Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Boston Bruins Prospects Thread

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Continued

10. (NR) Austin Czarnik, C, 6.5B
    Signed as an undrafted free agent, 2015

Czarnik had as good a rookie season in the AHL as anyone could’ve imagined, with 20 goals and 61 points in 68 games. After he went six games without recording a point in November, he didn’t go more than three without recording at least a point the rest of the season.

Given his lack of size (5-foot-9, 161 pounds), there are questions as to whether his game will translate at the NHL level. However, the same was also said when he starred at Miami (Ohio).

9. (NR) Jeremy Lauzon, D, 6.5B
    Drafted: 2nd round, 52nd overall, 2015

In his third season in the QMJHL, Lauzon exploded on the scene with 50 points and a plus-40 rating in 46 games as Rouyn-Noranda finished in first place in the “Q” in the regular season. Lauzon served as the power play ace for the Huskies, teaming up with Philippe Myers to create a dynamic duo on the Rouyn-Noranda back line.

While additional work still needs to be made on his defensive game, Lauzon’s stock rose in 2015-16 as he emerged as an elite offensive defenseman in the CHL.

8. (7) Brandon Carlo, D, 8.0D
    Drafted: 2nd round, 37th overall, 2015

His size, reach, and physicality alone suggested Carlo, a second round pick by the Bruins in 2015, could be a top-pairing defenseman. His 2015-16 campaign, his third in the WHL, solidified that notion.

Carlo, a stay-at-home defenseman, made tremendous strides on his offensive game last season, with his plus-eight a vast improvement from the aggregate minus-28 he put up through his first two WHL seasons.

7. (17) Colin Miller, D, 6.5B
    Acquired from Los Angeles via trade, 2015

Miller had an excellent start to the season with the Bruins, with 11 points in his first 25 games to go along with a plus-seven rating, Miller thrived offensively, playing second- and third-pairing minutes, but wasn’t up to snuff defensively to remain in the Bruins lineup in the second half of the season.

Miller is a gifted offensive defenseman who has the potential of being a top-four defenseman, but needs to work on his play when the puck isn’t on his stick.

6. (6) Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, C, 7.5C
    Drafted: 2nd round, 45th overall, 2015

Patrice Bergeron 2.0. That’s what Grzelcyk – and many others – have coined the 19 year old Swedish center with a season of college hockey under his belt.

Forsbacka Karlsson quickly became David Quinn’s go-to pivot in his freshman season with the Terriers, which was no small task as he had to fill the role undertaken by Jack Eichel just a season prior. He earned himself a spot on the Hockey East All-Rookie team.

The Swede is mature beyond his years in all three zones, his skill and hockey sense his greatest attributes. He won’t be sticking around Comm. Ave much longer.

5. (9) Jake DeBrusk, LW, 7.5C
    Drafted: 1st round, 14th overall, 2015

Another dynamic offensive talent, DeBrusk is a smooth skater with a plus-shot and has the ability to be among the best pure goal scorers of any player in the Bruins system, as demonstrated by his 42 goals in 2014-15 with Swift Current. His total sagged to 21 in 61 games (0.34 goals per game in 15-16, down from 0.58 in 14-15), but could be a dark horse to break camp with the Bruins, following a good offseason.

4. (2) Jakub Zboril, D, 7.5C
    Drafted: 1st round, 13th overall, 2015

A bit of a head-scratcher when he was taken 13th overall by the Bruins in 2015, Zboril has a good NHL upside with a strong two-way game. While not flashy, he’s an effective puck mover and a good skater. While his offensive numbers were down in his second season playing for the QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs (0.4 points per game in 2015-16, down from 0.75), his plus-minus rating spiked from plus-two to a plus-10 in his sophomore season.

3. (13) Zach Senyshyn, RW, 7.5C
    Drafted: 1st round, 15th overall, 2015

While he put up 26 goals and 45 points in his first full OHL season, questions lingered regarding Senyshyn’s productivity after being buried in the Sault Ste. Marie lineup that saw seven forwards score 20 goals. The real potential of the 19 year old first round pick would be realized in 2015-16, when he received more top-line minutes, facing tougher competition. All Senyshyn did was lead the Greyhounds with 45 goals and was one of the league’s best goal scorers.

Maybe the most well-rounded among Bruins prospects, Senyshyn is a combination of size, skill, creativity, and hockey sense – a combination that screams of future NHL success.

2. (1) Malcolm Subban, G, 7.5C
    Drafted: 1st round, 24th overall, 2012

A rough start and a fractured larynx sandwiched what was an impressive season for Subban, who could be in the NHL next season.

Subban began the 2015-16 season with a cringeworthy .847 save percentage through his first six games, allowing 23 goals in those contests. In the final 20, however, he looked more like the netminder the Bruins took in the first round of the 2012 draft, with a .928 save percentage and 2.20 goals against average, allowing more than three goals just once.

With Jonas Gustavsson set to be a free agent, Subban will push for the backup goaltender role for the Bruins next season.

1. (NR) Frank Vatrano, LW, 7.5C
    Signed as an undrafted free agent, 2015

Vatrano went from an unheralded, undrafted free agent signing to the Bruins top prospect in a matter of months. The 22 year old, who played two seasons at UMass, had an AHL-leading 36 goals in 36 games in his first professional season. The next closest goal scorer – Hershey’s Chris Bourque, with 30 – needed 72 games to reach that number. Factoring in his eight goals in 39 games with the NHL Bruins, he had 44 goals on the year.

A skilled player with a lethal shot, Vatrano lost 15 pounds and improved his conditioning upon signing with the Bruins. The improved condition looks to have had a profound affect on his game.
    Two time winner of the "Zukes" Cup (2011, 2012)

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Top prospects for Boston Bruins

Replenished pipeline could start paying off in NHL this season

by Matt Kalman / NHL.com Correspondent

August 15th, 2016

NHL.com is providing in-depth prospect analysis for each of its 30 teams throughout August. Today, the Boston Bruins.

One of Don Sweeney's goals when he replaced Peter Chiarelli as Boston Bruins general manager in May 2015 was to replenish the prospect pipeline.

Trading defenseman Dougie Hamilton to the Calgary Flames and forward Milan Lucic to the Los Angeles Kings for draft picks and prospects, plus keeping most of their picks, allowed the Bruins to make 16 selections, including nine in the first two rounds, in the past two NHL Drafts.

Those picks, combined with the players who were progressing through the system, could give Boston a bright future.

Here are the Bruins' top five prospects, according to NHL.com:

1. Frank Vatrano, C

How acquired: Signed as free agent March 13, 2015

Last season: Providence (AHL): 36 GP, 36-19-55; Boston: 39 GP, 8-3-11

The 5-foot-9, 201-pound forward was the top goal-scorer in the American Hockey League and showed a knack in the NHL. The former University of Massachusetts-Amherst player went through some growing pains in his first full professional season but gained experience and figured out ways to contribute without scoring.

"Points aren't everything sometimes," Vatrano, 22, said. "Sometimes you'll play good for 10 games and you're not finding the net or getting points. So I think it's just keep playing your game that you always play and try not to get away from it just because you're not scoring. Don't hold your stick tighter or change the way you play. I think for me it's being an energy guy, be physical, be good in all areas and be reliable everywhere."

Projected NHL arrival: This season

2. Charlie McAvoy, D

How acquired: Selected with No. 14 pick of 2016 NHL Draft

Last season: Boston University (NCAA): 37 GP, 3-22-25

Any time the name Drew Doughty comes up in reference to a defenseman prospect, you know the expectations are high. McAvoy (6-foot, 208) thrived as the youngest player in NCAA hockey last season (18) and could be in the NHL after one more college season.

"As advertised for me," Sweeney said of McAvoy's performance during Bruins development camp. "Obviously it's not a physical environment. There's competitiveness and battling for pucks and space, but we're not looking for players to step up in the neutral [zone], which Charlie has shown he has a willingness to do and wants to do. Even as a freshman in college he was looking to do that. He moves around so very well. I think we look at the two-way component to his game, and the upside on both sides of the puck, those are guys that log a lot of minutes at the NHL level and I think he tracks in the same regard."

Projected NHL arrival: Next season

3. Malcolm Subban, G

How acquired: Selected with No. 24 pick of 2012 NHL Draft

Last season: Providence (AHL): 27 GP, 14-8-5, 2.46 GAA, .911 SV%

Subban, 22, was beginning to look like a future NHL No. 1 goaltender when he sustained a fractured larynx after being hit in the throat by a shot during warmups with Providence on Feb. 6. He missed the remainder of the season but said he will be back at full strength this season and hopes to be able to pick up where he left off.

"One of the biggest improvements in my game, when I was on a roll last year, I was being more calm in the net," Subban (6-2, 200) said. "I wasn't moving around as much and staying more compact. I think that's why I was able to play so consistent."

Projected NHL arrival: This season

Danton Heinen of the Denver Pioneers skates against the North Dakota Fighting Hawks.

4. Danton Heinen, C

How acquired: Selected with No. 116 pick of 2014 NHL Draft

Last season: Denver (NCAA): 41 GP, 20-28-48; Providence (AHL): 2 GP, 0-2-2

Heinen, 21, had a solid sophomore college season, including three more points than the 45 he had as a freshman, and improved his two-way game. He signed a three-year, entry-level contract April 11, and the Bruins are counting on the 6-1, 185-pound forward to push for an NHL job.

"He's the type of player, he can play with good players because he's got a high hockey IQ and he's got really good skill," Bruins assistant coach Jay Pandolfo said. "I think anywhere you put him he's smart enough to figure it out."

5. Brandon Carlo, D

How acquired: Selected with No. 37 pick of 2015 NHL Draft

Last season: Tri-City (WHL): 52 GP, 4-23-27; Providence (AHL): 7 GP, 0-1-1

Carlo, 19, has the size (6-5, 200) to be a force, but the Bruins don't want to pigeonhole him as a stay-at-home defenseman.

"I don't think he's ever going to be a high offensive guy," Pandolfo said. "But he'll be a good shut-down guy that can [score]. He sees the ice well enough and he can make some plays."

Jagr tells the crowd that he wanted to make a beautiful goal but ... "It hit my ass," he said.

"You know what was great, was today one of his fans mooned me, and he had Happy, written on his ass, HA on one cheek, and then sure enough PPY, right there on the other" ~ Shooter McGavin

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Prospects' Postseasons in Full Swing

While the Bruins are prepping for their first-round matchup against the Ottawa Senators, a bevy of Bruins prospects are also bearing down for their postseason grinds.

•Zach Senyshyn has been a spark plug for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds all season, scoring 42 goals in just 59 games.The 15th overall pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft has three goals and an assist in the Greyhounds eight playoff games, helping them win their first playoff series and take a 2-1 series lead over the Owen Sound Attack in the second round.

•Jack Becker, a Bruins seventh-round pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, is gearing up for the United States Hockey League Quarterfinals with the Sioux Falls Stampede. The Minnesota native scored 16 goals and added 12 assists in 49 games this season.

•Jeremy Lauzon's six points (three goals and three assists) in six games during the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies' first-round matchup against the Halifax Mooseheads played a key role in advancing his team further into the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League postseason. Lauzon, a second-round pick of the Bruins during the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, showed no signs of slowing down, adding two assists in a 6-2 victory over the Chicoutimi Sagueneens on Friday.

•Jakub Zboril, who collected nine goals an 32 assists from the blue line with the Saint John's Sea Dogs of the QMJHL, has helped his team reach the second round of the postseason. The 13th overall pick of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft has a goal and an assist in four games thus far.

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Brand New Prospects page...

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/team/prospects

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries

The Legend Killer
    Blog Entries
    Prospect Olivier Galipeau defects from Habs, signs with Bruins

Yeah, you read that right.

By SkyonAir@SkyonAir_ Updated Jun 27, 2018, 2:21pm EDT

Well this isn't something you hear every day.

TVASports' Mikaël Lancelette announced that a player previously set to join the Habs development camp had a sudden and seemingly permanent detour to the Greater Boston Area:

Revirement de situation dans le dossier Olivier Galipeau : il s’est désisté du camp des Canadiens et a signé un contrat avec les Bruins de Boston dans les dernières heures. #tvasports

For the non-french speakers (edited for clarity):

"Change of Plans for Olivier Galipeau. He left the Canadiens Camp and signed with the Boston Bruins in the last few hours"

So let's learn about our newly beloved turncoat here. Galipeau is a 21 year old, 6'0, 200+ lb. Defenseman whose spent the last four years being a fairly productive overage player for Val D'Or, Chicotimi, and Acadie-Bathurst, usually having anywhere from 30 to 40 points a season when he wasn't getting traded.

My best guess as to where he's going is straight to Boston's development camp, then off to don the Gold and Black of Providence, but who knows? Maybe he wants to show up the Habs so badly he works his way into a 6th-7th defender spot.

Either way, Welcome Olivier to the Boston Bruins!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12