub Voracek

Oskar Lindblom -- Nolan Patrick -- Travis Konecny

Jordan Weal -- Mikhail Vorobyev -- Wayne Simmonds

Scott Laughton -- Jori Lehtera -- Michael Raffl

Ivan Provorov -- Shayne Gostisbehere

Robert Hagg -- Andrew MacDonald

Travis Sanheim -- Radko Gudas

Brian Elliott

Calvin Pickard

Scratched: Dale Weise, Christian Folin

Injured: Michal Neuvirth (lower body), James van Riemsdyk (lower body)

Status report
    Simek, Gambrell, Heed and Dell were the only Sharks on the ice Tuesday morning. … The Flyers held an optional morning skate, with Elliott, Provorov, Gostisbehere, Raffl and Vorobyev staying off the ice. … Weal replaces van Riemsdyk in the lineup. Van Riemsdyk will be out 5-6 weeks with a lower-body injury sustained against the Avalanche.

Stat pack
    Dell earned his first NHL shutout against the Flyers on Dec. 30, 2016 and has a .962 save percentage in three games against Philadelphia. ... Elliott is 3-1-0 with a 1.91 goals-against average and .945 save percentage in his past four games against the Sharks.

Travis
    2014-2015 Ceeb Pool Champion of the World
    2016-2017 Ceeb Pool Champion of the World

https://www.nhl.com/news/san-jose-sh...ap/c-300790452

by Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK / NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor

PHILADELPHIA -- Joe Pavelski and Evander Kane each scored two goals for the San Jose Sharks in an 8-2 win against the Philadelphia Flyers at Wells Fargo Center on Tuesday.

Logan Couture, Tomas Hertl and Timo Meier scored for San Jose, and Kevin Labanc had four assists. Aaron Dell made 31 saves.

San Jose lost 4-0 at the New York Islanders on Monday to begin a four-game East Coast road trip.

"Sometimes that back-to-back game, you feel better for whatever reason," Pavelski said. "You should be a little tired, but it woke our legs up a little bit. We moved a lot better, passing was cleaner."

It was the most goals in a game for the Sharks since they scored nine against the New York Rangers on Oct. 8, 2013.

San Jose was 2-for-5 on the power play after going 0-for-10 its first three games.

"I don't think it's looked really poor, we've had some really good looks," coach Peter DeBoer said. "We weren't sticking the puck in the net across the board the last couple of games, so it was nice to break through and get rewarded."

Shayne Gostisbehere and Wayne Simmonds scored for the Flyers.

Brian Elliott made 40 saves, including 19 on 23 shots in the first period.

"We left him out to dry," Gostisbehere said. "He was our best player tonight. It could've been 8-0 after the first. ... To leave a guy out to dry like that, it's really not fair."

Philadelphia last allowed eight goals in a game against the Winnipeg Jets on Oct. 27, 2011.

Coach Dave Hakstol said there were continued breakdowns in structure.

"They got through the neutral zone easily, then in the zone, once they entered into our (defensive) zone, we were on the outside of everything," he said. "And when we were on the inside in the right spots, we were light on pucks."

The Flyers were playing their first game at home after opening the season with games at the Vegas Golden Knights and Colorado Avalanche last week.

San Jose scored the first two of four first-period goals 11 seconds apart to take a 2-0 lead. Couture kept the puck on a 2-on-1 rush and beat Elliott at 3:17, and then Pavelski batted Labanc's rebound past Elliott at 3:28.

The Sharks went ahead 3-0 when Pavelski tipped Labanc's centering pass under Elliott. It initially was called no goal on the ice, but video review showed the puck crossed the goal line at 12:21.

Kane made it 4-0 with a power-play goal at 16:42.

Gostisbehere scored for the Flyers on the power play at 4:56 of the second period, but Kane gave the Sharks a 5-1 lead at 14:46 of the period with his fourth goal.

Sharks defenseman Erik Karlsson said the message in the locker room was to keep pushing for more.

"We knew coming in after the first we were up four," he said. "If we let them go, they can easily score four in a period as well. They're a good team, they have some quality players there. We wanted to make sure we shut them down as well as we possibly could and keep hitting the gas. That's how we ended up scoring eight."

Hertl scored on the power play at 3:47 of the third to put San Jose ahead 6-1, Meier made it 7-1 at 15:21, and Goodrow scored shorthanded at 18:01 for an 8-1 lead.

Simmonds scored a power-play goal at 18:29 to make it 8-2.

They said it
    "We came in with a little bit of a chip on our shoulders. We didn't want the game in Brooklyn (against the Islanders) to affect our game today. We came in tonight really positive and focused and ready to take this game over." -- Sharks forward Kevin Labanc

"It's a tough game. It's not how we wanted to come out. I think every man in this room is better than that, including myself." -- Flyers goalie Brian Elliott

Need to know
    Pavelski's first goal was his 200th even-strength goal in the NHL. He's the second player in Sharks history with at least that many, joining Patrick Marleau (331). He's also one point from 700 in the NHL. ... Karlsson and Brent Burns each had an assist on Hertl's goal. They're the first Norris Trophy winners to assist on a goal in a regular-season game since Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger for the Anaheim Ducks on March 31, 2009. ... Gostisbehere's goal was his 38th, tying him for ninth among defensemen in Flyers history with Kimmo Timonen and Jimmy Watson.

What's next
    Sharks: At the New York Rangers on Thursday (7 p.m. ET; MSG, NBCSCA, NHL.TV)

Flyers: At the Ottawa Senators on Wednesday (7:30 p.m. ET; SN, TVAS, NBCSP, NHL.TV)

Travis

I think that OUCH! sums up that game. I actually forgot about it, but then saw the score come through on my phone. Not the score I was expecting.

Travis

33 SOG Philadelphia-Flyers.png 2 vs 8 San-Jose-Sharks.png 48 SOG

Three Stars

1. S.J C 8 J.PAVELSKI

2. S.J R 62 K.LABANC

3. S.J L 9 E.KANE

Travis